The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Stop the Main Story

AppleJuiceBox2
AppleJuiceBox2
✭✭✭
Can we get something to stop the main story or fast track it??

I know we can avoid it but it’s still annoying after every character over and over and over.
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a nice quest line to farm skill points, though.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ignore it if I'm not going to do it. I mean, sure the Hooded Figure keeps trying to bug my new characters, but since I'm already dodging Stuga and the Prologue Posse, it's not too bad.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In an MMO, you really can't stop the main story. It has to always be available for new players. Sure, I don't do it on everyone - just an occasional character for whom it makes sense depending on her or his backstory - but it does need to be there for someone who's totally new to this particular ES game.

And yes, sometimes I do some of it JUST for those skill points, SydneyGrey!
  • DagenHawk
    DagenHawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can we get something to stop the main story or fast track it??

I know we can avoid it but it’s still annoying after every character over and over and over.

Yes because it's smart to ignore the vast majority of players over a few speed runners.
  • Rumancek
    Rumancek
    ✭✭✭
    I just ignore it if I'm not going to do it. I mean, sure the Hooded Figure keeps trying to bug my new characters, but since I'm already dodging Stuga and the Prologue Posse, it's not too bad.

DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU?!?!?!!?!?

Every. Time. I go into Vulkhel Guard. I just got my SO into the game and she hears me snark/sass back at Stuga and finds it amusing.

Have to ask though -- who's the Prologue Posse?
    "I do know one thing. You need to have trust and honesty. Without trust and honesty it won't work." -Friday Night Lights
    CP: 873 | CURRENTLY: Slowly dipping my toes into PVP while helping my SO level her first few toons. (Edited 8/23/2023)
    PLAYED SINCE: PC/Mac beta, then February 7, 2014 (PC) before moving to PS4 NA from July 28, 2015 where I’ve remained.

Ibiza Aldemir | Redguard Nightblade | Stamina DD | Daggerfall Covenant | Werewolf (OG MAIN)
    Doe Snot | Wood Elf Necromancer | Stamina DD | Daggerfall Covenant | Mortal
    Volodýmyr | Redguard Nightblade | Magicka DD | Daggerfall Covenant | Vampire (PVP MAIN)
    Mjau Aldemir | High Elf Arcanist | Magicka DD | Daggerfall Covenant | Werewolf (PVE MAIN ALT)
    Neekläus* | Breton Sorcerer | Magicka DD | Daggerfall Covenant | Vampire
    Ste | Imperial Templar | Magicka DD/Healer | Daggerfall Covenant | Werewolf
    Nae Jamie Fraser* | Breton Templar | Magicka DD/Healer | Daggerfall Covenant | Werewolf

*Yes, Jamie is an Outlander reference, and yes, Neekläus is a TVD/The Originals reference.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To stop the Main Quest, just accept the first step but then don't go talk to the mysterious benefactor.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you level up before starting the main quest, you can fast track it as the prophet will call you back to the Harborage every time you leave.
  • REiiGN15
    REiiGN15
    ✭✭✭
    Mannimarco would like to know your location
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The guild has need of you comrade!
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rumancek wrote: »

Alessio Guillon/Rhea Opacarius for Morrowind.
    Vanus Galerion for Summerset.
    Concordia Mercius for Murkmire.
    Anais Davaux/Abnur Tharn for Elsweyr.
    Hinzuur for Dragonhold.
    Scout Gunthe/Lyris Titanborn for Greymoor.
    Gwendis for Markarth.
    Rogatus Cinna for Blackwood.
    Rogatina Cinna for Deadlands.
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    Only have one character, problem solved. This is why I only have one, I don't care to do any of all of that all over again multiple times. Once is enough.
  • Rumancek
    Rumancek
    ✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »

Hinzuur for Dragonhold.
    Gwendis for Markarth.

Ahhh right, thank you XD
    "I do know one thing. You need to have trust and honesty. Without trust and honesty it won't work." -Friday Night Lights
    CP: 873 | CURRENTLY: Slowly dipping my toes into PVP while helping my SO level her first few toons. (Edited 8/23/2023)
    PLAYED SINCE: PC/Mac beta, then February 7, 2014 (PC) before moving to PS4 NA from July 28, 2015 where I’ve remained.

Ibiza Aldemir | Redguard Nightblade | Stamina DD | Daggerfall Covenant | Werewolf (OG MAIN)
    Doe Snot | Wood Elf Necromancer | Stamina DD | Daggerfall Covenant | Mortal
    Volodýmyr | Redguard Nightblade | Magicka DD | Daggerfall Covenant | Vampire (PVP MAIN)
    Mjau Aldemir | High Elf Arcanist | Magicka DD | Daggerfall Covenant | Werewolf (PVE MAIN ALT)
    Neekläus* | Breton Sorcerer | Magicka DD | Daggerfall Covenant | Vampire
    Ste | Imperial Templar | Magicka DD/Healer | Daggerfall Covenant | Werewolf
    Nae Jamie Fraser* | Breton Templar | Magicka DD/Healer | Daggerfall Covenant | Werewolf

*Yes, Jamie is an Outlander reference, and yes, Neekläus is a TVD/The Originals reference.
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do it anyway. Up to the Coldharbour part then have her skip the city tour and leave. At least now that character has access to the lower half of Coldharbour if you ever need to collect those sky shards.
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    If you level up before starting the main quest, you can fast track it as the prophet will call you back to the Harborage every time you leave.

You don't need to level up to do that. Ever since One Tamriel, the Prophet will come for you right away no matter your level.

If I'm certain a character won't include the main quest in their "canon" history, I'll speedrun everything up to Council of the Five Companions/The Weight of Three Crowns, then just leave it there. It's a chore, but man, I can't handle having those quests cluttering up my quest journal.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    opaj wrote: »

You don't need to level up to do that. Ever since One Tamriel, the Prophet will come for you right away no matter your level.

Ugh, that's even worse!
  • ixmike
    ixmike
    ✭✭✭
    I can't even imagine juggling multiple characters. I've only played one and only toon because I'm pretty devoted to my DC Imperial Nightblade who rides a camel (actually, this is my second character. The first one lies dormant on the EU server)
    Xbox NA, DC NB.Gamertag: swampfoxix
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

He does that anyway now, at least for the first few quests. Not sure if it is to do with me already completing it on one character on the account already though. Ive a character that has only just hit 20 but has already rescued Lydia and done the quest where you are "investigating" the starting area to talk to Tharn.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maitsukas wrote: »

Hinzuur for Dragonhold.
    Gwendis for Markarth.

Don't forget Clockwork City. There's no NPC hounding you, but there's that "Order of the Eye Dispatch" quest marker that's everywhere there's a Mages Guild, which can also be distracting.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

He does that anyway now, at least for the first few quests. Not sure if it is to do with me already completing it on one character on the account already though. Ive a character that has only just hit 20 but has already rescued Lydia and done the quest where you are "investigating" the starting area to talk to Tharn.

I had an alternate character levelled up to about 45 before starting the main quest and every time I leave at some point between the Harborage and Vulkhel Guard he will appear and tell me to come back, like I forgot my keys or something. I assumed it was because I already passed all the normal intervals.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Lydia? You must be absently channeling Skyrim....
  • Saxhleel
    Saxhleel
    ✭✭✭
    The entire main quest is you trying to stop Molag Ballin, which in turn is you trying to stop the main quest. So therefore, yes you can if you complete the main questline.
    "What a fool you are. I'm a god. How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. No Recall or Intervention can work in this place. Come. Lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy" — Dagoth Ur

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Main quest? I have some Level 50s that The Prophet has been waiting on for months. I have some hooded figure that I easily ignore, thanks to Stuga training. I can't abandon the quest, but I can certainly ignore it.

The great thing is that The Prophet can wait for years and still treat me like I was just talking to him yesterday.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • DreamsUnderStars
    DreamsUnderStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    In an MMO, you really can't stop the main story

Let's not be obtuse. They don't literally mean stop the quest/storyline for everyone.

--

I would love it if we had an option to drop the main story quest (MSQ) and pick it back up when we want to. This is the only MMO I have ever played where you couldn't drop the msq.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would love it if we had an option to drop the main story quest (MSQ) and pick it back up when we want to. This is the only MMO I have ever played where you couldn't drop the msq.

You do have that ability, although it will still appear as a quest in the journal. If you leave The Prophet hanging in his cave you can play the game for years without really thinking about him. No one will bug you, and the only reminder is the entry in the quest journal. The hooded figure is a little less easy to avoid, but I have a number of characters that have not even talked to that person.

I doubt the game devs would let you drop the main quest from the journal entirely as it would be too easy for players to lose it.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • purple-magicb16_ESO
    purple-magicb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe they could have something under the settings menu where you can disable the original questline story? Then you don't see all the questgivers offering the quest for that character?
    Give 'er eh!
  • purplespirit1
    purplespirit1
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

You do have that ability, although it will still appear as a quest in the journal. If you leave The Prophet hanging in his cave you can play the game for years without really thinking about him. No one will bug you, and the only reminder is the entry in the quest journal. The hooded figure is a little less easy to avoid, but I have a number of characters that have not even talked to that person.

I doubt the game devs would let you drop the main quest from the journal entirely as it would be too easy for players to lose it.

• purplespirit1
    purplespirit1
    ✭✭
    Although I am a dedicated 'story' person, by character 12 it DOES get very, very repetitive.

I would just hold all of these quests as snagged an in my journal, undone, except that it FILLS UP MY QUEST journal! If you do crafting, a bit of Cyro, and Undaunted ... your quest log is always full!

I think it would be a great Quality of Life improvement for players if ZOS would just raise the number of quests we can have in our journals by 10. Then we can quiet the nagging npc's, ignore what we wish to ignore, hold onto those few 'almost done' quests (that you do not want to have to start over but got interrupted by real life and totally intend to get back to and finish!) and still have a quest slot or two left over to pick up something new and shiny that catches your eye!

Devs, I think, lose sight of what it is like to play the game as it ages. It's important to keep it playable as it gets "heavier".
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU?!?!?!!?!?

Every. Time. I go into Vulkhel Guard. I just got my SO into the game and she hears me snark/sass back at Stuga and finds it amusing.

Needs an addon who react to "DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU" WITH
    "Yes /PLAYED hours Stuga".
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • TimeViewer
    TimeViewer
    ✭✭✭✭
    zaria wrote: »
    Needs an addon who react to "DO YOU KNOW HOW LONG I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOU" WITH
    "Yes /PLAYED hours Stuga".

I usually verbally answer... "Almost as long as I've been avoiding you"
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly. Do it, it doesn't even take long, then pause it at Stirk.