The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Best "Year Long Adventure" Chapter Main Villian?

• KingArthasMenethil
    KingArthasMenethil
    ✭✭✭
    Rada Al-Saran (Dark Heart of Skyrim)
    Rada has the better quests and build.
    Kaalgrontiid suffers from Northern Elsweyr culminating in in him going full Team Rocket at the end of it as he blasts off again.
    EU 2000+ CP
    Characters
    Gaius Sulla 50 Cyrodiil DragonKnight.
    Livia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Nightblade.
    Divayth-Fyr 50 Dunmer Sorcerer.
    Ragnar Shatter-Shield 50 Nord Dragonknight.
    Selvia Sulla 50 Cyrodiil Templar.
    Attrebus Mede 50 Cyrodiil Warden.
    Zirath Urivith 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
    Dame Edwinna Gelas 50 Breton Dragonknight.
    Agrippina Tharn 50 Cyrodiil Necromancer.
    Bedal Dren 50 Dunmer Dragonknight.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord Baconator (Legacy of the Bretons)
    Judging by the potential that all main antagonists had, their agency and their level of individual power, the Ascendant Lord has to be the best villain.

He is no god, no immortal vampire half god or a legendary dragon almost turned god. Just a mere mortal with plan.
    Yet he created a major crisis and almost toppled the world.
    read, think and write.In that order.
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kalgrontiid (Season of the Dragon)
    Kal, better than the other 3 combined.
    Edited by Lady_Galadhiel on 4 February 2023 09:21
    Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.Lewis Carroll
  • Varana
    Varana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Adding to what I wrote earlier:

I didn't choose Kaalgrontiid because like for others, he didn't stand out enough of the bunch of dragons working together. So as a villain character, he was not memorable enough, compared to Rada al-Saran or the otherwise quite forgettable Lord Bacon.

That said, the story of Elsweyr+Dragonhold was the best of the three, by quite some margin. But when it comes to characters, its protagonists were the highlight of the show (Abnur Tharn, Cadwell, Zaji and Caska, even Khamira had her moments), not so much the antagonists. So for this poll, the dragons unfortunately lose out.
    Edited by Varana on 4 February 2023 13:51
  • Vrienda
    Vrienda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going through Elsweyr again currently and Kaal leaves much to be desired.

Rada I remember being somewhat ineresting but ultimately a disappointment.

Dagon just continued being Elder Scrolls satan with his actual lore depth completely ignored. So I hate his portrayal.

The Ascendent Lord... Honestly the single most disappointing villain I can remember. He ruined Galen which was an otherwise really enjoyable DLC.

And just because I feel like it...

The Daedric triad, while a good storyline, were awful villains. I hated Nocturnal already but now I just view her as the most idiotic evil and weak Daedric prince of the lot. I mod out having to sell your soul to her in Skyrim and keep the Skeleton Key every time now. It also makes the Dunmer worshipping Mephala even more baffling to me, which is why I always tend to play as faithful to the Tribunal with my Dunmer. I just can't get into the 'reclaimations' headspace.

Now Orsinium? That had a main antagonist I enjoyed. The best of the lot. It has 0 effect on lore or the deeper parts of Elder Scrolls lore and is exactly what an ESO villain should be.
    Desperate for Roleplaying servers to bring open world non-organised RP to Elder Scrolls Online. Please ZOS.
  • JD2013
    JD2013
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Voted Rada. At least we got to have a proper discussion with him.

But King Kurog from Orsinium is the best villain so far in ESO.
    Sweetrolls for all!

Christophe Mottierre - Breton Templar with his own whole darn estate! Templar Houses are so 2015. EU DC

PC Beta Tester January 2014

Elder of The Black
    Order of Sithis
    The Runners

@TamrielTraverse - For Tamriel related Twitter shenanigans!
    https://tamrieltraveller.wordpress.com/

Crafting bag OP! ZOS nerf pls!
  • Shihp00
    Shihp00
    ✭✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »

and Angof

• Sidereum
    Sidereum
    ✭✭✭
    Among the year-long stories, Rada Al-Saran.
    The whole Dark Heart of Skyrim story touched me a lot. The ending had me crying.

However, if the question was about chapters in general, then Summerset.
    PC-EU | @Sidereum
    Favorite race: Imperial
    Favorite class: Warden
    Favorite alliance: Daggerfall Covenant
    Favorite zone: Gold Coast
    Favorite chapter: Blackwood
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lord Baconator (Legacy of the Bretons)
    I think I like morally ambiguous shadow-villain type characters more than dualistic embodiment of evil type characters.
    I do wish Lord Baconator and Rada Al-Saran Wrap were fleshed out a little more though.
  • AvalonRanger
    AvalonRanger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wished to play quest of human days memory of the Rada Al-Saran.
    He was very interesting character. Hope, we'll meet deep created character like him
    in the new DLC of this year.
    My playing time Mon-Friday UTC13:00-16:00 [PC-NA] CP over2000 now.
    I have [1Tough tank] [1StamSorc-DD] [1Necro-DD] [1Real Healer]
    But, I'm Tank main player. Recently I'm doing Healer.

2023/12/21
    By the way...Dungeon-Meshi(One of Famous Japanese fantasy story comic book) got finale...
    Good-bye "King of Monster Eater".
  • DP99
    DP99
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mehrunes Dagon (Gates of Oblivion)
    Dagon, because I'd pick any of the Deadric Princes over any of the others any day of the week!
  • NotaDaedraWorshipper
    NotaDaedraWorshipper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalgrontiid (Season of the Dragon)

Fun! Except I can only assume the writers expected us to refuse. I sold out Count Ravenwatch in a heartbeat, Rada told me enough to figure out his plan to sacrifice the Reachmen in Markarth, and then the writers decided I had to shut my mouth and never share this vital info until after Rada railroaded his way to victory. It went far beyond the usual case of "Vestige-induced stupidity.".

Not only that but you can guess it even earlier, or at least have suspicious of it, from having done Greymoor. Because he's kinda doing the same plan again. The answer is always harrowstorms!
    What are the witches doing over there? Harrowstorms.
    What are those other witches doing at that place? Harrowstorms.
    What are the vampires doing there? Harrowstorms.
    What happened here? Harrowstorm.
    My goodness whatever could they be planning? Harrowstorm?
    After a lot of snooping it seems they might be doing another Harrowstorm, we just didn't think of that they were going to do it under in Blackreach! Sigh :|
    Oh well, we saved Solitude, go now have a party and do whatever, so Rada can continue his next plan in peace. Shouldn't we continue focus on him and chase him?

Ah there you are, Vestige. Rada is plotting something bad about killing and souls, but what can it be! :| ..harrowstorm related?
    Goodness, he sure is continuing doing them here, we should put all the people in Markarth for safety, which lies above Blackreach too while we work on figuring out his next move! H•a•r•r•o•w•s•to•r•m! <Points at Solitude>
    Edited by NotaDaedraWorshipper on 6 February 2023 01:59
    [Lie] Of course! I don't even worship Daedra!
  • Netheniel
    Netheniel
    ✭✭✭
    No option for "None"? :(

For me, none of those chapters have memorable villains. I could never connect with the characters. They were cartoonish, always giving monologues about how they are all powerful and will rule the world. And indeed, the writers gave them so many Hail Marys to move the story towards a predictable development that it completely killed any sense of immersion or connection with them. You can literally summarize the stories as such:

* Introduce villain (clown)
    * Chase and foil villain
    * Give villain a Hail Mary and restore them back to world ending status
    * Defeat villain
    * Have end game celebration and follow-up with those you helped along the way.

IMO, the adventures in Morrowind was ESO at its best. An evolving mystery, a collection of intertwined characters and stories, a better cultural dive into the Dunmer, and the start of a long story arc, but still manages to end on a note that completes its own experience. No need for super villains or epic finallies. Just an adventure to experience and be a part of something that changes the course of peoples lives.
  • RedBranch
    RedBranch
    ✭✭✭
    I’m biased since we share a first name but Rada was presented as a multilayered character. By the end you understood his motivations, his character and flaws.
    Edited by RedBranch on 6 February 2023 06:09
  • Anhedonie
    Anhedonie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I mean Skyrim DLC story arc was probably the lowest point (writing quality) in the entire history of this game, but that specific character...I think she was pretty alright.

Edited by Anhedonie on 6 February 2023 06:20
    Profanity filter is a crime against the freedom of speech. Also gags.
  • Hurbster
    Hurbster
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    JD2013 wrote: »
    Voted Rada. At least we got to have a proper discussion with him.

I might go further and say his Mum.

So they raised the floor and lowered the ceiling. Except the ceiling has spikes in it now and the floor is also lava.