Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is the Zone Guide working or is it autocompleting?

SerafinaWaterstar
SerafinaWaterstar
✭✭✭✭✭
Not on pc but would like clarification about the Zone Guide.

It has been suggested that different character progress can still be monitored through this, but there was some talk on the pts thread that it was autocompleting if the zone had already been done by another character.

So how is it working? Is it allowing individual character tracking or is that broken now too?
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    if your not on PC it sounds like another issue

the only thing i know about zone guide is that the account wide achievements is borking it for people who used it, which wouldnt be on console for another 2 weeks
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not on pc but would like clarification about the Zone Guide.

It has been suggested that different character progress can still be monitored through this, but there was some talk on the pts thread that it was autocompleting if the zone had already been done by another character.

So how is it working? Is it allowing individual character tracking or is that broken now too?

As I understand it the Zone guide uses achievements to monitor some of the progress. If there are no individual character achievements to count from, well... :/
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm, never said it was a problem for on console/for me at the moment - it is a question as to how it is ‘working’ now the Update is live, and if it is still actually as FUBAR as it was on the pts.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's the same as in the latest version of the PTS.

I've just checked on PC - logging into a level 6 character who has only done the tutorial and some of Khenarthi's Roost (after logging into all my characters once to unlock achievements) and when I look at other zones everything shows as uncompleted except Delves, World Events (dolmens, geyser's etc) and world bosses.

(Some maps also show 1 wayshrine unlocked but that's intended and not new.)

The things which show as completed in the zone guide don't actually appear on the map - but it means when you discover them you'll get the white completed icon instead of the black initial one. If you want to make sure you do everything on that character the best approach is probably to do them as you discover them. But I think this is supposed to be fixed at some point.
    Edited by Danikat on 14 March 2022 17:38
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm, never said it was a problem for on console/for me at the moment - it is a question as to how it is ‘working’ now the Update is live, and if it is still actually as FUBAR as it was on the pts.

apologies, i took "not on pc" as you dont play the game on the PC lol, not that you were just not currently in the game right now
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here's what I'm seeing on PC on a new character started a few days ago, having completed a zone with another already:

1. The map is NOT prepopulated. Apart from the one wayshrine and the dungeons / trials / houses, you cannot see other locations' icons yet.

2. Story quests are not marked as complete in the zone guide or map.

4. Wayshrines are not shown on the map and do not show up as completed.

3. Delves, group delves, world bosses, dolmens ARE shown as completed (though they don't appear on the map).

4. Public dungeons are not shown as completed and are not on the map.

5. Skyshards, shalidors library books, mundus stones, set stations, points of interest do not show as completed and do not appear on the map.

6. Striking locales do not show up on the map progress bar as completed and do not show completed in the zone guide, nor do the locations show on the map, but they ARE ticked off in the hover over in the map and in the zone guide.

Basically, for most purposes an alt will feel like progressing for the first time. The notable exceptions are delves, world bosses and dolmens, but you will still need to find them on the map.
    Edited by Northwold on 14 March 2022 17:37
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »
    So here's what I'm seeing on PC on a new character started a few days ago, having completed a zone with another already:

1. The map is NOT prepopulated. Apart from the one wayshrine and the dungeons / trials / houses, you cannot see other locations' icons yet.

2. Story quests are not marked as complete in the zone guide or map.

4. Wayshrines are not shown on the map and do not show up as completed.

3. Delves, group delves, world bosses, dolmens ARE shown as completed (though they don't appear on the map).

4. Public dungeons are not shown as completed and are not on the map.

5. Skyshards, shalidors library books, mundus stones, set stations, points of interest do not show as completed and do not appear on the map.

6. Striking locales do not show up on the map progress bar as completed and do not show completed in the zone guide, nor do the locations show on the map, but they ARE ticked off in the hover over in the map and in the zone guide.

Basically, for most purposes an alt will feel like progressing for the first time. The notable exceptions are delves, world bosses and dolmens, but you will still need to find them on the map.

Thank you. When you approach the skyshard (a specific skyshard that one of your other characters has gotten before, and thus has the achievement filled in for), does it "auto fill" in the map? As in, even though you haven't collected it on the alt, the map turns it white anyways because of the achievement for it once you get close enough?
  • Northwold
    Northwold
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolf_Eye wrote: »

Thank you. When you approach the skyshard (a specific skyshard that one of your other characters has gotten before, and thus has the achievement filled in for), does it "auto fill" in the map? As in, even though you haven't collected it on the alt, the map turns it white anyways because of the achievement for it once you get close enough?

Handing that question to someone else as I'd have to find one to tell you and I need to do some work. :-D

• Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Northwold wrote: »

Handing that question to someone else as I'd have to find one to tell you and I need to do some work. :-D

That's ok. Best of luck with work! :) Thank you again for all the info!
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So how do you track which delves, world events & world bosses a character has NOT done?!
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    So how do you track which delves, world events & world bosses a character has NOT done?!

Delves, group delves, world bosses, dolmens ARE shown as completed [in the Zone Guide] (though they don't appear on the map).
    Tam! RUGH!
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Delves, group delves, world bosses, dolmens ARE shown as completed [in the Zone Guide] (though they don't appear on the map).

That does not answer the question.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

To answer your question, you can't. This is 'Working as intended" according to the new AwA.
    I refer you to the PTS Thread that outlines what is happening with our alts and there individual history, which is now erased.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7540795#Comment_7540795
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The icons for delves, etc., on the map don't turn white unless the character has done them. My main has completed all delves in all zones. My alt has not. She's currently in Stormhaven. She has found a delve but not completed it yet, and the icon is not white. It looks like it did before. Can't speak for world bosses because my main and alt have done all of them, but I'd imagine it works the same way.

Oh, and it works the same way for skyshards too. My main has them all. My alt has discovered one but not used it yet (was out with guildies at the time and didn't want to detour) and the icon is on the map but it is black.

Also, the count for how many things you've done (delves, towns, skyshards, etc. - the map sidebar if you use a gamepad) is also per character. It's not completely filled in for my alt, even though my main has done everything in the zone.
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    The icons for delves, etc., on the map don't turn white unless the character has done them. My main has completed all delves in all zones. My alt has not. She's currently in Stormhaven. She has found a delve but not completed it yet, and the icon is not white. It looks like it did before. Can't speak for world bosses because my main and alt have done all of them, but I'd imagine it works the same way.

Oh, and it works the same way for skyshards too. My main has them all. My alt has discovered one but not used it yet (was out with guildies at the time and didn't want to detour) and the icon is on the map but it is black.

Also, the count for how many things you've done (delves, towns, skyshards, etc. - the map sidebar if you use a gamepad) is also per character. It's not completely filled in for my alt, even though my main has done everything in the zone.

Thank you for this. I have not had a chance to see all of how this is live now, and not sure what they have fixed or not since PTS. :)
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭

They don't appear on the map UNTIL YOU FIND THEM. You "keep track of them" by exploring and playing the game. Basic stuff.
    Tam! RUGH!
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually, there seems to be a map bug. Even though my alt has done all the world bosses herself, the icons are all black on the map. This is in Stormhaven.
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    @AzuraFan Read about this earlier today. Saw a potential fix: log out from your char, log back in with another character and log out, and log back in again with the original character that currently has that issue.
    Tam! RUGH!
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I just did that and discovered the fix myself and came on to edit my post to say as much. Thanks for letting me know in case I hadn't discovered it myself. :)
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They don't appear on the map UNTIL YOU FIND THEM. You "keep track of them" by exploring and playing the game. Basic stuff.

No, with the glorious new world of AWA they can already be on the map before being discovered if another character has done them.

Zone guide *was* useful to see which ones you were missing but this appears to be slightly shonky now.
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    Tam! RUGH!
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭
    @AzuraFan No, thank you for reporting your findings about how things are working on live. Looks like there was much gnashing of teeth about absolutely nothing.
    Tam! RUGH!
  • Danel_Vadan
    Danel_Vadan
    ✭✭✭

No, with the glorious new world of AWA they can already be on the map before being discovered if another character has done them.

Zone guide *was* useful to see which ones you were missing but this appears to be slightly shonky now.

Except they're not showing as completed and the Guide appears to be working as usual.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7540838/#Comment_7540838
    Tam! RUGH!
  • SerafinaWaterstar
    SerafinaWaterstar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Except they're not showing as completed and the Guide appears to be working as usual.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7540838/#Comment_7540838

After the mess on the pts and the slightly conflicting replies here, please could someone perhaps post some screenshots of a zone guide from the perspective of different characters so it is possible to see? Ta.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Two screenshots to demonstrate.

Note that I don't use addons and I use a gamepad.

This is the map for my main, who has done everything in Stormhaven.

t34zjze18rz7.png

This is Stormhaven for my alt. You can see that she has discovered a delve (in the south, where all the quest markers are) but hasn't done it yet. It's black. She has also discovered a skyshard in the east but hasn't picked it up. Also black.

Nothing is on the map that she hasn't discovered herself.

aonkfqk7tr6t.png

IOW, things look just as they did before the patch.
  • colossusx
    colossusx
    ✭✭
    So maybe its folks' addons causing the issues?
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @AzuraFan did your alt get close enough to the delve to get the discovery xp and have the delve remain on the map after you moved away?
    I haven't spent much time on live yet but my pts experience was that if you didn't get very close to the delve, it stayed black. Once you were close enough to get the discovery xp, it turned white.
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kringled_1 wrote: »
    @AzuraFan did your alt get close enough to the delve to get the discovery xp and have the delve remain on the map after you moved away?
    I haven't spent much time on live yet but my pts experience was that if you didn't get very close to the delve, it stayed black. Once you were close enough to get the discovery xp, it turned white.

I just tried it and when I reached the entrance to the delve, it turned white. That's not ideal because of the skyshard still inside. Hopefully they'll fix that.

The same isn't true of skyshards. I found another one and it stays black unless you claim it.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I think the built in sky shard indicators track accurately, the main limitation is that you have to get quite close before they show (I was testing in that same delve last week, you have to be in the delve and about halfway to the shard before it shows)
  • Grizzbeorn
    Grizzbeorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

If a character who has not acquired that skyshard approaches it, it shows up as black ("unacquired") on the map.

What I am also seeing, beyond skyshards, regarding the map and its Zone Guide legend... all characters are being shown in the legend as having completed delves, dolmens, and World Bosses completed by your other characters that they have not completed themselves, though the icons on the map are still black for the ones they haven't.
    Edited by Grizzbeorn on 14 March 2022 20:08
      PC/NA Warden Main