The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Vet DLC dungeon DPS

rexagamemnon
rexagamemnon
✭✭✭✭✭
Just trying to get an idea of the recommended DPS for vet DLC dungeons. Please place numbers and reasons/explanations. Also opinions on PUG vet DLC dungeons.
I see far to often people who que for vet dungeons dlc or not, and they dont even know any mechs. One could simply listen to a youtube video while going through dungeon and that would help almost infinitely better for the group. One does not have to study mechs for hours without end for dlc dungeons ive noticed in my experience.
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'd say 25k be the minimum but the higher the better.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 25k listed above would likely be fine. More is always better. More important is the ability to stay alive. Knowing the mechanics would be a huge help as well.

Keep in mind that some fights get much, much easier if dps passes a certain high threshold due to the ability to skip phases or mechanics that repeat over and over.
  • Magdalina
    Magdalina
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Highly depends what we're measuring the dps against. The standard is the trial dummy and for that I'd say somewhere north of 40k, but dungeon dps is going to differ majorly from that. Now the actual numbers you will see in a boss fight...those are hugely dependant on support roles (if tank isn't holding the boss in place and healer isn't providing buffs and helping with sustain, dps is gonna plummet regardless of actual dps skill) and number of ads in the fight. But I'd say that min group dps on single-target bosses that I could complete vet dlc places with was around 30k - but that was pushing it and making it significantly more painful than it should've been. 40k+ should be alright, not optimal but passable. The more the better obviously.

Side note, I don't mind people not knowing mechs, gotta start somewhere, but I do mind people not listening when I explain those mechs that they just died to. Like, c'mon, sure it can be confusing at first but at least make an effort, don't just flat ignore all the instructions...
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I started doing those years ago my first parses wielded me around 25-30k on 3-6 mil dummies and it was kinda enough to not be a fifth leg some times, obviously you'll be performing way better with said dps and experience you'll gain along the way, even with lower numbers experience with mechanics and not losing track of things is most important.
  • Alutora
    Alutora
    ✭✭✭
    N3CR01 wrote: »

25k on trial dummy is about 15k dps no trial buffs and no parsing food. Adding the fact that in real content you have to move, avoid red, do specific mechs, that’s about 10k dps pure. Which is miserably low.

Wouldn’t wanna get grouped with 2x 10k dps for vet DoM.

Even if you hit 25k dps on 3M dummy (no trial buffs), it’s still extremely low. I’d say this is acceptable for normal content and easier non DLC vets. I’m not going to play the acceptable police though, you’re free to queue for any content you like. But wouldn’t wanna see you get kicked from the group because of this. It doesn’t feel good and you won’t have nice experience pugging.

I’d suggest that if you’re able to hit 65k on trial dummy, you’re pretty much ready for any vet DLC dungeon, HM included. Assuming you know mechs, you will never be carried.

As for the pugging vet DLCs, I run just with groups these days, but when I first started doing vet DLC content, I’ve pugged every. single. one.

Some of them are surprisingly easy, some of them more difficult. But I guarantee you 100% that all of them are perfectly puggable. (My first MhK HM was in a pug. We all googled mechs and after a hour of wiping we managed to beat it, no voice comms.)

It always helps to have solid tank and at least one DD that knows what he’s doing, but as long as you all have patience and are willing to learn and understand mechs, you will get through everything.

One tip I can give you, if you don’t feel like you’re quite there with your dps yet to queue for vet DLC, queue as a healer. (And I mean actual healer, not a fake one.) If you have bad DD or underperforming tank in the group, it’s immediately clear and those roles get kicked often. If you’re a healer, as long as you heal and throw orbs, no one will kick you. You can kind of dip your feet to the vet DLC content without having a lot of pressure of putting out high numbers as a DD. The amount of green, low cp healers I’ve carried through vet content it’s high, but they’re there just to heal and throw orbs, so it doesn’t matter.

(I’m aware that skilled healer can provide much more for the group, and you feel the difference with a really good one, but at the same time, no one will expect from a 300cp heal to have masters, SPC and MA. As long as I’m getting healed and orbs time to time, it’s all g.)
    Edited by Alutora on 16 November 2021 23:31
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alutora wrote: »

25k on trial dummy is about 15k dps no trial buffs and no parsing food. Adding the fact that in real content you have to move, avoid red, do specific mechs, that’s about 10k dps pure. Which is miserably low.

Even if you hit 25k dps on 3M dummy (no trial buffs), it’s still extremely low. I’d say this is acceptable for normal content and easier non DLC vets. I’m not going to play the acceptable police though, you’re free to queue for any content you like. But wouldn’t wanna see you get kicked from the group because of this. It doesn’t feel good and you won’t have nice experience pugging.

I’d suggest that if you’re able to hit 65k on trial dummy, you’re pretty much ready for any vet DLC dungeon, HM included. Assuming you know mechs, you will never be carried.

As for the pugging vet DLCs, I run just with groups these days, but when I first started doing vet DLC content, I’ve pugged every. single. one.

Some of them are surprisingly easy, some of them more difficult. But I guarantee you 100% that all of them are perfectly puggable. (My first MhK HM was in a pug. We all googled mechs and after a hour of wiping we managed to beat it, no voice comms.)

It always helps to have solid tank and at least one DD that knows what he’s doing, but as long as you all have patience and are willing to learn and understand mechs, you will get through everything.

One tip I can give you, if you don’t feel like you’re quite there with your dps yet to queue for vet DLC, queue as a healer. (And I mean actual healer, not a fake one.) If you have bad DD or underperforming tank in the group, it’s immediately clear and those roles get kicked often. If you’re a healer, as long as you heal and throw orbs, no one will kick you. You can kind of dip your feet to the vet DLC content without having a lot of pressure of putting out high numbers as a DD. The amount of green, low cp healers I’ve carried through vet content it’s high, but they’re there just to heal and throw orbs, so it doesn’t matter.

(I’m aware that skilled healer can provide much more for the group, and you feel the difference with a really good one, but at the same time, no one will expect from a 300cp heal to have masters, SPC and MA. As long as I’m getting healed and orbs time to time, it’s all g.)

I think your estimates are a little high. I parse 64k on trial dummy and it’s enough to carry vet DLC pugs. I routinely cause speed runs on them. If I actually get any help from my group, the dungeon is trivialized. Now to be fair, I do very well on mechanics and time on target, so that theoretical 64k translates very well.

But even then, to suggest that you aren’t ready to do vet DLC until 65k is just way too much. I usually tank. If you give me two DD that can pull 40k on a trial dummy apiece then I promise I can take them through any vet DLC easily.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I think your estimates are a little high. I parse 64k on trial dummy and it’s enough to carry vet DLC pugs. I routinely cause speed runs on them. If I actually get any help from my group, the dungeon is trivialized. Now to be fair, I do very well on mechanics and time on target, so that theoretical 64k translates very well.

But even then, to suggest that you aren’t ready to do vet DLC until 65k is just way too much. I usually tank. If you give me two DD that can pull 40k on a trial dummy apiece then I promise I can take them through any vet DLC easily.

I agree with this. I was about to post that the recommended DPS will carry from player to player. Some expect uber DPS for their groups but that does not translate into what is actually needed.

Being able to handle mechanics is probaly the most important factor for dungeons since dying to avoidable mechanics drains from the rest of the group as they have to spend time resing instead of what they should be doing.

In every game, I have suggested players get very comfortable with using their skills and their rotation so it becomes almost second nature. Then you can keep an eye on what is going on around you instead of watching timers and cooldowns.
  • Alutora
    Alutora
    ✭✭✭

When I said 65k, I am talking about trial dummy dps (as mentioned at the start). 65k on trial dummy with cheese sets, parse food, that’s about 40k in content, depending on how much mech heavy is the dungeon, depending how many times you have to restart your rotation due to boss being repositioned. Could be more than 40k, again, depending on what group buffs tank and healer bring (if any).

IF I had said “40k” instead of 65k, OP could go in any guild house, hit 35k on trial parse, say “good enough” and que for vet DLC content. 40k on trial parse would translate to maybe 25k, again, depending on group buffs and how much you have to move or self heal. This is still doable depending on the rest of the group, but if he get grouped with another 20-25k dps for vDoM, tank doesn’t know how to position Narilmor, healer doesn’t wear buff sets to support damage output, they will fail.

That could be again lowered if running with 3x DD.

I wanted to include all HMs, as it’s also part of vet DLC content, which some of them do require higher dps.

65k is extremely easy to hit on a trial dummy with any class, no cheese sets, just purple gear, but you need to know how to weave and bar swap to cancel animation. I’d say 65k on dummy isn’t “uber high”, it’s pretty much good standard.

Where did I suggest “don’t queue if you don’t hit 65k”? You’re twisting my words. I merely just said he’ll be ready for ANY DLC content with this dps, HMs included, and will never be carried. I also said I don’t get to decide what’s acceptable for him.

This is just my opinion. ☺️
    Edited by Alutora on 17 November 2021 05:27
  • Bilkton
    Bilkton
    Agree with most of what’s been said. I’ve not long started pugging vet dlc and so am still learning the mechs for most of the dungeons. From a group dps perspective, if we’re not hitting 70k on single target bosses then it can be a bit of a trudge (so I guess that translates to somewhere around 25k-30k per DD in live combat).

That said, it’s not often we fall below this even in a pug. I would say 75% of the players are experienced and cp1000+ What’s more they’re almost always friendly enough to take it easy and explain mechs where needed if you shout up in the chat early on that you’re new to it.

Agree that playing a healer is a good shout if you have some experience in it. Not only are you not the main focus of the action but you actually need to take a step back and watch what’s going on, which will help you get a handle on what’s going on and what you need to do.

Basically I would say if you’re comfortable enough hitting the HM with most pugs on non-dlc vet then just jump in and see what happens. Worst case is you’re not ready yet and you can’t start to look for advice on how to creep up your dps!
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Alutora just to clarify. I’m saying I accomplish those things at 64kdps on trial dummy. And I am also saying I could easily get any group through vet DLC with two DD’s who do 40k on trial dummy.

You said, “ I’d suggest that if you’re able to hit 65k on trial dummy, you’re pretty much ready for any vet DLC dungeon, HM included. Assuming you know mechs, you will never be carried.”

I was responding to that. Now I took your statement as you not vouching someone is ready before that. If you don’t believe that then I welcome clarification. But I’m hardly twisting your words.

Now you say, “65k is extremely easy to hit on a trial dummy with any class, no cheese sets, just purple gear, but you need to know how to weave and bar swap to cancel animation. I’d say 65k on dummy isn’t “uber high”,

Again. This isn’t true for the VAST majority of players. Once again, I’m primarily a tank. And I grant my skill at playing DD is not on par with my tanking. But I’m a fairly competent gamer in general and I have worked extremely hard and long to get to the bar you are suggesting. If all you play with is people in the top percentiles then it might seem small to your crowd. But any suggestion that this is a casual goal is self evidently false to most who read your post.

But the point of all I’m saying? Nobody should feel like they have to be at that level to que vet dlc dungeons. I’m exactly where you are suggesting and it is way way way more than enough. I was the sole DD for most of the vet daily pledge yesterday and it went wonderfully. In fact my vet dlc pugs went fine back when I use to hit 40k on trial dummy.
  • lolo_01b16_ESO
    lolo_01b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think there is a single good dps number to recommend for vet dlc dungeons. It strongly depends on which dungeon you do, how well you can play the mechanics and what strategy you pick.

I'd say if you can comfortably complete e.g. City of Ash 2, Elden Hollow 2 and Tempest Island on hardmode without dying, then you are in a good spot to try vet dlc dungeons (obviously starting without hardmode).
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭

When did I mention a dummy? I'm talking about 25k single target in the content... not hitting something that doesn't move and doesn't hit back.
    Edited by N3CR01 on 17 November 2021 16:00
  • Alutora
    Alutora
    ✭✭✭

When did I mention a dummy? I'm talking about 25k single target in the content... not hitting something that doesn't move and doesn't hit back.

How do you know how much you hit on a single target in content? I’m talking from a console point of view, where if you need to see your dps, the only way is to hit a dummy.

Edited by Alutora on 17 November 2021 20:47
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭

How do you know how much you hit on a single target in content? I’m talking from a console point of view, where if you need to see your dps, the only way is to hit a dummy.

I play on PC but I feel your pain. Spent 1800+ hrs playing on Xbox One X.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel 25K is extremely low, if we are talking a trial dummy parse. I am more in line with 65K being the goal. But as others have said, you can get away with lower if you know the mechanics.

Not a lot of dungeons have DPS checks, but some come to mind. Icereach's final boss demands that you burn her down quick once she pops up or the group wipes. I don't see 25K doing that.

Dungeons like Maarselok, Malatar, Bloodroot, March of Sacrifices, Frostvault, and Black Drake all have at least one boss that is much easier the less rounds you go with them.

Not saying "ban all 25K DPS players." But a pair of 25K DDs could be a long run
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel 25K is extremely low, if we are talking a trial dummy parse. I am more in line with 65K being the goal. But as others have said, you can get away with lower if you know the mechanics.

Not a lot of dungeons have DPS checks, but some come to mind. Icereach's final boss demands that you burn her down quick once she pops up or the group wipes. I don't see 25K doing that.

Dungeons like Maarselok, Malatar, Bloodroot, March of Sacrifices, Frostvault, and Black Drake all have at least one boss that is much easier the less rounds you go with them.

I think your post highlights the real difficulty with this conversation. It’s so hard to be clear what we are talking about! 😆

Are we talking about…

The minimum to pull your weight?
    The minimum to complete?
    Do we mean the same thing by those two?
    And then do we mean the minimum to complete with group members who pull their weight or with inadequate help?
    Or rather talking about minimum to not have people call you out and shame you?
    Are we considering hard mode when we ask what DPS you should have to queue?

And after all that are our recommendations in trial dummy numbers, 3 mill numbers or actual in run PC add on numbers?

I wonder how much we argue because we aren’t all talking about the same things.

• Bilkton
    Bilkton
    What @BejaProphet said.

And I fear we may have a different set of answers again once the undaunted event kicks off in a few hours time and every man and his skelly dog decides to try and run vet randoms for shiny rewards…
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭

But as I've said already... my estimate of 25k is not that of a dummy. 25k on a dummy would be next to nothing in real content. I kinda thought that was obvious.

So 25k ST against a boss should be minimum for vet dlc dungeons.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

But as I've said already... my estimate of 25k is not that of a dummy. 25k on a dummy would be next to nothing in real content. I kinda thought that was obvious.

Okay, your position makes more sense. But 25K DPS on a single target still isn't that much. I saw that you play on PC, so maybe its an add-on that I am unfamiliar with as I play on PS4. So when you say 25K ST, I think of the numbers popping off of a target with every strike/damage. If that's in the ballpark, a magplar can do that by pushing the jabs button once. On some builds you can his 25K with 2 light attacks. If 2 DPS did that through a vet DLC, I think that would be a long run with a lot of rezzes. I don't see that carrying the day in most vet DLC dungeons.

@BejaProphet I was speaking to a trial dummy parse minimum DPS to get through a DLC dungeon in a reasonable amount of time. I get the disconnect as I also wondered if the 25K was for a 3 mil dummy, which would be fine. I'm sure with a patient tank and strong healer 2 DDs hitting 25K on a single target, with all knowing the mechanics, could manage some DLC dungeons. But its going to a slog. Just thinking of Falkreath, which is not a hard dungeon. That final boss could become problematic if you start getting low on columns because your burn is slower.

Again, none of what I say is shaming a player or saying its okay to dump on another player because their DPS isn't where I would prefer it to be. But if 25K DPS is all it takes, it doesn't make sense to me that there are a lot of threads out there wishing DLC dungeons were easier.
  • N3CR01
    N3CR01
    ✭✭✭✭

Okay, your position makes more sense. But 25K DPS on a single target still isn't that much. I saw that you play on PC, so maybe its an add-on that I am unfamiliar with as I play on PS4. So when you say 25K ST, I think of the numbers popping off of a target with every strike/damage. If that's in the ballpark, a magplar can do that by pushing the jabs button once. On some builds you can his 25K with 2 light attacks. If 2 DPS did that through a vet DLC, I think that would be a long run with a lot of rezzes. I don't see that carrying the day in most vet DLC dungeons.

@BejaProphet I was speaking to a trial dummy parse minimum DPS to get through a DLC dungeon in a reasonable amount of time. I get the disconnect as I also wondered if the 25K was for a 3 mil dummy, which would be fine. I'm sure with a patient tank and strong healer 2 DDs hitting 25K on a single target, with all knowing the mechanics, could manage some DLC dungeons. But its going to a slog. Just thinking of Falkreath, which is not a hard dungeon. That final boss could become problematic if you start getting low on columns because your burn is slower.

Again, none of what I say is shaming a player or saying its okay to dump on another player because their DPS isn't where I would prefer it to be. But if 25K DPS is all it takes, it doesn't make sense to me that there are a lot of threads out there wishing DLC dungeons were easier.

I agree that with 25k ST it would be a slog, as you put it but it could still be done.
    All I offered is what I think the minimum dps should be.
    I've been in plenty of vet dungeons recently where group dps was less than 70k and as the tank, I wish it'd go along a bit faster but as long as the content gets completed, I can't complain.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @N3CR01 Completely agree. And if its okay with all involved, cool. But man, I couldn't imagine doing Lair of Maarselok with that kind of DPS. Would have to take a break halfway through :)

• tzaeru
    tzaeru
    ✭✭
    There's a big gap in difficulty between the base game veteran dungeons and DLC veteran dungeons.

I would say that 40k on the trial dummy is a good limit for DLC veteran dungeons. That's something like 25k without the trial dummy.

30k/20k is enough for veteran non-DLC dungeons.