The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Who likes digging? (Scrying, excavation)

Armanie
Armanie
✭✭✭
Curious to see if this system is popular.

Who likes digging? (Scrying, excavation) 223 votes

Me
73%
driosketchalenae1b14_ESOtohopka_esodaryl.rasmusenb14_ESOGlassHalfFullkypranb14_ESODarcyMardinMarginisopajPlagueSDWhiteCoatSyndrometspecherb14_ESOdmnqwkSantieClawsDanikatfreespiritApoAlaiaKhenarthiMuizerzaria 164 votes
Not me
26%
Belegnolecalitrumanb14_ESODaveMoeDeexaraantonne.backlinderb16_ESOguulMalthorneWolfpawczarAvalonRangerkiesoBodycounterHymzirXuhorapeacenoteRagnarok0130Easily_Lostcode65536Bealeb319drsalvation 59 votes
  • Sjestenka
    Sjestenka
    ✭✭✭
    Me
    I ignored this system for two years, then actually tried it and liked it x) How many legendary leads ive lost over time, dont wanna think
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    I find it enjoyable and soothing believe it or not.

Levelling it up feels a little bit on the grindy side - hence stopping after 11 characters even though I really like the 'glowing chests' passive - and the 'nested RNG' of some of the leads I find disagreeable, but digging, yeah, works for me.
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Yes as a welcome diversion from other activities and having chilled out I feel refreshed and go back to kill more monsters with renewed gusto. The gold and other rewards are also sweet.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    Binary polls are dumb. I don't necessarily like the system but I don't dislike it either. It's a bit too simple and not really engaging. Just like with scrying it has a bunch of options that aren't really needed. I only use the shovel option, throwel is redundant. Just like scrying where I only use coalescence.
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Scrying is the true endgame for me.

#Scry4Lyfe

"If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • pleximus
    pleximus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I DO! Wish there were MUCH MORE items to dig up. I find it relaxing to do antiquities.
  • jecks33
    jecks33
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I'm waiting for a new mount to be scryable!
    PC-EU
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I throughly enjoy digging. My major complaints are that nearly all the treasures fall into the same size and shape, and I have to find leads before I can dig up anything ‘good’, so I’m never going to be surprised by a rare drop. Compare this with Pokemon Platinum, which has a similar mini-game and wildly different shapes and sizes at different rarity levels. The leads also mean I could end up with a dozen of a supposedly-rare item as long as it comes from an activity I do a lot of, and the furnishings being bound means I can’t even sell them, but that’s more an issue with the rewards for digging. The digging itself is fun. :smiley:
    Snamyap wrote: »
    I only use the shovel option, throwel is redundant. Just like scrying where I only use coalescence.

I take it you haven’t gotten to the level where vents are showing up yet.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • RBAP28
    RBAP28
    ✭✭✭
    Me
    I'm a Digger who digs digging, ya dig.
  • RaddlemanNumber7
    RaddlemanNumber7
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    It's the explosions that I most enjoy. Much more fun than Time Team :D
    PC EU
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    When there is a chain reaction... KA-BOOM!

And, for me, in ESO Archaeology - Scrying + Excavation - is implemented better than in WoW.
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/594079/idea-craft-cp-sub-tree-ideas-constant-wip#latest

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>dynamic pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

>>Norg-Tzel - for Mara's sake, ZOS, REMOVE it from the list please!

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>highlighting WBs that are being fought

>>possibility to dye barding

>>possibility to switch UI between guild bank<-->bank<-->guild trader

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    I must to live up to my name after all.
  • Muizer
    Muizer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I like it, but I do think it's a bit too easy. Especially the scrying part. Reducing the potential dig sites to 1 doesn't pose much of a challenge. Not necessarily suggesting that should be made harder, but it would be nice to receive some reward for being efficient beyond achieving this.
    Please stop making requests for game features. ZOS have enough bad ideas as it is!
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Me
    I can not get enough of that (saying this as a real live archaeologist). ;)
  • Iselin
    Iselin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Me
    If it weren't for mythic item leads it would have been a hard pass but the multi lead scavenger hunts take it to the next level.

I even targeted the 17 piece dwarven steampunk wolf mount a couple of months ago and just finished it recently. That was a special kind of grind but worth it in the end.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I don't go out of my way to grind for leads, and don't always scry and excavate them as soon as I do find them-- especially the ones for furnishings I've already got a lot of-- but I find it enjoyable enough to do when I do it.

The scrying part is stupid-easy after you've maxed out its skill line and purchased all of its passives, so it's actually more of a mini-game while you're still leveling it up.

The excavation part is the more challenging aspect of Antiquities, at least for me.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Marginis
    Marginis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    A bit slow if grinding out, a pleasant break when here and there.
    @Marginis on PC, Senpai Fluffy on Xbox, Founder of Magicka. Also known as Kha'jiri, The Night Mother, Ma'iq, Jane Shepard, Damia, Kintyra, Zoor Do Kest, You, and a few others.
  • Belegnole
    Belegnole
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    It's not hard. It's just something that has to be done. Sort of like taking out the trash. I don't dislike it as much as I could do without it.
  • drsalvation
    drsalvation
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    I like the rewards, but once you get to high levels, it feels more like a chore and less of a minigame. You're no longer planning and strategizing when scrying, you just do the snowflake spell thingy, but the excavations themselves feel longer than need be at highest level. I think the difficulty curve is flipped.
    Scrying becomes easier and almost instant the higher your scry level, but excavations become longer, harder and more tedious the higher your excavation level.
    I think chain reactions are so satisfying tho.

But between excavations and fishing, I'd take excavations all day lol. At least they're engaging.
    Edited by drsalvation on 17 May 2022 15:29
  • Tesman85
    Tesman85
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I do! I like the mini games, as some brains are needed for optimal results, and the rewards are nice. Besides, the leveling of the skill was for once just right: not too easy, not too frustratingly grindy. So, the sense of accomplishment when the skill hit max level felt earned. Also, the excavations can be fun mini adventures depending on the location. My Breton magsorc, who is my "archeologist", carries proudly the title of Master Historian.
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Armanie wrote: »
    Curious to see if this system is popular.

The system is clearly popular as many of us have mythic gear. The system is the entire antiquities system. That does not mean every aspect of the system is thrilling as it is a means to an end.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Not a staple activity of course, but on the occasions when needed, I find it enjoyable - and not frustrating. One more nice little thing in the game that you can do when you feel like it.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I wouldn't say so much that I like it. It's more that I don't dislike it. Scrying is mind-numbingly easy once you have the powerups. You basically can't lose and there is zero strategy to it.

Excavation is at least slightly interactive. I make it a point to go for the bonus loot as there is some actual setup required to trigger a big combo. That part feels moderately engaging. If I'm just digging up the actual item, it feels like busy work you can't really lose at.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Taggund
    Taggund
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    The bad part is the sometimes outrageously horrible RNG on leads, but overall I like antiquities.
  • Snamyap
    Snamyap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Me
    I throughly enjoy digging. My major complaints are that nearly all the treasures fall into the same size and shape, and I have to find leads before I can dig up anything ‘good’, so I’m never going to be surprised by a rare drop. Compare this with Pokemon Platinum, which has a similar mini-game and wildly different shapes and sizes at different rarity levels. The leads also mean I could end up with a dozen of a supposedly-rare item as long as it comes from an activity I do a lot of, and the furnishings being bound means I can’t even sell them, but that’s more an issue with the rewards for digging. The digging itself is fun. :smiley:
    Snamyap wrote: »
    I only use the shovel option, throwel is redundant. Just like scrying where I only use coalescence.

I take it you haven’t gotten to the level where vents are showing up yet.

I'm level 10, dug up plenty of golds, hand brush works just fine where I can't use shovel.
    Edited by Snamyap on 17 May 2022 17:47
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not me
    Scrying can be fun without the passives, but the whole system overall--especially if you have to farm leads for a mythic--is extremely tedious for my liking.
  • Blinx
    Blinx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I have to be in the mindset to do so, but if I am, then I do find it relaxing.

I don't really bother using mythics, only 1's I have that I use are Wildhunt ring for farming, Markyn Ring on my Sorc, and the Dwarven Mount on one alt,
    I let many leads expire due to one or another lead being difficult to acquire (for me personally), to complete an item.

4 out of 5 toons 10/10, the other just did the tutorial, will get around to him eventually
  • Mythgard1967
    Mythgard1967
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me
    Somehow; Scrying and Excavation is how I became aware that I roleplay more than I think I do.

I love this system. I have 2 level 10 and 3 level 9 and I am working on my next level 9. Clearly, I am not just doing it for "chest sparklies".

I avoided it for two years and then I bought a house I loved and spent months working on it (and excavating for it).

Now its a big part of my character identities (as are their homes...though two of my characters are still homeless....but there is a shared work shop for them to use).

I even kneejerk reacted to the upcoming change of making the items purchase-able once the codex is complete. I mean, I didn't knee-jerk on the forums or anything. But in my mind, my initial reaction was ... NOOOOOOOOOOO.....

The reality??? I can still excavate them if I want to as part of that immersion (and if not, that's fine too).........and now maybe I have characters who go to a bazaar to buy the excavated things from other excavators.

Bottomline is, I do find it fun (except the early levels 1-4/5...I kinda wish there was more questing involved with it, I think.). It also increases the flavor of the game for me. It isn't the meat and potatoes.....but its a really love sauce...and I love sauces. Some people don't; and that is ok.

• LannStone
    LannStone
    ✭✭✭✭
    Me
    I like it. I just wish the Coldharbour leads - which are so easy to get from harvesting just about anything - were a little more varied.