The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Who likes digging? (Scrying, excavation)

• kypranb14_ESO
    kypranb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    The initial grind to get a character prepped to scry/excavate any tier of item is a bit tedious, afterwards however... I treat it like a distraction & diversion. D&D's are healthy for the game because they breakup the monotony of doing the same few things over and over again and make the game feel more flushed out!
  • vibeborn
    vibeborn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I like it, I find it to be a fun little activity :* I mostly did for furnishings and motifs tho
  • M0ntie
    M0ntie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    Only do it because I have to for the mythic items and nice furnishings.
    I don’t dislike it, it’s just boring
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I don’t like grinding it, but I love it when I’m bored.
    Edited by Karivaa on 17 May 2022 21:40
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not me
    If Mythic items didn't exist I never would have bothered with either skill line.

Its not hard I just don't find it an interesting thing to do.
  • Molydeus
    Molydeus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I like the rewards, mainly the unique furnishings, and the grind for mythics feels worthwhile when you finally assemble all the pieces into an item. It's exhilarating. There really aren't a lot of grindy experiences in ESO compared to other MMOs, so I like that antiquities feels a little bit like a throwback to OG MMOs where you had to camp bosses daily to get the item you wanted. I'm glad all of ESO isn't like that though.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not me
    Once I get the mythics I ignore the rest of the leads pretty much.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    Grinding it was horrible, but after it's not bad mini game.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Snamyap wrote: »
    I'm level 10, dug up plenty of golds, hand brush works just fine where I can't use shovel.

So you’re definitely missing out on chain reactions.

Hand-brush a path between two vents so they’re on the same level and so are the squares between them. Apply the trowel to one or the other and BOOM! It’ll help you clear large chunks of the site. :)
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • FeedbackOnly
    FeedbackOnly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    I'm level 10, dug up plenty of golds, hand brush works just fine where I can't use shovel.

So you’re definitely missing out on chain reactions.

Hand-brush a path between two vents so they’re on the same level and so are the squares between them. Apply the trowel to one or the other and BOOM! It’ll help you clear large chunks of the site. :)

This sounds dangerous
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I like the whole set of activities!

I would like scrying to be updated, so as to have the 6 facets located new at each opening. As is now, once we know a solution for it, we just reapply the same every time. There is no more "real" scrying step. I regret it because I always liked those games requiring to click one piece in order to change aside symbols until whole board is uniform (anyone remembering those?). <3
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    .I want to add, that it is a neat way for new players to earn some money quickly - they don't get much from crafting writs yet, but antiquities can get them decent money (for a new player), while being "pointed to" interesting locations (well, at least they are nearby then). And getting some furniture and housing items from it as well, might get them interested in housing stuff as well. I just think one has to stay away from grinding - it is too repetitive in each zone with too less variations. This doesn't matter much, if done once in a while, but one could get burned out, never to excavate again, if it's converted into a grind.
    Edited by Lysette on 19 May 2022 04:43
  • Hapexamendios
    Hapexamendios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm ambivalent. When the system first came out, it was OK. I usually did the leads. Now I largely ignore most of it except for new items and motifs.
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    DreamyLu wrote: »
    I like the whole set of activities!

I would like scrying to be updated, so as to have the 6 facets located new at each opening. As is now, once we know a solution for it, we just reapply the same every time. There is no more "real" scrying step. I regret it because I always liked those games requiring to click one piece in order to change aside symbols until whole board is uniform (anyone remembering those?). <3

Those are now even available for any kind of picture on it

1592063604-schiebepuzzle-1-slider.jpg
  • chris25602
    chris25602
    ✭✭✭
    for me this was a treat compared to jewelry. like what, i get 2 half decent minigames and not just straight grind . f yes. still gets tedious but, way better than what we have gotten previously
  • Rowjoh
    Rowjoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    Its a mobile phone quality gimmick at best. Only really useful for the mythics.

Thankfully you wont find these sort of casual bolt ons in games like Elden Ring !
  • EramTheLiar
    EramTheLiar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I enjoy the mini game a lot though I think leveling the skill lines is a bit tedious.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    bmnoble wrote: »
    If Mythic items didn't exist I never would have bothered with either skill line.

Its not hard I just don't find it an interesting thing to do.

I don't have a single mythic item yet on PC NA, which is my main server.

I have only two mythics on PC EU-- one I'll probably never use, and one that's useful at times but rather annoying otherwise.

Personally, I'm not terribly interested in the mythic items, so that isn't what Antiquities are all about to me.

Scrying is a lot less interesting when you can just draw five lines to make a star that connects all six nodes together, but it's on me that I choose to take that success-is-guaranteed approach instead of treating it more like a puzzle.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • tim77
    tim77
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    poll result is pretty surprising for me, wouldnt have expected that, at all.
  • BretonMage
    BretonMage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    It's a great thing to do when I feel like slowing down and taking a breather, but still want to stay in Tamriel and do something. It would be great if more furnishings were made available this way.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    huh. I'm kind of surprised by how many people like it, I wasn't expecting that.

I think..... if it were a totally separate game not associated with something like ESO I might enjoy it, it's not 'bad' I just really don't like mini-games. I'm here to do exploration, quests, combat, costuming, housing... If I wanted to play a game like bejeweled or mahjong or whatever then I'd be on a phone app doing that. I don't enjoy this kind of game when it's just a means to an end for something completely different. I don't log on here just to scry and dig for an hour. I'll do that because I want a particular artifact for my build or my house, but... in that context it's not really fun, it's just annoying.
  • rauyran
    rauyran
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I like it but want more leads with more varied furnishing items. There are only so many void anomalies I can use
  • Darkstorne
    Darkstorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Binary polls are dumb. I don't necessarily like the system but I don't dislike it either. It's a bit too simple and not really engaging. Just like with scrying it has a bunch of options that aren't really needed. I only use the shovel option, throwel is redundant. Just like scrying where I only use coalescence.
    Yep. I don't really enjoy the scrying and digging part. Started out as a chore, and once maxed out becomes so simple you challenge yourself to complete scrying in a single turn if you want any kind of challenge. Really lacklustre "gameplay" imo.

BUT

I adore the lore from all the items we dig up. I'm the guy who gets three of every green and blue item from each zone, and doesn't move on once I have the purple. I also love the new furnishings that get added, and I really dig (hey-o) the mythic system and how you're putting in a lot of effort to unlock those items. So I guess I'm 50/50 on the system.

As a lore fan, I'd love an expansion on the system to encourage dungeon delving. When we're supposed to be a guild interested in uncovering Tamriel's history, it seems odd we stick to the overland when there are all these Ayleid, Nedic, Argonian etc ruins scattered across the world. Maybe they could add a new skill-tree for delving. Could involve taking rubbings of ancient steles, murals, statues etc and translating texts in a new mini-game, getting hints towards uncovering ancient treasures in hidden parts of all these delves. I just want even more lore :lol:
  • captainwolfos
    captainwolfos
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I like the scrying/excavation minigames. On their own they're pretty fun.

I just hate that so many things are bound to them.
    Enemy of Boob Plates
    For the Covenant! For the High King!
    Solo Player | PVEer | Not caring about PVP since 1992
    Spill some blood for me, dear brother
  • ruengdet2515
    ruengdet2515
    ✭✭✭
    Me
    But i hate leads location in ICPS (PVP Zone)
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    Its ok. Not fun enough to grind out on new characters imo.
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I would like it more if it stuck to the cosmetic rewards, such as furnishings. When the mythic items become Meta, it changes from an optional, to a required, activity, and that just takes the fun out of it.
  • Deter1UK
    Deter1UK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I enjoy it. Its nice to take time out and do something slightly different and sill be 'in game'. I guess some people will like the card game for that reason too.
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    I tried it but everyone was saying they were making loads of money from it but I didn't seem to get much. Maybe I didn't do it for long enough
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    I dont dislike it, im one of the few who actually hate it. i just cant stand it.