The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Please answer honestly

• AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, I prefer to live in ignorance
    I thought that the agreed-upon theory was that the Dwemer basically became the "skin" of the Numidium.

That's just one of the many theories, not sure how many even agree with it. There are many theories - such as Vivec achieving CHIM, the Thalmor want to deactivate the towers that keep Nirn bound to the mortal plane etc - that some take as absolute canon when it's really not the case.
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's possible that we'll eventually learn more about what happened to the Dwemer, but I think that ESO is the wrong place for that to happen. Why? Because it's set during the earliest time period of all TES games, and no one in the other games knows what happened to them, so it wouldn't really make sense for us to discover the fate of the Dwemer in ESO and have it all be conveniently forgotten or lost again so the later-set games still make sense on that subject.

Besides, ZOS has already said that Bethesda told them they can never try to resolve that issue, or words to that effect.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • Kordai
    Kordai
    ✭✭✭
    For me maybe some more speculating type quests or npc's. Maybe another dwemer that was on another plane like that morrowind spider mech guy. Something that adds to the mystery without actually revealing all.

Or like a storyline where we find where they initially went but there's nothing left but ruins and we have to try and find them across different planes but never actually find them, just clues.
  • Vindold
    Vindold
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that the agreed-upon theory was that the Dwemer basically became the "skin" of the Numidium.

Well, this theory is pretty much doubtful just because Falion(Skyrim, Morthal) told us that he even met Dwemer.
    Edited by Vindold on 15 October 2021 18:25
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have researched the topic, and have heard Ted Peterson say the Dwemer were originally written to have disappeared long ago, and why they disappeared was not at the time of their initial conception to be explored, but instead left to future writers of the Elder Scrolls to expand on them if more games were produced. They were originally simply a dungeon theme.

So, on one hand I feel the mystery is so much of what makes the Dwemer intriguing, and all the conjecture that has be written into the lore is fantastic.

On the other hand I think a very interesting story could be written about what really happened, and perhaps even a return of the Dwemer to Tamrel, yet if such scenario were produced I feel the lore would both benefit, and suffer for the loss of the mystery.

Overall I believe it would be best to never fully resolve the mystery.

Edited by jlmurra2 on 15 October 2021 18:36
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This poll is backfiring real good. Explaining the dwemer could be as bad as that horrible experience from the alien franchise explaining the space jockey (so called "engineers").
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • Caligamy_ESO
    Caligamy_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZeroDPS wrote: »
    As we all know Dwemers disappeared long ago and NOBODY knows why and how. So do you really want to know how they disappeared, what was the cause. Who wiped them, or maybe they still alive(in which I strongly believe).

So do you guys want to know this in upcoming chapters?

ZOS was going to explore the dwemer but they were told not to by executives over at parent company

"Todd Howard Didn't Want to Explore the Dwemer in Elder Scrolls Online"

https://gamerant.com/elder-scrolls-online-dwemer-cut/#:~:text=In a recent interview, Bethesda's,enigma in the game's universe.

tbh it's a relief

Just imagine it would probably be about some dwemer outcast princess who's been cast out of her rightful position by some random interloper who dies to light attacks after 5 hours of buildup go fetch quests.
    Edited by Caligamy_ESO on 15 October 2021 18:39
    love is love
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kordai wrote: »
    For me maybe some more speculating type quests or npc's. Maybe another dwemer that was on another plane like that morrowind spider mech guy. Something that adds to the mystery without actually revealing all.

Or like a storyline where we find where they initially went but there's nothing left but ruins and we have to try and find them across different planes but never actually find them, just clues.

Yes, that would be nice. We already have something like that in ESO (spoilers ahead)
    in Wrothgar I think where we find a dying 'Dwemer' called the Harmonic Auditor attempting to transfer his soul into a Dwarven Centurion. We don't know if he's really a Dwemer though because UESP states he's a High Elf. Could it be that the Dwemer is the soul inside the High Elf body speaking through it? It's left ambiguous in the end.
  • jlmurra2
    jlmurra2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This poll is backfiring real good. Explaining the dwemer could be as bad as that horrible experience from the alien franchise explaining the space jockey (so called "engineers").

Yeah, I actually just watched Prometheus for the first time this past weekend. I felt the film made the Alien franchise make much less sense. It is a perfect example of a story being better due to what the viewer/player does not know.

Edited by jlmurra2 on 16 October 2021 01:33
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes we need to know where are they!!!
    i would love a small side arc where maybe Sotha Sil knows the truth and we get to see flashbacks of what happened to them. like maybe something starts happening in one of the dwemer ruins, and Sotha shows up and we go on a little time travel quest just to find the truth. as an observer. not to change the outcome. with some ambiguous "maybe they'll return one day"
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ignorance is bliss and I am a happy camper!
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    i would love a small side arc where maybe Sotha Sil knows the truth and we get to see flashbacks of what happened to them. like maybe something starts happening in one of the dwemer ruins, and Sotha shows up and we go on a little time travel quest just to find the truth. as an observer. not to change the outcome. with some ambiguous "maybe they'll return one day"

Why would Sotha Sil share it with us though? Even when we worked together in Clockwork City and Summerset he was really secretive. Maybe Hermaeus Mora would be more interested. Not going to happen though.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they told us already in Morrowind that they were taken to another plane of existence.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I really want is exactly what we currently have, more specifically enough pieces that it gets a discussion going and where individuals get to make up their own minds about what happened.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jlmurra2 wrote: »
    I have researched the topic, and have heard Ted Peterson say the Dwemer were originally written to have disappeared long ago, and why they disappeared was not at the time of their initial conception to be explored, but instead left to future writers of the Elder Scrolls to expand on them if more games were produced. They were originally simply a dungeon theme.

So, on one hand I feel the mystery is so much of what makes the Dwemer intriguing, and all the conjecture that has be written into the lore is fantastic.

On the other hand I think a very interesting story could be written about what really happened, and perhaps even a return of the Dwemer to Tamrel, yet if such scenario were produced I feel the lore would both benefit, and suffer for the loss of the mystery.

Overall I believe it would be best to never fully resolve the mystery.

Yeah, I think Ted said that while they never fleshed them out themselves, it wasn't intentional to make their fate a mystery. I suppose Todd Howard saw it as an opportunity for a bit of mystery and intrigue after the fact. Maybe not even until after Morrowind had it solidified in their minds that they would remain an enigma.

Its kind of like people wishing for Atmora and Akaviiri, etc. I get the appeal, but I feel like it misses the point that these elements are meant to serve backdrop, because "Tamriel is the main character". I think that if you've run out of ideas for Tamriel, the story has probably run its course.

And what would we do with them? Its like the Psijic Order. Before Summerset, there was all this amazing space for speculating at the depths of their power or wisdom. But then we see them, and really they're just all like Joe Blow doing dumb human mistakes and having dumb human dramas. You could literally reskin the Psijic story with pretty much any of the mundane races, or even any fantasy people from any random franchise and they would gain or lose nothing but the name. It was shallow and the mystery was all dried up and there was nothing really special to them. So something that had been surrounded in awe and mystery turns out to be this bumbling sect whose unifying quality displayed by all the major players we meet is openness to manipulation and complete LACK of wisdom or foresight.

I don't want Dwarves dressed in random qing-dynasty garb like some formulaic attempt at trope-reversal, flying in the face of what we have seen and what we already know of them, their character or their environment cause "reasons". I don't want Kagrenac dressed in a faux biker-vest accompanied by lame metal music because "lol kagrenac daddy".

Right now we can dream that Akaviiri is full of snake people or argue that its just a metaphor; wonder whether Lyg is just inverted Tamriel or if the Dwemer were transformed into pure tonal energy. That, to me, is far cooler better than Joe Blow and his bumbling, mundane dramas.
    Edited by Supreme_Atromancer on 15 October 2021 20:31
  • ArchangelIsraphel
    ArchangelIsraphel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Your poll needs an option for not really minding either way- I'm not keen on divulging their secrets overtly nor do I desperately want to keep them a secret, although I do think that something would be lost to the writers if they were fully revealed because keeping them a secret that other characters make conjectures about is a good story device that can be fun for a writer to play off of.
    Legends never die
    They're written down in eternity
    But you'll never see the price it costs
    The scars collected all their lives
    When everything's lost, they pick up their hearts and avenge defeat
    Before it all starts, they suffer through harm just to touch a dream
    Oh, pick yourself up, 'cause
    Legends never die
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    jaws343 wrote: »
    I said yes. But I don't want that answer to come from ESO. I want that answer to come from the single player games.

That's why I said no. I want it in the single player games, not here. I DO want more dwemer content, I'd even like to meet an isolated Dwemer like in tes 3 just to get another little peak at Dwemer. But I don't think this is the right game to reveal what happened to them at all.
    This, even something like an time travel quest chain there you went back to the time the Dwemer was around.
    But its not an problem who it make much sense to solve.
    And some quest solving the issue for good not only kill it and we all know they probably will reboot it down the line as they run out of low hanging fruits.

But its goes deeper, as far as we know none has been able to interact with dead Dwemer's even the ones dying before the event. And lots of people would be interested in Dwemer magic and technology.
    People like Vanus Galerion, Mannimarco and the Psijic Order was not able to solve this. I could imagine some Daedra being interested in this to.

Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I remember something that got destroyed and people thinking 'where is it now' and being told 'it's nowhere', but it was found that it was actually now in many states at once and unrecognizable.
  • The3sFinest
    The3sFinest
    ✭✭✭✭
    Urvoth wrote: »
    Imagine thinking the lack of lore and explanation is better than a real, quality story

Imagine having no imagination.
  • propertyOfUndefined
    propertyOfUndefined
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they should remain shrouded in mystery because that adds so much to the setting — similar to how the mysteries of the roman empire must have been to the english during the dark ages.
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they should remain shrouded in mystery because that adds so much to the setting — similar to how the mysteries of the roman empire must have been to the english during the dark ages.

Or the White Walkers in ASOIAF/GOT before *cough* season 8. Fan theories are always more compelling than the real 'reveal'.
  • Saxhleel
    Saxhleel
    ✭✭✭
    Look, not ever. It should remain a mystery. There is a giant quest in Morrowind where Arch-Mage Trebonius Artorius sends you off to discover the mystery of the Dwemer. Spoiler Alert, it ends nowhere. If Yagrum Bagarn has no idea how his race disappeared, no one should. It should remain like this.
    "What a fool you are. I'm a god. How can you kill a god? What a grand and intoxicating innocence. How could you be so naive? There is no escape. No Recall or Intervention can work in this place. Come. Lay down your weapons. It is not too late for my mercy" — Dagoth Ur

• Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TES3 explained very well what happened to the Dwemer and why. The only difference between TES3 and ESO is that TES3 had Dwemer appear as ghosts and in Mournhold you could interact and talk to one of them, while in ESO you can overhear a complaint of a Necromancer in Fang Lair that he is able to conjure different spirits but never managed to get access to a dwemer ghost. From this we also know exactly what they look like.
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    There are very precise descriptions of why and how the Dwemer disappeared.
    Search about "red mountain war", "heart of Lorkhan", "Kagrenac's tools"... or play TES III.

Are they still alive ?
    Probably not, as the most believable theory is that their bodies burned in a rush of magic energy.

Do they still exist ?
    This is the real question, whether Kagrenac's plans worked and Dwemers reached an "upper plane of existence", of if they just burnt in the process. But no one can confirm, as once you reach an upper plane, why would you go back down ?

In TES3 you could find ash in the places Dwemer where when they disappeared and the last surviving Dwemer told that he was far away, making him uneffected. You also had Dwemer appear as angry ghosts (except for the one in Mournhold you could talk to) which indicates they where all burned to death given that a higher existence would likely not leave any ghosts behind.
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really in ignorance, but in mystery of the super-position of multiple explanations. I have my own theory though, they almost achieved CHIM but couldn't see both the wheel and the tower, so they failed and that's why they imploded and disappeared.
  • oldbobdude
    oldbobdude
    ✭✭✭✭
    I answered honestly. The poll was biased however. I don’t think I’m ignorant because I don’t agree with you. :/
  • belial5221_ESO
    belial5221_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Xebov wrote: »
    TES3 explained very well what happened to the Dwemer and why. The only difference between TES3 and ESO is that TES3 had Dwemer appear as ghosts and in Mournhold you could interact and talk to one of them, while in ESO you can overhear a complaint of a Necromancer in Fang Lair that he is able to conjure different spirits but never managed to get access to a dwemer ghost. From this we also know exactly what they look like.
    MerguezMan wrote: »
    There are very precise descriptions of why and how the Dwemer disappeared.
    Search about "red mountain war", "heart of Lorkhan", "Kagrenac's tools"... or play TES III.

Are they still alive ?
    Probably not, as the most believable theory is that their bodies burned in a rush of magic energy.

Do they still exist ?
    This is the real question, whether Kagrenac's plans worked and Dwemers reached an "upper plane of existence", of if they just burnt in the process. But no one can confirm, as once you reach an upper plane, why would you go back down ?

In TES3 you could find ash in the places Dwemer where when they disappeared and the last surviving Dwemer told that he was far away, making him uneffected. You also had Dwemer appear as angry ghosts (except for the one in Mournhold you could talk to) which indicates they where all burned to death given that a higher existence would likely not leave any ghosts behind.

There's a hole in your theory....what if the ghosts were just dwemer that died before they all disappeared.They would not have met same fate as the rest so could be around in places.I'm sure lots of dwemer died before the great disappearance.
    Also,maybe dwemer cannot be summoned through necromancy in same way as other beings,maybe they are blocked by tonal magic,or need tonal magic to be summoned.

They'll probably drop hints once in a blue moon jsut to make us wonder more.Or maybe they plan on a game based on the dwemer disappearance,and trying to keep it a secret so it's a big suprise when they decide to make it in a few decades,hehe.
    Edited by belial5221_ESO on 15 October 2021 22:23
  • bmnoble
    bmnoble
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Considering the question is still not answered in the single player games which are set long after ESO's setting, I don't think we should get the answer in ESO. The Tribunal probably knows though.

Would much rather see it explored in depth in a single player Elder Scrolls game.
  • AVaelham
    AVaelham
    ✭✭✭✭
    bmnoble wrote: »
    The Tribunal probably knows though.

2023 Eastern Morrowind Chapter: *holding Almalexia at gunpoint to give us the answer* :D
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes we need to know where are they!!!
    Imagine thinking the lack of lore and explanation is better than a real, quality story

So speculating is better than story telling and ignorance > knowledge for you? Why even care about the lore at all if it's just "imagination" or hypothesis? You can have quality stories with room for interpretation, you know. Would you really like a lazy "oh they disappeared" explanation over some epic quest chain or discovery process with actual implications and significance?
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

So speculating is better than story telling and ignorance > knowledge for you? Why even care about the lore at all if it's just "imagination" or hypothesis? You can have quality stories with room for interpretation, you know. Would you really like a lazy "oh they disappeared" explanation over some epic quest chain or discovery process with actual implications and significance?

I would. Because there's a lot else that can be given form in stories and lore, and the dwemer need to remain a mystery.