The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Be or not to be ? Fake DD, but good dummy DPS, or good DD, but fake dummy DPS ?

• furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jacozilla wrote: »

No, I am saying you are using the term incorrectly because you are. Even if I agreed with every other point you've made in this thread what you have been describing still would not be a straw man. It is just not the right term.

Sorry my error, not OP but coop500 who is the one I replied to - he stated ‘100k leet dps’ to which I disagreed and said why, then your reply, etc snowball from there.

Let me ask another question - how can it be common for 100k or whatever parse you want to define as extremely upper end when that proportion of the user base is so incredibly small? E.g. how can an uncommonly small percentage be what you call common enough to fit this narrative?

I’ve no stats so wont pretend to make up numbers, but whether 100k+ is fraction of a percent or some few percent like 1-3%, unless you think 100k parsers are common, how can you have what amounts to an extremely uncommon fraction of player population be common enough to say this is usual enough for the thread narrative to be true?

Personally as I’ve said multiple times, I believe ppl are confusing players with merely decent parses or exaggerating for effect 100k or whatever really high parse that fits whatever patch top-top end min max skill.

There are two failure modes being described here, and they are getting mixed up, and you have actually agreed with both of them:

1. "100K leets" might want to use their skill to skip mechs, and when that happens, they endanger the overall success of the group. This is what coop500 was referring to. You agreed with that.
    2. DPS who perform well on parses in general but are not necessarily "leet" (80-85K) might suffer in actual combat situations, because the addition of mechanics and combat complexity is too much for them (the "fake DPS" in the OP). Several people posted their experiences demonstrating the commonality of this phenomenon. You agreed with this as well.

So, I guess I'm not sure where you are coming from on this, unless it's to say that the "100K leets" can universally do great in trials and dungeons when they understand and follow mechanics. I'm sure we'd all agree that's true.

Edited by furiouslog on 17 May 2021 21:26
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, it have already been said in several other threads as well.

People are "good on dummy" because they pay attention to the game. If they pay attention to the game, they are also good in actual content, and will play mechanics accordingly.

If a DD reach high number, there's no way he can be bad in actual content, because reaching 70k+ on the dummy means a solid knowledge of the game, and also more importantly, A REAL WILL TO BE GOOD.

So, yeah, in the crushing, overwhelmingly vast majority of the cases, a DD doing great parses will do great in content.
    The minimal, insignificant other handful of cases are exclusively caused by a temporary inexperience regarding a given, specific content. One run later, said DD will do great.

Now, that's not to say that DD parsing lower are bad. You can be very good with a lower throughtput, also, and it would never cross my mind to expell a player for low DPS (except of course if it's VERY low in vet content .. seek advice, then, gotta crawl before you walk).
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    preevious wrote: »
    So, yeah, in the crushing, overwhelmingly vast majority of the cases, a DD doing great parses will do great in content.
    The minimal, insignificant other handful of cases are exclusively caused by a temporary inexperience regarding a given, specific content. One run later, said DD will do great.

Wow, this has not been my experience at all. Just one run, eh? You must hang with savants.
  • preevious
    preevious
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    furiouslog wrote: »

Wow, this has not been my experience at all. Just one run, eh? You must hang with savants.

Yeah, well, it's a bit of an hyperbole, I admit.
    What I meant is that they'll try to understand the mechs, and they will.
    But yeah, getting them right might take an handful of tries.

They'll end up doing great because that's what they actively seek.
    Edited by preevious on 17 May 2021 18:31
  • furiouslog
    furiouslog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fair enough. I still have PTSD from working with 6 newer DPS trying to figure out twins in vMOL a few months ago. It required patience. We did it though.
  • Greystag
    Greystag
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wait 'til OP finds out some mechanics literally require "good dd".

You can't pick between these. People should strive to be both, and those who get high parse numbers usually are mechanically good too. Being good at dealing with mechanics doesn't excuse below-average damage...
    Edited by Greystag on 17 May 2021 18:36
    | PC / EU |
    | Aspen Greystag, Khajiit Warden, Frosty boi |
    | Healer, Tank, Damage dealer |
    | CP: 1800 |
    | Guilds: Officer at Meridia's Light |
  • ThoughtRaven
    ThoughtRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭

People are "good on dummy" because they pay attention to the game. If they pay attention to the game, they are also good in actual content, and will play mechanics accordingly.

If a DD reach high number, there's no way he can be bad in actual content, because reaching 70k+ on the dummy means a solid knowledge of the game, and also more importantly, A REAL WILL TO BE GOOD.

Now, that's not to say that DD parsing lower are bad. You can be very good with a lower throughtput, also, and it would never cross my mind to expell a player for low DPS (except of course if it's VERY low in vet content .. seek advice, then, gotta crawl before you walk).

[snip]

Parsing well on a dummy, standing still, dealing with no mechanics and no distractions is completely different from doing big numbers in end game content.

There is a very meaningful number of people who stretch the limits of their ability and concentration just parsing, and fall absolutely flat when you add mechanics. I know several. And no these are not one off issues. They happen over and over.

It is fallacious to present a dichotomy between parsing well and playing well, but it is also absurd to act like 99.9999% of people who parse well also play well. It simply isn't the case.

There is a reasonable middle ground here between "parses are meaningless" and "good parses basically guarantee a good player". That middle ground is "good parses are generally a good indicator of a good player, but often are not". Unfortunately, for many, nuance is anathema and extreme absolutist views are the norm.

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on 17 May 2021 19:45
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    furiouslog wrote: »

Yeah, well, it's a bit of an hyperbole, I admit.
    What I meant is that they'll try to understand the mechs, and they will.
    But yeah, getting them right might take an handful of tries.

They'll end up doing great because that's what they actively seek.

Depends on the quality of the player and overall experience. That said solid players can clear most HM dungeons after a few reps so long as the rest of their team can manage the same or have experience. My latest personal experience was in Fang Lair where we got ND/SR on our first run together but it took me about 4 reps of HM to get used to the pace or mechs. Once I understood the cadence of the fight HM went down without any issues at all.

Pugging that’s stuff is a nightmare though or even running inexperienced guild members through can be a pain as well. I once spent 5 hours in a teaching run trying get guild mates through vet Unhallowed Grave side bosses and HM. Things started out promising enough but that last side boss was killing the team because they had a hard time grasping mechs. The final boss actually went better, but we were pretty beat up. I would never last that long with a PUG though for sure!
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    My answer to that is that "common" like many terms can be used relatively just as it can be used absolutely. (And only a Sith deals in absolutes)

Online = Good. Maintenance = Bad.

Unlimited p0wer!!11!!!

• zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pugging that’s stuff is a nightmare though or even running inexperienced guild members through can be a pain as well.

I pugged vFV few days ago, and got a group of the following CP:
    160, 175, 304.

I ain't kidding. That's the group I got. After first wipe, I noticed their cp. My first thought was "wait what". My second thought was "uh, wait what". After that I explained the situation to them (which is they shouldn't be able to queue for vet dlc dungeons with their cp) and then, I explained mechanics. Then I proceeded to explain before every boss (excluding n3) we had total 2 wipes. Including the in the beginning. Took us around an hour to finish the thing. It is all about people's will to learn mechanics, I prefer a group of 3 lowbies than a the group of 3 1200+ CPs that won't stack on the troll's butt or bash boss when he punches me, also known as, the group before the lowbies.
    Edited by zvavi on 17 May 2021 19:05
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for Baiting. Ensure when engaging in a discussion that you keep said discussion civil, constructive, and within the rules. If you see a post that is baiting in nature do not engage it with further hostility and instead report it for the moderators to review.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Staff Post
  • ForeverJenn
    ForeverJenn
    ✭✭✭
    My experience has been that I generally see capable DPS pull about half their parse in real content. The parse shows me how much I can expect from someone in content. If someone is parsing 100k but spending time dead because they are out of range or standing in AOE, they may need to join a progression run and learn something. Maybe suggest to them how to have an easier time. If they still don't listen then boot them.

Most people could benefit from a single tip. But in general, the dummy parse is used for a reference point to guage a player's dps competency. Nothing more. I don't meet many players who can parse 80k+ on a dummy and then utterly fail in content. And if they do a quick " Hey stand with the rest of the group so you get healed" is all that's needed.
    Edited by ForeverJenn on 17 May 2021 20:15
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I've run into players that have the mindset that the amount of DPS they can do means they don't need to do the other stuff. It isn't that they don't know the mechanics or can't do the mechanics. It is that they refuse. I'll admit I've not run across a significant number of these types of players but they do exist. I quit running with a friend because he has an attitude that dodging, blocking, rezzing, or doing anything else that makes him miss a skill in his rotation is beneath his abilities.

There are players that spend time on dummies to get the big numbers so they can then post those big numbers. The type that posts their DPS and percentage after every fight and may even comment on carrying the group when truth be told they weren't helping the group much at all. With a few exceptions trials and dungeons do not have a DPS race. Those that do the numbers needed are not huge.

Again these types of players are not common but they are out there. As we tend to remember bad experiences more readily than good it can seem the problem is worse than it really is.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • AyaDark
    AyaDark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Comrades.

You are wrong.

What is difference of DD with 80 k dps and 100 k dps ?

DD put all his skills on DPS and remove healing and put all sustain to SPD or WPD.

And a lot of us do "fake" parses a lot of times, of build no sane gamer will go anywhere ;)

With no heal ability sloted with no sustain and etc.

But just think about it.

You understand perfectly, if you usesome 1 target ability on Atro you can sustain, but if you use any AOE that is more expensive you will not sustain.

What is all this for ?

You will not goclose portal in vCR as example with no healing sloted.

Or may be you will go there with melle weapons on mage ?

Some builds are good just to stand and attack from behind target.
    If you do not want to go mech and etc.

Even if you do LA+skill perfectly and your DPS is 100k and 10k are LA in it, if you skip 50% of la your dps will be 95k, if all build is the same.

But with out some ability sloted, your DPS will be 80k if you do rotation perfectly.
    If you have healing sloted. Becouse you will have better sustain and healing as example.

I see no skill in 80-100k at all.

When you do not slack LA and skills i think a lot of other things are more important.

Not to get 100k in builds with no healing sloted ;), becouse no healing sloted.

As example.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At this point I'm pulling 60k in the 21mil but I'm a valuable and trusted asset in my prog team. It's two different kind of skills. Some have one or the other, some have both, a lot have neither.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    AyaDark wrote: »
    Comrades.

You are wrong.

DD put all his skills on DPS and remove healing and put all sustain to SPD or WPD.

And a lot of us do "fake" parses a lot of times, of build no sane gamer will go anywhere ;)

But just think about it.

You understand perfectly, if you usesome 1 target ability on Atro you can sustain, but if you use any AOE that is more expensive you will not sustain.

What is all this for ?

Even if you do LA+skill perfectly and your DPS is 100k and 10k are LA in it, if you skip 50% of la your dps will be 95k, if all build is the same.

But with out some ability sloted, your DPS will be 80k if you do rotation perfectly.
    If you have healing sloted. Becouse you will have better sustain and healing as example.

When you do not slack LA and skills i think a lot of other things are more important.

As example.

That is a lot of runt. But in vCR, if I am not going portals, I will not have healings slotted. Lokke non HM? No healings. Yolna? No healings. Navii not portals? No healings.vMoL? No healing (unless runner).

Healers exist for a reason. We are not 12 solo players. Nor we are building for worst case scenario. We are 12 teammates built for efficiency.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zvavi wrote: »
    Comrades.

You are wrong.

But just think about it.

What is all this for ?

As example.

That is a lot of runt. But in vCR, if I am not going portals, I will not have healings slotted. Lokke non HM? No healings. Yolna? No healings. Navii not portals? No healings.vMoL? No healing (unless runner).

Healers exist for a reason. We are not 12 solo players. Nor we are building for worst case scenario. We are 12 teammates built for efficiency.

That’s why vCR portal is often magblade as well. Run entropy instead of degen, swallow soul as spamable, bow proc every 5th skill. It’s all the heals you need. Tank runs 3rd orb after second elevator and you take the pizza back upstairs to DPS the mini.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Naftal wrote: »
    Are you asking "would you rather know how to do mechanics or how to deal damage"?

Because I'd prefer doing both.

Yeah I'm pretty sure you'd want to know both...I didn't realize it was supposed to be a one or the other kind of choice? lol
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Translation, I might not parse as high as the top DDs but at least I dont die as often..
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you asking "would you rather know how to do mechanics or how to deal damage"?

Because I'd prefer doing both.

It is hard to do both if for doing more dps and need in doing mechanics you have no sloted healing ;)

You shouldn't need much healing if you know the dungeon mechanics well enough to avoid the damage instead of trying to heal through it. And the damage that's unavoidable can be taken care of by a healer.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brrrofski wrote: »
    Well the idea is, the higher your DPS on a dummy, the more confident you are with a rotation.

Nobody expects that DPS in a trial, but the more comfortable you are with a rotation, the higher the chance of you keeping to it as much as possible while doing mechanics.

So I'm not sure what you're even getting at tbh.

This is just another jab against the strawman of a player who only parses against dummy with a dummy parsing build but for some reason doesn't use a build X for doing content X.

I feel like some people use this strawman to make themselves feel better about not doing good damage. I don't know why people want to keep this strawman of a player that doesn't exist still alive. There's at least one big streaming content creator who continuously speaks against dummy dps and I feel like is a big reason why this mentality and threads like this exist.

I mean these dummy hoppers that stay on the ground aren't super rare in pugs. They aren't common but they aren't super rare, in my experience.

That said, this is very much a "why not both?" situation as a lot of the people who care enough to dps test also tend to be the people who care enough to memorize the mechanics of dungeons. And thus are competent teammates with good damage. Again, in my experience.

I think a lot of people like to stereotype people who practice on dummies with negative qualities because they are insecure about their own abilities, though they'd never admit it.

Also no, it is not a strawman argument. A strawman is one someone puts words in YOUR mouth, that cannot fairly be regarded as a summary of your argument, and then argues against that. This is more of the false dilemma fallacy, as it's not attributing these arguments to dummy hoppers. But rather presenting a either/or choice that implies that there are no other options in order to convince people to agree them by presenting faulty information.

As to your argument about what the majority is like and whether or not their is validity to their high parse/bad dps generalization....

Truth of the matter is none of us have stats on this phenomenon to know what percentage of the high parse playerbase dies often. And your anecdotal experience simply cannot be used to refute someone's own anecdote as false.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 18 May 2021 17:21
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »

I've run into players that have the mindset that the amount of DPS they can do means they don't need to do the other stuff. It isn't that they don't know the mechanics or can't do the mechanics. It is that they refuse. I'll admit I've not run across a significant number of these types of players but they do exist. I quit running with a friend because he has an attitude that dodging, blocking, rezzing, or doing anything else that makes him miss a skill in his rotation is beneath his abilities.

There are players that spend time on dummies to get the big numbers so they can then post those big numbers. The type that posts their DPS and percentage after every fight and may even comment on carrying the group when truth be told they weren't helping the group much at all. With a few exceptions trials and dungeons do not have a DPS race. Those that do the numbers needed are not huge.

Again these types of players are not common but they are out there. As we tend to remember bad experiences more readily than good it can seem the problem is worse than it really is.

While it doesn’t excuse acting toxic, to some degree those players are correct. In my group, I’m fully aware which players are pulling the most damage, and for group efficiency I would not assign those few players the mechanics that take them out of the fight (such as Pinnacle Factotum upstairs group, or Lokkestiiz Tomb). If a raid lead does choose to waste their best players like this, it’s either a test, or they’re clueless about the group and optimization. Either way it’s not going to work out well long term.

Everyone needs to block or dodge mechanics, they’re responsible for staying alive.

That’s not to say players shouldn’t rez. Everyone needs to, whoever is closest, or not dealing with a mechanic at the time, needs to bring allies back from the dead. No amount of skill or DPS excuses ignoring rezzes. Now the other side of that coin, is that players who are not doing as well really should try to get to the rezzes first. I see this frequently in vAS pugs, where someone is doing 10k damage and standing on top of their dead friend, while someone else doing 50k has to run over and get the rez. This is irritating, there are DPS checks, things are going to enrage. If you’re contributing less damage than the person next to you, contribute more by taking care of things like rezzes, mechanics, and buff sets/skills.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on 18 May 2021 17:18
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kargen27 wrote: »
    . Not once did anyone suggest "100k players can’t learn or do real fight mechanics". That is something you tried to bring to the discussion. What the OP is saying is given the choice of high dummy parse or good awareness in dungeons/trials they will go with the good awareness.

Ironically, this is the only strawman argument I have come across in the thread. OP's post is a false dilemma, and it's getting further stretched by being strawmanned. Oh the humanities! Pun intended.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 18 May 2021 17:42
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like most politically charged memes, you are presenting a false dichotomy. The notion that being good at a dummy or being good in content are mutually exclusive abilities is complete nonsense.

Are there 100k DPS (per a trial dummy) that aren't great at actual content, sure, but they are pretty rare in my experience. Take a 100k DPS and a 50k DPS and my bet is the 100k DPS is better in actual content 99 times out of 100 (heck, 999 times out of 1,000). The frequency of their existence (low DPS that are great in real content) is put forth and exaggerated by low DPS, or people that simply don't want to put the time in on the dummy (who are typically low DPS).

Not every 100k DPS is a master of content. But if you cant pull high damage on a dummy, you aint doing it in real content either.

So me, I prefer to do both. I use the dummy to practice and master my rotation on a given class and gauge my overall potential compared to my peers and other classes/specs. I then bring said rotation into content and attempt to master that. The better I learn the content, the more closely my damage in said content reflects my damage on a dummy.
    Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on 18 May 2021 17:53