The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

So, one must complete the Companion quest for all 18 of one's characters????

HumbleThaumaturge
HumbleThaumaturge
✭✭✭✭
[5/17/2021, v7.0.4] One must complete the Companion quest for each of one's 18 characters? I finished the Companion Quest for Mirri and got her as an Ally under Collectables. I swapped characters and activated Mirri. Got quest without needing to find Note again (as mentioned in patch notes). But it would seem one must do the entire quest again . . . for each character. Well, at least it's not as long as those Psijic Guild quests! Still, I would prefer just having to do the Companion Quest on one character, then having Companion for the other characters.

Best Answer

• jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Grimlok_S wrote: »
    So if I'm understanding correctly,

The companion I unlock on Toon-A and Toon-B look identical but level up separately and require their own sets of gear, like horse training?
    I can't speak to 7.0.4, but that is not the case in previous. Their gear and levels remain, though costumes are character dependent.

If you unlock Mirri on Toon-A and get her up to level 5, for example, then you create Toon-B, do her initial quest on Toon-B, she will be level 5 on both Toon-A and Toon-B. If you then level her to level 6 with Toon-B, she will also be level 6 on Toon-A.

If on Toon-A you spec her out as a dual-dagger wielder, then when you log in as Toon-B, she will be a dual-dagger wielder.

7.0.3 (fixed in 7.0.4) was supposed to restrict Toon-B from being able to summon Mirri until Toon-B did her initial quest.

Answer ✓
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you wish to use that companion, yes. I'm not sure the reasoning behind this, other than to prevent abuse; if there's a glitch on launch day, everyone could conceivably get the companion for every character in about 5 mins. Making us re-do the quest for every character won't prevent abuse completely, but at least makes it more difficult.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe that was changed in 7.0.3.

"Bastian and Mirri's introduction quest will now be automatically granted if the collectible is already owned, when activated on a character who has not completed the associated quest."

I'm not seeing where that changed in 7.0.4, unless I'm missing it.
    Edited by VaranisArano on 17 May 2021 18:15
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

"Bastian and Mirri's introduction quest will now be automatically granted if the collectible is already owned, when activated on a character who has not completed the associated quest."

Quest is GRANTED - but you still must COMPLETE it on that character. If you don't own Blackwood, cannot be completed.
  • HumbleThaumaturge
    HumbleThaumaturge
    ✭✭✭✭

What that statement in the patch notes means is: You automatically get the Quest if you previously completed the Companion quest on another character. That is: You get the quest to START the Companion quest (again), without needing to find the Note first. It does not mean that you get credit for the completing the quest.

When I played PTS today [v7.0.4], I completed the Companion quest on first EU character (not a Template character). I then swapped to another EU character (also not a Template character) and activated the Companion. I did not get the Companion; instead, I got the Quest, with a quest-marker on the map to find Mirri. When I talked to Mirri, she started the Companion quest. So, looks like one is required to complete that entire quest for each of one's characters.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What that statement in the patch notes means is: You automatically get the Quest if you previously completed the Companion quest on another character. That is: You get the quest to START the Companion quest (again), without needing to find the Note first. It does not mean that you get credit for the completing the quest.

When I played PTS today [v7.0.4], I completed the Companion quest on first EU character (not a Template character). I then swapped to another EU character (also not a Template character) and activated the Companion. I did not get the Companion; instead, I got the Quest, with a quest-marker on the map to find Mirri. When I talked to Mirri, she started the Companion quest. So, looks like one is required to complete that entire quest for each of one's characters.

Okay, thanks for clarifying.
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The companion I unlock on Toon-A and Toon-B look identical but level up separately and require their own sets of gear, like horse training?

Wasn't interested in this system to begin with, but that's gonna be a hard pass from me.
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • HumbleThaumaturge
    HumbleThaumaturge
    ✭✭✭✭

Wasn't interested in this system to begin with, but that's gonna be a hard pass from me.

Don't know from personal experience yet to know if Companion level and gear changes with characters. I just discovered that the Companion quest must be repeated. If I get the time, I will test if there Companion level and gear might be different among one's 18 characters.
  • Elydros2015
    Elydros2015
    ✭✭

When I was on the PTS about a week ago, no - think of it like you have just one Mirri and one Bastian for all of your characters. Each of your characters can use the same companion, including equipped gear and slotted abilities, AND companion level.

So when you eventually have a maxed-out Mirri for example, you can summon that same Mirri companion on a lowbie alt if you want. Although you'll need to do her "unlock" quest first, for each of your characters. The downside is that if you want Mirri in heal spec for one character, and ranged DPS spec on another, you'd need to change out her gear and skills for each character. For this reason I am planning to spec Mirri as healer and Bastian as DPS, and just leave them that way. Then I can use whichever one I want for each of my characters.
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    Just re-tested with 7.0.4.

Toon-A( L50+3600 template) had L20 Mirri, created Toon-B, attempted to summon Mirri and got the quest instead. Did the quest then summoned Mirri and got a L20 Mirri on my L5 Toon-B.

EDIT: I am sure it can be done at a lower level, but between the tutorial, overland travel, and the mobs you have to fight, Toon-B was L5 when I finished the quest. And L20 Mirri did not appear to be much different from L1 Mirri when used by my L5 Toon-B
    Edited by jwellsub17_ESO2 on 18 May 2021 14:30
  • Grimlok_S
    Grimlok_S
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's relieving to hear. Thanks for clarifying!
    Light Attack Hero

Class context
    Stamplar
    StamDK
    Stamsorc
    MagDK
    StamMAGStamden
    Magplar
    Stam NB
    Bomb NB
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    are u saying you need to regrind mage guild, fighther guild and undaunted on all 18 characters? that progression on their skills is character based and not account wide?
  • Phaedryn
    Phaedryn
    ✭✭✭

Quest is GRANTED - but you still must COMPLETE it on that character. If you don't own Blackwood, cannot be completed.

If you don't own Blackwood, I am not sure why this topic would even be of interest to you.

I really don't see the issue here. Only toons that have completed the quest can pull out a companion. Makes sens. If you only want them on on toon, then only do the quest on one. If you want them across the board, do it on all toons.
    Edited by Phaedryn on 18 May 2021 19:00
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    stefj68 wrote: »
    are u saying you need to regrind mage guild, fighther guild and undaunted on all 18 characters? that progression on their skills is character based and not account wide?
    No, they are account wide.

• Duplomancer
    Duplomancer
    ✭✭✭
    This sounds way better than having to run Main Quest for Skill Points, or farming skyshards on many characters.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they are account wide.

lol. We wish.
  • jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    lol. We wish.
    Huh???
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Phaedryn wrote: »

If you don't own Blackwood, I am not sure why this topic would even be of interest to you.

I really don't see the issue here. Only toons that have completed the quest can pull out a companion. Makes sens. If you only want them on on toon, then only do the quest on one. If you want them across the board, do it on all toons.

*emphasis mine* Oh sure, like all those people who rushed to make Necromancers when Elsweyr release was bugged, or everyone who STILL has the antiquities skill line after Greymoor release was bugged. They didn't own the content, but it was granted due to a bug. Sure, no one who didn't purchase cares... /s HUGE /s

@Phaedryn I pre-ordered first day it was available. But I don't mind paying to support the game. You're apparently new or living under a rock to think people who don't purchase content don't care.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol. We wish.
    Huh???

We do have to re-grind the mages guild, fighters guild, and undaunted on each character. It’s not account-wide. (Besides being able to unlock them through the crown store.)
    We wish it was account-wide.
  • Kiyakotari
    Kiyakotari
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish that they could have more than one "Companion Outfit," at least, since they apparently wear the same outfit no matter which of my characters is pulling them along for the ride. Put another notch on the "making this less appealing due to cosmetic customizations loss" scorecard.
  • stefj68
    stefj68
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    let me reask this differently, do i have to grind mage, fighter and undaunted for both companion, on all my 18 characters to unlock those skills line, or just once per companion?

• jwellsub17_ESO2
    jwellsub17_ESO2
    ✭✭✭
    We do have to re-grind the mages guild, fighters guild, and undaunted on each character. It’s not account-wide. (Besides being able to unlock them through the crown store.)
    Incorrect. Once you unlock the Mages guild on one character, it is unlocked on all of your characters. The companion class levels are the same one. The only thing you have to do on each character is unlock the companions themselves.
    Kiyakotari wrote:
    I wish that they could have more than one "Companion Outfit," at least, since they apparently wear the same outfit no matter which of my characters is pulling them along for the ride.
    Companions, by default, have one outfit per character. And in fact if you outfit a companion on Toon-A and then switch to Toon-B, unless you have set an outfit with Toon-B, you companion will be wearing their base armor.
    stefj68 wrote:
    let me reask this differently, do i have to grind mage, fighter and undaunted for both companion, on all my 18 characters to unlock those skills line, or just once per companion?
    From my testing, no you do have to do it per companion, but not per character. Again, this is based on my own testing. Toon-A has a L20 Mirri with maxed Mage's guild. Toon-B completed Mirri's initial companion quest, summoned Mirri and she was max level, including Mage's guild. Further Toon-A has a L5 Bastian with L2 Mage's Guild. Toon-B did Bastian's inital companion quest and summoned a L5 Bastian with L2 Mage's Guild.

EDIT: Please note that I have not tried leveling up L5 Bastian's Mage's Guild on Toon-B yet, but looking at the way companions level, it would make zero sense for them to handle leveling existing skill lines differently. So yes, this means it is possible to get a maxed Mage's Guild in a single day by playing multiple characters.
    Edited by jwellsub17_ESO2 on 19 May 2021 12:04
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Incorrect. Once you unlock the Mages guild on one character, it is unlocked on all of your characters. The companion class levels are the same one. The only thing you have to do on each character is unlock the companions themselves.

Yeah, I thought the poster was talking about our characters, not our companions. I was super confused by that and thought they were trying to make a point I wasn’t grasping. But they’ve added a new comment recently to explain they were talking about companions. So, no. We do not have to grind out that stuff on every character for the companions. Just once.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

This is how companions work:

You have do the quest for each of your chars to get a companion. The quest takes about 15 mins or so. After enough companions are in play, you'll just do quests for the companion (or companions) you want that char to have.

Leveling is per companion, and not per char like mounts are. If you take Bastian out out with your sorc and get him armor while grind him to level 5. Then you switch and have Bastian run around with your healer. Everything him gained while with your sorc, he starts with and progresses on with your healer. The companion leveling is account wide, per companion.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • Rasoma
    Rasoma
    ✭✭✭
    Having to unlock access to use companions on each character makes sense - especially as previously you were able to pull out your companion in the "tutorial" itself which did cause some issues.
    @Rasoma - member since January 8th 2014
  • HumbleThaumaturge
    HumbleThaumaturge
    ✭✭✭✭
    [5/17/2021, v7.0.4] One must complete the Companion quest for each of one's 18 characters? I finished the Companion Quest for Mirri and got her as an Ally under Collectables. I swapped characters and activated Mirri. Got quest without needing to find Note again (as mentioned in patch notes). But it would seem one must do the entire quest again . . . for each character. Well, at least it's not as long as those Psijic Guild quests! Still, I would prefer just having to do the Companion Quest on one character, then having Companion for the other characters.

So, of course, the answer to my original question is: Yes, one MUST complete (re-run) the Companion quest(s) for each of one's characters. If one has completed the Companion quest on one (the first) character, then if another character tries to use the Companion (under Collectible, Ally), then the Companion will not spawn, but one's character will get the quest to talk to the Companion, which initiates the Companion quest.

After your (2nd, 3rd, 4th, . . . 18th) character finishes the Companion quest, the Companion is now available for your other character. The Companion does NOT need to be re-leveled. That is, the Campanion's level is the same for all you characters. For example, I was running my EU characters on the test server (PTS, PC, v7.0.4) and got Mirri as a companion on my first character. Mirri and I completed some content, including a two Public Dungeons, the daily Fighters Guild quest, the daily Mages Guild quest, and the daily Undaunted guild quest. I then swapped to a different character. I tried to spawn Mirri: she did not spawn, but I got the quest to speak to her, which started her Companion quest. When I completed the quest, Mirri would spawn and be my Companion. She had the same Level as she did with my first character. And she had the skill trees for Fighters Guild, Mages Guild, and Undaunted, with the same level for each as on the first character. So, apparently, Companion level and skill trees are Account wide. (Thankfully.)