Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

visually impaired

Rlacoste
Rlacoste
✭✭✭
Dear Devs, why must you place gear in places that are not accessible to all. 4 yrs playing this game and you continue to make this game un-fun for some with disabilities.
I think management needs to play this game in it's entirety with a 1000 watt bulb shining in their eyes. That's what it feels like for when I do trials and dungeons. Tone down the visuals, holly cow man. I can not acquire gear from Dragonstar or Maelstrom at all, or Vateshran, so I am gimped(DPS) cause I have a disability. Your mythics have to be in trials and dungeons? Scrying must flash a 2000 watt bulb in our faces?? Digging with red, green, orange lights a must??? Really??

For heaven sakes, make this game available to EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you, sincerely:

Extremely Peeved
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi rlacoste :) yep... I agree, any development team should take that things into account. Take a look to Reshade. Maybe it helps. Also check gamma settings on usersettings.txt (backup it up first)
  • Icy_Waffles
    Icy_Waffles
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try setting your monitor to black and white.
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree some of the visuals could be toned down a bit, but I was also going to suggest adjusting your monitor settings or using something like Reshade.

A computer monitor shouldn't hurt your eyes, even if the entire screen is white (or any other bright colour), but often the default settings are not really set up at all. When I got my monitor literally the first thing I did was turn the brightness right down and adjust the contrast and colour balance.

I'm not sure if they all do this but my AMD graphics card comes with software that lets me make adjustments to the screen settings individually for each game (and other programs I think) so if one is too bright or dark or whatever I can adjust it without having to mess up other stuff on my computer.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Lephrel
    Lephrel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rlacoste wrote: »
    Dear Devs, why must you place gear in places that are not accessible to all. 4 yrs playing this game and you continue to make this game un-fun for some with disabilities.
    I think management needs to play this game in it's entirety with a 1000 watt bulb shining in their eyes. That's what it feels like for when I do trials and dungeons. Tone down the visuals, holly cow man. I can not acquire gear from Dragonstar or Maelstrom at all, or Vateshran, so I am gimped(DPS) cause I have a disability. Your mythics have to be in trials and dungeons? Scrying must flash a 2000 watt bulb in our faces?? Digging with red, green, orange lights a must??? Really??

For heaven sakes, make this game available to EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you, sincerely:

Extremely Peeved

As others have suggested, lower the screen brightness, contrast (and maybe even go for black and white). Anyways, since you said you are unable to do trials, dungeons & arenas, is there a reason why you need the gear from those places?
    I am just saying, if you are locked out of 90% of endgame content, then gear is almost meaningless. For questing and overland content, crafted and purchased gear is more than sufficient.
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    For monitor gamma and colours adjustment i suggest you calibrize 2.0 (i use an eye one pro, but calibrize is a great tool toó... And free).
  • vesselwiththepestle
    vesselwiththepestle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find it helpful to reduce texture quality and deactivate/ reduce some of the graphics options. Visual effects are much less irritating then.
    1000+ CP
    PC/EU Ravenwatch Daggerfall Covenant

Give me my wings back!
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed that the game has become brighter over time - Especially recently.
    I have anti blue light glasses when I play and I can tell you the effects are affecting me too..it's too bright!
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    Many people have posted on these forums asking for there to be a change with respect to flashes of bright light etc in the game. The problem is that many games are judged on their stunning graphics when compared to other games, as it appears to be a 'selling' feature of a game.

The solution to this to appease both the players that want full visual graphic quality, and the players who need to adapt to their visual challenges whatever those may be, is to create an accessibility feature in the menu options.

Gaming companies need to realize that their player base is not just high end graphical enthusiasts. There are players of all ages, players with disabilities and or medical challenges. Microsoft is known for implementing accessibility features for players like the Xbox Adaptive Controller for instance, as their philosophy is to remove barriers for players to provide gaming to everyone.

For two years in a row I have provided feedback regarding the combat tutorial having a terrible halo around it and impairing visibility The current one has a hazy blue oval ring around the practice combat dummy. Those who do not experience challenges may not see what the issue is. There are no bright flashes involved and the blue is muted however it is very distracting for people who may have visual issues, suffer from headaches, have previous brain injury, or any other cognitive impairment. The combat tutorial is supposed to teach players how to fight and what the mind should be focused on, and not trying to filter out the terrible graphic around it. Once again those who do not have challenges may not notice this or see an issue. I am saying it is an issue for some regardless if it can be recognized by everyone.

I would strongly encourage having accessibility experts analyze many features of the game, collect feedback from those who find barriers and try to accommodate those with challenges within the scope of their ability, while maintaining the integrity of the game for everyone. This could easily be achieved with an accessibility menu in the options. Without having to adjust players individual monitors or computer settings which may already be preset and adapted, having a feature that could tone down flashes, remove certain players visual animations of their skills etc.
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Opening the scry *flash*
    Completing the scry, ...,4,3,2,1 *flash*
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    [Quoted post has been removed.]

Developers should be more conscious about people disabilities. Is not a matter of business but justice and personal grow. As a developer myself with no disabilities (at least above keeping my mouth closed) is a BIG satisfaction to be able to help other people that TOO OFTEN are completely ignored. Im really confident that if TESO developers have those "mistakes" is for lack of information (there are LOTS of disabilities) and little feedback (is not easy to give feedback with some disabilities). Believe me that doing that sort of things for some forgotten people, while usually not economical profitable, is really satisfactory. Try it man,... Imagine yourself in the other person every time you can... And imagine what you can do for them to have a better experience... Maybe Not perfect of course, but the best it can be at least. There are many things developers can do if they have more info.
    Edited by ZOS_GregoryV on 23 June 2021 01:44
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As frustrating as it is, video games are designed for people that can see. There are tons of non visual games to play... Though I agree that the flashes can be toned down a bit.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think management needs to play this game in it's entirety with a 1000 watt bulb shining in their eyes. That's what it feels like for when I do trials and dungeons.

What exactly is your disability? You didn't mention it.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    For those that may not be aware this is not just one person's issue. There is a reason why there are accessibility features on operating systems, on smart phones and other technology, It is no one's business what the OP's disability is and people do not have a right to ask. The general player base do not get to decide whether or not a person's disabilities should or should not be accommodated.

Companies must follow Human Rights Code within the laws of their Country and in most cases there is a duty to accommodate within their scope of ability to the point of undue hardship. This is not up for general player base debate.

Although Companies can ask for individual feedback, they can also do their research with various official Associations representing certain disabilities and contact Medical Professionals who have experience with mitigating visual symptoms.

Although the intent may be meant to be helpful, asking a person to adjust a monitor to accommodate the brightness isn't always the best solution. First off there should be an accessibility menu in the options to turn this down, not only in ESO but in every other game that has the technology and ability to do so, within their limit of undue hardship to remove barriers. Secondly people adjust their monitors to adapt to the majority of their work and depending on a person's limitations they may require assistance of an Occupational Therapist to adjust the generalized settings. Having an accessibility option in the main menu of the game would allow players to adjust the game without messing up the generalized settings for their monitor.

Why do you see dark mode being offered? Why do you see accessibility features? It is a worldwide issue, not one person's individual issue. This is far more vast then people realize.
  • thorwyn
    thorwyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Every handicap sucks. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about, because I, too, have one to deal with for my entire life. However, a computer game is delivered as designed. It is not a game designer's job to provide optional solutions for every potential special need of customers. There are WAY too many different handicaps and triggers out there and covering everything is impossible. And if you decide to offer a solution for one group, another group will show up and claim the same rights for their special needs and expect to be treated equally. That does not work.
    A game is a product and every customer has the chance to find out whether or not that product suits his needs and expectations. And if it does not, it his his choice to either look for individual ways to make it work for himself or go find another product. Expecting the game to provide that work aroud is not how it works. Noone is asking for a "not so bright" version of Guardians of the Galaxy because all those explosions and effects might trigger epileptic seizures. If you are suffering from that condition, YOU have to accept that this might not be the right movie for you, or YOU have the chance to tone down your TV screen ...or take the risk and watch it anyways.
    Bright screen effects are part of the game play and part of the challenge that players need to overcome. When Naviintaas goes into execute phase and the screen starts glowing all golden, that's where players need to learn to stay calm, not lose focus and remain oriented. It is a combat tactic.
    And if the dam breaks open many years too soon
    And if there is no room upon the hill
    And if your head explodes with dark forebodings too
    I'll see you on the dark side of the moon
  • Athan1
    Athan1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the point above. It's not a violation of human rights that video games require users to be able to see.

There was a similar post a while ago where a person with epilepsy demanded less flashy effects. In cases of visual or mental disabilities, players should consult with their doctors if they are even allowed to play video games because they may be further damaging their brain/vision.

I have worked with blind patients and I understand people's frustration, but this isn't this company's fault. In fact it's no one's fault, some things just are the way they are.
    Athan Atticus Imperial Templar of Shezarr
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    First off it wasn't said that anything was a violation of Human Rights. I said that Companies in certain countries have a duty to remove barriers whenever possible.

Already you see Eye Care televisions, and Monitors with phrases like low blue light, flicker free etc. There is a reason for that. There is a need worldwide when the hazards affect everyone regardless if a person has s visual disability or not. Everyone can experience eye strain, headaches when viewing monitors or televisions. This is the very reason why there is a market for these types of peripherals, in addition to accessibility features being added into software of all forms and operating systems.

People want these features whether you have a disability or not. The ability to fine tune each product with accessibility is good business practice. Not only does it open your sales market, it shows your customers that you care for their well being. If a person who had challenges had a choice which game of similar content to play, one with accessibility and one with no accessibility features, they would presumably pick the one with the features. Companies can either start to realize the vast number of people who are in need of this or see their customers and profits walk away when their competitor decides to provide these services.

Do you think Asus would make monitors for this purpose if there wasn't a need? Take a look at the selling features on televisions and monitors now and you will see a growing trend.

Just to be clear this isn't about trying to accommodate a small number of people with isolated issues Including accessibility options in the menu not only would help to remove some barriers for those that have visual challenges, but also help prevent long term use issues from occurring, which would be a benefit to all.
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't take every disability into consideration when you design a game.. and I think that visuals are one of the places where they really need to show off to get people in
  • Coatmagic
    Coatmagic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can't take every disability into consideration when you design a game.. and I think that visuals are one of the places where they really need to show off to get people in

Every other game has options to TURN OFF effects. ZoS is just special in a lot of ways --- some not so good ways.
  • zelaminator
    zelaminator
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coatmagic wrote: »

Every other game has options to TURN OFF effects. ZoS is just special in a lot of ways --- some not so good ways.

To be honest, I've never looked at those options, so I'll take your word for it.. and of it is so, then yeah maybe it would be an idea to add in that option.. OP is coming off as a rather aggressive person, so I read it as if he just wanted them to change the core game
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Digging with red, green, orange lights a must??? Really??

Maybe you should try excavating in the Frozen Coast area of Western Skyrim. ZOS' edgy grayscale frozen screen effect makes the bright square colors different (but not all 50) shades of gray.

So annoying!

Edited by Jaraal on 23 June 2021 11:17
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • Rlacoste
    Rlacoste
    ✭✭✭

Yes extremely frustrated, yes I may have ranted but I am peeved that devs MUST do this for supreme visualizations, I do use Calibrize, I do have special glasses and I still can't do a lot of the content. I play other games without problems.

I adjust the monitor for gaming, must re-adjust for browsing, adjust again for gaming, repeat repeat repeat lol
    I can see monitor when I tone down the brights, then go into dark area and what> It's extremel;y dark lol

My special glasses help with monitor but can not see letters on keyboard. I need a balance and gaming devs are not required to do so but would be nice if they were mindful.

AS a consumer I do look for games I can play without hardships. This one isn't one of them.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel you but you can't expect devs or a game to cater to your issues. I get a vertigo feeling every time I fall off a high place in game and there's a few dungeons you're forced to jump off high places like vaults of madness. I never once expected them to change the level design to cater to people with my problem even though I met others in game with the same issue.
  • Ecileh71
    Ecileh71
    ✭✭✭
    I do not have any visual disabilities, but I would be all for a toning down of area effects visuals. Sometimes in dungeons I can't tell what is a fellow player and what is mechanics because there are entirely too many flashes and colors happening at once. It was exceptionally disorienting when I was a new player. And just last night I wound up dead because I didn't realize I was standing in a kill zone because the healer was spamming enchanted growth and the dd was using that necromancer effect that causes the big blue/white circles on top of it.

And, while I am complaining, I really wish they would color the pets that happen to also be enemies (ex: daedroth) something other than what the ACTUAL enemies look like. Every once in a while I find myself trying to kill a fellow player's combat pet and it makes me want to spit nails.
  • Serenez
    Serenez
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best solution would be as mentioned in one of my previous posts is to add an accessibility menu in the options. This way the game at default will remain as is, however the option is there for others that need to make adjustments.

There are many requests on this subject, so once again this is not to cater to one person, but a collective group of people that have invested their time and finances into the game.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ecileh71 wrote: »
    I do not have any visual disabilities, but I would be all for a toning down of area effects visuals. Sometimes in dungeons I can't tell what is a fellow player and what is mechanics because there are entirely too many flashes and colors happening at once. It was exceptionally disorienting when I was a new player. And just last night I wound up dead because I didn't realize I was standing in a kill zone because the healer was spamming enchanted growth and the dd was using that necromancer effect that causes the big blue/white circles on top of it.

And, while I am complaining, I really wish they would color the pets that happen to also be enemies (ex: daedroth) something other than what the ACTUAL enemies look like. Every once in a while I find myself trying to kill a fellow player's combat pet and it makes me want to spit nails.

I agree with all this. I am more or less used to it now but t is particularly overwhelming for a new player. For a long time I had NO idea what was going on in trials because of all the effects going off. (I have particular disdain for the exploding hemoglob, which I still reflexively want to jump out of even though it's beneficial.)
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Coatmagic wrote: »

Interesting comment because out of all the games I have installed, none of them have those options.
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The flash to white is a very lazy and uninspired video-effect that is unfortunately overused in this game.

The dramatic effect could be relevant for very important cues but in the case of mundane scrying it is extremely over the top.

Perhaps a transition effect with crumbling earth graphics would be more suitable for scrying/excavation?
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people get so aggressively dismissive about accessibility options in their video game. If you don't need these options then this whole topic literally doesn't affect you.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • EmEm_Oh
    EmEm_Oh
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes extremely frustrated, yes I may have ranted but I am peeved that devs MUST do this for supreme visualizations, I do use Calibrize, I do have special glasses and I still can't do a lot of the content. I play other games without problems.

I adjust the monitor for gaming, must re-adjust for browsing, adjust again for gaming, repeat repeat repeat lol
    I can see monitor when I tone down the brights, then go into dark area and what> It's extremel;y dark lol

My special glasses help with monitor but can not see letters on keyboard. I need a balance and gaming devs are not required to do so but would be nice if they were mindful.

AS a consumer I do look for games I can play without hardships. This one isn't one of them.

Which games can you play with no issues?