The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Poll: Should the antiquity skill line give experience points?

Bobargus
Bobargus
✭✭✭✭
I personally believe that ESO needs more ways of leveling your character up (in addition to having more, different end-game activities. But i digress).

But if i am not wrong, the antiquities, when scried and excavated, do not give experience points. They only give items that you can sell for gold.

I was wondering whether if antiquity activities should provide another way of leveling up, or not.

Poll: Should the antiquity skill line give experience points? 78 votes

Yes, it should give exp.
57%
Dean340Belegnoledaryl.rasmusenb14_ESODaveMoeDeeKesstrylMalthorneSaint-AngeSorakaLonestryderSjestenkaLiedekeEnemy-of-ColdharbourRagnarok0130LysetteJim_PippFluffyReachWitchTommy_The_GunIngenonFR0STDEEAgenericname 45 votes
No, it is fine as it is.
37%
dmnqwkproprio.meb16_ESOZephiran23MasterSpatulaSheridanTandorkargen27LumsdenmlZenzukiTyharmikemaconKiralyn2000MaitsukasBretonMageAlinhbo_Tyakaredlink1979Jinxxy85SilverStreekTaggundLalMirchi 29 votes
Other
5%
MarginiszariaHapexamendiosMythgard1967 4 votes
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it is fine as it is.
    leveling a character is already insanely easy, especially with the buckets of free xp scrolls they give in daily logins
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it should give exp.
    I say "aye", because the overall rule in a game is that any time-intensive activity should generate some XP. It does not have to be much though - maybe 20% of the value of the excavated item in XP - that would be 50 XP for the initial dig and help new players to get into it - and for the advanced player it doesn't make much of a difference, it is linear to the value of the item excavated and the XP gain is quite irrelevant for an advanced player in this case, but a nice incentive for new players.
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I mean, I don't really mind either way.

But it would be very nice if ZoS made ways to effectively level besides combat. Just going through every mob to get yourself or your companion leveled up is a slog, when you'd have much more fun getting to the other parts of the game that have more story or puzzles or the like.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • RBAP28
    RBAP28
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it should give exp.
    I think everything we do in-game should give XP.
  • fathym1
    fathym1
    ✭✭
    Yes, it should give exp.
    They should add xp rewards for filling up the codex. That way it encourages actually leaving arteaum to level the skill line.
  • moleculardrugs
    moleculardrugs
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it should give exp.
    FBS94 wrote: »
    I personally believe that ESO needs more ways of leveling your character up (in addition to having more, different end-game activities. But i digress).

But if i am not wrong, the antiquities, when scried and excavated, do not give experience points. They only give items that you can sell for gold.

I was wondering whether if antiquity activities should provide another way of leveling up, or not.

I feel like there should me more style or furnishing materials given when you scry on top of some experience points. It would make people want to scry mire. I have not wanted to continue scrying for my other characters and just use one to do all the really advanced scrying. If I got more rewards, like just those really rare style materials, I would scry more. I mean, you do get some now but it doesn’t feel like it’s worth it versus going out to a dungeon or trial or doing a daily and farming it or something.
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other
    I never realized they didn't. Just don't pay that much attention to it.
  • Zephiran23
    Zephiran23
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, it is fine as it is.
    It's decent for levelling rapport with Mirri and Bastian, earns you gold, provides furnishings, a chance at motifs, the ability to create mythics and increases your chances at spotting in hidden chests in dungeons. Adding more is just going to funnel more of your daily activities into 1 specific task.

If you want to create burnout in players, make them feel like performing only 1 activity is the best way to spend their time when playing sounds like a pretty good starting point.
  • fathym1
    fathym1
    ✭✭
    Yes, it should give exp.
    Zephiran23 wrote: »
    It's decent for levelling rapport with Mirri and Bastian, earns you gold, provides furnishings, a chance at motifs, the ability to create mythics and increases your chances at spotting in hidden chests in dungeons. Adding more is just going to funnel more of your daily activities into 1 specific task.

If you want to create burnout in players, make them feel like performing only 1 activity is the best way to spend their time when playing sounds like a pretty good starting point.

This is why it would be best to tie xp rewards to the codex. That way you can’t just power level by spamming the same antiquity 100000 times.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, it is fine as it is.
    leveling a character is already insanely easy, especially with the buckets of free xp scrolls they give in daily logins

This and that skill line provides their own rewards.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it is fine as it is.
    For me, antiquity "skill" isn't a skill: it's a tool, and this tool is a simple key (that stops being a puzzle once we maxed) to an optional activity of the game, for which we do zero effort. Why should that give experience points? :D
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it is fine as it is.
    You get the XP pounding on the same boss 53 times hoping for the drop.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, it is fine as it is.
    Tbh I think too many things give experience way too easily. Crafting gives a tonne more experience than you'd expect, though of course it's useful for people to level their characters. Then there's the daily enlightenment, plus scrolls, plus events.
  • vincentxavier
    vincentxavier
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it should give exp.
    I believe it should award some xp, it doesn't have to be a lot. There are some foes out there that give almost no xp, but they do give xp. It only seems fair to give a little xp for the work you do getting an antiquity.
    PS NA
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, it should give exp.
    Don't see an issue with having it give you XP equivalent to defeating a single enemy in overland each time you finish Scrying or digging something up.
  • Sjestenka
    Sjestenka
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it should give exp.
    MMORPG that hooked me up with this genre back in the day rewarded players with XP for picking tusking flowers. Leveling to the top by picking flowers, how about that. Yes i miss that in ESO. And yes, not getting xp after digging came as unpleasant surprise