The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Rite of passage morph: Remembrance or Practiced incantation?

cliveklgb14_ESO
cliveklgb14_ESO
✭✭✭
Rite of passage morph: Remembrance or Practiced incantation? Which do people prefer?
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    Practiced... basically because it heals more and you are typically recovering damage already done so the damage reduction doesn't usually get the best use. Ideally though barrier is the better choice than either of them.
  • ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Practiced Incantation. The healing is so great your allies are almost immortal while they're inside the area, so extra damage reduction isn't that helpful. Better to have a longer duration.

Barrier costs 100 more Ultimate points than RoP. Given that the purpose of defensive Ultis is an "oh crap" button, and RoP works perfectly fine for that most of the time, I'd take being able to use the oh crap button more often over a slightly more reliable oh crap button.

Barrier is more versatile of course (it isn't channelled, it can be precast) but from what I ask of a defensive Ulti RoP is more useful.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on 5 April 2014 08:20
  • Drekor
    Drekor
    ✭✭
    Practiced Incantation. The healing is so great your allies are almost immortal while they're inside the area, so extra damage reduction isn't that helpful. Better to have a longer duration.

Barrier costs 100 more Ultimate points than RoP. Given that the purpose of defensive Ultis is an "oh crap" button, and RoP works perfectly fine for that most of the time, I'd take being able to use the oh crap button more often over a slightly more reliable oh crap button.

Barrier is more versatile of course (it isn't channelled, it can be precast) but from what I ask of a defensive Ulti RoP is more useful.
    Problem I have with RoP in those tight situations is that you are now standing still for 6 seconds, granted you have incredibly armor and resists with Light Weaver unless you are also packing immovable you can easily be interrupted completing wasting the ult. People also need to remain in the are for 6s to get it's full effect. With an upgraded barrier it can restore ultimate(at least it did in beta) when it fades mitigating the cost disparity greatly and has none of those downsides.

• ThatHappyCat
    ThatHappyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming a four-man PvE group, you should be able to avoid putting yourself in a position to be interrupted if you know the boss, and the Ulti restore from Replenishing Barrier would be at most 12.

Remaining in the area isn't a bad thing, it's obvious and people are generally smart enough to know to stay inside. Also consider that Practiced Incantation heals for considerably more than Barrier protects, especially with Focused Healing.

PvP is a different matter obviously. You'd never pack RoP as a roaming ganker, and zerging... well, there's really very little to zerging, anything goes. Theoretically Replenishing Barrier would be nuts in a zerg (never tried it myself), but Healing Springs' magicka restore only applies when healing people in the same group so perhaps Replenishing Barrier has the same limitation?

But a lot of it is down to preference. I prefer weaker skills that I can use often over stronger skills that I can't use often. Bonus points if said weaker skill isn't much weaker, but can be used considerably more often.
    Edited by ThatHappyCat on 5 April 2014 08:38