The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Why not make the game much more understandable...

• Ksariyu
    Ksariyu
    ✭✭✭✭
    YES, my dude. Thank you. I really do hope they consider these changes, as the current setup makes very little sense. The only thing I could see them avoiding is the CP change, simply because it's probably so ingrained into every aspect of looting and crafting that would make it a pain to fix.
    Magdalina wrote: »
    Basically all ESO dps meta already is either stacking spell/weapon crit or stacking spell/weapon damage, we don't need this simplified even more.

I use this argument every time someone tries to tell me merging the stats would "dumb the game down;"

It's already there.

EVERYBODY is just stacking one or the other, so what difference does it actually make? It's like, "Well I want to use Uppercut so I guess I'm putting all my stats into Weapon damage/crit and only upgrading Stamina." Gee, that was a real complex decision to make.

• UGotBenched91
    UGotBenched91
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They need to make questlines more understandable. I tried getting my dad (67) to play the game but he quit shortly after as there's so many quests and NPC's being thrown at you at once. It can be overwhelming for new players. It would be nice if they color coded questlines to assist to get players on track.
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Milchbart wrote: »
    Tandor wrote: »
    Please don't trivialise the game any more! It's not like the internet doesn't have places you can go to look up the things you don't understand. This forum, for one!

A game SHOULD NOT have to rely on third party sources to explain their own mechanics, and players should not have to go look up elsewhere but in the game to understand them.

Besides, if its so easy, please explain yourself. I'd be very surprised if anyone can explain in simple (and complete) words what "2629" critical chance actually means in ESO. I couldn't.

That's an easy question .. if it is not only rhetorical I suggest visiting the eso build editor where you can easily explore such things ... for example there is a detailed formula for this "Complete Formula for Spell Critical" under this url https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor

It wasn't rhetorical. It was a true question. Which implies a true, direct answer and explanation, and not being referred to a third party site or equation or whatever. I asked what it means - NOT where I can - eventually - learn it.
    Apart from understanding it myself, I want to know if the people who pretend it's crystal clear and easy have actually understood it.

• anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »
    they can also remove enormous amount of materials. Does anyone know what Silverweave material is? Or Sanded Mahogany? Materials beyond lvl 50 are super pointless. Also remove (or replace) crazy useless recepies like lvl 10 Сhamomile Tea and lvl 5 COFFEE. Nobody use it anyway. New players don't give a sh about that drinks, vet players don't give a sh about that drinks 9000 times harder.

I think the list of recipes is one of the most creative and fabulous things in ESO (regardless of their usefulness for actual gameplay) so please don't speak for everyone, just speak for yourself.

• Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest not making the game too easy either.
    There's an audience out there that enjoy theory building as is. Like all things, if generalized in a simplified manner, it will lose it's appeal.

Perhaps more videos/content from our producer concerning builds and build making would be good for open communication. I think that's more appropriate.
    Edited by Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo on 14 October 2021 15:57
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Btw i forgot to add: i actually prefer spell and physical resistance separate. However they already hybridized all the resistance bonuses so it's not like we can build for a particular resistance, like a character with huge protection against spells but weak against physical attacks. The two are already basically the same stat, my characters have about equal of the two.

There is no reason to have two different types of resistance if you cannot build for a specific one.
  • ZeroDPS
    ZeroDPS
    ✭✭✭✭
    To everyone, especially new players.

- Since you're hybridizing everything, remove spell damage and weapon damage and just introduce a stat called something like offensive power or something.
    The amount of players who think Major Sorcery increases their skills' damage by 20% would surprise you.

- Remove all the huge nonsense numbers like 660 resistance and 219 critical, make those 1% resistance and 1% critical. They make no sense to a new player. How does Precise trait simply provide 7.2% critical? Since it can do it, why cannot Major Prophecy just provide 12% instead of "2629"?
    127 Crit Resistance? 1487 Penetration? What are these?

- Remove "cp160". This is a useless number leftover from the veteran ranks and it has no meaning for a new player, not intuitive. Just make the item level cap 50 and people can start building as soon as they reach CP levels, instead of the nonsense 160.

There have been some good steps towards this, like hybridizing spell resistance and physical resistance into "Armor", that is a good start. But there is much more to do if the devs want the stats to be more new player friendly.

agree for one thousand percent
  • Chips_Ahoy
    Chips_Ahoy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are assuming that all new players care about percentages and damage numbers.

I am not a new player, and I did not care about the number and percentages when i was a new player and they still do not import me now, it is the first thing I remove from the UI.

you have the option to use them... or not.
  • MrBrownstone
    MrBrownstone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chips_Ahoy wrote: »
    You are assuming that all new players care about percentages and damage numbers.

I am not a new player, and I did not care about the number and percentages when i was a new player and they still do not import me now, it is the first thing I remove from the UI.

you have the option to use them... or not.

You completely misunderstood it.
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Completely agree OP.
    They have done so much to streamline stuff but the numbers and data could be more new-player friendly for sure.
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    - Since you're hybridizing everything, remove spell damage and weapon damage and just introduce a stat called something like offensive power or something.
    I think combining the two would cause problems with some skill scaling. (for example some magicka skills scaling only with spell damage and not weapon damage).
    - Remove all the huge nonsense numbers like 660 resistance and 219 critical, make those 1% resistance and 1% critical. They make no sense to a new player. How does Precise trait simply provide 7.2% critical? Since it can do it, why cannot Major Prophecy just provide 12% instead of "2629"?
    127 Crit Resistance? 1487 Penetration? What are these?
    Agreed. Everytime I have to see how much actual critical chance I'm getting from a set, I need to open the calculator and divide that crit value by 219. It's silly.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • jasonhunter
    jasonhunter
    ✭✭✭
    I'm just glad they stayed with CP160 and didnt re-scale the gear. Imagine if you could only get the top level gear when reaching CP2000 or higher.
  • Jman100582
    Jman100582
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ok, so some people for whatever reason think that changing a sets bonus from saying gives 613 crit to "gives 3% crit chance" trivializes the game? Which is absurd. There are so many things in this game that need to be explained better. Like how does a player discern from what is a "multiplicative" buff or an "additive" buff? How is a player suppose to know how crit rating works when it says 613? What does that translate to? What is considered a martial melee ability? Theres so much fluff in the wording of some sets and abilities and its simply UNNECCESSARY. Who wants to calculate by hand the total amount of crit dmg you have? Why doesn't the in-game character sheet just tell you?

Theres lots of simple, quality of life features that zos could implement by changing the wordings on sets and abilities. There's zero reason why they shouldn't
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just glad they stayed with CP160 and didnt re-scale the gear. Imagine if you could only get the top level gear when reaching CP2000 or higher.

Yeah. One of the (many) reasons I left WoW (never played after Q1 2013) and RIFT (never played after Q2 2016). Only so much chasing something that never stopped changing I could be bothered with. Not fun.
  • mayasunrising
    mayasunrising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess I don't feel the game needs to be dumbed down, but I do agree with the OP in that it just makes more sense to list crit chance and such as % for the players and keep the numbers for the calculation behind the scenes. I mean, for the most part, more is better, but I'd just rather see that represented as a percentage. Either way tho, I love the game.
    "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom." Anaïs Nin

“There’s a difference between wanting to be looked at and wanting to be seen." Amanda Palmer

“A game is an opportunity to focus our energy, with relentless optimism, at something we’re good at (or getting better at) and enjoy. In other words, gameplay is the direct emotional opposite of depression.” Jane McGonigal

“They'll tell you you're too loud, that you need to wait your turn and ask the right people for permission. Do it anyway." Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭
    Well, me as a kind a new player, I can say that I perfectly understand them phisical attack and magical attack, is very common thing in MMO

Something which is ununderstable is the many stats which comes under critical damage.. there all are "0"????? Somebody has there any point??

Also would be nice having spelling casting attack speed stats,
    And as something revolutionary: DPS stat
    Edited by HyekAr on 17 October 2021 11:55
  • GreenhaloX
    GreenhaloX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ESO is quite complex and expansive with so many things to do and know. 20 or 30 years ago without internet, I'd had been quite fluster. However, with the ever expanding internet and Youtube still kicking, anything about this game can be research and made understandable.

Yes.. I was quite intimidated when I first started many, many moons ago, since ESO is the first MMO I had ever ventured into. I had played single player games for such a long time, and I had started playing ESO as I would any previous single player games; sololy, and not knowing or caring about all the nuances about crafting or sets. It wasn't until after I had reached V16 level and completed the final main quest storyline and joined my first guild that I had learned I was playing ESO all the wrong ways. Ha ha.

Well, thereafter, I had to learn all that is to know about crafting and research, different sets pieces and procs, and the proper ways to conduct combat and rotations; amongst other things. That is where Youtube came in. I'd google or just check out whatever I need to know about ESO with the numerous players' videos explaining whatever and anything about ESO.

So, it isn't that difficult to figure out the many aspects of this game; if you have the time and mind to do the homework. Although, the thing that puzzles me with the game are the percentage of things and calculation involved for damage output, chance, crit, proc and whatnot. That is just too MiT stuff for me. I ain't no rocket scientist. I'm just a casual average Joe gamer. Ha ha
  • drunkendx
    drunkendx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Milchbart wrote: »
    whitecrow wrote: »
    Agreed. Five years on I still have no idea what some of this stuff means.

And of course that's ZOS' fault ... or maybe yours?

That's like saying I've had 10 years of Algebra at school and still don't understand it.

Sadly I have to agree here.

I'm fairly new, been playing less than a year, and I understand most of what OP is complaining about as being "hard to understand"...

Why do I understand it? Just paid attention now and then and I bothered to actually read guide or 2.
    FFS it's an MMORPG made in second decade of 21st century, guides are not bonus, they are mandatory reading if you wanna understand mechanics...

Now if people actually bothered with guides now and then, we'd have less topics like this one.

EDIT: I'll just drop this here: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Online
    It's nice little site which answered every question I had about ESO.
    Edited by drunkendx on 17 October 2021 16:40
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sure, if you really want to learn how this game work, you can probably spend dozens of hours reading & watching all kind of guides. But lets be honest - how many people, especially new players, would do it, if they can choose games that are easier to understand.

Game where 1% of crit chance is 1% crit chance, not 219, so when you are taking crit set like Leviathan or MS, you will see that 5th bonus will give you 6,977% of crit chance (TBH i still don't know how rounding works in eso) not 1528, which for new player means nothing, and finally they see % in char info anyway xd

Game where 1% armour and 1% penetration are mutually excluding one another, so i can check without spreadsheet, how much pen tank provides and how much pen i need... Also, the fact that sometimes 1% is 500, sometimes 660, some monsters have 9100 resist, other 12100, other 18200 and sometimes they have different resistance for spell and different for physical... well, is not helping. I mean, idea of different values is great, but not when presented in 162641910472 format -_+

Game where spell power and weapon power can clearly tell me how much dmg or heal i can pull, without remembering that 1 point of magicka or stamina gives me 111 magicka or stamina, which will improve my skills dmg by 111/10,5, but only skills, because LA & HA have different coef... Also, costs and multiplications of bonuses are rather messy, and without eso builder it could be quite hard to establish how much your Redguard or Imperial weapon user with Battlefield Acrobat and discounting glyphs would need to pay to use the skill.

Also, i agree that CP 160 lock is a relict of the past and bad design. Sure, progression in RPG is important and crafting materials (which imho should give trait not lvl lock) do matter BUT the fact that new players cannot simply select a zone or dungs, make themselves a plan for nice sets and PROGRESS with those sets on an axis of Overland>Dungeon>DLC Dungeon>Arena>Trial sets, also adding mythic and crafting to the mix, is kinda... pointless. So new players must be joggling sets, constantly replacing one weapon with another, because of lvl penalty and in result struggle to collect 5 set bonuses and wait with arenas (that are probably the only thing in eso close to combat tutorial) till lvl 160 otherwise they will not get arena weapon, while experienced players don't give a kwama egg about it, cause they can simply reach 50 lvl within few hours and then automatically get access to 160CP stuff. Also, pvp campaing below 50, we love you at this moment xd

So, yeah, i am all into theorycrafting and as characters of my favourite tv series shout: "Power of the math!" XD but there is a quite thick line between making game worth engaging and "throw at them as many digits as you can, see how those n'wahs micromanage!"

Edited by Ippokrates on 18 October 2021 03:22
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly I don't think I've played a game in 20 years that didn't require online forums or a players guide to fully maximize my gameplay.

ESO is very complicated but it's also an advanced MMO. Go just start playing one of the other big boys with no primer and you'll see it's no different.

There are plenty of casual MMOs out there if that's what you need.
    Edited by DrSlaughtr on 18 October 2021 05:04
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Ezorus
    Ezorus
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, percentages would have always made more sense. And while leveling has never been fun is weird as *** to make it to max level (50) when in reality you are no where near there (CP 1000+).

New players these days see that CP160 mark but then theres CP2000 players running about. It would be a pain but makes more MMO logic if either max level would have gone up each expansion or the gear CP