The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Q: Class Build Advisor got me confused, cannot unlock skills further without non-advised skills.

Eternicus
Eternicus
Soul Shriven
Hello,
I'm playing a healer sorcerer, for it's build I'm using the skill advisor. It worked fine untill some of the (upgradable) healer skills required an X amount of levels from one of the other 2 specializations. Unfortunately the advisor does not tell me how to invest into these 2 others specs, it just says the amount of level. So now I'm unsure how to proceed using the advisor.
Is there another way to level these specs, witout investing skill points in them? I thought the advisor would tell me what to unlock.
Or do I have to put at least 1 point (or even multiple furter ingame?) in the other 2 specs, no matter which skill?

Best Answer

• Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My advice: Don't fret too much about it. When you are still leveling up, skill points keep coming left and right. If you go though zone quests and do some exploration (i.e. nab some skyshards and do group events in public dungeons) you will quite soon have more skill points than you really have any use. Crafting is a skill point sink of course, but if you are just starting out, it really isn't worth the points yet. If you do aim to become a master crafter on that character, then focus on learning the traits first.Just keep something under study for all the crafts and worry about leveling the skills later. There really is no point in wasting time trying to develop crafting skills on a non-max level character. Once you hit cp160 and start dropping end game items, the experience you get from deconning that stuff, is so much faster that trying to level up crafts organically seems silly in comparison.

As for skill points: Each base game zone has a guest line that awards 5 or so skill points, the Skyshards in those zones give you another five and you get one from the group challenge in the public dungeon in each zone. You get 64 just from leveling by the time you get to level 50. And then there are all the points you can make from DLC zones, and PVP ranks and completing group dungeons.

Here's a lsit taken from UESPwiki
    Leveling your character, up to level 50 (64 Skill Points)
    Completing quests in the main quest (11 Skill Points)
    Completing quest chains in the Dominion, Covenant, Pact, and Coldharbour main storylines (49 Skill Points)
    Completing the Imperial CityImperial City storyline (1 Skill Point)
    Completing the Reforging OrsiniumOrsinium storyline (3 Skill Points)
    Completing the Divine Power, Morag Tong, and House Telvanni quest chains on VvardenfellMorrowind (3 Skill Points)
    Completing the SummersetSummerset storyline (3 Skill Points)
    Completing the ElsweyrElsweyr storyline (3 Skill Points)
    Completing the GreymoorGreymoor storyline (3 Skill Points)
    Reading the Folium Discognitum (Optional quest reward from Mages Guild quest chain) (2 Skill Points)
    Completing the primary quest chain of the Thieves GuildThieves Guild storyline (6 Skill Points)
    Completing the primary quest chain of the Dark BrotherhoodDark Brotherhood storyline (8 Skill Points)
    Completing the primary quest chain of the Clockwork CityClockwork City storyline (8 Skill Points)
    Completing the primary quest chain of the MurkmireMurkmire storyline (7 Skill Points)
    Completing the primary quest chain of the DragonholdDragonhold storyline (9 Skill Points)
    Playing or skipping the tutorial quest in the current chapter: Broken BondsMorrowind, The Mind TrapSummerset, or Bright Moons, Warm SandsElsweyr (1 Skill Point - only one of these quests can be completed by any given character, and those created prior to Morrowind cannot get any of them.)
    Absorbing skyshards (113 Skill Points, 44 more including all DLCsCrown Store (up to Dragonhold) and ChaptersMorrowindSummersetElsweyrGreymoor)
    Ranking up in the Alliance War (50 Skill Points)
    Completing group challenges in public dungeons (16 Skill Points, 10 more including OrsiniumOrsinium, VvardenfellMorrowind, SummersetSummerset, ElsweyrElsweyr and GreymoorGreymoor)
    Completing the story quest in group dungeons (24 Skill Points, one for each completed dungeon storyline quest in the base game, 16 more including those added by Imperial CityImperial City, Shadows of the HistShadows of the Hist, Horns of the ReachHorns of the Reach, Dragon BonesDragon Bones, WolfhunterWolfhunter, WrathstoneWrathstone, ScalebreakerScalebreaker, and HarrowstormHarrowstorm)
    Completing OrsiniumOrsinium Maelstrom Arena (1 Skill Point)

By the end you will have more than enough points to get all abilities and passives of your class, as well as all the crafting stuff and all the ancillary skills like thieves guild or psijic stuff. And also fully max out all armor and several weapons. In essence, you will have way more stuff unlocked via skill points that you can use at the same time.

And re-speccing... Yeah it gets expensive. But only in relative terms. 30k gold is a lot at the start, but it's chump change by the time you are past the 810cp cap. You can easily make 100k in a day if you put your mind to it, and that is without doing any trading. If you partake in that, then making a million each week becomes routine.

So yeah, don't fret too much about it.

And also, ignore the skill advisor. It's kinda pointless. Just pick stuff that sound fun to you and learn what they do by using them. Then later, once you are fully leveled take a re-think about your own play style and go re-spec things to better suit your needs. Heck, you will even pick a freebie re-spec scroll along the way via leveling rewards, so it wont even cost yo anything.
    Answer ✓
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you be more specific on which "2 others specs", @Eternicus? What skills or passives are you trying to get?

For reference, here's a link to the UESP:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Eldritch_Mender
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eternicus wrote: »
    Hello,
    I'm playing a healer sorcerer, for it's build I'm using the skill advisor. It worked fine untill some of the (upgradable) healer skills required an X amount of levels from one of the other 2 specializations. Unfortunately the advisor does not tell me how to invest into these 2 others specs, it just says the amount of level. So now I'm unsure how to proceed using the advisor.
    Is there another way to level these specs, witout investing skill points in them? I thought the advisor would tell me what to unlock.
    Or do I have to put at least 1 point (or even multiple furter ingame?) in the other 2 specs, no matter which skill?

That depends on the skill line itself.
    Weapon and armor. Skill lines can be levelled without investing skill points into them, the rest of the skill lines cannot.
    There are a ton skill points easily available in game, I would recommend picking up as many as possible and unlocking everything relevant to your build.
    If you have a skill that's locked in a skill line, unlock a previous but accessible skill until. You gain enough levels in that skill line.
    Later on you can refund unwanted skills for a small gold fee at many major cities so don't worry about picking up skills you won't be using later on.
  • Eternicus
    Eternicus
    Soul Shriven
    Can you be more specific on which "2 others specs", @Eternicus? What skills or passives are you trying to get?

For reference, here's a link to the UESP:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Eldritch_Mender

Ugh so sorry, I only clicked on the skill icons (on the upper left) of the advisor screen to level up my skils, not realizing they were restoration staff skills. Well now I know why my dps is so bad haha. I don't have points invested in any sorc class trait line so far.
    Sorry, I used to play alot of WoW years ago and that game has 3 specs for a class, and nothing more. I have to get used to ESO's trait line mechanic.
  • Eternicus
    Eternicus
    Soul Shriven
    Firstmep wrote: »
    Eternicus wrote: »
    Hello,

That depends on the skill line itself.
    Weapon and armor. Skill lines can be levelled without investing skill points into them, the rest of the skill lines cannot.
    There are a ton skill points easily available in game, I would recommend picking up as many as possible and unlocking everything relevant to your build.
    If you have a skill that's locked in a skill line, unlock a previous but accessible skill until. You gain enough levels in that skill line.
    Later on you can refund unwanted skills for a small gold fee at many major cities so don't worry about picking up skills you won't be using later on.

Ah I read about respec but I thought it would cost a huge amount of gold (50 gold per point) at higher levels.
    But does that mean I can pick the skillls myself for refund? Or is it a full wipe of my toons build?

I'm a bit confused. I made a toon for each class: 2 tanks (necro/dragon knight) and 4 healers (other classes). I'd prefer to play DPS while leveling my toons but I thought it would cost me tons of gold for a respec at maximum level. Or, lots of $$ for respec items from the Crown Store.

Now I wonder, how long does it take (for a casual player) to gather the amount of gold needed for a full respec, when that toon is playing max level quests/dailies. My toons are about lvl 7 now, so each gold coin is precious :) I have no idea how much gold I earn for completing a max level quest.
  • lozq
    lozq
    ✭✭✭
    I went running around in the Imperial City Sewers for a few hours and left with a full inventory - sold it for ~25k gold to a merchant.

Gold is cheap :)
    Quinnine | Tankblade | PC NA
  • Eternicus
    Eternicus
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks for the information everyone! After reading this I know I'll be fine with respeccing. I play 7 toons, each has one profession to master. It's going to take awhile to level them but I already spent loads of hours in the starting zone (Solitude and surroundings) and I still love it to just walk around, loot stuff and do some quests.
    I purchased a 1year Plus subscription so I can loot all the crafting materials I find, and have enough time to slowly level my professions with those crafting quests :)