The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Nice Reminder that Dragons Suck!

FlopsyPrince
FlopsyPrince
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
- Instant kill abilities that give no notification ahead of time. (May be lag, but that still interrupts the game.
- Long times between spawns.
- Poor wayshrine placement so it is far too easy for the dragon to get killed before you can get there.

Didn't the devs think of these?
PC
PS4/PS5
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The instant kill abilities are all pretty well telegraphed. The DoT that deals hella damage unless you purge it is kinda rough, but otherwise I feel like dragons scale well with more players involved thanks to the 1-shots.

And yeah, the Northern Elsweyr ones are pretty slow during the event, but outside of it they're not as bad due to lower traffic.
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The instant kill abilities are all pretty well telegraphed. The DoT that deals hella damage unless you purge it is kinda rough, but otherwise I feel like dragons scale well with more players involved thanks to the 1-shots.

And yeah, the Northern Elsweyr ones are pretty slow during the event, but outside of it they're not as bad due to lower traffic.

Perhaps they are to you, but I died earlier tonight 2 seconds after I arrived at a dragon. No ground effects or frost in the air, just instant death.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • robpr
    robpr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps they are to you, but I died earlier tonight 2 seconds after I arrived at a dragon. No ground effects or frost in the air, just instant death.

They are laggy as hell, you simply took some damage that registered and rendered ground effect later. Happened to me as well to the first dragon I arrived after logging in. Rest of them should be fine.
    Just do any damage to them to be credited as kill, so cast anything as long you are in range.
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    robpr wrote: »

They are laggy as hell, you simply took some damage that registered and rendered ground effect later. Happened to me as well to the first dragon I arrived after logging in. Rest of them should be fine.
    Just do any damage to them to be credited as kill, so cast anything as long you are in range.

I hate doing that, but I pretty much zoom in, do some damage and then run outside range to maybe get a bit more damage, though much less than I think I should!
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    [snip]

That is a horrid attitude.

Dragons were poorly designed for the reasons I noted.

I don't raid or do MA/vMA now because I am not at that level, but those are specialized content, not general open world bosses.

The one boss in Southern Elseweyr whose disciples nuke you come in a close bad second.

[edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 23 July 2021 13:27
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Skyrim Dragons are better - more lively and animated

but alas this is not Skyrim
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Mechanics. Do you know if you move 2 steps in - you avoid crazy damage? Or - run a Level 4 skill to Purge - then, you’re good?

[snip]

S.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on 23 July 2021 13:24
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol, dragons are another example where it’s clear that ZOS hates stam melee builds.

There is a razor thin circle around the dragon where you are close enough in range to hit it but just far enough to avoid the giant circle of fire under them.

You have to be fast to block the wing thrash too.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you think dragons are bad try the fire mage WB in Southern Elsweyr, impossible to solo while I can hold my own against a dragon for a while.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Syrusthevirus187
    Syrusthevirus187
    ✭✭✭✭
    They are so extremely laggy. Everyone is a black shadow the entire fight and the dragons animations are non-existent
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Either lag or not understanding of simple mechanics, dragons themselves are fine for making overland at least bit more engaging. Also judging it on event is pretty hilarious, it's a 10 sec fights or a disconnect from the server.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me it is really simple. Are dragons fun? For me the answer is no so I pretty much ignore them. Simple. :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • TwinStripeUK
    TwinStripeUK
    ✭✭✭
    robpr wrote: »

^^This^^

I've often been killed and then seen the ground AoE effect trigger during the recap

Plus, you can indeed hit them with a single light attack, retreat and still get the credit/XP (and during the event this is as close as a lot of players are getting due to the slow spawns and quick kill rates)
  • Lady_Galadhiel
    Lady_Galadhiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you have done enough dragons you know the mechanics of each,they aren't sunspire dragons lol
    Contrariwise, if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.Lewis Carroll
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    At least on two occasions this one can’t move or use skills attacks. Just got stuck there whilst Merri/Bastian yelled useless advice.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    [snip]

That is a horrid attitude.

Dragons were poorly designed for the reasons I noted.

I don't raid or do MA/vMA now because I am not at that level, but those are specialized content, not general open world bosses.

The one boss in Southern Elseweyr whose disciples nuke you come in a close bad second.

[edited to remove quote]

Nah it was just a joke. Wasn't trying to troll.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know, I find them all right, and I have killed them in droves because I'm a s****r for the furniture leads they drop.

Soul Tear can be rough at times but more often than not there is a friendly, neighbourly Templar around to help with that so I don't usually slot Purge. If it happens that there isn't one around then I fit the skill in, no big deal.

Regardless, as it has been mentioned already every 'major' move is telegraphed (heck, a whole bunch of them are shouted, how is that for 'telegraphing'); if you are not 'getting the memo' is most likely due to the current exceptional circumstances making the encounters unusually busy and laggy.

I do think that N.Elsweyr could do with a couple of additional wayshrines for convenience and QoL though.
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't have the best reflexes but I can still manage to avoid most of the attacks. I've even learnt to see when a wingslap is coming.

Things that still get me sometimes are the molten spikes and wind storm.
  • Blood_again
    Blood_again
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, almost every dragon attack is easy predictable and avoidable.
    Dragon looks aside or back before hitting with wing or tail. His "fusk" and fire/ice cones are telegraphed. Heavy bite is marked. All their casts are easy recognizable.

So the main cause of players' death is "don't pay attention to dragon's action" as I could see.
    The second one is a blizzard which wasn't drawn for arriving players in time.

BUT there are two things I hate in battle with dragon:

1. Breath of storm dragon. Especially when he sits on a rock or a roof. Well, I can see he's staring at me on the ground, so I can roll-dodge behind his wing quite after hearing the breath-in sound. The breath from a rock is just insta-death. I dunno how to counter it.

2. Instant turning around of ice dragon. While I kite the dragon stepping aside (please don't ask me to tank him standing still in my dd build) it works for fire and storm ones. Icy guy just rotating-teleports himself and stare at me in a half a second. Well it could be a part of lore, that his ice pot-belly slides the ground without any friction. But really I guess it's an irritating bug. I've reported it a year ago but nothing was changed.
  • Ashryn
    Ashryn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do them enough you can understand their shouts.
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

lag with all the people around....you probably ran right into stupid without realizing lol

I'm trying to think of the 'insta kill' move mentioned here..the only thing that comes to mind is the direct shock dragon breath, the rest are AoE's, that annoying life drain shout or things that can be avoided
    Edited by waterfairy on 23 July 2021 15:44
  • waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lol, dragons are another example where it’s clear that ZOS hates stam melee builds.

There is a razor thin circle around the dragon where you are close enough in range to hit it but just far enough to avoid the giant circle of fire under them.

You have to be fast to block the wing thrash too.

attack the tail...it's usually outside their AoE and you only have to avoid the tail whip which is easy to spot and roll dodge/block
  • AlnilamE
    AlnilamE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whenever the dragon says "Wassuuuup?", purge, or run into a Templar circle and hit X so you don't die from the soul tear.
    The Moot Councillor
  • phileunderx2
    phileunderx2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lag at dragons right now is really bad. So I just try to tag it and stay alive. Often I will be at the dragon when he is near death but won't be able to tag. Very frustrating.
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The instant kill abilities are all pretty well telegraphed.

Nah, I admit sometimes I never saw a telegraph at all and I'd just turn to ash wondering what happened. I'm not sure if it was invisible (like siege sometimes is in cyrodiil) or what, but something funky is up there.
  • PrimeSeptim
    PrimeSeptim
    ✭✭✭
    Was it a frost dragon, by any chance? Those are the worst.
  • L_Nici
    L_Nici
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Spawnrate in Southern Elsweyr is great, so if you want to hunt dragons during this event, do it in south. They take instant turns and the shrines are way closer due to the region being way smaller.
    Edited by L_Nici on 23 July 2021 17:35
    A very special girl

PC|EU
  • SammyKhajit
    SammyKhajit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They also still keep saying “wax on!”
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you think dragons are bad try the fire mage WB in Southern Elsweyr, impossible to solo while I can hold my own against a dragon for a while.

He and his disciples all attack like WB+.
    PC
    PS4/PS5
  • FlopsyPrince
    FlopsyPrince
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Vigarr wrote: »

lag with all the people around....you probably ran right into stupid without realizing lol

I'm trying to think of the 'insta kill' move mentioned here..the only thing that comes to mind is the direct shock dragon breath, the rest are AoE's, that annoying life drain shout or things that can be avoided

It was almost certainly a breath or aura effect that did not seem clear until I was dead.
    PC
    PS4/PS5