The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

ESO, MMO's and the passion to play.

Subjectcrank
Subjectcrank
✭✭
I am a long time MMO Gamer I Started Briefly with UO on a 56k dial up, then moved to EQ from 2001-2006. during which time my main character who was a beastlord had clocked in game time at 987+ days played, i thusly moved to wow but did not keep track of my time played i would say from, if i were to estimate, every day from Vanilla to WoTLK. After that i jumped to a few games between LOTRO and SWTOR to which i had over 15k+ hours in each of them played. played lots of games in between those GW1-2, STO and a ton of games that had tanked years ago now. Even the first MMO to tank that did not make it past its second patch called Auto Assault. City of Hero's and DC online were brief on my playlist. Warhammer, that i really wish was still around. Wildstar was brief as well. But now overall with game time. I am currently thinking of trying to clock in at 10k hours here and see if i can write a type of guide on how to play without a subscription. I Really enjoy purchasing content and items as i need them, rather than maintaining a sub. What i want to ask is though How many of you that play have clocked in over 10k hours on say Steam or on specific characters? and of those people who have, have you been subscribed for the entirety or have you enjoyed just playing without a sub? I have noticed that on steam the game has a mixed rating and a lot of down votes. I on the other hand, think this game is amazing. But I think i can formulate a decent guide for those looking to play long term and without needing to maintain a subscription. thoughts and ideas would be helpful. Thanks!
Edited by Psiion on 22 January 2022 03:24
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I actually don't know how many hours played - 3.5 years at around 7 hours or so almost every day.... Just using that as a base estimate it's over 8400 hours. However, I always sub a game I enjoy. I haven't missed a day of paid time on two accounts (so two subs) since June of 2018.

I wouldn't ever play a game like this without a sub.
  • Subjectcrank
    Subjectcrank
    ✭✭
    Sylvermynx wrote: »
    I actually don't know how many hours played - 3.5 years at around 7 hours or so almost every day.... Just using that as a base estimate it's over 8400 hours. However, I always sub a game I enjoy. I haven't missed a day of paid time on two accounts (so two subs) since June of 2018.

It’s not the fact I don’t want to subscribe I just don’t have a CC and they stopped selling steam cards where I live. Which in effect would be part of the purpose to write a guide for those who want to play without one and what are essential and a non essential way to enjoy the game.

On that note however I have two accounts as well but read Boxing was against the rules. Is this still the case?? I really hope I could box but after reading that I am likely not going to. I do have two computers and am capable of old school boxing which I really enjoy. Has there been any update to the TOS that allow people to do this??
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    At my last check with /played, I was around 11.5k.
    I am a subscriber. Since March 2014.
    At launch, sub was mandatory, but when 1T came, I continued to sub out of loyalty, then it was that and crafting bag mostly.
    I find $15 a month a extreme value for the enjoyment I get.
    Just my 2 drakes. Hope it helps.
    Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i stay subbed primarily for the craft bag as well, but it is possible to play without it

just takes a lot of material management (the biggest space eating is style mats)

multiple accts as far as im aware are not against the rules (i have 2 accounts as well, but i also have 2 separate computers to play them on and use my 2nd acct as a farmer or tank fill in randoms with friends, or "old school boxing" as you put it lol)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s not the fact I don’t want to subscribe I just don’t have a CC and they stopped selling steam cards where I live. Which in effect would be part of the purpose to write a guide for those who want to play without one and what are essential and a non essential way to enjoy the game.

On that note however I have two accounts as well but read Boxing was against the rules. Is this still the case?? I really hope I could box but after reading that I am likely not going to. I do have two computers and am capable of old school boxing which I really enjoy. Has there been any update to the TOS that allow people to do this??

You can 2-box - as long as you are tabbing back and forth between two instances of the game, without any software "intervention" (like keyclone) to duplicate keystrokes. I've loaded both accounts at once, one instance on each of my two screens, to swap stuff back and forth between them, or open up wayshrines occasionally - but with satellite my only available connection, and the huge ping (750+ ms), doing more than standing still to swap stuff, or port to the other account at a wayshrine is pretty near impossible. Not to mention that I really don't have any reason to do something else anyway!
  • Subjectcrank
    Subjectcrank
    ✭✭

You can 2-box - as long as you are tabbing back and forth between two instances of the game, without any software "intervention" (like keyclone) to duplicate keystrokes. I've loaded both accounts at once, one instance on each of my two screens, to swap stuff back and forth between them, or open up wayshrines occasionally - but with satellite my only available connection, and the huge ping (750+ ms), doing more than standing still to swap stuff, or port to the other account at a wayshrine is pretty near impossible. Not to mention that I really don't have any reason to do something else anyway!

That's Awesome, now i can old school group and keep myself company lol
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As another old-school MMO player (City of Heroes, LOTRO, FF14, Anarchy Online) I've been playing off and on since 2015 PS4 release. I'll sometimes take a 1-2 month break and when I come back, sub a couple of months mostly for the craft bag, though I rarely craft anything nowadays.

I can't imagine how many hours I've played ESO over the years. I've made and remade many characters since then.
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Crossed the 4000 hr mark earlier this year for ESO. Started in December 2018.

Think I had somewhere in between 2 - 3K hrs in SWTOR, think I played it from about 2015 till just before I started ESO, have gone back a few times but the glacial rate of the release of new content has failed to keep my interest for long.

Other than that barely played any MMO's didn't have the internet till later in life when I bought it myself, never had it in the house growing up, so I didn't really start playing online games in general till I was an adult with work and other real life commitments keeping my spare time on the low side.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been playing since launch, way into the 5 figures with time. Always subbed.

There is nothing you need to buy for this game that is not cosmetic or for being lazy. Sub gives you the same in Crowns, each month, so why not?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have probably 3-5 k hours played. No eso+ except for free trials
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Subjectcrank
    Subjectcrank
    ✭✭
    I have probably 3-5 k hours played. No eso+ except for free trials

That's pretty sweet! the free model is actually quite good so long as you have the inventory under control which is not that difficult.
  • Toxic_Hemlock
    Toxic_Hemlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played at launch and left due to many things. I came back last year and was pleased to see the progress the game has made. There are things I would fix/change, but overall I find this game to my liking now.

Passionate? Maybe on certain things, but overall I play for the immersion the game offers, and I am fervently hoping they don't add floating candy cane pets or similar garbage in the future or it will be my last log in. Some of the mounts are already over the top, but I can live with them as they are still more or less rare.
  • Subjectcrank
    Subjectcrank
    ✭✭
    I played at launch and left due to many things. I came back last year and was pleased to see the progress the game has made. There are things I would fix/change, but overall I find this game to my liking now.

Passionate? Maybe on certain things, but overall I play for the immersion the game offers, and I am fervently hoping they don't add floating candy cane pets or similar garbage in the future or it will be my last log in. Some of the mounts are already over the top, but I can live with them as they are still more or less rare.

i really enjoy this games map content, it is quality and each one is worth the price to play imo. that being said however i am debating sto currently, they have over the top rewards for event's and log in, and all there story mission content and chapters are 100% Free. its a tough choice sometimes where to immerse into gaming and where to literally invest time and money.
    Edited by Subjectcrank on 21 January 2022 05:08
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Part of the reason I never played MMOs was the need for a subscription since ESO allows me to buy to play that is what I do , buying each new expansion and I haven't been disappointed yet, it has always been worth my money.

Now I do have ups and downs in my motivation to play, I tend to be burnt out on events pretty quickly, but I still enjoy slowing making my way through base game quests for the 3rd or 6th time.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    A few months ago I checked and I think I had over 9000 hours on my main, I think I have 4 anniversary cakes, missed the previous event so that’s five years. I have subbed for probably 4 years. I couldn’t do it without that craft bag since I do housing and master writs. I still buy the dlc with crowns because I convince myself that one day I might want to play without the sub, lol!

This is my first MMO, I came here from Oblivion and Skyrim. My second multiplayer game ever.

Since you are a long time player, I hope your guide would follow the chronological timeline of Harborage quests in the player’s proper alliance, faction quests, FG quests, etc. then the chapters. So many new players get confused and want to do them in the right order and it’s really hard for them. (Well I am assuming that you feel the same way, maybe you don‘t.)
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Subjectcrank
    Subjectcrank
    ✭✭
    A few months ago I checked and I think I had over 9000 hours on my main, I think I have 4 anniversary cakes, missed the previous event so that’s five years. I have subbed for probably 4 years. I couldn’t do it without that craft bag since I do housing and master writs. I still buy the dlc with crowns because I convince myself that one day I might want to play without the sub, lol!

This is my first MMO, I came here from Oblivion and Skyrim. My second multiplayer game ever.

Since you are a long time player, I hope your guide would follow the chronological timeline of Harborage quests in the player’s proper alliance, faction quests, FG quests, etc. then the chapters. So many new players get confused and want to do them in the right order and it’s really hard for them. (Well I am assuming that you feel the same way, maybe you don‘t.)

Actually I do, there is a little info on chronological order of the game, but perhaps you can help with calrifying what is the best rout in those faction aspects. I always assumed once you do the the hooded lady cloak and finish the prison mission where it puts you to continue is where you should start or am I mistaken, or is it different for every faction? Which makes me think i should play as a Nord Warden due to there original start location changes once the story on there beginning island changes...
  • Lysette
    Lysette
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There are prepaid CCs though - eventually that would be a solution for you? A variety of banks are offering them and from the more global virtual payment providers I know that Skrill is offering those. I guess others might do as well. They do not require having a credit history with them.
    Edited by Lysette on 21 January 2022 10:43
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well over 10k hours and play every day so being fully subbed the whole time has been an easy choice. Very good game for my elf.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Mayrael
    Mayrael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the addon I have about 9500 hours in the game so I almost meet your criteria ;)
    Apart from occasional periods of playing without subscription since 2014 I always play as a subscriber, but more because I like than I have to.
    I may not have as rich a history in MMOs as OP, but ESO is my 7th game of its kind and I can definitely say it's unrivaled. Considering the comparison between the free and subscription versions, I can definitely say that despite the numerous negative voices, the micropayment system and cash store is one of the least cumbersome I've encountered so far.

Let me just give you an example of the limitations I've encountered in other games without an active subscription:
    1. Only active subscribers can use the auction stores (our guild stores).
    2. The amount of crafting materials collected by yourself is limited by a daily limit.
    3. All PvE dungeons have a cool down of a few hours each.
    4. Equipment upgrade limits.
    5. Only in the cash store are the best possible upgrades available.

Even these 5 examples show how friendly ESO's approach is to playing for free. Other than a few issues that are more about cosmetic issues and convenience of play, playing for free in ESO is unlimited and very but very enjoyable. What's more, some of the restrictions can be bypassed, e.g.
    1. Transmute stations or crafting stations from the DLC can be used by someone who has them at home. You can buy that station from other player to. No DLC required.
    2. Overland DLC sets can be bought in the store.
    3. You just have to buy a subscription for a month, get the sets you like from dungeons and then you can reconstruct them without a subscription.
    4. Transmute stones limit? You just need to complete one set and then every time you are close to the limit, you can use transmute station to reconstruct an item from this set (the important thing is that it should cost the minimum amount of transmute stones, which is 25) and when you need it, you can always destroy the item to get back 25 transmute stones. If we devote one character to it, we can have up to 5000 transmute stones without sub.

ESO is a really great and friendly game that does not force you to buy a subscription but rather tries to encourage you to buy it by showing how much it has to offer.

Say no to Toxic Casuals!
    I am doing my best, but I am not a native speaker, sorry.

"Difficulty scaling is desperately needed. 9 years. 6 paid expansions. 24 DLCs. 40 game changing updates including A Realm Reborn-tier overhaul of the game including a permanent CP160 gear cap and ridiculous power creep thereafter. I'm sick and tired of hearing about Cadwell Silver&Gold as a "you think you do but you don't"-tier deflection to any criticism regarding the lack of overland difficulty in the game." - @AlexanderDeLarge
  • Chips_Ahoy
    Chips_Ahoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped paying sub a long time ago and as long as I have my own guild bank, I don't need sub.

The craftbag is no longer enough for me, after 9 years ESO+ needs a change.
  • RicAlmighty
    RicAlmighty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chips_Ahoy wrote: »

9 years? The game itself hasn't even been out for 8 (7 on console) and the craft bag wasn't added till 2016. Let's not over-exaggerate things

Edited by RicAlmighty on 21 January 2022 21:19
  • Chips_Ahoy
    Chips_Ahoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chips_Ahoy wrote: »

9 years? The game itself hasn't even been out for 8 (7 on console) and the craft bag wasn't added till 2016. Let's not over-exaggerate things

Just now I realize that I made a mistake instead of putting 6 I put 9, key error.

[snip]

[Edited for Baiting]
    Edited by Psiion on 22 January 2022 03:15
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings all,

After removing a few Off-Topic posts, we would like to remind everyone to keep the discussion on the original threads topic, and to keep the Forum's Community Rules in mind moving forward. While we understand disagreements and misunderstandings are natural, Baiting, Flaming, or otherwise insulting other members is never acceptable on the ESO Forums.
    Edited by Psiion on 22 January 2022 03:24
    Staff Post
  • francesinhalover
    francesinhalover
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probs 500h on eso.
    Edited by francesinhalover on 23 January 2022 03:29
    I am @fluffypallascat pc eu if someone wants to play together
    Shadow strike is the best cp passive ever!
  • MentalxHammer
    MentalxHammer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I salute you.

I have a little over 8k hours in this game, probably half of that time was spent without ESO plus. I currently have ESO plus mainly because I want to support the game, but can totally live without it. I have made the decision not to craft or participate in housing to manage inventory without ESO plus.
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, how, I can barely get an hour or 2 to play on weekdays. On weekends, I'm doing all the stuff I should have been doing during the week but couldn't because I'm exhausted from work and the 2 hrs it takes for me to get there and back.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, how, I can barely get an hour or 2 to play on weekdays. On weekends, I'm doing all the stuff I should have been doing during the week but couldn't because I'm exhausted from work and the 2 hrs it takes for me to get there and back.

Not to speak for Sylver, but they've posted it plenty of times. They're 70+ and retired. So, whole different ballgame.
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • Sevalaricgirl
    Sevalaricgirl
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Not to speak for Sylver, but they've posted it plenty of times. They're 70+ and retired. So, whole different ballgame.

Well, I don't come to this forum often so...
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

Well, I don't come to this forum often so...

I meant that in a "they've said it before, so I don't think they'll mind somebody else saying" it way.

It'd be nice to be retired and able to spend 7+ hours a day in ESO :smile:
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Actually I do, there is a little info on chronological order of the game, but perhaps you can help with calrifying what is the best rout in those faction aspects. I always assumed once you do the the hooded lady cloak and finish the prison mission where it puts you to continue is where you should start or am I mistaken, or is it different for every faction? Which makes me think i should play as a Nord Warden due to there original start location changes once the story on there beginning island changes...

Well I haven’t leveled a new toon in a long time, I guess that is the Benefactor quest? I would recommend that first, that is the Harborage main storyline. It made so much more sense starting out in Coldharbour. There is a location to find that questgiver in each faction, but the difficult thing is that if a player starts in one of the dlc zones they had to work their way back to their faction zones. Unless they changed that recently, of course.

EDIT: just to clarify if that was confusing to anyone, originally your character started out in Coldharbour at the beginning of the game and landed in their faction starter zone automatically after the Wailing Prison. The Benefactor quest was added later.
    Edited by katanagirl1 on 23 January 2022 05:49
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA