The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

additional character slots

amapola76
amapola76
✭✭✭✭✭
It's been so many years since we've been given new character slots that I have forgotten how this works. They'll be available as soon as the chapter downloads, right?
Edited by ZOS_Phoenix on June 2, 2023 3:37AM
  • Treeshka
    Treeshka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They will give one character slot free with the chapter release. You can also buy one more from Crown Store with the new patch if i remember right.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should show up when you log in after patching.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When logging in after the patch you should already have one ready for creation. The other one is a crown store purchase
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume the free one will appear on both servers, while the Crown Store one will have to be acquired separately for each server.

Is the free one dependent on purchase of the Chapter, and the bought one purely a base game change available in the Crown Store to everyone?
  • ZOS_Phoenix
    Greetings,

After review we have decided to move this thread to a category we think is more appropriate for this topic (Players Helping Players, as the OP was requesting clarification from the community regarding new character slots).

Thank you for your understanding.
    Staff Post
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strangely, when I logged in post-update, the free character slot was not available to me until immediately after I purchased the additional new slot.

I.e., I was maxed out on character slots prior to the chapter launch. When I logged in after updating post-release, I was still at 18/18 available, until I purchased the slot from the Crown Store, at which point I immediately went from 18/18 to 18/20. Which is kind of sketchy.
  • IsharaMeradin
    IsharaMeradin
    ✭✭✭✭
    If there is a 'free' character slot, I have not found it. Is it tied to purchase of the chapter? Or does one truly need to purchase a slot in the crown store in order to get it as happened to @amapola76 ?

I was hoping to finally have 10 free character slots in order to have one of each playable race. If it will unlock on chapter purchase, I can wait till I get the chapter on discount. If it unlocks with the purchase of another character slot instead, I guess I won't be getting it.
    PC-NA / PC-EU
    ID @IsharaMeradin
    Characters NA
    Verin Jenet Eshava - Dark Elf Warden (main)
    Nerissa Valin - Imperial Necromancer (secondary)
    Lugsa-Lota-Stuph - Argonian Sorcerer
    Leanne Martin - Breton Templar
    Latash Gra-Ushaba - Orc Dragonknight
    Ishara Merádin - Redguard Nightblade
    Arylina Loreal - High Elf Sorcerer
    Sasha al'Therin - Nord Necromancer
    Paula Roseróbloom - Wood Elf Warden
    Ja'Linga - Khajiit Arcanist

Characters EU
    Shallan Veil - Wood Elf Warden

ID @IsharaMeradin-Epic
    Characters NA
    Ja'Sassy-Daro - Khajiit Nightblade
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @IsharaMeradin

Yes, it's tied to chapter purchase
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If there is a 'free' character slot, I have not found it. Is it tied to purchase of the chapter? Or does one truly need to purchase a slot in the crown store in order to get it as happened to @amapola76 ?

I was hoping to finally have 10 free character slots in order to have one of each playable race. If it will unlock on chapter purchase, I can wait till I get the chapter on discount. If it unlocks with the purchase of another character slot instead, I guess I won't be getting it.

To be clear, I had already purchased and downloaded the new chapter, and STILL had to buy a new character slot to get the free one. So it wasn't either/or, it was both/and. :|

Seems a bit misleading to characterize it as a "free" slot when it's more like a gift with purchase. Or, in this case, two separate purchases.
  • Braffin
    Braffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    amapola76 wrote: »

To be clear, I had already purchased and downloaded the new chapter, and STILL had to buy a new character slot to get the free one. So it wasn't either/or, it was both/and. :|

Seems a bit misleading to characterize it as a "free" slot when it's more like a gift with purchase. Or, in this case, two separate purchases.

I have no idea why you didn't recieve the "free" (I agree here) slot and had to purchase another one to get it unlocked, but I got mine without any additional purchases.

Only action necessary was to log into any existing toon and then switch back to character screen. (Not the best design choice btw)
  • amapola76
    amapola76
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Braffin wrote: »
    amapola76 wrote: »

I have no idea why you didn't recieve the "free" (I agree here) slot and had to purchase another one to get it unlocked, but I got mine without any additional purchases.

Only action necessary was to log into any existing toon and then switch back to character screen. (Not the best design choice btw)

Well, maybe mine was just a glitch, then. I'm not too bothered by it, myself, since I would have purchased the second one anyway. But I was annoyed on behalf of other folks, so hopefully this isn't too common of an issue.