The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

U37 block(ish) bug

Dr_Con
Dr_Con
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Explanation: Currently when I run out of resources while blocking, specifically with stamina, I will be unable to block when switching to my ice staff. The one way to resume blocking is by roll dodging. It's happened more than several times today to be more than a nuisance-

Specifically it's happened several times on the second to last(the nix-ox) and last boss(the bulimic matron) fights in Bal Sunnar as well as the last fight in Scrivener's Hall (fire cone) while each boss was using their extremely long channeled attacks.

I also had it happen in veteran Cloudrest from blocking in Crushing Darkness (which drains resources rapidly if you block/kite it), so this bug isn't simply due to those dungeons.

My suspicion is that either no check exists to see if there are resources to block does not reapply your ability to block, or the check to allow you to reapply block is broken. The most reliable way to get my ability to block to return is to roll dodge.

solution: A check needs to exist to see when you have resources equal to or greater than your minimum block cost when you try to reapply it after it has been taken away due to the block drop balance mechanic/feature not allowing block to be reapplied.

TLDR for players: Tanks should be very aware of their resources when they are blocking in this patch, if you let it reach 0 you may lose the ability to block until you roll dodge, which might not be possible due to your roll dodge potentially requiring the same resource you are blocking with
Edited by Dr_Con on 14 March 2023 05:39
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stinkyremy wrote: »
    Dr_Con wrote: »
    Explanation: Currently when I run out of resources while blocking, specifically with stamina, I will be unable to block when switching to my ice staff. The one way to resume blocking is by roll dodging. It's happened more than several times today to be more than a nuisance-

Specifically it's happened several times on the second to last(the nix-ox) and last boss(the bulimic matron) fights in Bal Sunnar as well as the last fight in Scrivener's Hall (fire cone) while each boss was using their extremely long channeled attacks.

I also had it happen in veteran Cloudrest from blocking in Crushing Darkness (which drains resources rapidly if you block/kite it), so this bug isn't simply due to those dungeons.

My suspicion is that either no check exists to see if there are resources to block does not reapply your ability to block, or the check to allow you to reapply block is broken. The most reliable way to get my ability to block to return is to roll dodge.

solution: A check needs to exist to see when you have resources equal to or greater than your minimum block cost when you try to reapply it after it has been taken away due to the block drop balance mechanic/feature not allowing block to be reapplied.

TLDR for players: Tanks should be very aware of their resources when they are blocking in this patch, if you let it reach 0 you may lose the ability to block until you roll dodge, which might not be possible due to your roll dodge potentially requiring the same resource you are blocking with

[snip]

tanking without synergies or heals in pugs can push you into unique resource management situations + what possessed you to write this? this is a bug report, i shouldn't have to defend the report against your diatribe on the fundamentals of tanking and resource management when people can naturally fall into being impacted by this bug.

[Edited for Quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Phoenix on 14 March 2023 17:13
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it definitely sounds like a bug, probably with the way that it swaps resources from stam to mag to block with the ice staff, like its not registering that properly until you dodge roll

it could be something of a side effect of enabling block through bar swap
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a big deal, @ZOS_Kevin

This game can’t take another Block bug after the Thanksgiving - New Years fiasco.

Tons of people dropped their Subscription last bug,
    If this makes it to console in a few weeks, there will be a lot of players leaving, and not coming back.
    Edited by The_Titan_Tim on 15 March 2023 07:34
  • TheGremlyn
    TheGremlyn
    ✭✭
    I ran into a similar issue this patch.

I've mostly been progging new dungeon HMs so that's where I've been experiencing it. Ozezan boss fight is one that brings it out but Kovan Giryon will as well, and possibly Roksa the Warped. Both can be a bit more resource intensive for me with the chance for a lot of adds to spawn and having to move a bit more. Usually I will block more on front with SnB and stam, and if I see I've run out of stam and can't block I'll swap to my ice staff (yes I like the passive to block with mag so I can balance, it's my play style and cup o' tea). Usually I keep block pressed even though I know I'm not actively blocking due to no resources.

I'm used to, prior to the patch, having to drop block and re-block once I get to my ice staff. However, I've noticed I've just been unable to re-block no matter what. In a panic I dodge roll as I've gotten a bit of stam back and then I can block again on my ice staff or SnB if I got back to it and have stam again.

Since we can now maintain block during bar swaps this patch (thank you!) that might be a factor in this bug.

I don't recall if I've been on my frost staff and have run out of mag to block and had to go back to SnB and block with stam.
    Just Call Me Stalwart
    PC NA
    Tank First, Healer Second, DPS for Fun
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is this getting buried? This doesn’t just effect Tanks, it effects everyone that plays ESO.

When barswap retained block and Voltaic was adjusted, who flicked the wrong switch?
    Edited by The_Titan_Tim on 15 March 2023 23:35
  • Darrell9090
    Darrell9090
    ✭✭✭

This game can’t take another Block bug after the Thanksgiving - New Years fiasco.

If this makes it to console in a few weeks, there will be a lot of players leaving, and not coming back.
    They seem afraid to touch block and bash too much recently ever sense those bugs. Reason why the heavy attack weaving bug returned when they reverted the latch making heavy attacks for tanks harder after they bash as it resets that heavy attack wind up to 0. That bug was introduced about a year ago they attempted that fix which lead to that chaos. I am still trying to get them to fix that so tanking sustainability can be back to normal. Hopefully this issue makes them also look back into fox that as well.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They seem afraid to touch block and bash too much recently ever sense those bugs. Reason why the heavy attack weaving bug returned when they reverted the latch making heavy attacks for tanks harder after they bash as it resets that heavy attack wind up to 0. That bug was introduced about a year ago they attempted that fix which lead to that chaos. I am still trying to get them to fix that so tanking sustainability can be back to normal. Hopefully this issue makes them also look back into fox that as well.

Core combat abilities should not be experiencing bugs in a game that has been out for almost a decade.

When one class ability is having a problem, that’s extremely annoying, when every class is having a core fundamental gameplay mechanic completely disabled by a bug, that is a massive coding error.

Most companies roll-back updates that break their software, and have QA departments assure the quality of patches prior.
  • The_Titan_Tim
    The_Titan_Tim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Friendly reminder, this is still a problem.

This can not make it to Console.
  • CrashTest
    CrashTest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Come on ZOS. Come on.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi All, just wanted to note that the team is aware of this issue with block and working on a fix. Once we have more information, we will update everyone.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • TheGremlyn
    TheGremlyn
    ✭✭
    A guild member shared a video that seems to suggest the issue will be for tanks and players that use tri focus passive with one bar being frost staff and the other something else. It also sounds like it wouldn't impact dual frost staff builds as you're only using mag to block.

It wouldn't necessarily be just tanks as a healer with tri focus with resto and frost staff combo might encounter the issue too if they run out of mag or stam while blocking. It wouldn't have occurred to me as all my tanks use tri focus and all my staff wielding dps and healers have the passive.

I suppose I could either not use frost staff back bar or remove the passive but I'm less certain of that because I build and play around using mag and stam for blocking. Hopefully this gets resolved quickly as it would be quite expensive and time consuming in game to change my gear and stuff and learn another playstyle for a bug.
    Just Call Me Stalwart
    PC NA
    Tank First, Healer Second, DPS for Fun