The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Mac] Crashing to desktop

warbles
warbles
Soul Shriven
**This is a ticket I sent to Support, who told me nothing but to post this here.**

I am on MacOS and have been experiencing frequent crashes to desktop ever since I re-downloaded the game in June. Below is a description of some crash conditions observed over the last 1.5 months:

(1) Player-to-player teleporting, e.g. moving to a group member: nearly 100% crash rate. Queueing for dungeons results in the same crash rate
(2) Wayshrine teleporting inter-zone, e.g. moving from Glenumbra to Deshaan: approx 70% crash rate (NB: using the non-city wayshrines between those zones are more reliable, e.g. don't port directly between Daggerfall and Davon's Watch, 30% crash rate)
(3) Wayshrine teleporting intra-zone: 10% crash rate
(4) Map teleport, i.e. non-shrine teleport: around 70% crash rate
(5) Entering delves: usually fine, but some delves are completely broken, see (8)

Special conditions:
(6) Having a pet, companion or a group member: nearly 100% crash rate when travelling using (1) or (2), around 20% when engaging (3), (4) and (5)
(7) Zone main quests that have portals back and forth (e.g. Stonefalls end quest, Summerset Evergloam quest) crashes without pets or group members, no remedy found
(8) Certain delves/portals are completely inaccessible: Old Orsimer, Emberflint Mine. I have a list of more, including the start of the main Coldharbour quest (teleporting from Benefactor!)

As you might imagine, this is at best frustrating and at worst absolutely fatal to core aspects of the game (e.g. not being able to start Soul Shriven quest line). At this stage the game is quite unplayable. Dungeons and certain quests cannot be completed, and I have been softlocked in the game world multiple times and had to have a friend on a Windows PC log into my account to move me manually.

There have been numerous forum posts dating from March identifying the cause of this fatal bug which I can link if you'd like. Decided to send in a support ticket to provide more information to the team to fix this as it is quite ridiculous to have to put up with it. I know M1 Macs are not officially supported but Intel Mac users on the forums are experiencing this as well, and the problem identified has nothing to do with the chipset.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on 19 January 2022 23:12
  • ZOS_Chiroptera
    ZOS_Chiroptera
    ✭✭✭
    Hello @warbles, if you have a ticket number, we can check to see if it's reached the right queue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • warbles
    warbles
    Soul Shriven
    Hello @warbles, if you have a ticket number, we can check to see if it's reached the right queue.

Hi Chiroptera, my ticket number is 210724-007862.

• doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I think every Mac user is experiencing this. It seems to have primarily arisen (for me and others in my guild) at the Flames of Ambition patch. There were crashes prior to that for sure but they weren't nearly as frequent or as patterned as these; most everyone seems to have the "crashing on port" bug.

You have all the problem areas correctly identified here, though I'd suggest a couple of my own: the problem seems to be worse during peak hours, such as early and mid-evening EST. Getting into the wee hours (ie. 1 am or later PST), there are less occurrences. There are a few areas that trigger non-port crashes with similar crash logs as those we see on port. I've experienced this in some delves, dungeons, newer overland zones such as Northern Elsweyr and Western Skyrim, and battleground instances.

Imperial City is also very bad.

Based on the pattern of crashes, (pure speculation here, I have no real idea) it maybe has something to do with character modeling, especially when character models are in an "altered" state, such as the transparency state you trigger on a map teleport. Imperial City's "silenced" state on instance change seems to have a similar effect. Similarly, the presence of a large number of character models creates unstable conditions somehow.

My ticket number is 210705-007707.

I have yet to see if the problem persists on PTS or if something is in the works with a software build to resolve this persistent instability of the Mac game client.
    Edited by doesurmindglow on 28 July 2021 05:06
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @warbles

We've sent you a forum PM with an update on the ticket you submitted.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Staff Post
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @doesurmindglow

Another forum PM has ben sent regarding your ticket 210705-007707 and its current status.
    Staff Post
  • warbles
    warbles
    Soul Shriven
    Yeah, I think every Mac user is experiencing this. It seems to have primarily arisen (for me and others in my guild) at the Flames of Ambition patch. There were crashes prior to that for sure but they weren't nearly as frequent or as patterned as these; most everyone seems to have the "crashing on port" bug.

You have all the problem areas correctly identified here, though I'd suggest a couple of my own: the problem seems to be worse during peak hours, such as early and mid-evening EST. Getting into the wee hours (ie. 1 am or later PST), there are less occurrences. There are a few areas that trigger non-port crashes with similar crash logs as those we see on port. I've experienced this in some delves, dungeons, newer overland zones such as Northern Elsweyr and Western Skyrim, and battleground instances.

Imperial City is also very bad.

Based on the pattern of crashes, (pure speculation here, I have no real idea) it maybe has something to do with character modeling, especially when character models are in an "altered" state, such as the transparency state you trigger on a map teleport. Imperial City's "silenced" state on instance change seems to have a similar effect. Similarly, the presence of a large number of character models creates unstable conditions somehow.

My ticket number is 210705-007707.

I have yet to see if the problem persists on PTS or if something is in the works with a software build to resolve this persistent instability of the Mac game client.

Agree with the above and concur on the point about server load: I've observed the same as well.

While I'm on the ARM Mac which isn't officially supported, other Intel Mac users on this forum are reporting the same issue (and the same error message with MoltenVK): given that this is a bug that's been reported as early as March I'm surprised that more hasn't been said to address this problem which, to put it bluntly, renders core aspects of the game unplayable. Unless ZOS is dropping support for MacOS in general (which should be communicated ASAP), I think we can expect better.
  • aldriq
    aldriq
    ✭✭✭

Load has definitely something to do with it, probably the more stuff to load/unload makes the crash more likely - in my case I get most crashes on log out of a char, next most frequent is when porting, and last (and most annoying) is some rare cases on char log in. Pets and companions exacerbate this but are not the only cause. Last time I got a char 'trapped' in Blackwood (I made the mistake of leaving the companion active) I managed to log back in to it by lowering the view distance setting to 4 - with a value so low I imagine even the companion is not visible and therefore not drawn, avoiding the crash and allowing me to dismiss the companion and restore the view distance to its normal value again safely.

My last ticket number related to this was 210628-003530, I was told my crash details would be passed to the dev team, but if there is any fresh info on this I'd be happy to hear it.

• ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @aldriq

Thanks for your ticket number. Your ticket 210628-003530 was successfully sent over to the development as feedback.
    Staff Post
  • doesurmindglow
    doesurmindglow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would appear my ticket has been kicked to Bethesda Customer Service following the implementation of recommended removal of add-ons and game repair; I proceeded with those steps and, unsurprisingly, the issue persisted such that I was able to provide two crash logs in under an hour following game repair and PRAM reset in the vanilla UI.

One thing I am considering as an avenue to explore is potentially submitting the issue to the MoltenVK developers here: https://github.com/KhronosGroup/MoltenVK/issues

This is not my area of expertise, but it is possible those who work directly with the library may be able to provide more insight into the cause (and potentially a solution, I dunno) of these crashes. But it's equally likely the problem isn't resolvable without access to the game's actual source code or to the game servers.

I'll probably put together a submission for that venue and see what if anything I hear back.
    Edited by doesurmindglow on 1 August 2021 08:10
    Guildmaster : The Wild Hunt (formerly Aka Baka) : AD PC/NA
  • aldriq
    aldriq
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @aldriq

Thanks for your ticket number. Your ticket 210628-003530 was successfully sent over to the development as feedback.

Thanks for double-checking.
    This is not my area of expertise, but it is possible those who work directly with the library may be able to provide more insight into the cause (and potentially a solution, I dunno) of these crashes. But it's equally likely the problem isn't resolvable without access to the game's actual source code or to the game servers.

I'll probably put together a submission for that venue and see what if anything I hear back.

Do we know what version of MoltenVK ESO is currently using in U30? It'd be interesting to see if the PTS/U31 has updated it.
  • BloodyLady
    BloodyLady
    ✭✭
    I stil have those crashes sometimes 3 times in a hour , what i do then is very different sometimes when i just logged most of the time im playing/doing quests . Something new is everytime i ride/walk in a town i get a screen like i get with login in or go to another town/world , sometimes even when im fighting ,then im happy with Bastian at my side .
  • BloodyLady
    BloodyLady
    ✭✭
    BloodyLady wrote: »
    I stil have those crashes sometimes 3 times in a hour , what i do then is very different sometimes when i just logged most of the time im playing/doing quests . Something new is everytime i ride/walk in a town i get a screen like i get with login in or go to another town/world , sometimes even when im fighting ,then im happy with Bastian at my side .

Btw that happens on a windows pc
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As this discussion is now over 6 months old, we've decided to close out the thread. If you still need assistance, please feel free to start a new thread in the Mac Support forum.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.