The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Two connected things that absolutely suck the fun out of this game

Arato
Arato
✭✭✭✭✭
1. While in combat state, you can't do anything else. You can't mount, you can't port, you can't interact with objects, you can't open doors. You're forced to wait until the combat state drops, even if nothing is attacking you at the time.
2. It's too easy to get stuck in combat for extended periods of time, enemies that aggro onto you when you ride past them will stay aggroed on you even if you've crossed from one waypoint to another in distance (a waypoint you can't interact with in combat of course), often times until they hit you and then start running back to their tether point, or, worse, and what's really been irritating the crap out of me lately.. when you kill a boss and all of its adds despawn, the adds are still in combat with you, so you're stuck in combat seemingly indefinitely.

This happens every single time I run tempest island, which was the pledge a few days ago. The door after stormfist cannot be opened because the adds despawned when the boss died and they're still in combat with you.

Can this be addressed? It's incredibly unfun.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty much okay with removing all conditions involving combat except for mounting because it would break Cyrodiil.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • marlonbrando
    marlonbrando
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty much okay with removing all conditions involving combat except for mounting because it would break Cyrodiil.

I have always thought that rather than make it impossible to mount while in combat they should have made you take, e.g., a minute to mount. It would be inconvenient when you're stuck in combat but at least you could ride.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's just making a more complicated system out of it. Game speed is very precarious in Cyro. That's why you can no longer port across the map to a camp.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Mik195
    Mik195
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On Tempest Island, when you've killed the boss and there is that one person still in combat with you, sneak back through that area and combat should drop. And apparently this only happens with wardens which seems odd.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    People have been harping about these two points for a long time and they've yet to acknowledgement how awkward the implementation is. I agree with you, though.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really a lot of it could be solved by adjusting how combat state is determined and having shorter tethers on mobs.
    but the real kicker is those despawning adds keeping you in combat for who knows how long while you're waiting to go through a door or pick up a quest object but there's no enemies near you.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    also by at least making it so you could interact with objects and doors while in combat. if you actually get hit you get interrupted as it is so why block being able to interact at all?
    same thing with porting. it has a channel/cast time. if you get hit, you get interrupted, it's easy.
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup.. hate being in that long red flashing screen combat proc state. Particularly, when I forget to swap out a skill or two before engaging; then you can't make the switch after procing.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Arato wrote: »
    1. While in combat state, you can't do anything else. You can't mount, you can't port, you can't interact with objects, you can't open doors. You're forced to wait until the combat state drops, even if nothing is attacking you at the time.

Basically, what I have been told is that there is a way that people can exploit out-of-combat during fights. Obviously, no one tells me what the cool, but inaccessible, exploits are.

Everything else is stuff ZOS needs to fix, which is like the mantra around here.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tempest Island door: crouch and wait. You'll eventually become hidden because there are no enemies to keep you in LOS. Yes, sneak up on that door is what I'm saying.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • MiserynCompany
    MiserynCompany
    ✭✭✭
    Not being able to slot anything in combat anymore is awful as well considering at times I log in IN THE STATE OF COMBAT at the gate in cyrodiil. Well played zos.. guess this character isn't seiging, isn't changing gear, isn't slotting potions, and isn't mounting until the game maybe decides in an hour that I'm done with the combat scenario I entered before I ever logged on.
    In several dungeons, as the healer, I'd get left behind. Namely tempest Island and wayrest. The game insisted I was in combat and nothing would convince it otherwise. I'm not sure if it had to do with my netch as I was a magden or what, but I just eventually got frustrated and stopped doing dailies tbh. I don't expect it to be fixed. Just venting here too.
  • Inval1d
    Inval1d
    ✭✭✭✭
    Adding here just for the record.

On Elsweyr zones, if any member of your group engages with a dragon, it sets you on combat, no matter how far are you from the boss. Thus you're unable to mount, port or use wayshrines (which didn't happen until a few patches ago. You could still use shrines even in combat. Please "unfix" this.).

This was really, really annoying during elsweyr event.
  • Anyron
    Anyron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combat bug was in PvP for years.. Now its in pve too .. Maybe ZOS is finally going to do something about it
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inval1d wrote: »
    Adding here just for the record.

On Elsweyr zones, if any member of your group engages with a dragon, it sets you on combat, no matter how far are you from the boss. Thus you're unable to mount, port or use wayshrines (which didn't happen until a few patches ago. You could still use shrines even in combat. Please "unfix" this.).

This was really, really annoying during elsweyr event.

On dragons that's another one.... I've killed dragons before, and just.. been stuck in combat even after I ran to the nearest wayshrine, I couldn't use it
    I was still in combat, but nothing was chasing me no red dots on compass, so I had to run to another wayshrine, I ran halfway to Senchal before I could finally mount, down the road where there's nothing to aggro me.

The only aggro was my aggro towards ZOS for designing this system.
  • Lord_Hev
    Lord_Hev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This happens every single time I run tempest island, which was the pledge a few days ago. The door after stormfist cannot be opened because the adds despawned when the boss died and they're still in combat with you.

That combat linger has nothing to do with Stormfist at all. The issue is two patches ago Zenimax through no mention of patch notes at all, physically altered the landscape of that particular area, basically morphing in the wall "inward". As a result, one single archer npc was not moved in accordance with this change. On combat initiation the npc remains lodged in the wall, or on the outside of it, thus completely inaccessible to target. You cannot pre-chain it in either, because its spawn point is in the wall. And why zenimax hasn't been made aware of this, or why the physical re-morphing of that area was done in the first place, is beyond my guess.

Certain aoe placed dots and synergies can slowly kill it. I also believe that void pull from the vateshran sword and board, and the warden frozen gate skill can work as well, but i personally have not been able to 100% test that. Failing all that, the group will need to crouch far away and wait, bonus points if you all have invisibility potions.
    Qaevir/Qaevira Av Morilye/Molag
    Tri-Faction @Lord_Hevnoraak ingame
    PC NA
  • Dzadzey
    Dzadzey
    ✭✭✭

You ARE being ironic...right? Cyrodill is already FUBAR.
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to be until recently that you could still WS anywhere while in combat; that's now been changed (pointlessly, IMO) so you can't. Why?! Why do I need to either kill the enemy or else at least hit it once, just to travel?
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
  • marlonbrando
    marlonbrando
    ✭✭✭
    That's just making a more complicated system out of it. Game speed is very precarious in Cyro. That's why you can no longer port across the map to a camp.

The ultimate solution to being incorrectly stuck in combat would be to fix that. Barring that, implementing a workaround which would still allow you to mount but make it hard to mount while being attacked is a compromise.
  • LordRukia
    LordRukia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Every game has those stuck in combat issues but in eso where there's entrances everywhere it is pretty awful especially in a dungeon . I'm fine with not mounting in combat at least I can sprint away
  • Kessra
    Kessra
    ✭✭✭

Nope, that's actually caused by an add that initially stays on top of a wall an if you engage in the trashpack before the boss will hide behind the wall, unable of being attacked directly. The only thing that really helps here is to do AoE damage where also not every skill seems to hit him. Really a pain in the a***. ZOS should really fix that

Note, even as a DK I can't grip the mob right on pulling the mob. He is untargetable right from the start as technically probably already behind the walls. Just found out that @Lord_Hev already has given the actual cause for it already
    Edited by Kessra on 17 October 2021 08:37
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In PvE the only reason I ever get stuck in combat, is when a player pulls a train of mobs through my aoe's/attacks. Therefor in my opinion, I feel ZOS should make all mobs have the abilities guards have where they root the player. This should atleast stop players from causing others to get stuck in combat.

There are some dungeons in which you can easily get stuck in combat as well, but crouching for a bit always helps solve this. Although I feel doors in dungeons should be removed.

I don't really PvP, so I can't comment on the in-combat issues there. But in PvE the in-combat is a good thing, and I would like for ZOS to prevent players from running a mobtrain. Which would solve many in-combat issues. And ZOS should add a timer, where if you did not attack anything for 10 seconds, and did not get attacked for 10 seconds, it automatically drops you from in-combat.
  • orgin_stadia
    orgin_stadia
    ✭✭✭
    The stuck in combat problems in dungeon are just so annoying. If there are no red dots on your compass you should automatically get out of combat, period. The crouching method is far from a reliable method.
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happens all the time in Wayrest Sewers. Want to go through that door? Too bad, you pissed off a hidden alligator five rooms back.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sarannah wrote: »
    In PvE the only reason I ever get stuck in combat, is when a player pulls a train of mobs through my aoe's/attacks. Therefor in my opinion, I feel ZOS should make all mobs have the abilities guards have where they root the player. This should atleast stop players from causing others to get stuck in combat.

There are some dungeons in which you can easily get stuck in combat as well, but crouching for a bit always helps solve this. Although I feel doors in dungeons should be removed.

I don't really PvP, so I can't comment on the in-combat issues there. But in PvE the in-combat is a good thing, and I would like for ZOS to prevent players from running a mobtrain. Which would solve many in-combat issues. And ZOS should add a timer, where if you did not attack anything for 10 seconds, and did not get attacked for 10 seconds, it automatically drops you from in-combat.

Yuck
    that'd make it even more annoying
    it's bad enough as it is
    the combat in this game gets so stale so easily I understand wanting to train through.

• Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just gonna leave this here because there absolutely ARE things you can do while in combat, none of which should happen.

Fighting mobs you can: sort your inventory; do your banking; have a chat with your companion.

Really? SMH.
  • Franchise408
    Franchise408
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, ESO's is the absolute worst "in combat" system I have ever seen. It needs to go, 100%. There should not be restrictions on what you can and can't do just because you're "in combat"
  • renne
    renne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    2. It's too easy to get stuck in combat for extended periods of time, enemies that aggro onto you when you ride past them will stay aggroed on you even if you've crossed from one waypoint to another in distance (a waypoint you can't interact with in combat of course), often times until they hit you and then start running back to their tether point, or, worse, and what's really been irritating the crap out of me lately.. when you kill a boss and all of its adds despawn, the adds are still in combat with you, so you're stuck in combat seemingly indefinitely.

I completely agree with this, but for Tempest Island, I know what you're talking about and it's definitely not Stormfist's adds still in combat with you after they've despawned. They've despawned, they're not in combat with you.

BUT if I remember the location correctly, just before the tents before Stormfist's arena where there's a bunch of adds, there's a wall on the right side of the path and there's an add that now spawns for some reason (because ZoS I guess) on the other side of the ruined wall, and when you fight THOSE adds they aggro, but because they're on the other side of the wall they don't usually get killed unless you go back for them or you specifically know they're there to kill them (my main is a templar and I usually have to just drop shards where they are until they're dead because of the wall).
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coatmagic wrote: »
    Just gonna leave this here because there absolutely ARE things you can do while in combat, none of which should happen.

Fighting mobs you can: sort your inventory; do your banking; have a chat with your companion.

Really? SMH.

Or accidentally bring forth that bloody stupid Khajit sitting on a crate dealing cards... !
  • Ballermfrau
    Ballermfrau
    ✭✭✭
    YES there is no point in the hole system in PVE. Okay dungeons should not be skip-able.

Honestly I´m amazed that this has not been changed since launch. The devs play the game, they must notice this.
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I discovered the problem with Stormfist by accident, the maormer archer who can end up on the wrong side of a wall.

I don't think he always goes there, even if you go out of your way to aggro everything, which suggests to me that he starts in a place where you CAN kill him normally. And if he just stands there and shoots, till he dies, you're fine, but if something triggers him to "run away to ranged attack distance" then he gets stuck on the wrong side of the wall. I suspect the issue is that the wall is crossable at one point but only in one direction, because of the ground being lower on the wrong side and thus no way to jump back up.

And, given that you can actually see him if you look backwards, I think the issue happens if you run past him, so you're "ahead of" him when his AI tells him to run away from the player out of melee range, and the crossable spot in the wall is thus exactly where he needs to be to get to "ranged attack distance".

He can be killed with ranged area attacks, so you can get around the stormfist door problem this way.

Either that, or don't get to a position where he runs away in *that* direction if he runs.
    Edited by jle30303 on 19 October 2021 01:50