The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Account Wide Progress

slimwaffle
slimwaffle
✭✭✭
Just putting it out there that I think more things should be account wide.
I play 1 character a DK but this gets really stale especially during periods where DK aren't doing to well.
But the thing that stops me from playing a second character is that I have made too much progress on this one to even consider playing another character.
It is my belief that the important things should be account wide.
The things I would like to see as account wide are; Achievements, Researched Crafting traits and Mount training.
All of these things take a really long time to grind out and it would be cool if you didn't have to for each character.

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    slimwaffle wrote: »
    Just putting it out there that I think more things should be account wide.
    I play 1 character a DK but this gets really stale especially during periods where DK aren't doing to well.
    But the thing that stops me from playing a second character is that I have made too much progress on this one to even consider playing another character.
    It is my belief that the important things should be account wide.
    The things I would like to see as account wide are; Achievements, Researched Crafting traits and Mount training.
    All of these things take a really long time to grind out and it would be cool if you didn't have to for each character.

Since we have Research Scrolls and Mount Training in the Crown Store, don't expect it to ever become account wide; ZOS will not give up a source of revenue, but Achievements should be account wide. I would also like it if Wayshrines were account wide, or at least, purchasable from the Crown Store like Skyshards.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    How about having mounts, housing and even Crowns being truly account-wide?

Crowns do go between servers (NA <-> EU) for example, but the others don't even do that. Make those work on the PC and both consoles for that matter as well and they would be truly "account wide" as the notices when starting the game claim!

Riding speed and researching never will be because they can make money selling boosts for them.
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on 31 July 2021 04:45
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to see achievements, recipes and motif knowledge to be account wide. There are some arguments against one or all of those, but that's what would personally allow me to enjoy my game time more than I do currently.

I do often feel tied down with my original character as it's the one with achievements. We have a game with 18 characters, but achievement progression toward full completion is generally tied to one due to the time investment involved. This is of course completely subjective, but that's how my mind views it. If I want to hunt achievements, I do it on my main, which is locked into a class I chose 7 years ago when the game was completely different. Whenever a new class is released, it's automatically unable to become my main as there is no option to class change and achievements, recipes and motif knowledge are tied to characters.

Because of this, I actually have less interest in doing achievements on my main and close to zero interest in doing them on 17 out of my 18 characters.

While I understand the frustration of character based mount training and traits, those are annoying to level per character, but are at least doable with a small daily time investment per character. After a year of a few minutes per day, you will get there. It's not likely that many people have Emperor, Grand Overlord, Master Angler and Godslayer on all 18 toons. This may not be a big deal to many people, but those that are completionists will not want to split those achievements among toons. They will tend to be discouraged from playing alts, even if it would benefit the group as they want the achievement on the main character.

Edited by redspecter23 on 31 July 2021 04:48
  • UnassumingNoob
    UnassumingNoob
    ✭✭✭✭
    Achievements being account wide would help me out a lot.
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I'd play a lot more if achievements were account-wide.
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone in Craglorn: LF 2 dps for vSS
    Me: x dps
    Someone in Craglorn: link clear
    Me: I don't have it with this toon, but I have with several others.
    Someone in Craglorn: sorry buddy
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Each of my characters is an independent individual. A couple are related, like brother and sister Saryn and Idrona Uvathri, but all are distinct, with their own progress, and achievements they will/will not go for (e.g. TG and DB).

So, no thank you.
    Edited by Iluvrien on 31 July 2021 06:59
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, for all the reasons given in the previous topics on this subject.
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Achievements are one of the main ways you measure a character’s progress, so no. Researching traits is unnecessary because you only need one master crafter for the whole account, so no. (I sometimes use alts to research in order to soak up up gear when my bank starts getting full but I usually just decon the gear. I suppose, if you were starting off with a number of alts, you could spread the research load and get to crafted set required number of traits quicker but it’d be difficult to manage and doesn’t apply to the OP anyway.) Riding skills are also character-based and I don’t see why one character should get a boost from another’s graft, so also no.

It’s a no from me. These elements of the game are meant to happen gradually over time. I think it’s a logical approach.

I’ve never really understood why champion points are account-wide. It seems to me that they should also be character-based.
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    No, for all the reasons given in the previous topics on this subject.

What he said..
    ADarklore wrote: »
    Since we have Research Scrolls and Mount Training in the Crown Store, don't expect it to ever become account wide; ZOS will not give up a source of revenue

ZOS said no to that, a loooooooong time before they made scrolls and mount training books.. No idea why people keep thinking that this is the sole reason..
  • Kusto
    Kusto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GenjiraX wrote: »
    Achievements are one of the main ways you measure a character’s progress, so no.

Characters don't play on their own, I play them, so the achievements are mine and so is the progress. If I have certain trial clear with 10 toons, do you think I'm not capable of clearing it with my 11th. Its such a pain if you play with multiple characters and have different clears and trifectas distributed randomly between them.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kusto wrote: »
    Achievements are one of the main ways you measure a character’s progress, so no.

Characters don't play on their own, I play them, so the achievements are mine and so is the progress. If I have certain trial clear with 10 toons, do you think I'm not capable of clearing it with my 11th. Its such a pain if you play with multiple characters and have different clears and trifectas distributed randomly between them.

So do you believe that all your characters should get xp when you complete a quest through one of them? Surely that would be a logical request as you consider that you did the quest and not the character?

For many players the whole point of having multiple characters is to do the game's content on all of them, in some cases picking and choosing some of it according to the characters (my assassin nightblade has done the Thieves Guild, my lawful good Templar has not, and I'm not even a role-player).
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I support accound-wide achievements! :)
    I didn't really understand how good it feels, until I started playing GW2... It's priceless when everything you do counts for your whole account! No longer I needed to play certain character just because he has the most progress for certain achievement... I just log into the character who fits my mood, and everything I do counts as progress for any achievement <3

I can understand that mount training and trait research might never be account-wide (because it is monetized)... I don't really like it, but I can live with it. If only achievements and titles were account-wide! :'(
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone in Craglorn: LF 2 dps for vSS
    Me: x dps
    Someone in Craglorn: link clear
    Me: I don't have it with this toon, but I have with several others.
    Someone in Craglorn: sorry buddy

This is exactly why achievements, particularly dungeon ones, should never be account wide. Just because a player knows how to play a sorceror effectively in high level content does not mean they know how to play a nightblade effectively in high level content.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since we have Research Scrolls and Mount Training in the Crown Store, don't expect it to ever become account wide; ZOS will not give up a source of revenue

ZOS said no to that, a loooooooong time before they made scrolls and mount training books.. No idea why people keep thinking that this is the sole reason..

So, you don't think that at the time they said NO... that they weren't already considering how to monetize those things? I just know that ANY business wouldn't be smart if they weren't constantly considering what things they could make money on. I am betting that was part of any discussion on the topic... of 'perhaps one day we can implement something to charge people for this convenience' even if they didn't add it for a couple of years.
    CP: 1950 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Sorcerer ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eh. Maybe it's because I've always been an alt-a-holic (happily making new alts so that I can build them up differently than my other characters*), but I'm not really on board with the "make everything account-wide!" thing.

This game already gives you a good amount of shared stuff (everything in the Collection, plus the set book), but this:
    slimwaffle wrote: »

feels like too much.

Personally, I like having separate Achieves, it helps me keep track of what I've done on which characters. Research? It's something else to do (or not do) on each character, depending on whether I'm going to make them a crafter. Etc, etc, etc.

So, yeah - my vote would be no.

(I currently have 8 characters. One is almost complete on 9-trait crafting, a couple others are slowly working their way through it, the rest ignore it. They all have mounts trained to 60spd/60bank/0sta. Could have easily had 60sta on them, just didn't bother.)

---
    * I've never bought a respec/rename/class change/race change/etc, in any game. No desire to, when you can just make another character. Worst thing Diablo 3 did was to give infinite/easy respec, along with no choices in unlocked the skill tree. No reason to make new characters of the same class, they'll always be/grow the same. Etc.
    Edited by Kiralyn2000 on 31 July 2021 13:12
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fischblut wrote: »
    I support accound-wide achievements! :)
    I didn't really understand how good it feels, until I started playing GW2... It's priceless when everything you do counts for your whole account! No longer I needed to play certain character just because he has the most progress for certain achievement... I just log into the character who fits my mood, and everything I do counts as progress for any achievement <3

(

And that's one of the reasons why I don't play GW2 more. Every time I look at achievements in any sort of serious way, I just burn out from how grindy they all are and don't log on for 3 months. Also, some achievements require you to complete them on every class.

That said, I'm fine with an account-wide overview where you can see all the achievements you have and what characters have done them, as long as each character also retains their individual progress.

So, you don't think that at the time they said NO... that they weren't already considering how to monetize those things? I just know that ANY business wouldn't be smart if they weren't constantly considering what things they could make money on. I am betting that was part of any discussion on the topic... of 'perhaps one day we can implement something to charge people for this convenience' even if they didn't add it for a couple of years.

Do people even buy those? The only ones I've ever used were the ones from free crown crates. I just level my characters with gold and I never felt the need to spend crowns on a consumable.
    The Moot Councillor
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So do you believe that all your characters should get xp when you complete a quest through one of them? Surely that would be a logical request as you consider that you did the quest and not the character?

Once you hit cp levels, all your characters do get xp when one of them does something. We have account wide xp progress for 3600cp worth of xp which is likely about 99.999% of the xp over the course of a full xp grind to cap.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't get an achievement without a character. It isn't you alone getting that achievement. It is you and the character working together to get the achievement. You don't play on your own just like your characters do not play on their own.

And it would depend on what that eleventh character is.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So do you believe that all your characters should get xp when you complete a quest through one of them?

They all get Champion Points.
    PCNA
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    At the very least achievements should be account wide.
    I would be way more open to the idea of alts if my progress as a player counted across all of my characters.
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see achievements, recipes and motif knowledge to be account wide. There are some arguments against one or all of those, but that's what would personally allow me to enjoy my game time more than I do currently.

I do often feel tied down with my original character as it's the one with achievements. We have a game with 18 characters, but achievement progression toward full completion is generally tied to one due to the time investment involved. This is of course completely subjective, but that's how my mind views it. If I want to hunt achievements, I do it on my main, which is locked into a class I chose 7 years ago when the game was completely different. Whenever a new class is released, it's automatically unable to become my main as there is no option to class change and achievements, recipes and motif knowledge are tied to characters.

Because of this, I actually have less interest in doing achievements on my main and close to zero interest in doing them on 17 out of my 18 characters.

While I understand the frustration of character based mount training and traits, those are annoying to level per character, but are at least doable with a small daily time investment per character. After a year of a few minutes per day, you will get there. It's not likely that many people have Emperor, Grand Overlord, Master Angler and Godslayer on all 18 toons. This may not be a big deal to many people, but those that are completionists will not want to split those achievements among toons. They will tend to be discouraged from playing alts, even if it would benefit the group as they want the achievement on the main character.

I started playing this game when it first came out 7 years ago. It is a constantly changing game.
    I have around 18,000 achievement points of the available 47,000. As a person who has achieved almost half of everything there is to achieve in this game. I feel locked into this character. Without account wide achievements there is just too much progress to play alts.
    Which is a shame because some of those other classes look fun. I'd probably play a lot more if I had variety and wasn't always on one character.
  • Rukia541
    Rukia541
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Achievements yes at the very least, don't care about the rest minor arbitrary restrictions to encourage spending money so those aren't going away but there is no reason to gate achievements.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So do you believe that all your characters should get xp when you complete a quest through one of them?

Maybe they shouldn't.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted comment. I thought this was a different thread, though I do agree more achievements should be account wide.
    Edited by FlopsyPrince on 1 August 2021 06:57
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

Maybe they shouldn't.

So you will argue against even features they have implemented?
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe they shouldn't.

It could have been one way to look at it, but we've come too far since character xp advancement was merged into account wide character xp advancement. To remove it now would cause far too much disruption. Could it be done? Perhaps, but it would put a massive bottleneck on any future alts that anyone might want to create. ZOS shifted to a system that was more alt friendly. I suspect it would be a hard sell to the majority of players if you told them they would be grinding potentially thousands of cp on every alt. There would be a massive brick wall placed in front of players when the next new class comes along.

We have many account wide systems in play. Everything from outfit styles, skins, pets, mounts, cosmetics. Players are accustomed to unlocking things such as this as account wide. I don't think about which of my characters accepted the daily reward for the recent Cuddle Monster. I use it on any toon. I unlocked the most recent event outfit styles on whichever character managed to pull them and it was very convenient. I don't feel compelled to swap outfit style pages to certain characters before learning them because that particular character will be the one using the style. If I wanted to use it on an alt later, how would I justify using it when I didn't (and can't) re-unlock it again on another character?
    Edited by redspecter23 on 1 August 2021 07:43
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Maybe they shouldn't.

So you will argue against even features they have implemented?

Some of us argued against them before they were implemented.

How was their implementing it supposed to spontaneously change my mind?
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't get an achievement without a character. It isn't you alone getting that achievement. It is you and the character working together to get the achievement. You don't play on your own just like your characters do not play on their own.

And it would depend on what that eleventh character is.

Cool. So let's have an achievement sheet for the character, and an achievement sheet for me only fair since we both participated right?
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes they do, through no effort from themselves and I don't agree with it. Even with account-wide CPs, however, at the very least they shouldn't be able to be enabled on characters below level 50.

In any event, it's a very different concept to sharing completed quests between all characters on the account, as happens with some other MMOs where it puts me off playing multiple characters which in turn puts me off playing the game.

I'm completely in agreement with the idea of an account-wide achievement summary showing which characters have done which achievements.