Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Who likes digging? (Scrying, excavation)

• Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Mesite wrote: »
    I tried it but everyone was saying they were making loads of money from it but I didn't seem to get much. Maybe I didn't do it for long enough

"Loads" of money is pretty subjective. But it is a decent money maker to use, if you don't want to deal with trading to other players. Isn't as decent if you don't have a bunch of wayshrines, a fast mount, or high skill at scrying/excavating though.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Lumsdenml
    Lumsdenml
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I said I enjoyed it, because I was only given 2 options. The real answer is "most of the time." One of the great things about this game is that when you don't feel like doing something, there are a myriad of other things to do. If I don't feel like digging, I don't and maybe go achievement hunt, or go into Cyrodiil, or do a BG, or do a random normal dungeon, or do some master writs... You get the picture.
    In game ID: @KnightOfTacoma
    Main: Black Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50/CP 2160 Nightblade NA PC - Grand Master Crafter, adventurer and part time ganker. Rank 35 - Palatine Grade 1
    PVP Main:Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Rank 29 - Brigadier Grade 1 - Ravenwatch veteran. Blood for the Pact!
    Guild: The Disenfranchised - ZZ!
    Obituary:
    RIP Priest of Tacoma - EP Lvl 22 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the Garden of Shadows.
    RIP.Viscount of Tacoma - EP Lvl 18 Dragon Knight NA PC Kyne - Lost in the war.
    RIP. Squire of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Knahaten Flu.
    RIP Reaper of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died of Consumption.
    RIP Sovereign of Tacoma - EP Lvl 32 NightBlade NA PC Kyne - Lost at The Battle of Brindle, December 13, 2018.
    RIP Dauphin of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC Kyne - Overdosed on Skooma.
    RIP Wraith of Tacoma - EP Lvl 10 Dragon Knight NA PC - Eaten by a dragon.
    RIP Red Knight of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Died at the Battle of Chalmen, March 18th, 2021.
    RIP Maharajah of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Templar NA PC - Lost in a sandstorm.
    RIP Vampire Of Tacoma - EP Lvl 50 Sorcerer NA PC - Fell asleep in the sun. RIP
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoyed leveling scrying and excavating all the way to level 10 the first time, but I’m not enjoying trying to get it to level 7 on my other characters for the treasure chest passive. In fact, I’m not enjoying it so much that if they were to sell the skill lines in the Crown Store it MIGHT be the first time I would be tempted by such a thing. Probably not, but it would be an ongoing temptation every time I scried and excavated a Psijic folio or a warped scrying dipper! Why did the Psijics bury so many of those things anyway??!?
    Edited by Elvenheart on 19 May 2022 21:17
  • MasterSpatula
    MasterSpatula
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I'm down for anything that adds to the worldbuilding, the storytelling, the setting, the history. And for stuff to remind us that there's a lot more to this game than fighting things.
    "A probable impossibility is preferable to an improbable possibility." - Aristotle
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    bmnoble wrote: »
    If Mythic items didn't exist I never would have bothered with either skill line.

Its not hard I just don't find it an interesting thing to do.

I don't have a single mythic item yet on PC NA, which is my main server.

I have only two mythics on PC EU-- one I'll probably never use, and one that's useful at times but rather annoying otherwise.

Personally, I'm not terribly interested in the mythic items, so that isn't what Antiquities are all about to me.

Scrying is a lot less interesting when you can just draw five lines to make a star that connects all six nodes together, but it's on me that I choose to take that success-is-guaranteed approach instead of treating it more like a puzzle.

When I’m scrying a gold antiquity, the lines I draw end up looking like a bug - one line straight up, then four lines up or down at angles from the first line to the nodes. I’ll have to try this star pattern and see how it works!

PS - I hope I’m describing that correctly, I’m trying to do it from memory because I’m not at the game right now.
  • MJ202
    MJ202
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I like the opportunity to find items not available elsewhere. There is one addition I would like to see implemented, fragmented clues. You would have to go find/obtain multiple clues, say 3, before you can then scry for the treasure. The reward would be multiple items, and I don't mean like the extra bonus items we already get, or something very high end.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    MJ202 wrote: »
    I like the opportunity to find items not available elsewhere. There is one addition I would like to see implemented, fragmented clues. You would have to go find/obtain multiple clues, say 3, before you can then scry for the treasure. The reward would be multiple items, and I don't mean like the extra bonus items we already get, or something very high end.
    There's 1 way to search multiple clues for an antiquity: just mess up the scrying so you only find 1 of the 6 sparkly bits! Yes, I know, it's not the same as what you mentioned.
    PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    MJ202 wrote: »
    There's 1 way to search multiple clues for an antiquity: just mess up the scrying so you only find 1 of the 6 dig site indicators! Yes, I know, it's not the same as what you mentioned.

• peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not me
    There wasn't really a good answer for me in this poll because I like scrying, I hate the digging part, I like the lore bits and the rewards, I hate that leads expire and I hate leads with bad RNG, especially the fishing ones or any leads for a piece needed for competitive combat tied to an inane activity I enjoy less than combat.

So I picked "no" because you said "digging" as opposed to "antiquities" but for the whole system it is a mixed bag for me. I will say that the main reason I dislike digging is because if you fail, you have to find a new site and I'm directionally challenged and don't enjoy that part of the hunt in larger areas, especially larger areas with multiple height levels and water. I am usually completely full of leads, half of which I did the scrying to keep them from timing out but I get frustrated with a failed dig and never finish, and thus half my leads are at risk of expiring because of the limit on active leads in queue to dig up. Often it's because my play time is fixed and I'm trying to do it quick before I have to get going. I have to rush to try and dig one up before the next one expires. If I could just re-try the same dig in the same spot, and/or if leads didn't expire, I would be much less irritated with the whole thing. But because I can't save them for when I leisurely have time I get so very annoyed at failed digs that take up time I don't have running around trying to find new piles of dirt.

In a game where an "urgent" quest can pause indefinitely to accommodate for real life breaks (which is a good thing btw) it makes ZERO sense that a lead for something buried for a million years can't wait to be found until I can get around to it.
    Edited by peacenote on 20 May 2022 11:58
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    peacenote wrote: »
    There wasn't really a good answer for me in this poll because I like scrying, I hate the digging part, I like the lore bits and the rewards, I hate that leads expire and I hate leads with bad RNG, especially the fishing ones or any leads for a piece needed for competitive combat tied to an inane activity I enjoy less than combat.

So I picked "no" because you said "digging" as opposed to "antiquities" but for the whole system it is a mixed bag for me. I will say that the main reason I dislike digging is because if you fail, you have to find a new site and I'm directionally challenged and don't enjoy that part of the hunt in larger areas, especially larger areas with multiple height levels and water. I am usually completely full of leads, half of which I did the scrying to keep them from timing out but I get frustrated with a failed dig and never finish, and thus half my leads are at risk of expiring because of the limit on active leads in queue to dig up. Often it's because my play time is fixed and I'm trying to do it quick before I have to get going. I have to rush to try and dig one up before the next one expires. If I could just re-try the same dig in the same spot, and/or if leads didn't expire, I would be much less irritated with the whole thing. But because I can't save them for when I leisurely have time I get so very annoyed at failed digs that take up time I don't have running around trying to find new piles of dirt.

In a game where an "urgent" quest can pause indefinitely to accommodate for real life breaks (which is a good thing btw) it makes ZERO sense that a lead for something buried for a million years can't wait to be found until I can get around to it.

OMG this makes so much sense and it had not really occurred to me that way. I assume its do to some kind of resource constraint.

It isnt always about real life breaks either. I procrastinate yellow leads.....logged in on Sunday and saw I had a lead due to expire in 30 minutes......and yes, I know that's my own fault and the game shouldn't accommodate one of my more annoying idiosyncrasies......but it is still annoying! My reasoning for doing this is....well...dumb. Oh yellow lead....only my level 9 or 10 can do those.....I am working on my level 8 right now...later.....it makes no sense...but for progression I tend to be very one track minded. It is a character flaw. (pun intended)

• Lazuli
    Lazuli
    ✭✭✭
    Me
    YASS
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Elvenheart wrote: »
    SeaGtGruff wrote: »
    bmnoble wrote: »
    If Mythic items didn't exist I never would have bothered with either skill line.

Its not hard I just don't find it an interesting thing to do.

I don't have a single mythic item yet on PC NA, which is my main server.

I have only two mythics on PC EU-- one I'll probably never use, and one that's useful at times but rather annoying otherwise.

Personally, I'm not terribly interested in the mythic items, so that isn't what Antiquities are all about to me.

Scrying is a lot less interesting when you can just draw five lines to make a star that connects all six nodes together, but it's on me that I choose to take that success-is-guaranteed approach instead of treating it more like a puzzle.

When I’m scrying a gold antiquity, the lines I draw end up looking like a bug - one line straight up, then four lines up or down at angles from the first line to the nodes. I’ll have to try this star pattern and see how it works!

PS - I hope I’m describing that correctly, I’m trying to do it from memory because I’m not at the game right now.

That's what I meant-- the first line goes up the middle, then you draw four more lines from about the middle of the screen to each of the four corners.

With gold leads the first line is a little short, so you need to click a single hexagon either just before drawing the first line, or just after, to get the right length, and the four diagonal lines have to start one hexagon higher (for the two upper corners) or lower (for the two bottom corners) than the middle of the screen, but it's basically the same pattern.

If I'm bored and want to add some variety, I'll make a sort of M or W by drawing vertical lines to connect the left corners to each other and the right corners to each other, with either the top corners connected to the central vertical line (M) or the bottom corners connected to it (W).

And if I'm so bored that making the M or W isn't interesting enough, I'll make a sort of spiral where the left side looks like part of the M and the right side looks like part of the W, or vice versa.

Those are about the only shapes you can make with the straight lines, which I think is the easiest "assured" method. But when I'm watching Twitch and see other players doing Antiquity leads, a lot of them seem to prefer using the giant snowflake tool.

As for excavation, it's interesting to see how different players on Twitch use different approaches than the one I use. It was really intriguing to watch @baratron during one of the UESP streams a year or two ago, because she was connecting those steaming squares together to expose large areas of the dig site, which I'd never seen done before, but I've not been able to get the hang of that approach. I usually just dig out 3x3 square areas to expose the antiquity and any additional items.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    Me
    we need more added. and to future content and dlc also the others.,. we like digging .,. the others who dont like it can just go do somthing else..
    people need scrying also beacuse apart of it,..
    we love it others dont .. o well let keep it i like it and others do,,
  • AzuraFan
    AzuraFan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish there was a "kind of" option. Do I like the antiquities system? It's okay. I'm not thrilled with the grind for some mythics, and I find it odd that as you level up, digs actually become more difficult.

I like the loot.
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    AzuraFan wrote: »
    I wish there was a "kind of" option. Do I like the antiquities system? It's okay. I'm not thrilled with the grind for some mythics, and I find it odd that as you level up, digs actually become more difficult.

I like the loot.
    More difficult, but with better rewards. Also, some players would *enjoy* the increased difficulty, as evidenced by the many threads on this forum complaining about how easy the game gets once you reach a certain level. Excavation is actually a counter-example to that trend.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Armanie wrote: »
    Curious to see if this system is popular.

I get a big kick out of connecting the mines and making the biggest boom possible.
  • WitchyWarrior
    WitchyWarrior
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I like it.
    What I don't like is the fact that I haven't gotten a new lead in a couple weeks now(except for MULTIPLE of the same Furnishings). I know, I know, RNG is to blame, but it's getting real annoying. I do multiple delves, dungeons(both random & specific) IC, PVP, daily quests, any random quests I find, harvest everything I see, open dozens & dozens of Treasure Chests daily(found & maps) & every boss I see & most mobs.
    I know I can look up every location there is & I have for a few, but that turns it into a chore.
    Oh well. Just thought I'd whine a little about that because, damn. It's starting to bum me out.

(I did not know about the chain reaction thing, so now I can't wait to log on to try it! so thanks!)
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Snamyap wrote: »
    I throughly enjoy digging. My major complaints are that nearly all the treasures fall into the same size and shape, and I have to find leads before I can dig up anything ‘good’, so I’m never going to be surprised by a rare drop. Compare this with Pokemon Platinum, which has a similar mini-game and wildly different shapes and sizes at different rarity levels. The leads also mean I could end up with a dozen of a supposedly-rare item as long as it comes from an activity I do a lot of, and the furnishings being bound means I can’t even sell them, but that’s more an issue with the rewards for digging. The digging itself is fun. :smiley:
    Snamyap wrote: »
    I only use the shovel option, throwel is redundant. Just like scrying where I only use coalescence.

I take it you haven’t gotten to the level where vents are showing up yet.

I'm level 10, dug up plenty of golds, hand brush works just fine where I can't use shovel.

trowel is useful for safely triggering vents. You can chain vents together to clear a path between them. Great for searching for bonus loot.
  • MidniteOwl1913
    MidniteOwl1913
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    My beef with gold leads is that they have a set expiration timer regardless of whether I can actually use the lead. So long before I got to even level 4 in scrying I had gold leads. As the grinding took me a while they all expired before I could even attempt them. Why? Wouldn't make more sense for the leads to start the timer when I can actually use the lead? What the point of timing something out that I can't prevent?
    PS5/NA
  • rpa
    rpa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Indifferent. I do not dislike it but I still believe a mobile phone game does not belong in a high fantasy mmo.
    Edited by rpa on 23 May 2022 04:33
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    rpa wrote: »
    Indifferent. I do not dislike it but I still believe a mobile phone game does not belong in a high fantasy mmo.
    Various MMOs have mini-games, though: picking the locks on a chest is one such example, and it's relevant to this particular high fantasy MMO.
  • LordRukia
    LordRukia
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    Scrying is ok but excavation is about as fun as watching paint dry or waiting at the DMV. I only do it when I have to farm a mythic otherwise I avoid like the plague, I have let many leads expire .
  • TwinLamps
    TwinLamps
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    Boring [snip].

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 23 May 2022 16:27
    Awake, but at what cost