The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance.
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Should companions be allowed to wear headwear?

Rex-Umbra
Rex-Umbra
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Should we be able to fully customize our companions appearance by equipping headwear?
Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.

Should companions be allowed to wear headwear? 182 votes

Yes
84%
Tasvorichessalavakia_ESOGalenStxJarndyceGlassHalfFullkypranb14_ESOopajWhiteCoatSyndromeAelorinZigoSidDanikatRasomafreespiritzariaflizomicaAektannphaneub17_ESOSheezabeastSirCritical 154 votes
No
4%
ElsonsoSilverBrideReverblillybitSpacemanSpiff1AVaelhamghastleyKallykat 8 votes
Indifferent
10%
ThorntongueDarcyMardinHamfastTandorDMuehlhausenkargen27Parasaurolophusrobwolf666SerasWhipagelonestarjaws343RedBranchAtrael7DreamyLuAzuraFanLady_GaladhielDP99Thee_Cheshire_CatTaSheenjoergino 20 votes
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yep. I understand they might not want you to mask their personality, considering they're hand-crafted; but that doesn't hold up when you've got 10,000 Bastians running around.
  • Syldras
    Syldras
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Full customization (including skins, polymorphs) - no. They should still be recognizable as who they are. Helmets - are part of clothing, so yes, of course.
    @Syldras | PC | EU
    The forceful expression of will gives true honor to the Ancestors.
    Sarayn Andrethi, Telvanni mage (Main)
    Darvasa Andrethi, his "I'm NOT a Necromancer!" sister
    Malacar Sunavarlas, Altmer Ayleid vampire
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes.

If they're able to wear heavy armour (even if it's a costume) and go into melee range they should be able to wear a helmet, otherwise it looks silly.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • SerasWhip
    SerasWhip
    ✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    Yes. Only if it stays as a choice.
  • Naftal
    Naftal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    They should be able to wear all cosmetics including polymorphs.
  • Rasoma
    Rasoma
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    My Bastian is a tank as I main as squishy sorcerer - he'd really like a bit of metal to protect his face and brain please.
    @Rasoma - member since January 8th 2014
  • GBllt
    GBllt
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Of course yes, I never understood why it was the only non-customizable part
    I would like to have exactly same style, like a « squad style ». But I cant cause of this
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    By the way, is there an execution hood in this game? Like the ones worn by captives at Abandoned Shack in Skyrim. Just asking...
    Edited by rpa on 2 February 2023 12:53
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Helmets, silence, skins, polymorphs - I would use them all. A real skeleton warrior for my necros. A Dremora for my dark and daedric sorc.
    PC EU
  • Maitsukas
    Maitsukas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rpa wrote: »
    By the way, is there an execution hood in this game? Like the ones worn by captives at Abandoned Shack in Skyrim. Just asking...

The Deep Elf Executioner's Hood from the New Moon Crates.

mgnte2heol8s.png
    PC-EU @maitsukas

Posting the weekly Infinite Archive vendor updates.

Also trying out new Main Quests, Companions, ToT decks, Events and Styles on PTS.
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, it should. I'd also like to be able to equip jewelry, adornments, makeup, and different hairstyles to my companions.

They are so recognizable at this point that a pair of earrings worn to match something nice isn't going to turn them into strangers suddenly.

I'd like the full utility skins, tattoos and polymorphs would give, but I suppose that's going too far.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • Miaura
    Miaura
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes please! Also diadems, jewelry and hair collectibles, tattoos, and why not skins as well!
    And like others have said in this thread and before, headwear/other customization masking their unique personality is not really an issue when there is a clone army of thousands of identical companions on the loose. I want them to wear headwear to give them more uniqueness .
    I myself might be having them wear mostly open or semi open faced helms or hoods or circlets, but I see no problem with closed helms either, same as skins, everyone can easily see they are "Player so and so`s companion" and not a player anyway.
    Having more customization would make looking at other peoples companions a lot more fun too !
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    But it will never happen.
  • Ugrak
    Ugrak
    ✭✭✭
    Yes
    Absolutely.

Fashion is the real endgame.
  • TaSheen
    TaSheen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indifferent
    I don't use companions so I don't care one way or the other, though I do think this particular restriction needs to go away for those who do want to further customize their companions.

But even in books, the heroes make mistakes, and there isn't always a happy ending.

PC NA, PC EU (non steam)- three accounts, many alts....
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, and not because I want to hide who my companion is, anymore than I want to hide my own character who I’ve put time and money into crafting, but sometimes headgear fits a look or are just fun! I want Mirri to finally join me in wearing the Witch’s hat next festival! :lol:
  • opalcity
    opalcity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Maitsukas wrote: »

mgnte2heol8s.png

Its in the endeavour store, too!
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, it was a silly decision otherwise. We have a million of the same faces running around all the time - especially when you look at places like Dragon fights. This is SO immersion breaking.
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • derkaiserliche
    derkaiserliche
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yea i would really like that. If they wont allow it, they could at least give us the opportunity to change beards/hair and so on..
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    By No, I mean “not without a way to tell a companion from a player”, that doesn’t make me read their label. There are features of the system that encourage matching outfits, and too many player/companion combos would become identical twins.
  • chessalavakia_ESO
    chessalavakia_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    ghastley wrote: »
    By No, I mean “not without a way to tell a companion from a player”, that doesn’t make me read their label. There are features of the system that encourage matching outfits, and too many player/companion combos would become identical twins.

What type of system would you like for that?

For example, right now if you are on a Warden and you have Nature's Grasp or one of it's morphs on your bar looking at a player makes them appear blue and looking at a companion appears green.

Would that be something you'd like or would you want something more blatant that didn't require actually focusing on the character?
  • JumboWheat01
    JumboWheat01
    ✭✭
    Yes
    I'm always down for more fashion options. Fashion Scrolls is the true endgame, after all, and having a whole slot being ignored for companions, who are still a part of Fashion Scrolls, feels off.

Sure, you won't be able to tell at a quicky glance outside of Ember and our future argonian companion which one is which, but for the life of me I can't think of a time where that would matter. It's not like they can follow you into Cyrodiil, the Imperial City or Battlegrounds.
    Edited by JumboWheat01 on 2 February 2023 20:27
    Echoes from the west, great hammers will fall...
    Under high rocks all will answer the call...
    Bring us your arms, pariahs of yore...
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No
    I wouldn't want to use use it, but would feel obligated to do so because of the armor value and buff it provides. They would not provide a "hide helm" so I would be stuck. That is just the way things work out around here. I'd rather not if I can't hide the helm.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Carcamongus
    Carcamongus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Yes, they should. Additionally, skins, different hairstyles, facial adornments, personalities and polymorphs should be allowed as well. One might say some of these might change the companions into something they aren't. However, this is a game of the roleplaying variety and adding to the characters' stories is only natural for many players, so why not enable more customization? Say, someone dared Ember to adventure in the nude, but she went a bit too far and now she's a skelly, or Bastian suffered an unfortunate cheese-related accident and the only way to save him was to give him a factotum's body. Besides, I want Mirri to be able to wear a "Tharn2E584" hat, dammit!
    Imperial DK and Necro tank. PC/NA
    "Nothing is so bad that it can't get any worse." (Brazilian saying)
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Syldras wrote: »
    Full customization (including skins, polymorphs) - no. They should still be recognizable as who they are. Helmets - are part of clothing, so yes, of course.

I agree with this 100%.

I don't think we should be able to change their race, gender, tats, polymorph them, etc.

But a helmet is very reasonable. They are in battle. Also, Isobel is a knight. Ofc she should be able to wear a helmet.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on 2 February 2023 21:53
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Don't want all options available for them. Like no skins, polymorphs, changing their body markings, etc. They are characters not mannequins.

But it makes absolutely no sense that we can't make them wear helmets, hoods, hats etc. We can put them in ridiculous costumes, but Isobel can't wear proper knight armour that includes a helmet?
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes
    Maitsukas wrote: »

mgnte2heol8s.png

I ment the plain black bag with no eye holes worn by executionee, but I definitely would prefer that one too over another clone face.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    They should get their own versions of the monster sets
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Elsonso wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to use use it, but would feel obligated to do so because of the armor value and buff it provides. They would not provide a "hide helm" so I would be stuck. That is just the way things work out around here. I'd rather not if I can't hide the helm.

I have to admit, my answer would totally change if they didn't provide a "hide helm" option. I always provide headgear for my companion but wouldn't want to look at it myself.
  • ZigoSid
    ZigoSid
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yes and simply hide it when we talk to them, shouldn't be too hard to do.