The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Aedric Spear - Light/Heavy Armor?

jones52j
jones52j
From what I gather Aedric Spear skills are considered spells(that you use in melee). With that in mind should a pure damage dealer Aedric Spear go Light Armor over Heavy Armor?
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A pure damage dealer should go light armour, but given the primary damage ability (Puncturing Strikes) is melee (although its range is actually further than it looks) going full light would probably get you pulverised. Better to go for a mixture of light and heavy.

You could possibly base your DPS on Aurora Javelin instead, though I have never tried it myself. Puncturing Strikes is likely to be your best bet for damage and magicka efficiency however.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on 4 April 2014 04:35
  • Nox_Aeterna
    Nox_Aeterna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well , if what you want is magicka damage , then it could be handy.

I go 5 light / 2 heavy on my templar , like you , this skill tree is the one i use the most.
    "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
    -Hanlon's razor
  • jones52j
    jones52j
    I'm currently 5/5 Heavy, thought being up front the Heavy Armor would be useful
  • jones52j
    jones52j
    A pure damage dealer should go light armour, but given the primary damage ability (Puncturing Strikes) is melee (although its range is actually further than it looks) going full light would probably get you pulverised. Better to go for a mixture of light and heavy.

You could possibly base your DPS on Aurora Javelin instead, though I have never tried it myself. Puncturing Strikes is likely to be your best bet for damage and magicka efficiency however.

Puncturing still shows its Magic based so I assume its also a Spell
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jones52j wrote: »

Puncturing still shows its Magic based so I assume its also a Spell

My point is because Puncturing Strikes is a melee range ability going full light in melee range would probably get you killed in any hairy situation.
  • Chomag
    Chomag
    ✭✭✭
    Melee fighter + light armor = BAAAAAAAD!

Imo, go 5 heavy and 2 light (to get some magicka bonuses)
  • Qorvus
    Qorvus
    With my Templar I'm going 5 light/2 heavy (with the heavy being chest and legs for best armour value) plus 1H&S for added defence. Use the Pierce Armour morph of puncture to lower their spell defence and then smash them with puncturing strikes to lay some hurt on. Solar Flare is a nice one to throw into the mix too.
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No medium armor votes????? Guess medium armor needs a boost lol.

What armor you wear is really up to you weighing the pro's and con's of the armor.

If you have a more specific question about Heavy Armor or Light Armor or Medium Armor you can get better answers.

Light Armor is going to make your Magicka regen faster. Theres like a small % increase to Magicka crits.

Heavy Armor is going to simply make you more durable. But you can still focus on Magicka stat wise wearing Heavy Armor.

Take my character for example. Im a Templar who's main role in group setting will be Healing. I wear Heavy Armor that's stated for Magicka and all my level up stat points go into Stamina.

What this does for me is creates a balance. I have the Magicka needed to use my abilities. I have higher stamina to make my Restro Staff attack for more damage, and the Heavy Armor itself helps keep me alive cause a dead healer is a useless healer.

Nobody can tell you how to play that's up to you and theres many decisions to be made.
    Edited by Shaun98ca2 on 4 April 2014 07:09
  • Makarion
    Makarion
    ✭✭
    Chomag wrote: »

Imo, go 5 heavy and 2 light (to get some magicka bonuses)

Not necessarily. My main character is an Imperial Dragonknight tank in light armour, and that works just fine. Armour is consistently over the soft cap, and the reduced mana cost and extra spell resist is much appreciated.

Note: I team with a templar healer, and templars can provide an armour buff. Even without that, though, I self-buff well over the softcap. It does take a bit more care in gearing up, but any tank worth their salt pays attention to that. Don't ignore your glyphs - even low level glyphs (I think for level 10+ gear?) can give +90 armour apiece, and that helps (and still allows you to soft-cap max health as well).
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makarion wrote: »
    Chomag wrote: »

I team with a templar healer, and templars can provide an armour buff.

None of the Templar's skills can provide allies with an armour buff. The Resto staff however can.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on 4 April 2014 08:53
  • ogolobardesb16_ESO
    Makarion wrote: »
    Not necessarily. My main character is an Imperial Dragonknight tank in light armour, and that works just fine. Armour is consistently over the soft cap, and the reduced mana cost and extra spell resist is much appreciated.

Dragonknights are the class with armor buffs in the game, so it's completly viable to use them as tanks/DD with light armor because of that. Templars can't do that with so much success.

My main is a DPS Templar, heavily based on aedric spear skills. So i use a lot of magika, but even while wearing heavy armor i don't have "many" magika problems. But that can be easily solved by getting some magicka enchants on my armor.
  • jones52j
    jones52j
    Maybe im a little new but i see a lot of people say 5/2 on armor. Do you not get benefits beyond 5 since counting all pieces its 7 in total.
  • yogarogue
    yogarogue
    ✭✭
    Ok... so why does anyone ever consider heavy armor in the first place for a Templar dps build? You don't need the mitigation. it offers no beneficial passives what so ever... Why even consider it??
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You consider it for durability. Helps you to stay alive. Plus if your using a melee weapon Heavy Armor helps increase the damage.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yogarogue wrote: »
    Ok... so why does anyone ever consider heavy armor in the first place for a Templar dps build? You don't need the mitigation. it offers no beneficial passives what so ever... Why even consider it??

You're not doing any damage if you're dead.

In case you haven't experienced it, aggro in ESO works differently to traditional trinity MMOs. The Tank can hold at most one or two mobs, which is great against bosses but against massed mobs (90% of the dungeon) the DPS and healer must fend for themselves. If you don't have some survivability you will be pulverised, especially if you're melee DPS (as an Aedric Spear-based Templar would be).
  • Shaun98ca2
    Shaun98ca2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You either need a way to survive or be REALLY good at the game. How you survive is up to you. If you think your survival is dependent on the "group healer" your gonna find yourself and group dead fast.
    Healers have very limited healing they can do. Keeping a tank up is hard work in this game. And the dps getting creamed in combat wont help the group.

Finishing a dungeon is truly a group effort in this game there is no carrying.
  • yogarogue
    yogarogue
    ✭✭
    Why would the devs develop a game that has the idea and model of a tank and healer... But there be no efficient way in doing either of the two things?? That doesn't make sense.
    yogarogue wrote: »

You're not doing any damage if you're dead.

In case you haven't experienced it, aggro in ESO works differently to traditional trinity MMOs. The Tank can hold at most one or two mobs, which is great against bosses but against massed mobs (90% of the dungeon) the DPS and healer must fend for themselves. If you don't have some survivability you will be pulverised, especially if you're melee DPS (as an Aedric Spear-based Templar would be).

Maybe you're not playing with the right tanks. It may seem very difficult but it is possible to hold group agro. Builds are a little more complex and take a bit more time to figure out.. this is the first day of launch you know.

In this game where there is weakness there sure as hell is something to make up for it. There is balance in the possibilities you have within the builds you create. I don't see any inherent value in wearing 5 piece heavy armor. If I were to wear Medium armor, I would have more stamina to block, more choices for how many skills I would like to use in a rotation. WHICH DIRECTLY effects my survivability. and the very exact same thing could be said for choosing light armor. Its about finding balance.. If you immediately say to yourself that I will die because im not wearing heavy armor. then you will.. And you wont spend any time theorizing on how to find a solution.

• yogarogue
    yogarogue
    ✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    You consider it for durability. Helps you to stay alive. Plus if your using a melee weapon Heavy Armor helps increase the damage.

the increase in your dmg output through heavy armor is miniscule compared to that of medium armor passives which if I were to choose increase in stamina alone would be far outweigh the benefits of a small percentage power bonus.. Stamina means more breathing room in your rotation. It also means get this MORE SURVIVABILITY through blocking...Oh my god did he say that?? I can choose a less mitigating option and still have survivability? that doesn't make sense...

• yogarogue
    yogarogue
    ✭✭
    ^^^and the same could be said for light armor passives as well.
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    Shaun98ca2 wrote: »
    No medium armor votes????? Guess medium armor needs a boost lol.

What armor you wear is really up to you weighing the pro's and con's of the armor.

If you have a more specific question about Heavy Armor or Light Armor or Medium Armor you can get better answers.

Light Armor is going to make your Magicka regen faster. Theres like a small % increase to Magicka crits.

Heavy Armor is going to simply make you more durable. But you can still focus on Magicka stat wise wearing Heavy Armor.

Take my character for example. Im a Templar who's main role in group setting will be Healing. I wear Heavy Armor that's stated for Magicka and all my level up stat points go into Stamina.

What this does for me is creates a balance. I have the Magicka needed to use my abilities. I have higher stamina to make my Restro Staff attack for more damage, and the Heavy Armor itself helps keep me alive cause a dead healer is a useless healer.

Nobody can tell you how to play that's up to you and theres many decisions to be made.
    Not really...

Light gives you more magicka regen yes but the important parts are that it gives a massive reduction in magicka costs(aedric spear is all magicka). It also doesn't give a small increase, it gives 10%, which is huge.

Heavy doesn't give you the cost reduction, heavy armor also pushes too far into overcharge to be very beneficial for armor.

Medium armor is for physical attacks which aedric spear abilities are not.
  • 3psilon
    3psilon
    I played aedric spear + bow so I can pick a full light armor set and keep the mobs distant.
    I used the meele strikes as a kind of finnish.
    The bow abilities are for dumping the stamina. Just not to waste it. Maybe use some dots!
    Works pretty well and I'm looking forward to play this build.
    Only thing I have to admit is: u die pretty fast at meele range. So keep on moving :disagree:
    Edited by 3psilon on 5 April 2014 09:33