The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stop with these maintenance!!

• wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Which would you rather have regular announced and 90% predictable maintenance or maintenance that is unpredictable, lasts several days at a time, sudden, and may contain data loss?

Regular maintenance allows for game stability and there is not an online game out there that cares about their game that doesnt have maintenance. Even your consoles and PCs require maintenance.

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How would ZOS fix the game without maintenance?
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rast wrote: »
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    8 hour standard maintenance for 7 years old product is a sign of glaring incompetence from infrastructure team.

Anyone who deny that needs to realise that most of other similar services has ZERO minutes maintenances - they still happen in the background, they just have a tech to spin servers up with updated code in the background.

The most I've seen is like BDO, they do like 2-4hour maintenance every 2 weeks, while they add TON of new content every time they do this. Having 8 hour maintenance with minimal or zero changes is embarrassing.

I would not go as far as labeling it 'incompetence'. I have no reason to believe their infrastructure staff to be incompetent.

IMO they don't do it because they don't have to; this is how 'things have been done' with regard to MMOs since as long as I can remember and every time - like the present - when is suggested that they could do better we quickly jump in to make excuses for them.

For as long as we do that and we actually allow it to happen with no consequence for the publisher nothing will change; how would you justify to your employer the - I may add non-trivial - additional expense when us, the customers, are not only fine with how things are done but we actually defend the practice?

Operating at absolute tail end of industry practices IS the definition of being incompetent.
    Definition of incompetent

a : lacking the qualities needed for effective action

They act, i.e. the do maintenance, and they do it ineffectively for today's standards. I challenge you to find another live service which has such wide hardware support timeframes.

There is hardly anything us - the customers - can do here other then highlight this issue and spread the knowledge. While the maintenance schedule is atrocious, the overall product is good, and since support is non-significiant part of overall product it's quite unlikely they glaring issues with those schedules could have any noticeable impact on revenue ZOS brings in.

All this is not dispelling the fact, that this part of the business is in dire state.

Business often invest in parts of it's activities that brings zero returns. For instance, take a look at visual identification overhauls. Such campaigns cost million of dollars, yet the benefits are totally intangible. Does not mean there is no benefit for the business in such spendings. There is always a reputation which is worth investing in.

I might have taken the 'incompetence' part it a bit too personally, as it turns out my job is to support the infrastructure of my employer's business.

Said that I have on numerous occasions made clear that I would much rather ZOS joining us in the 21st Century - so to speak and that no other entertainment medium would be able to afford practices like this (long, regular downtime due to maintenance with zero consideration for region-specific circumstances).

However given the prevalence of supportive comments in threads like these I accept that I am not in the majority.
  • joerginger
    joerginger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They don't fix the game at all. So what's the point of the maintenance?
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    8 hour standard maintenance for 7 years old product is a sign of glaring incompetence from infrastructure team.

Anyone who deny that needs to realise that most of other similar services has ZERO minutes maintenances - they still happen in the background, they just have a tech to spin servers up with updated code in the background.

The most I've seen is like BDO, they do like 2-4hour maintenance every 2 weeks, while they add TON of new content every time they do this. Having 8 hour maintenance with minimal or zero changes is embarrassing.

I would not go as far as labeling it 'incompetence'. I have no reason to believe their infrastructure staff to be incompetent.

IMO they don't do it because they don't have to; this is how 'things have been done' with regard to MMOs since as long as I can remember and every time - like the present - when is suggested that they could do better we quickly jump in to make excuses for them.

For as long as we do that and we actually allow it to happen with no consequence for the publisher nothing will change; how would you justify to your employer the - I may add non-trivial - additional expense when us, the customers, are not only fine with how things are done but we actually defend the practice?

Operating at absolute tail end of industry practices IS the definition of being incompetent.
    Definition of incompetent

a : lacking the qualities needed for effective action

They act, i.e. the do maintenance, and they do it ineffectively for today's standards. I challenge you to find another live service which has such wide hardware support timeframes.

There is hardly anything us - the customers - can do here other then highlight this issue and spread the knowledge. While the maintenance schedule is atrocious, the overall product is good, and since support is non-significiant part of overall product it's quite unlikely they glaring issues with those schedules could have any noticeable impact on revenue ZOS brings in.

All this is not dispelling the fact, that this part of the business is in dire state.

Business often invest in parts of it's activities that brings zero returns. For instance, take a look at visual identification overhauls. Such campaigns cost million of dollars, yet the benefits are totally intangible. Does not mean there is no benefit for the business in such spendings. There is always a reputation which is worth investing in.

I might have taken the 'incompetence' part it a bit too personally, as it turns out my job is to support the infrastructure of my employer's business.

Said that I have on numerous occasions made clear that I would much rather ZOS joining us in the 21st Century - so to speak and that no other entertainment medium would be able to afford practices like this (long, regular downtime due to maintenance with zero consideration for region-specific circumstances).

However given the prevalence of supportive comments in threads like these I accept that I am not in the majority.

You should be in the majority.

We have examples in this thread where this problem has been solved.

However, ZOS actually doing it would probably cut into that sweet, sweet microtransaction money.
  • Johnfred24
    Johnfred24
    ✭✭✭
    Which would you rather have regular announced and 90% predictable maintenance or maintenance that is unpredictable, lasts several days at a time, sudden, and may contain data loss?

Regular maintenance allows for game stability and there is not an online game out there that cares about their game that doesnt have maintenance. Even your consoles and PCs require maintenance.

So those are the options? As I have already sayed other MMORPGs have much less down time. I do not remember a single day of downtime in Guild Wars 2 in the last 3 years.
  • Elrond87
    Elrond87
    ✭✭✭
    well it is a needed thing to do, and besides there are many things in life other than this game, get on the PTS if it bothers so much
    Edited by Elrond87 on 17 May 2021 17:24
    PC|EU
    Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive. Elbert Hubbard

"If you are depressed you are living in the past if you are anxious you are living in the future, if you are at peace, you are living in the present." Lao Tzu

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. Oscar Wilde
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Johnfred24 wrote: »

So those are the options? As I have already sayed other MMORPGs have much less down time. I do not remember a single day of downtime in Guild Wars 2 in the last 3 years.

I wish Anet would come to console.
  • tonne.backlinderb16_ESO
    It would be great if the had a plan what to do during maintenance. So we don't have these extensions. Since they always stumble on something unexpected.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too bad I dropped my ESO+ so I guess I cant complain
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • Klad
    Klad
    ✭✭✭✭
    So on one hand people are complaining about Bugs
    On the other hand they are complaining about the devs taking the servers down so they can address some (not all) of the bugs plaguing the game, and add new assets for the upcoming expansion

This is not a good look, my dudes.

The Game suux0rz, I canceled muh sub....what its down due to maintenance?? Let us in, Let us in!!!!!!!!!!!
    Edited by Klad on 17 May 2021 18:44
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Then go play GW2 until ESO is back up then play ESO, or don't. No one has a gun to your head to keep trying to log in.
  • Vonkarolinas
    Vonkarolinas
    ✭✭✭
    Levianna wrote: »
    sex with husband/wife/bf/gf

Give us GAME, pls!! We are paying you for it!! Love ya... <3

My goodness. Where do they find the energy? Sounds like ESO is a break from their "social activities".
  • Johnfred24
    Johnfred24
    ✭✭✭

Then go play GW2 until ESO is back up then play ESO, or don't. No one has a gun to your head to keep trying to log in.

What is it with comments like that?
    Are we not allowed to ask for improvements? We pay for this after all. It is obvious that other company's have found ways to handle maintenance better so why wouldn't we want ZOS to improve their system?
    Also there is such a thing as daily login rewards. A game that has such rewards should also give me the possibility to log in daily.
    Edited by Johnfred24 on 17 May 2021 19:17
  • Marto
    Marto
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ESO does have longer and more frequent maintenance downtimes than the average MMO, but not by much.

But it doesn't make sense to compare it to Guild Wars 2. That game is an outlier, not the norm. ArenaNet has pretty fantastic systems for rolling out updates in a seamless ways.

The downside is that Guild Wars 2 servers are pretty sluggish, non-dynamic, and the game overall has quite bad performance, specially considering how the graphics have aged, and how much simpler of a game it is.

Pros and cons, you know? Not every game or every studio is going to be perfect.
    "According to the calculations of the sages of the Cult of the Ancestor Moth, the batam guar is the cutest creature in all Tamriel"
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PigofSteel wrote: »
    Best would be daily 30min like in some other games...

I'd think that might depend on what they need to do during maintenance. Not all maintenances are equal. If it's just a server reboot or something like that, it goes quickly. But if there's something more complex that needs to be done before and/or after the server reboot, then it takes more time. And if there's something that needs to be done with the databases, the size of the databases will surely be a factor.
    Maintenance every week would be fine if they were constant and ended on time. Also if they were doing balance changes and tweaks every week we would not have these slug hammer patches. I play other games that have patches every week and you get use to it. And when they have maintenance that runs long they apologize to the player base. This would require more out of pocket money for staff and that ain't happening.

Back when ESO had weekly maintenances, they were still somewhat unpredictable in duration. The end time that's posted even before the servers have been taken down is nothing more than a rough estimate, presumably based on how much they plan to do and how long it's taken to do those things in the past, with perhaps some padding to allow for wiggle room and to make the end time nice and neat. I mean, you never see them say that maintence is expected to end at some oddball time like 8:17 AM Eastern Time; it's always some hour.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ackwalan wrote: »
    How would ZOS fix the game without maintenance?

and these maitenances change nothing with often breaking more

after last maitencnances not only I feel combot more clunky than ever...like playing with 500 pning while having 90-200
    still not fixed/changed and after this maitenance I feel nothing have changed for better, at best it stayed same if not get worse somewhere
  • iksde
    iksde
    ✭✭✭✭
    Klad wrote: »
    So on one hand people are complaining about Bugs
    On the other hand they are complaining about the devs taking the servers down so they can address some (not all) of the bugs plaguing the game, and add new assets for the upcoming expansion

This is not a good look, my dudes.

The Game suux0rz, I canceled muh sub....what its down due to maintenance?? Let us in, Let us in!!!!!!!!!!!

and maitenances doesnt fix bugs, they should fix problems with performance etc yet these maitenance barely change anything for good, at best we have changed nothing to not get something worse than it was - look at console some time ago when they had many problem with interface etc and yet they get even worse after maitenance so how these "maitenances" are for fixes?
  • PunkAben
    PunkAben
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe make a maintenance against maintenance ?
    At least the maintenance is where few people playing, so no big deal !
    The good news about computers is that they do what you tell them to do.The bad news is that they do what you tell them to do.Ted NelsonElder Scrolls Online most balanced part is maybe the the number of bugs and not bugs!
  • barney2525
    barney2525
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Thavie wrote: »
    They could at the very least write the maintenance times with CET and GMT and not just the times that NA users use.

You do know what UTC means, right?..

Ugly Taxi Color ?
    :#
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    ANNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDDD.

Infinite loading queue again.

Not a big soup rice.
  • Majkiy
    Majkiy
    ✭✭✭
    Why complain about an maintenance.. it's only.. you know.. ONCE in 2 weeks.. you get.. like.. 6 hours taken off in .. 2 weeks, which is like, 336 hours, you know.. so not much of a .. problem.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    This thread has been locked as a duplicate to another thread found here.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.