The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Bug - Character can only walk - no interaction possible

MerguezMan
MerguezMan
✭✭✭✭
As already mentioned in this thread https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/618481/bug-character-can-only-walk-can-t-log-out#latest,

Been experiencing a rather frequent bug when after porting to a wayshrine or using fast-travel, the character cannot do anything but walk, as the world around continues moving.
Even the "start" button doesn't respond and the only way to fix seems to use the xbox button and reload ESO.

The closed thread mentions a combo to display a system keyboard, but
- I don't find it in the thread
- this is not a solution but a workaround

It is absolutely not normal system behaviour that the gamepad stops responding and that the user should have to use system keyboard to input a UI reload with a gamepad.
- Has the dev team been warned about this issue or does the fact the thread is closed "because user found a solution" means nothing has been done on ZOS side ?
- When will the issue be corrected ?

- Where is this magic combo to reload UI from gamepad (Xbox One, first gen, not the Series thing) ?
[Edit] Press "Start" and "Menu" at the same time, then enter "/reloadui"
Edited by MerguezMan on December 18, 2022 2:41PM
  • CURSIN_IT
    CURSIN_IT
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It should be "map" + "menu", but I don't know if it works for your XBox One too. Last option is a hardware keyboard via USB. Good luck!
    Edited by CURSIN_IT on November 16, 2022 4:27PM
  • TheWoanderer
    TheWoanderer
    ✭✭✭
    Been getting the same issue... Arrive at a wayshrine and all I can do is walk. No buttons work apart from the Xbox home button. Having a keyboard attached to my Xbox One S I can do a reload ui and that fixes it thankfylly as I would dread having to do a full restart.
  • paperwhite
    paperwhite
    Soul Shriven
    I'm still having this issue, too. Wayshrined to The Rift yesterday and had to quit the game in order to get anything to work. I actually didn't bother logging back in last night, but that's been the only way for me to "fix" it in the past.

Edit: I'm on Xbox NA, standard Xbox wireless controller, playing solo.
    Edited by paperwhite on November 29, 2022 8:05PM
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    Actually, the trick saves you from a full reload.
    Press "Start" and "Menu" at the same time, then enter "/reloadui"

This will reload the current region you're in and should allow the game to react normally... until you wayshrine again, at least.
    Seems to happen less since last maintenance, but I'm still waiting for dev acknoledgment of the issue.
    Edited by MerguezMan on November 30, 2022 7:55PM
  • xilfxlegion
    xilfxlegion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    Actually, the trick saves you from a full reload.
    Press "Start" and "Menu" at the same time, then enter "/reloadui"

This will reload the current region you're in and should allow the game to react normally... until you wayshrine again, at least.
    Seems to happen less since last maintenance, but I'm still waiting for dev acknoledgment of the issue.

im on xbox series x and its been happening for a few weeks now --- my gf is on an xbox one and is getting the same thing -- cant bring up the chat window to do the reloadui deal --- have to close the game and restart
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno it''s been more than a month xbox players are dealing with this issue (I personnally had it again yesterday, and can confirm guildmates also have it). Can we please have some feedback ?

The issue does happen on Xbox One and Xbox Series, NA and EU servers.
  • Caribou77
    Caribou77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still no reply from ZOS on this? The problem is still pervasive and it has been three months.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This also happens on PS5.

I never had it happen when I played on PS4, but I switched completely to PS5 in November, so the bug may just be newer than that.
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    This also happens on PS5.

I never had it happen when I played on PS4, but I switched completely to PS5 in November, so the bug may just be newer than that.

I'm still on "1st generation" xbox one, and the bug is still present. Had it last week twice.

I did encounter similar issue before november 2022, but only in Cyrodiil (which I considered was due to lag, as the game would react normally after changing campaign or after character death - the previous version of the issue did not prevent to open inventory or menu, though, so it may not be directly related). Seems that november update created this issue.