The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Storing stolen items - revisit from archived conversations

KeySmasher
KeySmasher
Soul Shriven
Every conversation I've read about this has been closed so I couldn't offer my very different opinion no the matter. As a solo player, this sounds like a great idea to store loot until you can sell it off all at once, but this is an MMO, and in a sense, every player is playing to get ahead of one another. With that being said, one of the restrictions we're given on stolen goods is how much you can sell in a day. Characters completing more of the Legerdemain/Trafficker skill can sell more per day, but this skill is character unique so passing stolen goods from one character to another has to be restricted because of this. Additionally, this limit per day controls how quickly you can rake in the dough for your theft, and storing a bunch of loot you got in one day just so you can sell it off each day may encourage only playing for 5 minutes most days and longer sessions less frequently. ESO is all about advertising specials daily to lure you in so it makes sense that they'll want to get you to spend more time playing each day. Our inventory storage is limited but increasable at a cost. This sets another limit to help maintain balance and push you to buy more storage space from the pack merchants.

The only way I see stolen good storage working out in a way that maintains balance is if all of the following conditions apply:
1) Contents are an extension of your inventory and count towards inventory limits.
2) Contents are protected from confiscation by guards when you get caught.
3) The chest is character bound.
4) Anything stored lowers how much you can sell to a fence by that quantity so storage limits are based solely on remaining fence selling allowance.

With this, you can either just take your goods to be sold to a fence right away, or, store them for a while waiting to see if you get a thieves guild quest for a buyer who wants certain fenced goods. Then if you have them in storage, you can fence them for the quest. If you need the money, you can just take the stolen goods out and sell them. You can also use this to hold lowered valued goods in hopes of finding higher value ones and then just sell off the lower valued ones near the end of your daily cycle. Of course, for this to be easy we'd need a way to see how much more time we have before the fence count resets. I doubt it just resets fully though in a day. I think each item we sell sets a 24 hour timer so that item is in holding and taking up a slot until that time passes. So for instance, if you sell 10 items at 1am and 90 items at 1pm then at 1am the next day your allowance will increase by 10 again and by 1pm the next day it will increase by 90 again. If this is actually the case, then the storage with the above parameters can be a bit difficult to work with, but we could get more skill upgrades unlocked (currently limited to 4) and you would have to spend skill points on them.

In summary, all previous discussions on the matter of storing stolen loot have only given feedback on how much players want that extra inventory space but no suggestions have been given on how best to provide that without throwing the game out of balance. I feel the special limitations specified above provide ZeniMax with a way to provide that feature while sticking with their goals providing potential additional revenue sources. There can be a crown store item for Fence Favor, which adds additional daily fencing or the personally owned Thief Stash Box, which would not have the controls specified by item 4 above but would still be character bound furniture for the house and locked to any other character (and cannot be picked). The container that meets all 4 specifications above would have to be quest earned and limited to just one as a result.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No.

This has also been done to death. Either fence/launder the items or risk them being stolen. These items often carry significantly more value in terms of in-game gold worth than others and as such have a balance to them.

The game also offers a host of ways for you to get away from justice officials if caught. Furthermore it’s super easy to free warp to a house you got for free and then enter a thieves guild.

The point is there is a playstyle designed by the developers to evoke the illicit activity of being a thief. Your suggestion would basically completely dismantle that. If you don’t own it, you can’t bank it.
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    No.

This has also been done to death. Either fence/launder the items or risk them being stolen. These items often carry significantly more value in terms of in-game gold worth than others and as such have a balance to them.

The game also offers a host of ways for you to get away from justice officials if caught. Furthermore it’s super easy to free warp to a house you got for free and then enter a thieves guild.

The point is there is a playstyle designed by the developers to evoke the illicit activity of being a thief. Your suggestion would basically completely dismantle that. If you don’t own it, you can’t bank it.

Agree'd, but if w/ max passive, IMO, it's to little & I'd prefer to have "Stolen" end up in their own Inventory bag.

Yes, still be able to "LOSE" it if caught, but there are days, where I steal alot, as I don't "count" what I'm taking, then end up w/ no space for drops w/o breaking something THAT I actually need to sell for $$.

Remember, new players need $$. 11 days in and I've only just gotten to 25k gold, this is stealing anything NOT nailed down, selling every p*o*s white item, and every rune/crafting crud that a low level has no use for.

It takes forever man.

We need something to help out....

BUT not what TS is asking for....
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Or you know just steal the amount you can fence in one day then stop, switch to another character and repeat if you want to continue stealing for longer.
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    Or you know just steal the amount you can fence in one day then stop, switch to another character and repeat if you want to continue stealing for longer.

Don't want multiple character bra.

I'm a casual, one char is GOD's plenty for me.

And as I said, I don't COUNT what I steal, I just steal/assassinate NPC for items..
  • KeySmasher
    KeySmasher
    Soul Shriven
    ...Don't want multiple character bra...
    I managed to run two characters, but that's only because my first was an Elf and I found that each race has different abilities. The Kajit turns out to be quite a good thief, with his ability to become invisible with just a little magic. I hate that potions have such a long cool down.