Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The new chapter lacks innovation that is sorely needed.

GodsGrief
GodsGrief
✭✭✭
I understand spending money on things is my issue and reasonability, I'm not here to trash the game or cry about a refund. Or anything along those lines. I want to open a forum of conversation to see perhaps if people feel the same way as me for a game i love and will always shave a special place for.

So i pre-ordered blackwood, first and only time I've ever done that. I've been playing ESO since Summerset, so i've had pretty extensive playtime but throughout it all, I stuck with it. I assumed kinks and issues were only as prevalent due to the issues going on in the world and in due time will be fixed. However they haven't, lag is still crazy even in PVE. When you're doing a dungeon and you press the weapon swap bar 3-4 times only to change the last second causing you die, it a frustrating experience or seeing the old animations. And for 2 years we've been promised changes to the performance. Yet here we are. But I digress.

Back to my main point is, I paid 50 pounds and i feel as if though that money was sorely wasted but i am in my rights to give a stern critique. Now I am not conceited enough to believe my view is is the ONLY view. So take this how you want.

Main features of blackwood:
  • Oblivion Portals
  • Companions
  • New city

These features are the main bulk of why players pay for the expansion + Sub fee.

Companions: Yet Companions has been shipped broken, and still are broken in many regards. Despite having a long time in development to get it fixed. Now, if this was say, a genuine miss from the devs, it would have been easily excused. But it's not, it's another drop into a otherwise overfilling bucket of problems. This is why issues regarding this game are usually touted all over forums and reddit. Not because everyone is inherently toxic but because a lot of old players are getting tired and new players are just in limbo weather this game is good or not. Now it's only natural for players to come in and defend that game, but majority players only represent the casual side. For example, if some person would make a post on how easy and mind numbing overland is, another person would comment saying they enjoy the game bc of how easy it is. Akin to many other forums. It's a common theme for ESO, for people to use the game as a story alternative but get their competitive kick elsewhere in another game. But those players do not represent that audience im trying to speak to, that have been playing this game for a while but have been forgetting due to ZOS catering to one audience that values Story/easy content over a long burn story with relatively engaging combat and bosses. Companions being the main advertised feature and releasing broken to have patches so far wide-spread only add insult to injury. Again, many people will come at me saying "Devs have a hard job" "give it time" or "devs already have too much work to do" I'm sorry, but these are asinine points. What are they doing? We had 0 meaningful systems implemented apart from the addition of Necromancer. No new weapons, classes or skillines. No actual performance updates, only fluff systems to make us shup up and get by. So what exactly are they doing? we've been promised performance updates for 2 years. Yet PVP still lags, bar-swapping is laggy. and weapon/skill animations are still unfinished and barebones. No real innovation has been made regarding systems and gameplay since 2014.

Anyways moving on to avoid risking this post...

Portals: Oblivion portals are not at all satisfying all, after 2-3 times they become inferior like Dolemens, there's was 0 innovation with Oblivion portals. Instead they randomly appear to only have people in there spawn killing everything. Where is the innovation ZOS? Where is the difference? You literally reskinned dolmens and we ate it up like baby food, and many players still do. Why not make a myriad of new mob types so every Portal isn't a rehash? Randomised map layouts to make it each encounter more unique? A unique activity/puzzles doable in portals other than spawn-killing the easy and laughable "boss"? [snip] Portals offer nothing, and the lack of innovation not only in this aspect but others is something that will make a lot of players move and new players avoid joining. Suspending this MMO into limbo just like SWTOR is. I played SWTOR ages back, and i saw this exact trend kill that game. Catering towards players who finish the story in 3 hours then log out but whilst playing fashion-scrolls. I don't even blame this players and now i became one of those as nothing is making me want to spend time in ESO. I want to have a reason to spend hours and hours in ESO not money. It's sad to see money being valued over time.

The story: The story was good,. 7/10. However some glaring issues come up and have been so for a while. SPOILERS AHEAD. Its time zos. to stop making the most obvious guy the betrayer. Like literally, we get it. Villains are given a almost childlike approach, the most obvious person is the double-crosser and they speak in a annoying suspicious tone that from the get go you can tell he is going to be the evil guy. ZOS, you're player base compared to any other MMO houses the most mature players. numerous polls around reddit and the forums indicate at least 70% of your player population is 25 plus. With a good majority of those people voting in the 40+ bracket. So what's with the lack nuance? Lack of choice? Why are you building a story where lines don't matter or create distinction in the world? Why don't we get to be more than "the goody goody that saves everything and there's a happy ever after" The elder scrolls franchise is notorious on choice and player expression. You can literally be whatever and whoever you want. So why is when the IP finally makes a multiplayer game, everyone is the same. The big hero. You literally added Necromancers yet pigeon hole every playthrough and story to be one of hope ray and sunshine. Where is innovation? Diversity? Player expression? It's 2021, we cant just act like there limitations anymore, many MMOS allow your choices to be of consequence so why is the one IP that used to do it great, missed to blatantly on an MMO of all things?

Instances: The lack of instances is crazy, immersion breaking and just downright annoying . Why is it that mid-story im meant to go to "a forbidden zone" or a "place no man or mer has been in millennium" but when i zone in there's 20 players [snip] inside killing everything. ZOS, you yourself have decided to change the genre from MMO to ONLINE RPG. You chose to cater to the story over competitive systems. [snip] Make it so, when people are literally doing a main quest, it's not overshadowed or broken by random players who have 0 consequence to our story or world. And before that one person decided to make that point "you cant have thousands of instances" that's not what people want, there are a myriad of technological ways to combat this issue and there are myriad of games that DO do it, so it's not something that's not feasible, it's just something that no one is deciding to fix.

Story length: By far the biggest reason why the chapter feels underwhelming. I paid 50 pounds for a 3-4 hour story? only to have to wait to pay for a sub to finish it? I'm sorry Side quests don't matter in this equation. I love SQ's but in this regard, it's used to fluff up gameplay time. I want to know MORE about the deadlands, actually explore it. Not hop in a portal, get 10 minutes of voice line exposition then hope back out. That is not what ES IP is about. I can't recall how many times corners were cut with portals and over exposition. [snip]. I don't need to hear what literally happened 2 minutes ago, we don't need it to be dumbed down. And the puzzles.. My god. I remember being stuck in skyrim looking for clues to open up a door to somewhere remotely important. Yet in ESO you need to literally spin 3 cubes in some order (they literally give you no clues, so you just spinspinspin till its right) to literally open up a door to the DEADLANDS. Half the story was me running from a to b, going in a portal or listening to over-lengthened voiced lines.

I genuinely do not believe that year long expansions work, perhaps it did for elsewhere as then it felt like an adventure. Zone was harder, activities were fun and new and overall looked pretty. Leyawiin looks pretty but offers nothing for those wanting to explore. The cities themselves offer NOTHING new. Imagine if they focused on innovation, and actually made a card game that makes sense to travel to each city and explore its people and culture. But no. We are given a pretty and beautiful town with 0 substance other then your typical crafting and selling that literally every other city gives. I from the bottom of my hear love ESO and the only reason i made this post was because i want to show people who also love eso, how fundamentally flawed the game has become.

I want ESO to become more innovative, not just provide us with a fragmented, over-exposed and short story over the year. and we as PAYING customers just eat it up. I understand many people may feel differently, but you need to realise for this game to feel empowering, enticing and fresh. You need various groups of players to make content meaningful, and each groups, whatever box they may fall in should be focused on. I'm for the player, not the big corporations that tell us what to enjoy at the cost of innovation.

Thank you for listening and i hope to see your thoughts and opinions.

[edited for baiting and inappropriate content]
Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 23 June 2021 12:38
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The portals are a bore, exactly the same every time (except that one general that varies). The Deadlands are an eyesore. And what's up with that final battle? Why is he only vulnerable for one two seconds and then shielded while you eliminate mindless waves of easily killed foes walking to the centre. What is that supposed to be?

I agree that companions need work but I believe they will refine them further.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions would of been better if it wasn't a rip off already existing classes

Also tried of dolmen rip offs. Like come up with something creative like dragons again
    Edited by Starlight_Whisper on 23 June 2021 05:16
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cubes, you mean "I put down the book and you turn the cubes" cubes? You literally have bright glowing clues for those.

Not that you need them, though. It's true that ESO puzzles are hopelessly dumb. Like, you don't need any semblance of functioning brain to "solve" them. Generally, this game seems to accommodate [snip]

[edited for bashing and inappropriate content]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 23 June 2021 12:39
  • GodsGrief
    GodsGrief
    ✭✭✭
    FluffyBird wrote: »
    Cubes, you mean "I put down the book and you turn the cubes" cubes? You literally have bright glowing clues for those.

Not that you need them, though. It's true that ESO puzzles are hopelessly dumb. Like, you don't need any semblance of functioning brain to "solve" them. Generally, this game seems to accommodate [snip]

I didn't mean clues in that regard, I meant looking around for the patterns/symbols pertaining to the puzzles consequently allowing you to use that information to solve the puzzle. I was aware that they lit up once you hit the correct one. technically they're clues but there we're so awful and easy I genuinely didn't register people would use those as clues. But yeah i agree with the rest of what you said.
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 23 June 2021 12:39
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The story is so bad.
    Why do have to have this farce investigation into the murders?
    The whole chapter is based on Mehrunes Dagon trying to invade nirn.
    If you bought it, you already know. It's just useless fluff, to fill out and lengthen our play time.
    And for the love of everything, if I have to hear another exposition about the baddies plot, I'm literally going to puke.
    This game is not played by 5 year olds, please stop treating us like dummies.
    The bit about the ambitions was interesting, sadly the charachters lacked any depth whatsoever.
    And just in general the whole story is way too obvious.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Firstmep wrote: »
    The story is so bad.
    If you bought it, you already know. It's just useless fluff, to fill out and lengthen our play time.
    And for the love of everything, if I have to hear another exposition about the baddies plot, I'm literally going to puke.
    The bit about the ambitions was interesting, sadly the charachters lacked any depth whatsoever.

It's because they have to give everything away before the game is even out. There are no surprises in entertainment media any more.
  • Dropstitch
    Dropstitch
    ✭✭✭✭
    6Kyojin6 wrote: »
    *snip*

Leyawiin looks pretty but offers nothing for those wanting to explore.

Does it though? There is no verticality or variety to the design. I was honestly reminded of some old Runescape city.

adventure-city-fantasy-runescape-wallpaper-preview.jpg

Anyway, I did not mean to pick out one line out of an entire post, but it caught my attention.

I agree with most of what you said. Companions are a gimmick I have already grown tired of (maybe my interest will be rejuvenated if more interesting options are provided in the future). The zone feels recycled and uninspired. I quite enjoyed the story though.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Portals are the worst version of a dolmen type thing they've introduced.

Dragons are the best version of this type thing. You can see them from miles away, and while I'm sure someone has soloed them, you usually need a handful of people to get it done. It feels like something which brought people together (not so much now, but for a good year they did).

Harrowstroms, while easier and can be soloed, they're still massive and people easily know how to get involved.

Even geysers and dolmens, while really easy, are visible to everyone and people get involved. I know some base game areas are dead, but for a long time dolmens had that effect.

The portals though... It doesn't feel like anything. It feels like you go into a delve and at the end you see some people maybe. Really underwhelming. And once everyone gets the furniture recipes, they'll be totally dead.

Companions are.... boring and for a lot of people, useless. No good in proper content and can't be used in PvP (which I'm 100% glad of by the way). So really, beyond people that like roleplaying or doing casual stuff solo, what use are they?

I've been using it simply to get drops to sell. Once that market dies, I won't bother with them. They add zero to gameplay for a lot of people.

I know many will enjoy them, but past chapters had something for everyone. New class twice, new skill line and jewellery crafting and antiquities (which gives powerful items for combat and some housing stuff too).

So yeh, after the initial two weeks here, what's the point or need to go back?
  • ajkb78
    ajkb78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In your list of things people buy the chapter for you omitted the new trial. That's a major draw for a significant part of the player base and it's mostly very good, my only concern is the incoming damage from certain specific mechanics is so extreme, as well as being unpurgeable and undodgeable, that it forces at least the tanks on vet, and likely the whole team on hard mode, to be vampires just to have mist form available. Lots of incoming damage is fine up to a point, but when there's only one viable way to deal with it that forces you into one specific character choice, for one piece of content only, then that's poor design.

I disagree with your view of side quests, usually I enjoy them much more than the main storyline, and this chapter was no exception. The Stibbons one could be my favourite quest in the whole game. I just wish there were more: in just one smallish base game zone you usually have to complete around 45 quests for the Adventurer achievement, but in the chapter dlc zones there are nowhere near that many quests in total, maybe just over half that - in a zone that's far bigger than the base game zones. Seriously! Give us more quests next year, please. Not just big ones either, sometimes it's nice when you just find an elf that lost his apprentice who's held captive by like 2 goblins just the other side of an outcrop.

The public dungeons are nicely designed, especially Zenithar's Abbey, and the zone design has grown on me a bit since PTS, it's quite a good transition between Cyrodiil and Black Marsh.

I totally agree about the portals though, it's boring that they're all the same, at the least there should have been multiple map designs with portals leading to a randomly selected one. And the fact that once you're in you find a bunch of people sat around waiting for the boss to respawn is a bit lame. It would be better if once the boss dies everyone who was in combat with him was automatically removed from the instance and their reward chest appeared back in Blackwood next to the portal spawn point.

Main story quests are usually the driest, most ponderous quests, I don't know why they end up that way. It's like they're making such a huge effort to tell the story that it ends up really laboured and overwritten. I'd prefer main story questlines to have less exposition (certainly much less repetition of the exposition) and be much more varied, even if that meant more but shorter quests (or maybe longer but not repetitive quests). Sometimes the conversations in the Blackwood questline make you feel like either the NPCs or you (or both) have severe Alzheimer's and you're struggling to remember what the hell's going on, who the hell you're fighting and why.

But I disagree that you have to play them as sunshine and light. Even the most evil character can probably get on board with not wanting the world to be destroyed by Molag Bal, or by the Serpent, or by Nocturnal, or by dragons, or by the Grey Host, or by Mehrunes Dagon - even if only because they want to destroy or subjugate it themselves.
    Edited by ajkb78 on 23 June 2021 12:33
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The architecture is cute, the White Stallion Inn is cute, otherwise the chapter is pretty boring. Cute, but boring, my final assessment.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The story is so bad.

At least it was better than last year's, imo. Finding the first two ambitions was legitimately surprising to me, but it kind of dropped off from there. To a substantial degree, I blame the year-long-story. You can't have a proper resolution in the chapter story because you have to sell that as Q4 DLC, so the chapter just ... fizzles out.
    Besides the new characters lacking some depth, they also deflated recurring ones like Eveli.

The problem is, with everything else being so lackluster, the story becomes the main selling point of the chapters. But the quality just isn't there (anymore) to justify the price.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • Michaelkeir
    Michaelkeir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @6Kyojin6, I agree with most of what you said. But I’ll give you my take on a few of your points.

Companions- You stated, “Companions has been shipped broken, and still are broken in many regards.” How are they broken exactly? Only broken thing I’ve seen were the quest markers over other players companions heads. Is there other bugs or glitches with them?

I personally don’t care for them honestly. But I do see a small use for them. Mostly to help my tank deal more damage doing quest and to keep world bosses in one spot so I don’t have to focus on healing myself on my DPS and can just focus on burning them down. I can solo most all world boss’s alone, but they do help make it go a few seconds faster. If I could use a helmet or polymorph them I’d really love using them more. Mostly for my necromancer so he could have an actual skeleton minion with him at all times.

Portals- I agree with this. The first time I saw a portal I laughed out loud. I mean seriously. They look so insignificant. I was expecting something like this…
    P7gR2gR.jpg
    As for your other suggestions, the reason they don’t make portals unique and different is because it is all about the $$$. The less money they put into newer and varied and unique portals/dolmens is because they save money that way. Less money they spend, means they save more $$$ for their pockets.

Story- Oh I agree with you here. The story was decent but could have been better. The villain I saw coming a mile away. I actually figured out who it was within minutes of meeting them. Same with Greymoor and Elsweyr. Both had 1 dimensional villains and with a princess to come and save the day. Unoriginal.

Like you I want choices. I don’t always want to play the good guy. I want evil options. I’m not saying I want to be on the level of the main villain of the chapter, but at least give me the option to pick some not so good choices in my quest responses. I have a necromancer, Dark brotherhood nightblade who murders innocents randomly, and a stage 4 vampire who feeds on as many people in each zone as I can. They most definitely aren’t going to pick the “save the town village” option. They are going to try and manipulate the situation to benefit them. So having an option in quest would go a long way in my honest opinion.

• Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »
    The story is so bad.

At least it was better than last year's, imo. Finding the first two ambitions was legitimately surprising to me, but it kind of dropped off from there. To a substantial degree, I blame the year-long-story. You can't have a proper resolution in the chapter story because you have to sell that as Q4 DLC, so the chapter just ... fizzles out.
    Besides the new characters lacking some depth, they also deflated recurring ones like Eveli.

The problem is, with everything else being so lackluster, the story becomes the main selling point of the chapters. But the quality just isn't there (anymore) to justify the price.

My problem is that it's more or less the same story told over and over again.
    Just like with most of the chapter content, like put licks dungeons,world bosses, dolmen mechanic etc. Its like they have a formula and are just sticking to it.
    It's an easy way to churn out content, but like everything else in Eso for a while now it just seems super low effort.
    Just look at companions, 0 interaction with even Blackwood content, fewer lines than any rando side quest npc.
    It's just shoddy work all around it's just sad.
    And I know they said they wanted to dial back to amount of new systems and scale in general, but the polish we were promised in turn isn't there either.
    It is just less effort for the same price.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't mean clues in that regard, I meant looking around for the patterns/symbols pertaining to the puzzles consequently allowing you to use that information to solve the puzzle. I was aware that they lit up once you hit the correct one. technically they're clues but there we're so awful and easy I genuinely didn't register people would use those as clues. But yeah i agree with the rest of what you said.

I meant that you have glowing symbols above the book, when Eveli places it. After that you turn the cubes so that symbols on them correspond to the symbols the book shows. Valid clue IMO.
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive just been wrapping up Morrowind on a newer character of mine and i swear each chapter there are less and less quests. Summerset had less quest time than Morrowind it feels like, Elsweyr felt pretty short. Greymoor was even shorter and now Blackwood is following the trend?

Portals do feel like a revamped Dolmen.They did this with the battlegrounds and they do it with mounts and pets and such all the time. Everything feels like a reskin that they try to pull off as something new and innovative and really isnt. It is just a different version of what we had.They keep selling us the same thing over and over.

Companions were really disappointing. They made out like companions were going to be useful and they fall short on even being equal to a bad player who is distracted. They aren't even half as good as a combat pet and i didn't have to pay for those as a "feature".

I do love the zone and building style in general but i do feel like they sold us a bunch of "fluff" without a lot of actual content in this one. Honestly, i think they are being overly ambitious for their team size or something. They put out a lot better material before we got year long stories. Every since we got year long stories i feel like each year is a little less developed and polished than the last.
    Edited by ThorianB on 24 June 2021 06:13
  • Flamebait
    Flamebait
    ✭✭✭

I meant that you have glowing symbols above the book, when Eveli places it. After that you turn the cubes so that symbols on them correspond to the symbols the book shows. Valid clue IMO.

It would be a valid clue if there was any way to not do it right. As it is once the cube spins to the right symbol you cannot interact with it anymore so there is zero chance that you can get the wrong answer. That is taking the idea of a lazy puzzle to the highest artform levels.
  • FluffyBird
    FluffyBird
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Flamebait wrote: »

It would be a valid clue if there was any way to not do it right. As it is once the cube spins to the right symbol you cannot interact with it anymore so there is zero chance that you can get the wrong answer. That is taking the idea of a lazy puzzle to the highest artform levels.

The person I was responding to complained about not having any clues as to what you re supposed to achieve in the puzzle, I only pointed out that in this case clues are present.

That they are useless is a different topic, which apparently cannot be discussed without bashing, baiting and "inappropriate content", lol.

ESO puzzles are hopeless, true. As I said, it may have been done to accommodate all... uhm... skill levels, to put it politely.
  • Dropstitch
    Dropstitch
    ✭✭✭✭
    Flamebait wrote: »

The person I was responding to complained about not having any clues as to what you re supposed to achieve in the puzzle, I only pointed out that in this case clues are present.

That they are useless is a different topic, which apparently cannot be discussed without bashing, baiting and "inappropriate content", lol.

ESO puzzles are hopeless, true. As I said, it may have been done to accommodate all... uhm... skill levels, to put it politely.

To be fair, ESO puzzles have always been - look at symbols on walls, recreate the same sequence on interactables- I assume someone made the decision that such a low bar may as well be removed in its entirety.