The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sneak?

RogueWatchmenub17_ESO
So I'm only level 7, but playing a Nightblade Sneak attacks seems under powered. Even using Shadow Cloak and Teleport Strike the damage is doubled at best, does the damage increase as a Nightblade levels? It just feels lackluster to me, the class feels like it should have a larger burst when coming out of a stealth attack.

Also do I need the sneak icon to be fully closed and attack from the rear as well? I think comparing it to a rogue in WoW is whats throwing me off, like many people I'm used to a different game and I know new things take adapting but between WoW and Skyrim I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong.
  • Bretentious
    Bretentious
    ✭✭
    To get the full benefit of a sneak attack the eye does need to be fully closed, which pretty much requires that you approach from the rear. Attacking with Teleport Strike in this manner can do a fair chunk of damage. I think it's worthwhile, but it is a bit slower admittedly.
  • Teloran
    Teloran
    ✭✭✭
    Sneak attacks will only work from the rear. I'm afraid sneak never improves by more then 10% or so from the Assassination passives.

Edit: I think the eye can be slightly open but you definitely need to attack from behind.
    Edited by Teloran on 4 April 2014 09:55
  • RogueWatchmenub17_ESO
    Makes "Playing from the shadows" somewhat underwhelming doesn't it.
  • Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    not in the least... if you manage a power attack on an unaware target you litteraly get a free knockdown... several skill in the shadow line also are improved by striking while stealthed. Stealth deals tremendous damage when done efficiently even without the passive. Playing a khajiit or a wood elf also may help your stealth
    One bow to darken the sun
    One bow to unite the clans
    One bow to conquer the world and in darkness drown it...

- Prophecy of the tyranny of the sun
  • Chirru
    Chirru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any more damage and I can hear the call for the NB to be overpowered. If they change something it should be (in my opinion) the silly visible sneak animation. Somehow I feel rather silly to be sneaking with everyone in the same faction seeing the Char sneaking.

• Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    Kyubi_3002b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    ikr... its hilarous because im invisible but everyone in my faction sees me... well time to pretend to be supercatwomen 8D
    Edited by Kyubi_3002b16_ESO on 4 April 2014 15:02
    One bow to darken the sun
    One bow to unite the clans
    One bow to conquer the world and in darkness drown it...

- Prophecy of the tyranny of the sun
  • LunaRae
    LunaRae
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how much burst you're looking for but I can take opponents to 1/4 HP within 1 second of knocking them down from a sneak attack, followed by death shortly after. Some in-game mechanics are unintuitive and therefore catch people off-guard when they expect certain behaviours from the game. Like class abilities based off of magic damage instead of weapon damage.

Successful sneaks into free knockdown are too good to pass up.

Oh, and on your point about the eye retina - it does NOT need to be fully closed. As long as no enemies are alerted (i.e. eye is fully open and it starts blinking red indicating you are seen) you get the same sneak bonus and being completely invisible. And you need to be from behind! Even if you crouch, go invis and hit someone in the face it doesn't count.
    Edited by LunaRae on 4 April 2014 16:12
    Stands-Strong-As-Snow ~ Argonian Templar DC NA V14
    Ytheri ~ Argonian Nightblade EP Thornblade NA V14
    Heals-All-Colours ~ Argonian Templar EP Thornblade NA V14
    Stands-In-Still-Waters~ Argonian Sorcerer EP Thornblade NA V2
  • Guppet
    Guppet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you do extra damage from stealth with a bow? If so does that need to be from behind too?
  • bakejoshb14_ESO
    Veiled Strike is your friend when sneaking. VS also works when Consuming Darkness is active.
  • fieldmarshall3neb18_ESO
    Guppet wrote: »
    Do you do extra damage from stealth with a bow? If so does that need to be from behind too?
    I would like to know aswell.
    Would waste me tons of time if i use a sneak opener on every mob, only to find out that its not doing anything useful.
  • RogueWatchmenub17_ESO
    It might scale better with gear, right now I'm thinking once I lose that initial surprise unless I shadow cloak I can't get a sneak bonus. On PvE try toons or a player with a solid healer this seems to gimp in a long running battle