The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Magick Necro has been underwhelming for me. Should I switch to stamina?

Sleeping_OwI
Sleeping_OwI
✭✭✭
I made this Magcro last month. The gameplay is kinda fun but overall it has been quite lackluster.

1- I always have sustain issues without Consuming Trap.
2- Damage output is lower than my other classes, even after a month of practice and experience and getting a lot better.
3- The damage from Blastbone which is a big chunk of my dps doesn't proc the ring of Pale Order and doesn't heal me which noticably reduces my survivability in solo arenas.
4- Rotation is complicated and needs extra effort and focus but isn't rewarding enough in return dps-wise.

I should note that I never do trials with this character, only dungeons and solo arenas, so the group buff from Colossus ult isn't too important for me.

My friend mains a Stamcro and gets decent results with it. Since my necro is Dark Elf and already has medium armor max leveled, should I turn it into stam? If so, which weapons, sets and skills should I use? My main StamDK uses bow/dual wield, so I'd prefer to use 2 Handed for a change, but I'm not sure.
How different is Stamcro from Magcro? Would it fix any of the issues I'm having?
What do you guys think?

Update:
I turned my MagCro to Stam with an armory slot, and I gotta say I'm having even more fun now. Maybe it's that my main is also stam so I'm just better with stam, or maybe it's because of how 2 handed works and feels, but it feels stronger and more fun. With 2 handed I'm always right there in the action instead of staying at a distance casting my little DOTs all the time lol.
Rotation is almost as complicated as mag, but at least I'm more experienced now, and as long as I don't mess it up the damage is good,. Damage would be even more if I used Bow/2 handed instead of 2h/2h, but it's fine, it's fun.
Also somehow sustain is a LOT better than mag, partly because of 2 handed's passive. Literally the only times my stamina gets low is when I'm sprinting a lot AND fighting.
So to anyone having trouble with MagCro dd, give stam a try, you might actually like it!
Edited by Sleeping_OwI on 27 November 2021 00:38
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stamcro in my experience is far simpler than Magcro.

If you haven't saved over both armory slots, you can get a full free respec with one slot and leave Magicka saved on the other.
    Edited by Fennwitty on 13 November 2021 17:17
    PC NA
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    I found it to be the same.

I tried a few different setups but didn't find anything that worked, I ended up respecing to a tank.
  • RD065
    RD065
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's the crust of it. I have much fun with the Magcro but lackluster for sure.
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been steady devoting myself to this class but I fall short. I hit 80k dps in my magcro and mag DK but magcro. ….I only hit 57-60k. And that’s after practicing. Mine is also a dark elf. I don’t know what to do. I feel like skull takes to long to cast and weaving light attacks feel clunky compared to other classes for me. I suck trying to play it and need help lol
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s the hardest hitting mag class right now if you chase the meta. Seeing 119K numbers from players on the dummy and even higher in content. It’s clunky to play though and rotation nearly as unforgiving as magblade. The real absurdity though is seeing all the overlapping Kinras procs. That is what the end game has become. Bahsei and Kinras on all the toons (stam included)
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magcro plays VERY similarly to Stamcro. If you dont like a magcro rotation, you arent going to like a stamcro rotation, and you survivability certainly wont get better. You probably wont like a warden rotation either for that matter. Both classes rely on a skill that needs to be cast every third skill in a rotation, and if you don't, your damage suffers hard. Blastbones is actually worse than shalks, because if you get too far from melee range, it goes from every 3rd cast to every 4th cast, which makes it easy to miss a GCD if you thought it was going to be ready and it wasnt.

Another thing to consider is that while its not hard to break 100k with a static rotation on a target dummy, I dont think a static rotation works nearly as well in actual content on a necro as it does on some other classes. I found myself having to play it dynamically in actual content if I wanted decent numbers, unless the boss literally just stood there.

From a PVE perspective, I really struggle to suggest necro as a class unless you need one for a specific raid group. They favor a DOT rotation, which is not ideal in group content and shorter fights, as it takes a while to get your damage rolling. They are great for buffing a raid, and if you have a boss that doesn't move much, you can really do a lot of sustained damage, but they really struggle in mobile fights. That combined with the necessity and inconsistency of blastbones, makes me suggest going elsewhere.

I just did a TTT prog on my Magcro. Very high damage group and they needed a buffcro, so I gave it a go. While it did get better as we progressed, I always felt like I was doing less ST damage with more effort than I should have been. So glad to be back on a nightblade in my IR and soon to be GH progs. NB rotations are hard, maybe harder than a necro in some respects, but I feel like the difficulty is rewarded.

PVP is a different animal. Stamcro is pretty darn strong, I would certainly say stronger than magcro in my experience. Necros do have a lot of utility if you build them correctly in PVP.

I made this Magcro last month. The gameplay is kinda fun but overall it has been quite lackluster.

2- Damage output is lower than my other classes, even after a month of practice and experience and getting a lot better.
    3- The damage from Blastbone which is a big chunk of my dps doesn't proc the ring of Pale Order and doesn't heal me which noticably reduces my survivability in solo arenas.
    4- Rotation is complicated and needs extra effort and focus but isn't rewarding enough in return dps-wise.

I should note that I never do trials with this character, only dungeons and solo arenas, so the group buff from Colossus ult isn't too important for me.

My friend mains a Stamcro and gets decent results with it. Since my necro is Dark Elf and already has medium armor max leveled, should I turn it into stam? If so, which weapons, sets and skills should I use? My main StamDK uses bow/dual wield, so I'd prefer to use 2 Handed for a change, but I'm not sure.
    How different is Stamcro from Magcro? Would it fix any of the issues I'm having?
    What do you guys think?

TLDR:

Bold 1: If you don't raid in 12 man content, pick another class altogether.

Bold 2: Not much and No.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on 17 November 2021 19:56
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been steady devoting myself to this class but I fall short. I hit 80k dps in my magcro and mag DK but magcro. ….I only hit 57-60k. And that’s after practicing. Mine is also a dark elf. I don’t know what to do. I feel like skull takes to long to cast and weaving light attacks feel clunky compared to other classes for me. I suck trying to play it and need help lol

@DUTCH_REAPER
    If you care about damage in PVE and aren't picky about how you do it:

Practice/Play a magsorc until you can break 100k on a dummy. Once you do, Practice/Play a mag NB until you can break about 95k. Then, if you want, play anything else. It might sound silly, but it's the best advice you will get.

Sorc teaches you everything you need to know about damage, and you can play in a few different ways to keep things fresh.

1. You can easily play and get the feel for a spammable like Force Pulse or Ele weapon, or even a short channel (useful with templar as well) by hard casting frags as your spammable.

2. You will get the feel of a very simply reactionary skill like Frags that you cast on proc, which teaches you the basics of doing things dynamically. It will also help you with things like managing mericless resolve on a NB or waiting for Necro skills to be avaiable down the road. If you cant manage frags, skills like merciless will ruin your day.

3. You have an obvious class center piece skill to build a rotation around in daedric prey. Needs cast every 6 skills (similar to templar POTL), can be done from range, and is much easier than Shalks/Blastbones which are every 3, but the idea is the same.

4. You have a few (Ground) DOTs to manage, but nothing out of the ordinary with Blockade, Orbs, and your Familar if you run one. Always master a few before you try to master a lot. Classes like DK or Necro are much more dependent on DOTs, and if you cant manage them dynamically, you are going to feel the damage loss

5. You have the option of using an execute, but it wont make or break your rotation. A lot of classes do have a separate execute rotation that does make or break their rotation (NB, Templar), and this is good practice. If you don't want to use one, you can easily skip it.

6. Your pets will smooth out your mistakes. Sure they can be a visual headache, but they are generally easy to manage and will keep your damage high if you struggle or make mistakes with the rest of your rotation.

7. Skills like Boundless Storm, Crit Surge, and Hardened Ward make sorcs very hard to kill, dead DPS is no DPS.

They are the easiest way to break 100k with a range magic build, and mastering them will teach you skills that will help every other class you can play. A NB is basically a Sorc on Steroids in the DPS department. Higher ceiling in a lot of content, but more reliant on a perfect rotation and weave. That is why i suggest start with sorc, then go NB, then branch out. Dont be surprised if you cant pull as much DPS on a dummy on a NB as a sorc, I certainly cant.

If you are on Magcro and not north of 90k, you are failing at one or more of the above elements. Practice on sorc because it is easier and more forgiving.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on 17 November 2021 22:21
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1. Stamcro also has sustain issues. A lot of builds out there are group content builds where the necro class is highly dependent on synergies for sustain. You might need to swap out some skills or glyphs if you are running more solo content or pugs.
    2. See #4
    3. Try using the scythe instead of the ring to heal yourself. Or the wraith/ghost heal
    4. Yep. Its s tough one. Lots of varying timers. The key is to keep the tether up, both for DPS and sustain.

While it is the top DD and has been for a while, Magblades and Magplars are not that far behind. In fact, I get more DPS out of my Magblade than my Magcro.

Keep at it. Once you figure it out, its a great DD class
  • Sleeping_OwI
    Sleeping_OwI
    ✭✭✭
    Magcro plays VERY similarly to Stamcro. If you dont like a magcro rotation, you arent going to like a stamcro rotation, and you survivability certainly wont get better. You probably wont like a warden rotation either for that matter. Both classes rely on a skill that needs to be cast every third skill in a rotation, and if you don't, your damage suffers hard. Blastbones is actually worse than shalks, because if you get too far from melee range, it goes from every 3rd cast to every 4th cast, which makes it easy to miss a GCD if you thought it was going to be ready and it wasnt.

Another thing to consider is that while its not hard to break 100k with a static rotation on a target dummy, I dont think a static rotation works nearly as well in actual content on a necro as it does on some other classes. I found myself having to play it dynamically in actual content if I wanted decent numbers, unless the boss literally just stood there.

From a PVE perspective, I really struggle to suggest necro as a class unless you need one for a specific raid group. They favor a DOT rotation, which is not ideal in group content and shorter fights, as it takes a while to get your damage rolling. They are great for buffing a raid, and if you have a boss that doesn't move much, you can really do a lot of sustained damage, but they really struggle in mobile fights. That combined with the necessity and inconsistency of blastbones, makes me suggest going elsewhere.

I just did a TTT prog on my Magcro. Very high damage group and they needed a buffcro, so I gave it a go. While it did get better as we progressed, I always felt like I was doing less ST damage with more effort than I should have been. So glad to be back on a nightblade in my IR and soon to be GH progs. NB rotations are hard, maybe harder than a necro in some respects, but I feel like the difficulty is rewarded.

PVP is a different animal. Stamcro is pretty darn strong, I would certainly say stronger than magcro in my experience. Necros do have a lot of utility if you build them correctly in PVP.

What do you guys think?

TLDR:

Bold 1: If you don't raid in 12 man content, pick another class altogether.

Bold 2: Not much and No.

A little update for anyone interested:
    I turned my MagCro to Stam with an armory slot, and I gotta say I'm having even more fun now. Maybe it's that my main is also stam so I'm just better with stam, or maybe it's because of how 2 handed works and feels, but it feels stronger and more fun. With 2 handed I'm always right there in the action instead of staying at a distance casting my little DOTs all the time lol.
    Rotation is almost as complicated as mag, but at least I'm more experienced now, and as long as I don't mess it up the damage is good,. Damage would be even more if I used Bow/2 handed instead of 2h/2h, but it's fine, it's fun.
    Also somehow sustain is a LOT better than mag, partly because of 2 handed's passive. Literally the only times my stamina ever gets low is when I'm sprinting AND fighting.
    So to anyone having trouble with MagCro dd, give stam a try, you might actually like it!
    Edited by Sleeping_OwI on 27 November 2021 00:40
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Why not just try it out. Save a magica spec in Amoury and use other slot to blank build out and then do stamina