The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Angler's Guild & Fishing Skill Line

Aminatu
Aminatu
✭✭✭
Apparently I derped and missed the part about rezzing dead threads. I responded to https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/7589136

I'm feeling lazy so I'm copying and pasting my post from there.

I would love an Angler's Guild similar to the Mage, Thief, & Fighter's guilds. I would love to have a questline where you have to help the leader with some issue. Maybe pirates or some threat to fishing areas or something that unlocks an area similar to Eyeveya where you can fish. Some have suggested a player home boat. I would love that as an end reward but I would also love an area either on an island or on a large ship/boat where you can have a homestead inside the ship (captain's quarters perhaps) or have the entire ship as a homestead on an island that you unlock.

There could be more Scrying & Digging on the island as well as daily fishing quests. The island could be reached via wayshrine (instead of having to take a portal like Eyeveya) once unlocked.

Alternatively, they could unlock daily fishing near crafting stations and have a new turn in box nearby. But, just as I don't mind having go to Grahtwood for turning in writs, I wouldn't mind having a specific place for turning in fishing writs. But it would be nice to have them at Angler's Guild Halls that could be added to other zones. Even if its just at some docks or on a ship. An Angler's Guild would fit well with High Isles.

I would love to have craftable beverages that also boost fishing luck (similar to Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl). Perhaps it could increase number of fish you catch & the more you catch the higher chance of getting something rare. I vote for some sort of beer.

Eventually a new companion that can boost chance of finding special containers or items while fishing would be great. An Argonian would be fitting.

I love most of the ideas in this thread. Fishing skill line and achievement to get an item. Maybe a costume weapon that looks like a fishing pole or trident to spear fish, individual fisherfolk costume pieces that can be transmogged so you can build your own outfit- would love the hat, back item, and belt separately. Maybe some very long boots (waders for standing in cold water without getting too cold) that could be thigh-high at least.

It would be cool to get some Tool items that can be summoned for a duration like a fishing chair- allowing characters to sit while fishing, a fishing sign or totem that boosts fishing for all players in the vicinity (similar to one in WoW) for a duration.

I would also love for some sort of sound to be made when a fish bites (for those of us who don't play on console and can't use the mod to make some sort of vibration). I admit, I sometimes need to close my eyes or look away for a moment & I miss that a fish bit. I do have a mod that makes a fishing hook appear to tell me, but if I'm looking away, blinking, or if a cat climbs in my face (which happens often) I can't see it.

Once we hit a certain level it would be nice to have a vendor/npc that either sells or gives special bait. Could be like the Thieves Guild silent Argonian that gives you stuff once per day.

The ability to find crab traps or clam/oyster digging spots along the coast (similar to thieves dropboxes) would be neat. They could contain bait, fish, crabs, clams, oysters, pearls, small housing items, etc. Maybe even bottles with recipes/patterns.

I know some of this is repetition of other stuff, but it really would be neat. Maybe we could craft new fishing poles and have a new slot added to our inventory/equipment section and equip a fishing pole for when we choose to fish. Or have it under the Tool section. Not really sure which would work better. Having specific gear in inventory that buffs fishing when the appearance is shown (while still allowing us to wear our regular armor/weapons) would be nice. It could be put in the Disguise box perhaps?

I often find it hard to fish in a group-- especially if I lag and the fishing hole disappears. So, I would love it if more people fishing did not decrease the number of casts a person who is at the fishing hole at the same time can get. And if someone fishes the last fish, it should not take the hole away and eat the bait used by other players. Instead, the people who already have their bobbers in will be able to catch one more fish while the hole disappears for the ones who caught the last fish (if that makes any sense). Either that or the bait should not be lost.

The ability to not lose bait if you miss catching (say you respond too late) or even if you do catch, would be nice. Small percentage obviously if something was caught.

Sorry if my thoughts are disorganized. Fishing is something nostalgic for me now that I can no longer fish in real life for health reasons.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like all of your ideas. I hope ZOS expands on fishing sooner rather than later.
  • Fester82
    Fester82
    ✭✭
    I like the idea. I would not mind a crown fishing pole either.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I like the ideas, players who like fishing should have more content than they have right now.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • dmnqwk
    dmnqwk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we have fishing lines, we'd need lines for delves, world bosses, dolmens etc.

Without changing how fishing works, I cannot forsee a purpose to a skill line that isn't accomplished already with the CP and the food buff - however, I can see them extending fishing to other areas, such as trapsetting (no, it would not be okay to call it baiting!) or Butterfly catching for an expansion of the current fishing tasks.
  • Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Waiting for mass fillet before I go for fishing achievements
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the only thing i want from fishing is to remove the "minigame" aspect, or make it optional in some way, it makes fishing completely unenjoyable for me

fishing to me should be like any other material node, you hit 1 key to harvest and then loot, none of this nonsense that barely constitutes a minigame
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd love for more to be done with fishing.

At least better rewards from the sacks.
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fishing has so much potential. I can understand that ZOS has their own schedule, but still guys - @ZOS - do consider the possiblity of expanding it into a skill, with possibly profitable rewards.

Selling stacks of fish, as profitable as it can be, it's fardly hun.
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/594079/idea-craft-cp-sub-tree-ideas-constant-wip#latest

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>dynamic pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

>>Norg-Tzel - for Mara's sake, ZOS, REMOVE it from the list please!

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>highlighting WBs that are being fought

>>possibility to dye barding

>>possibility to switch UI between guild bank<-->bank<-->guild trader

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like the idea of an Angler's Guild and a Fishing Skill Line. I've never gotten into fishing here but this would encourage me to give it a go.
    PCNA
  • Cendrillion21
    Cendrillion21
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »
    I'd love for more to be done with fishing.

At least better rewards from the sacks.

I wish we could throw those pitiful sacks back into the water. You just know it's going to be something extremely underwhelming like a ta.

OP's idea is interesting and I'd like to see it happen.
    Campos de oro
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    +1
  • AshfieldLad
    AshfieldLad
    ✭✭✭
    Put some furnishings, even fishing specific if you have to , into sacks you can fish up and watch how many people start fishing!
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Put some furnishings, even fishing specific if you have to , into sacks you can fish up and watch how many people start fishing!

Me for one!
    PCNA
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    still needs be new leveling skill tree in fishing .. also needs like leveling in rods new rods old rods and lines to change also the bait .. more fishes and more cooler things added .. skill tree for fishing be cool also fact could add quests.. and dailies to this.. this is the bag thing and i think others want this too.. fishing would be amazing skill line.. with benifts..
    1 more fish caught
    2 more hooks on line
    3 speed .
    4 swimming faster in water maybe
    5 rare fish found easier and so on ..

these could be cool --
    fishing outfits .. costumes .. and also armour outfit in outfit section ..
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe one skill could be "Filet Whole Stack of Fish".
    PCNA
  • Aminatu
    Aminatu
    ✭✭✭
    Fishing related furnishings and patterns would be nice.
    I like the idea of mass fillet. I have an addon that makes me stand there and fillet each fish one at a time but I only have to click it once to get it started. But still, I have to stand there and fillet.
    Maybe they could add a filleting station where it can be done all at once as if by magic. Or just give you a magic filleting knife that lets you fillet an entire stack in one go.
    Would be nice to have a fillet knife as a costume weapon.

I really want to build my own fishing outfit. I love the hat, back item (not sure what it would be called) and belt but am not thrilled with the tunic and short pants with Fisherfolk costume. Hat could use some embellishment to add fishing lures. Shoulder items for it are ok-- go with the hat, but I would rather have something else.

As tedious as it is to have to see the fish bite & click, it could be worse. I've played games where you had to keep clicking at the right times or fish got away. I can see why people would want this to be instant. Would be cool to walk up with a net and toss it at a fishing hole and grab a bunch of fish at once like harvesting.

It would also be cool to be able to plant traps (as someone suggested). Perhaps in homes that have water or in a specific location at a dock (maybe at an Angler's guildhall) and come back later to collect whatever was trapped.

I don't know if there is already a craftable cut up fish, but I would love to have fish chunks decor to put on plates in front of my kitty pets.

Any ideas on a name for the beer that would enhance fishing skill (either improve % of better fish- blues and such) or increase number of fish caught?

Probably would never happen, but being able to summon a raft to stand on while fishing would be wonderful. We have that in retail version of World of Warcraft. I already like ESO's fishing better in some regards bc I don't have to click with my mouse to collect my fish.
  • Aminatu
    Aminatu
    ✭✭✭
    I finally realized the back item on Fisherfolk wear is some sort of fish trap. I think it's pretty cool.

I also realized that there is a fishing beverage- Hissmer Fish-Eye Rye but it does NOT stack with Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl. They overwrite each other. So, I propose they be allowed to stack since one is a beverage and the other is food. Alternatively, have something like Baited-Breath Brew that increases chance of either extra fish or rare fish that stacks with the fish bowl. Could even add Breton to the front of the name & have it come from High Isles.

If a fishing skill is added, the ability to see the fishing nodes better can be part of the skill line.

I'm also hoping that someday we can have an Argonian Companion that gives extra stuff when fishing and that has rep go up when you catch a rare fish or every x minutes while fishing and catching stuff.

The ability to find more bait while harvesting and fishing would be nice.

I know some of these ideas have been mentioned before.

Right now my AC isn't working so it is hot and my brain is not working.
  • EozZoe1989
    EozZoe1989
    ✭✭✭
    yes we need a skill line for this for fishing.. more fish . more lores and rods.. leveling and more..locations and quests.. also could have things that we could find in water too also other than fish..
    skill line would be nice w have way enough of the sky-shards so we need more skill lines and more
    we need more on skill line of skills on bars.. if understand lol
    more nodes for skills add more skills on bar..
    10 be nice. on each and two ultmers maybe ..
    sorry about spelling iam ill in head lol
  • Aminatu
    Aminatu
    ✭✭✭
    I would be happy if we could have 6 abilities on a bar instead of 5. But I don't know if a game controller is capable of more than 5 and they do things to make the game work for PC and console.
    More fishing pole appearances would be nice. I'd like to be able to hide my weapons while sheathed so they don't look odd when I'm fishing.
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aminatu wrote: »
    there is a fishing beverage- Hissmer Fish-Eye Rye but it does NOT stack with Artaeum Pickled Fish Bowl. They overwrite each other. So, I propose they be allowed to stack since one is a beverage and the other is food.

AGREED!!! They should be able to be stacked with each other.
  • Aminatu
    Aminatu
    ✭✭✭
    An ability to automatically reel in a line when a fish bites would be really nice (that way if I lag or get distracted and look away for a moment I won't miss it).
  • KalevaLaine
    KalevaLaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    An ability to automatically reel in a line when a fish bites would be really nice (that way if I lag or get distracted and look away for a moment I won't miss it).

On PC I use Votan's Fischerman. There you can get an optical and a sound effect when it's ready. Not full automatically, but also quite good.
    i TurNeD inTo A mARtian 👽 // PC EU seit 2020 (3302CP) // PS EU von 2015-2020 (1250CP)
  • Aminatu
    Aminatu
    ✭✭✭

On PC I use Votan's Fischerman. There you can get an optical and a sound effect when it's ready. Not full automatically, but also quite good.

That is what I use but it does not have sound. Only the visual fishing hook. Sometimes my eyes get tired/sore and other times I look away for a moment. I also have cats that choose the most inopportune moments to climb in front of my screen or stick their furry butts in my face so I can't see.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This would be such an awesome thing to see, and another way to bring life to towns.

There are multiple towns per zone. I could see an Angler guild in the less popular/non-trader towns. Imagine trophy fish for the given zone being purchased as furnishings from Angler guild halls :o
    Edited by Vaoh on 1 June 2022 11:25
  • Aminatu
    Aminatu
    ✭✭✭
    Fishing trophies would be cool. I forgot to mention that I'd like the ability to do mass filleting of fish instead of cutting them one by one.

Daily fishing quests would be fun (at least for me). As with the New Life Festival there could be special schools of fish spawned just for the quest & we could catch x type of fish or x number of x type of fish.

I also propose that if we bet bumped by an npc while fishing it either does not interrupt or it will return the bait. For that matter, when multiple people are fishing from a spot & one person gets the last fish-- it sucks that the rest of us lose our bait and our fishing ends. It would make more sense to get our bait back OR to be able to keep fishing until we catch something and then the spot will disappear.

I'm also hoping for an Argonian or Sea Elf companion (preferably Argonian) that loves fishing. Gets rapport when you catch rare stuff, gives bonus items when fishing (sort of like hidden wallet), etc. Rapport gain for cooking seafood. I know Catches Many Fish may sound too generic, but something along those lines would be cool. I would like a male Argonian since we only have one male companion thus far. Oh, and I would like for him to not get mad about stealing or blade-of-woe.
  • Dr_Con
    Dr_Con
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would want a fishing system overhaul if added in an angler's guild. There should be chances of pulling up items or mobs that attack you (everything from mudcrabs, to mechanical fish in clockwork city, to yaghra, to sloads/world boss-classed mobs and beyond). The current system is beyond bland and I want nothing to do with a suggestion that would only speed up/incentivize this bland and boring system. It's a grindy activity, and needs to be made more meaningful.

Progression should be very slow, and different levels unlock fishing up different mobs. Different bait or even chumming a fishing spot can increase the chances of a type of mob. If players want to keep fishing up only trodh and silverperch then they may do so with basic bait, but players who want to actually have fun while fishing and not tab out to some more entertaining activity would likely enjoy this version of fishing more.
    Edited by Dr_Con on 14 December 2022 07:11
  • Aminatu
    Aminatu
    ✭✭✭
    The whole point of a game is to be fun. Grindy is not fun. I don't care if it is "meaningful". I want it to be fun-- and in the absence of fun at least not miserably grindy and boring. So, I respectfully disagree completely with that sentiment. Making it more "grindy" would suck.
  • Indigo_Shade
    Indigo_Shade
    ✭✭✭
    I'm all fished out and a bit anti-fishing after spending a solid year (spread across 2019-2021) to get the Master Angler Achievement.

I still think the OP has solid ideas here. And I think all MMO's really do not make the most of fishing. Would be great if ESO could step up and create a standard other MMO's could aspire to with fishing. Of all the MMO's I have played/still play, I think ESO has the best chance create the first real Fishing system in an MMO.