Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Temporary Forum Icon Changes

ZOS_Kevin
ZOS_Kevin
Community Manager
Hi Everyone,

As you may have noticed, our ZOS "Z " icons have been temporarily replaced with the ouroboros logo. We are currently working on updating the forum icons and have these up as placeholder for the time being. Once we have new icons, we will update the community accordingly. Thanks for your patience.
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on 17 March 2022 20:53
Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
Staff Post
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is great idea to change those for something else. Also, just a short feedback: would it be possible to have different icon for developer team & different for admin/mod ? Very often I see this icon and click on a forum thread hoping that it is a dev or community manager saying something interesting, only to realise it is forum moderation team. Would be nice to have different icons so people could know in advance what to expect.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on 8 March 2022 09:52
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, just a short feedback: would it be possible to have different icon for developer team & different for admin/mod ? Very often I see this icon and click on a forum thread hoping that it is a dev or community manager saying something interesting, only to realise it is forum moderation team. Would be nice to have different icons so people could know in advance what to expect.

Second this. I know we’ve got the Dev Tracker but separate icons would still be nice.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it is great idea to change those for something else. Also, just a short feedback: would it be possible to have different icon for developer team & different for admin/mod ? Very often I see this icon and click on a forum thread hoping that it is a dev or community manager saying something interesting, only to realise it is forum moderation team. Would be nice to have different icons so people could know in advance what to expect.

Third this. It would be an absolutely amazing quality of life change. Hopefully the new changes will include this as well.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_Kevin wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

As you may have noticed, our ZOS "Z " icons have been temporarily replaced with the ouroboros logo. We are currently working on updating the forum icons and have these up as placeholder for the time being. Once we have new icons, we will update the community accordingly. Thanks for your patience.

It would be a good oportunity to give a new icon for the forum moderation team toore easyy distinguish them from you, gina and other dev team member and comunity manager
  • LurgidBean
    LurgidBean
    ✭✭✭✭
    I also find it odd that seeking out official information from ZOS on the forums, would regularly lead you to viewing disciplinary actions against other players' postings. Is it a good idea to visually label & bring extra attention to any thread that had a moderation comment?
    "Hey! We know you're just trying to find some official info since you don't use Twitter, but why don't you take a scroll past these 15 ZOS comments in the past 72 hours that are only moderating individuals on our forum...What were you looking for again?"
    Edited by LurgidBean on 8 March 2022 14:43
    Xbox NA/EU
    "Once I misplaced an entire roast chicken, so this doesn't surprise me."
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager

Thanks for the feedback on this, everyone. We are hoping to improve that process. It will take a little development work, but our hope is to get different icons for both dev/community and admin/mods. If it doesn't happen in this first round of changes, it will happen later this year. We'll keep everyone updated once we have more info on this. But wanted to highlight this is on our radar.
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the feedback on this, everyone. We are hoping to improve that process. It will take a little development work, but our hope is to get different icons for both dev/community and admin/mods. If it doesn't happen in this first round of changes, it will happen later this year. We'll keep everyone updated once we have more info on this. But wanted to highlight this is on our radar.

I recommend a town guard avatar for the mods. And that they sign off all their posts with how they used to be a admin such as yourself, but then they took an arrow to the knee.
  • Ariont
    Ariont
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    I recommend a town guard avatar for the mods. And that they sign off all their posts with how they used to be a admin such as yourself, but then they took an arrow to the knee.

Best idea of all time. Excellent!!! Agree 100%
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Given the similarities of the 'Z' icon with... other stuff, this is IMO a welcome move.

Pretty swift too all things considered.

Thank you.
  • JavaRen
    JavaRen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there still a loading screen tip in game that refers to the Z icon denoting Game Masters?
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JavaRen wrote: »
    Is there still a loading screen tip in game that refers to the Z icon denoting Game Masters?

Yes.
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads up
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

ESO Beta Test Ultimate Question for control!
    Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • kind_hero
    kind_hero
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I am sorry if not understanding the issue here. But what development work is required to change a few forum avatars and create categories for different types of users?

Anyway, I hope you will improve this and find a way for us to differentiate dev posts from moderators or CMs.
    Thanks.
    [PC/EU] Tamriel Hero, Stormproof, Grand Master Crafter
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kind_hero wrote: »

I am sorry if not understanding the issue here. But what development work is required to change a few forum avatars and create categories for different types of users?

Anyway, I hope you will improve this and find a way for us to differentiate dev posts from moderators or CMs.
    Thanks.

Well, unless things have MATERIALLY changed with vanilla's forum software, it's not simple. In fact, even phpbb's setups for differing forum user-groups is pretty complex, and vanilla's software is nowhere NEAR as good as phpbb. Yes, I have developed for both, but only use phpbb now.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @kind_hero Good question. The development time would be for the icons that appear next to forum threads. Currently, only one image can show up there. So that is why everyone isn't sure when ZOS team or mods comment in a thread. The development time is to allow multiple images show and what triggers them to show (staff vs. mod comments). Vanilla is great at a lot of things, but sometimes we need to do a little extra for extra integration. We also need to allow time for our teams to work on new icons. So that all takes some time.

Hope that answers your question!
    Staff Post
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    . The development time would be for the icons that appear next to forum threads. Currently, only one image can show up there. So that is why everyone isn't sure when ZOS team or mods comment in a thread. The development time is to allow multiple images show and what triggers them to show (staff vs. mod comments). Vanilla is great at a lot of things, but sometimes we need to do a little extra for extra integration. We also need to allow time for our teams to work on new icons. So that all takes some time.

Hope that answers your question!
    hey @ZOS_Kevin , a quick follow-up question if i may ... Any chance for a PLAYER-made "contest" to see who could come up with like 2 or 3 potential ESO themed new icons for each Staff type?

It could save on some of that development time.... Although, i suppose it might also cancel itself out with having to sort thru all the numerous umm inappropriate versions certain people might try to submit as a "joke" . :/ -- So yeah nvm lol
    Edited by NeeScrolls on 10 March 2022 20:08
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hey @NeeScrolls. Good question! While not for the usage of staff icons specifically, we are working on a contest of sorts for player made icons. More news to come later but since you asked, it is on our radar for the forum. It's in an effort to give everyone some control of what things look like.

We are just working on the specifics to make sure guidelines and upload structure for submissions make sense.
    Staff Post
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey @NeeScrolls. Good question! While not for the usage of staff icons specifically, we are working on a contest of sorts for player made icons. More news to come later but since you asked, it is on our radar for the forum. It's in an effort to give everyone some control of what things look like.

We are just working on the specifics to make sure guidelines and upload structure for submissions make sense.

Awesome, can't wait! Thanks again for the replies. B)
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that's something to look forward to! Nice!
  • ValarMorghulis1896
    ValarMorghulis1896
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    Given the similarities of the 'Z' icon with... other stuff, this is IMO a welcome move.

Thank you.

The best move these days would be to exchange the "z" with a sunflower! :)
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    “I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" Death thought about it. "CATS", he said eventually. "CATS ARE NICE.” Terry Pratchett
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Much needed change. No one cares about a mod telling us they removed a post.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »

Thank you.

Oh good grief. A Z can't just be a Z now?
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apparently not. Zeta is now.... something totally anathema.
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »

While I personally object to giving up 1/26th of the alphabet because of reasons, ZOS is a business and they have to be careful about that sort of thing.

If we finally get differentiated icons between the mods and the devs as a result I will count it a win.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works
  • Scaletho
    Scaletho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the upgrade 33 today? I understood up 33 was due by March, 14 on PC but I'm not seeing any news about it...
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually kind of like the Ouroboros symbol. Will it HAVE to be eventually replaced, or can it stay the Ouroboros symbol? I've always thought the symbol was pretty cool in general.
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    @Scaletho Yes, update 33 will be out later today. We are gearing up for launch over the next few hours. We'll announce across our channels that everything is good to go.
    Staff Post
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

While I personally object to giving up 1/26th of the alphabet because of reasons, ZOS is a business and they have to be careful about that sort of thing.

Careful of what, exactly? What could possibly happen?

It's literally the first letter of their name and also the logo.

Will they change their name to Nenimax? (requires least amount of work, just tilt the logo)
  • NeeScrolls
    NeeScrolls
    ✭✭✭✭

Careful of what, exactly? What could possibly happen?
    Hypotheticaly, the scary "Twitter mob" might could inflict it's public "shaming" wrath.

This is the society we live in now, thanks in part to Corporations and their fear.

Hopefully the pendulum will swing back from extreme-irrational to logical-reasonable someday soon. :/

In the meantime, i couldn't care less which letters the ESO company changes it's name to (since it is, after all, their business to do with as they see fit) . As long as their CODE works in-game, i'm good.
    Edited by NeeScrolls on 15 March 2022 15:41
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thanks for the update Kevin. I hope if/when that's rolled out, that we only see Dev/CM icons. In the event both mods and CMs comment on a thread, I'd hope the icon is for the CM.