The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Is ZOS sundowning ESO?

• DMuehlhausen
    DMuehlhausen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    "A 'content creator' said..." is the new "I saw it on Facebook!" :D
    How is this a question? I mean honestly...they have over 15M accounts across all platforms. I'd assume at least half of those pay monthly. That's nearly 100M / month the game brings in just from accounts. They bring in 10s of Millions more from crate / crown purchases. I wouldn't be surprised to find out this game brings in 250M+ a month.

Remember, this is a b2p game without a required sub. Unless they say "current" or "active" accounts, they're likely counting every single one ever created. I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of those 15M accounts haven't logged in months/years.

That might be true, but a lot probably still keep the accounts paying. I didn't play for like 2 years and never turned mine off. Knowing I'd come back to heaping pile of crowns when I did eventually come back to the game. Even say they are off an not subbing. How much do you think crown crates make? I drop at min 39.99$/month on that 5500 pack. If even half the remaining players spend that much and I know people that spend literally thousands a month to get all the radiant mounts. You're still talking what near 100M/month in revenue. What company in their right mind would shut down a game making them 100m/month. Like it just isn't going to happen.

The problem is, and this is a generational issue really, so many people think shows like Keeping up with the Kardashians and other reality shows are real. They think content creators actually know what they are talking about. Most creators just throw out ridiculous takes just to get clicks and views. Everyone flocks there hears doom and gloom cause they talked "to an insider" once and believe it.

This game has at least another decade in, and probably planned and budgeted for if you look at the map. Unless something major happens that's the minimum run time for this game.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rasoma wrote: »
    "Content" creators will say what they want to drive clicks and views - do not believe a lot of the hype that they say cause it simply ain't true.

This game has the worse content creators. They will say anything to drive up clicks as was said. I stopped watching their crap a long time ago. I try to steer new players away from watching them. If they need help it's better to ask a friend or try to make friends in the game that has the same play style as them. Do not listen to anything these guys have to say. They claim to like the game but all they do is hate on it.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    How is this a question? I mean honestly...they have over 15M accounts across all platforms. I'd assume at least half of those pay monthly. That's nearly 100M / month the game brings in just from accounts. They bring in 10s of Millions more from crate / crown purchases. I wouldn't be surprised to find out this game brings in 250M+ a month.

Remember, this is a b2p game without a required sub. Unless they say "current" or "active" accounts, they're likely counting every single one ever created. I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of those 15M accounts haven't logged in months/years.

In recent years I have only seen games announce accounts created and refrain from reporting active players. The "active player" numbers I have seen were estimates made by third-party guesses based on what little information they could find.

I think you overestimate how many still play. With FF14 having 24 million registered players as of 2021 most of those, well over half, no longer play the game. That is 24 million registered players, including free trial players. This would be the same for ESO, except for ESO has a few million fewer registered players than FF 14.

• SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

In recent years I have only seen games announce accounts created and refrain from reporting active players. The "active player" numbers I have seen were estimates made by third-party guesses based on what little information they could find.

I think you overestimate how many still play. With FF14 having 24 million registered players as of 2021 most of those, well over half, no longer play the game. That is 24 million registered players, including free trial players. This would be the same for ESO, except for ESO has a few million fewer registered players than FF 14.

They may be underestimating for all we know.

What we see in game is the biggest indicator of how many are still playing, and I see other players everywhere I go.
    PCNA
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is the new game a star wars game? Do you think it would have multi-classing and updated combat?
    When can we get a hint.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

What we see in game is the biggest indicator of how many are still playing, and I see other players everywhere I go.

True as the game seems very active. But that just goes to demonstrate even further concerns we should have about the credibility of some streamers.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

True as the game seems very active. But that just goes to demonstrate even further concerns we should have about the credibility of some streamers.

I agree.
    PCNA
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    JakelDK wrote: »
    Recently I have been hearing ESO contentcreators talking about Zos "sundowning" ESO and moving on to different projects. I really hope thats not the case. Im all for them expanding their list of games, but i hope they keep ESO alive. Anyone out there with more insight/informed predictions who can put my gamer heart at ease XD ?
    All the best.

We've talked about this before, but we have no intention of "sundowning" ESO at this time. There are plenty of stories left to tell and the team is eager to work on those. We do have another project in the works, which is public information. But ESO has no plans to slow down.

You say this as the amount of content we get per year just got cut in half.
  • ProudMary
    ProudMary
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has been scaling back their commitment to Cyrodiil for at least four years now. Every year the pop caps get lower, performance gets a little worse (with a brief exception when new servers installed for PC NA, but it didn't last), and more and more players stop playing in Cyrodiil. It seems very much like this has been an intentional divestment into PvP by ZOS. That's why PvP players have been asking for a number of years now if ZOS is sunsetting ESO.
    Tandor wrote: »
    I'd love to know of any MMO that has introduced a new class while sunsetting (sundowning if you prefer) the game at the same time. It's palpable nonsense.
    Edited by ProudMary on 5 February 2023 17:13
  • tvdeath
    tvdeath
    Soul Shriven
    Arato wrote: »
    Recently I have been hearing ESO contentcreators talking about Zos "sundowning" ESO and moving on to different projects. I really hope thats not the case. Im all for them expanding their list of games, but i hope they keep ESO alive. Anyone out there with more insight/informed predictions who can put my gamer heart at ease XD ?
    All the best.

We've talked about this before, but we have no intention of "sundowning" ESO at this time. There are plenty of stories left to tell and the team is eager to work on those. We do have another project in the works, which is public information. But ESO has no plans to slow down.

yeah, for new repeatable content. meaning they want people to keep playing for longer
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tvdeath wrote: »
    All the best.

yeah, for new repeatable content. meaning they want people to keep playing for longer

The thing I see most on this forum is people not wanting to repeat content. They must have skyshards and thereby skill points, along with guild skill lines in the Crown Store so they don't to repeat content. They must have account-wide achievements so they don't have to repeat content, they must have class change tokens so they don't have to repeat content, they must have account-wide mount training so they don't have to repeat content. What is this repeatable content that people want, or ZOS think they want, in order for them to keep playing for longer?
    Edited by Tandor on 6 February 2023 00:21
  • DirtyDeeds765
    DirtyDeeds765
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, it's all foolishness and propaganda.

If Runescape can still be alive and well 25 plus years later, ESO will be around for DECADES to come. It's an Elder Scrolls game, the most popular RPG in the world - neither the fans or the developers would ever let ESO go.

Matter of fact, when Elder Scrolls 6 drops in a few years, ESO will have the biggest influx of players the game has ever seen BY FAR. ESO's population will likely DOUBLE.

@DirtyDeeds765
  • tvdeath
    tvdeath
    Soul Shriven
    All the best.

The thing I see most on this forum is people not wanting to repeat content. They must have skyshards and thereby skill points, along with guild skill lines in the Crown Store so they don't to repeat content. They must have account-wide achievements so they don't have to repeat content, they must have class change tokens so they don't have to repeat content, they must have account-wide mount training so they don't have to repeat content. What is this repeatable content that people want, or ZOS think they want, in order for them to keep playing for longer?

whether they want it or not, it still shows that zos is planning new content. them listening to players is a different topic. zos wouldnt be creating new content theyre excited about (even if people dont like it) if they were planning on quitting.
  • fizzylu
    fizzylu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matter of fact, when Elder Scrolls 6 drops in a few years, ESO will have the biggest influx of players the game has ever seen BY FAR. ESO's population will likely DOUBLE.

Sadly I find it a bit hard to think this way and am worried ESO will take a big hit once TES 6 releases because seriously; if some TES fans aren't already playing ESO, I doubt they are going to after TES 6 and I can't imagine it will draw in many new players as well. TES 6 is going to be a new gen game, meanwhile ESO plays like it's older than it is. Unless Zenimax works to improve performance, graphics, and the games overall capabilities in the next few years.... but they've already stated they are unable to do that because of the games engine, servers, and their not wanting to stop support for old gen consoles. If anything, I imagine more people leaving ESO for TES 6 and the wonderful mod community it'll probably grow (if and when it ever releases).
    And Runescape is an entirely different situation. There is still to this day no other MMO or single player game like it even 25+ years later. ESO on the other hand doesn't have much going for it outside of the fact that it's lore and world are TES based. Zenimax and their questionable handling of the game kind of assures that.... again, sadly.
  • Mascen
    Mascen
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the best.

No offense but "AT THIS TIME" doesnt really sound all that good. Like I understand every project doesn't last forever, but I'm hoping to get at least another 5-8 years out of this.
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are releasing a new chapter and a new class. Why whould anyone assume ESO is being "sundowned?"
    ProudMary wrote: »
    ZOS has been scaling back their commitment to Cyrodiil for at least four years now. Every year the pop caps get lower, performance gets a little worse (with a brief exception when new servers installed for PC NA, but it didn't last), and more and more players stop playing in Cyrodiil. It seems very much like this has been an intentional divestment into PvP by ZOS. That's why PvP players have been asking for a number of years now if ZOS is sunsetting ESO.
    I'd love to know of any MMO that has introduced a new class while sunsetting (sundowning if you prefer) the game at the same time. It's palpable nonsense.

TBH, I am enjoying Cyro again. Performance is way better from when I quit last time, and I don't think there are super OP builds right now (at least compared to before).
    Edited by HowlKimchi on 7 February 2023 02:08
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb
    ✭✭✭
    It's called silent quitting
  • JoeCapricorn
    JoeCapricorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I am curious about, and I was even thinking of posting a thread about it until I saw this thread which was essentially about the same thing...

There may come a day when the servers are turned off. It might not be for another 25 years, maybe even 50.

When that day comes, in the interests of game preservation, how would Elder Scrolls Online continue? As in, when the servers are shut down, what new forms might it take? Could it be transformed into something that people run small-time nostalgia servers with, or even modified to be a single player RPG or something with an "offline mode"? I can imagine that modders would be able to turn it into something enduring beyond its own servers.

In 50 years, I will probably still be playing Doom. Heck, I've been playing that for nearly 30 already. It's a game that will never get old. Skyrim is another game that won't ever get old. I can see Elder Scrolls Online not only doing a tie-in for The Elder Scrolls VI, but also The Elder Scrolls VII. But Doom will never die. There won't ever be a future where Doom is unplayable. It's practically been installed on everything that has some sort of color display. Yet I've only ever paid for Doom maybe twice. My dad got the original Doom, and I've been using the IWADs of those for decades, and I think I got classic Doom again with the BFG edition (along with Doom 3 on Steam). But with Elder Scrolls Online, I try not to dwell on the fact that it is the one game that I've put more money into than any other. Yearly ESO+ and new chapters all add up. As long as the stories are interesting and the game is playable I don't think I'll stop (though I can see myself taking breaks, such as when Starfield releases, as I just won't have time for ESO for a bit). I don't like seeing a future where one day, none of that can be revisited. I won't be able to boot up a classic Windows 11 PC with a middling 5.0 ghz processor, or its equivalent emulator on a five million qubit slipstream warp-drive quantum reality simulator running Windows 24, and play Elder Scrolls Online after the servers are shuttered.

Instead, it would be cool if future "old school retro gamers" are running ESO servers that might have populations of a few hundred and we're all really old geezers that still enjoy ESO.

tl;dr version: ESO should continue forever. Even after the servers eventually are turned off, which hopefully isn't for a few decades, there should be some way of continuation - as it's a piece of gaming history that should never be allowed to die.

I simp for vampire lords and Glemyos Wildhorn
  • Mascen
    Mascen
    ✭✭✭✭
    One thing I am curious about, and I was even thinking of posting a thread about it until I saw this thread which was essentially about the same thing...

There may come a day when the servers are turned off. It might not be for another 25 years, maybe even 50.

When that day comes, in the interests of game preservation, how would Elder Scrolls Online continue? As in, when the servers are shut down, what new forms might it take? Could it be transformed into something that people run small-time nostalgia servers with, or even modified to be a single player RPG or something with an "offline mode"? I can imagine that modders would be able to turn it into something enduring beyond its own servers.

In 50 years, I will probably still be playing Doom. Heck, I've been playing that for nearly 30 already. It's a game that will never get old. Skyrim is another game that won't ever get old. I can see Elder Scrolls Online not only doing a tie-in for The Elder Scrolls VI, but also The Elder Scrolls VII. But Doom will never die. There won't ever be a future where Doom is unplayable. It's practically been installed on everything that has some sort of color display. Yet I've only ever paid for Doom maybe twice. My dad got the original Doom, and I've been using the IWADs of those for decades, and I think I got classic Doom again with the BFG edition (along with Doom 3 on Steam). But with Elder Scrolls Online, I try not to dwell on the fact that it is the one game that I've put more money into than any other. Yearly ESO+ and new chapters all add up. As long as the stories are interesting and the game is playable I don't think I'll stop (though I can see myself taking breaks, such as when Starfield releases, as I just won't have time for ESO for a bit). I don't like seeing a future where one day, none of that can be revisited. I won't be able to boot up a classic Windows 11 PC with a middling 5.0 ghz processor, or its equivalent emulator on a five million qubit slipstream warp-drive quantum reality simulator running Windows 24, and play Elder Scrolls Online after the servers are shuttered.

Instead, it would be cool if future "old school retro gamers" are running ESO servers that might have populations of a few hundred and we're all really old geezers that still enjoy ESO.

tl;dr version: ESO should continue forever. Even after the servers eventually are turned off, which hopefully isn't for a few decades, there should be some way of continuation - as it's a piece of gaming history that should never be allowed to die.

The thing about Doom and skyrim though is that they're both single player and as such have a general start and end per se.

MMOS dont work like that because you need other players not just for world bosses or dungeons, but for the player economy. What would you do if you wanted XYZ item you normally got through a guild trader on a legacy server? The money you used to make by farming an item and selling it to another player on a guild trader? This is why MMO's dont age as well as single player titles if you put them in a time capsule because it lacks the social experience. Maybe one day when AI gets advanced enough, you could put a number of them on a closed nostalgia server and they could imitate some of the social aspects, but it wont be the same thing.
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the best.

Is sundowning the new sunsetting? :-)
  • JakelDK
    JakelDK
    ✭✭✭
    All the best.

Is sundowning the new sunsetting? :-)

Lol I meant sunsetting :) (english is not my main language and it comes across sometimes) sundowning is actually a condition of confusion some dementia patients experience at dusk and not related to the lifespan of a videogame... well i guess you could apply it to udate 36 ;-) Jk ZOS
    Edited by JakelDK on 6 February 2023 05:52
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go back to referencing DCUO. They came out in 2011, and here they are, still going 12 years later... and planning to add graphic updates for the PS5! Their player base has dropped substantially over the years, and yet, just a year or so ago Daybreak claimed it was their highest revenue game. If a niche game like DCUO can continue to be a high revenue game while having only a couple thousand active players, that tells me ESO has many many more years left.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think that ZOS is struggling with this same question.

Personally, I repeat content that was worth doing the first time. If it is worth doing it once, there is no reason why I can't come back to it. If it was *** the first time, I won't be back. When ZOS does things like AwA, it diminishes this. As a result, I am on my final pass through the game, repeating it one last time while it still matters. Hopefully, before ZOS has time to destroy the game even further in this regard.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That might be true, but a lot probably still keep the accounts paying. I didn't play for like 2 years and never turned mine off. Knowing I'd come back to heaping pile of crowns when I did eventually come back to the game. Even say they are off an not subbing. How much do you think crown crates make? I drop at min 39.99$/month on that 5500 pack. If even half the remaining players spend that much and I know people that spend literally thousands a month to get all the radiant mounts. You're still talking what near 100M/month in revenue. What company in their right mind would shut down a game making them 100m/month. Like it just isn't going to happen.

The problem is, and this is a generational issue really, so many people think shows like Keeping up with the Kardashians and other reality shows are real. They think content creators actually know what they are talking about. Most creators just throw out ridiculous takes just to get clicks and views. Everyone flocks there hears doom and gloom cause they talked "to an insider" once and believe it.

This game has at least another decade in, and probably planned and budgeted for if you look at the map. Unless something major happens that's the minimum run time for this game.

This right here. You see it all the time in the comment section of certain social media and viewing platforms, on videos unrelated to eso. People reacting to some videos as though they are real and genuine, without seeming to realize that they are very much staged and scripted- designed from top to bottom to get the reaction they get.

ESO content creators do what they do to get views. A lot of sound and fury that ultimately amounts to nothing.

There are a select few, very grounded, very kindhearted streamers whom I would consider trusting if they were worried, and IF they had concrete evidence. But these few are not fear mongering for views and never have.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • UnabashedlyHonest
    UnabashedlyHonest
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ProudMary wrote: »

Exactly. ZOS has been sun setting Cyrodiil PvP for many years now. That's how this topic keeps propping up on the forums.
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All the best.

For me it isn't a blanket not wanting to repeat content. I don't mind repeating content when it isn't for the sake of grind. Somethings like having to go through mount training or the excessive time it takes to level crafting do not enhance game play after you've been through it already. The ZOS solution is they'll sell you a way around it at exorbitant prices which coincidentally doesn't enhance game play either. In fact I'm sure the only reason the grind for these remain is it drives business in the cash shop. AwA has also taken away incentives for me to bother with alts. I can longer see what character needs what achievement which has made a mess of tracking a characters progress through the game.

Personally I don't mind rerunning quest lines or dungeons. It would be nice if there were more outcome changing choices in the quest lines as it would enhance the replay value of alts. I would also like to see more variability in dungeon and delves just to mix things up. I'm not getting my hopes up but the endless dungeon might fill that role.

In the end I think for many players it isn't not wanting repeat content but they don't want to repeat meaningless content. Busy work is never fun but I don't expect to see major changes in this area as it seems to be one of the underlying pillars of ESO's monetization scheme.
    Edited by Alinhbo_Tyaka on 6 February 2023 16:12
  • Giraffon
    Giraffon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I know is that I'm currently having more fun playing Skyrim. What does that even mean?
    Giraffon - Beta Lizard - For the Pact!
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giraffon wrote: »
    All I know is that I'm currently having more fun playing Skyrim. What does that even mean?

That you are enjoying an immersive single player game?
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Bragi/Howl Kimchi