The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Updates to Bastian and Mirri

Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
✭✭✭✭✭
I know that new companions will be added in the future, but I really have zero desire to adventure with anyone other than Bastian now.

Do you think along with new companions, updates will be added for those we already have?

Maybe new quests... new dialogue?
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New quests great :)

As reward another Bastian ultimate unlocked.
    Like for a real tank more armor with a 10 seconds Major Resolve or that 7000 now in de companion resto skill.
    Gives also more use for augmented and prolific.
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    He soon nerfando.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PigofSteel wrote: »
    He soon nerfando.

Ok then.
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure they will probably add on to them. The devs did say they didn't just want to throw in companions without fleshing them out. My only worry is that we'll get to a point where they introduce too many, or even sell them on the crown store, and then they'll all just be blanks for the most part.
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure hope so. I'd like to explore Bastian's past more and figure out what happened with his father - why was he a traitor? What was he hoping to accomplish? Was he framed perhaps? There's a lot of room in his backstory for us to dig deep into Breton court intrigue. And what happened with his mother? Was it just illness or something more sinister? I need to know these things!

I know less about Mirri but her mother was an adventurer and her father is a minor Hlaalu, so already we could have old adventuring trouble rearing its head as well as potential Great House drama.

I hope they do introduce romance later on with these existing companions and not bring us entirely new companions for romance, but I hope they make it properly optional. Like how you'd have to wear an Amulet of Mara to start getting interested comments in Skyrim, I would like us to be able to opt into a specific companion via progressive dialogue options and activities rather than have them all start expressing interest in us and us having to awkwardly turn them down except whoever we want to romance. I really don't want to have to have the "I only see you as my younger sister" talk with Mirri.
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • Marillea
    Marillea
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do hope it's going to be 1-2 new companions a year, maybe always dropping with a DLC/Chapter, so they can work on the new ones and old ones.

I fear the old ones will be forgotten, and the new ones will be "bad" if they are releasing too many too quickly.
    They have great potential, and they do require work to not be absolutely awful. I trust ZOS to take care, as they usually do make fairly interesting characters.

Seeing how many players do enjoy Bastian and Mirri though, I doubt they are going to be abandoned.
    Edited by Marillea on 22 June 2021 15:27
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    I sure hope so. I'd like to explore Bastian's past more and figure out what happened with his father - why was he a traitor? What was he hoping to accomplish? Was he framed perhaps? There's a lot of room in his backstory for us to dig deep into Breton court intrigue. And what happened with his mother? Was it just illness or something more sinister? I need to know these things!

I know less about Mirri but her mother was an adventurer and her father is a minor Hlaalu, so already we could have old adventuring trouble rearing its head as well as potential Great House drama.

I hope they do introduce romance later on with these existing companions and not bring us entirely new companions for romance, but I hope they make it properly optional. Like how you'd have to wear an Amulet of Mara to start getting interested comments in Skyrim, I would like us to be able to opt into a specific companion via progressive dialogue options and activities rather than have them all start expressing interest in us and us having to awkwardly turn them down except whoever we want to romance. I really don't want to have to have the "I only see you as my younger sister" talk with Mirri.

I moreso want to know the whole backstory of how he has Dragonknight abilities. We know that he got magic education once it was discovered he had the talent. But one doesn't just randomly attain Dragonknight abilities. So I wonder about that. The tattoes as well. What was he apart of?
  • ectoplasmicninja
    ectoplasmicninja
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vallisas wrote: »
    I moreso want to know the whole backstory of how he has Dragonknight abilities. We know that he got magic education once it was discovered he had the talent. But one doesn't just randomly attain Dragonknight abilities. So I wonder about that. The tattoes as well. What was he apart of?

Yeah, I want to know that too. Presumably he was sent to study with a master of Akaviri martial magic and the tattoos might be part of that, but there's probably a good story there because the Silvelles don't sound like they paid him particular attention so why there over the Daggerfall Mages Guild? It would also be super cool if you get unique dialogue with him if you're a Dragonknight yourself, but sadly they've never had class-specific dialogue in ESO before.
    PC NA, CP2000+Character creation is the true endgame.
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Well there is civilians/guards comments toward a Necromancer using abilities but that's about it I believe lol. But yeah hopefully, they add on to the questline with future content/expansion releases. I could see them doing it that way. Hopefully nothing put on the crown store, though sadly I can see them doing that as well. Would also be nice to see them get more abilities/new ultimates with future content releases. They most likely will get more voice work done of course, because these are not the only characters the two voice actors voice. I've personally have heard Bastian's VA on several other characters in the world before.
    Edited by vallisas on 22 June 2021 17:02
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cant wait for a templar companion, heros of the light :3
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My guess is we will likely get 1 per class at the very least
    1 with the q4 dlc, most likely 2 with the next chapter and the last one in q4 2022
    It seem to me a plausible release schedule
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would really like this. Sort of like how some new zones have quests with older characters, but with companions instead of quest NPCs.

Seems plausible?
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a fear they WON'T come out with new companions. I hope I'm wrong. I'd gladly pay for a few.

They've come out with features before that sounded wonderful, but then they never did anything more with them. Case in point: The grey alternate skin for the warden's bear. People expected them to do wonderful things with that system, and they NEVER did anything more with it. We could have had a polar bear skin, or a black bear skin, but nooo ....

And re-coloring a skin like that is super easy. It's just a simple retexture. I've done it, because I used to make mods for Sims 3 and 4.

Voicing and making a new companion would take a lot more work, which is why I'm afraid they won't bother with it (especially if it included a quest and the ability to make them houseguests).
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let Mirri's mom adopt me already!

I want Mirri as my sis
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, the ideal would be to be able to recruit ANY NPC as a companion, and to interact more meaningfully with them (perhaps even romances).

Of course, that may not be possible.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Elvenheart
    Elvenheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they are already working behind the scenes on companions that will represent the rest of the classes and probably are pretty far along with at least some of them. Just guessing, of course 🙂
  • notafinerughiss
    This one loves that swearing dark elf, but she wants a khajiit companion too, better be someone interesting likes Inigo <3
  • vallisas
    vallisas
    ✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    I have a fear they WON'T come out with new companions. I hope I'm wrong. I'd gladly pay for a few.

They've come out with features before that sounded wonderful, but then they never did anything more with them. Case in point: The grey alternate skin for the warden's bear. People expected them to do wonderful things with that system, and they NEVER did anything more with it. We could have had a polar bear skin, or a black bear skin, but nooo ....

And re-coloring a skin like that is super easy. It's just a simple retexture. I've done it, because I used to make mods for Sims 3 and 4.

Voicing and making a new companion would take a lot more work, which is why I'm afraid they won't bother with it (especially if it included a quest and the ability to make them houseguests).

A balanced amount, at the very least one of every alliance race. Fingers crossed on a beserker Nord male. But don't make it too overcrowded, that just means less dev time spent for everyone overall. And I hope that the two we have are fleshed out more. As it stands now. I like Bastian more but I can't say I really like either of their stories, both were pretty forgettable. So I think atleast some greater effort should be put into that.

I like that Bastian atleast has ties to one of the alliances holds. So maybe they could do something with that. As he's sure to know a lot of people in Daggerfall/High Rock.
    Edited by vallisas on 23 June 2021 04:22
  • Paulytnz
    Paulytnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Everyone keeps saying they expect one of each class. I expect one of each race and I am am sure we will get them. :)
    Edited by Paulytnz on 23 June 2021 06:10
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My predictions for companions.

Level cap increase (maybe 10 per year)

New ultimates to improve build diversity

Player crafters able to upgrade gear color

Improved drop rate for companion gear and gear added to chest loot pool

• Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is we will likely get 1 per class at the very least
    1 with the q4 dlc, most likely 2 with the next chapter and the last one in q4 2022
    It seem to me a plausible release schedule

Agreed
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    I'm hoping once they are done releasing a companion for all classes. We get a custom companion creator to choose race/gender/class.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway, back to my original comment...

I don’t want to travel anywhere without Bastian so I hope he gets updated somewhere down the line.
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, you asked people about updates to the companions and they answered your question with ideas about updates we would like to see and you just disregard them with
    delenn35 wrote: »

I don’t want to travel anywhere without Bastian so I hope he gets updated somewhere down the line.

Wow! Just wow.
  • Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    Snowy_Wyndra_Karn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, you asked people about updates to the companions and they answered your question with ideas about updates we would like to see and you just disregard them with

Wow! Just wow.

I'm not disregarding anyone I was just restating what I said. I've read every single comment.

Geez, calm down!!
  • Alphawolf01A
    Alphawolf01A
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Just wow.

I'm not disregarding anyone I was just restating what I said. I've read every single comment.

Geez, calm down!!

Was it really necessary to restate it?

Let alone with "Anyways" It comes across as a bit rude. Just saying.
  • Tinyfangs
    Tinyfangs
    ✭✭

Wow! Just wow.

Geez, calm down!!

Was it really necessary to restate it?

Let alone with "Anyways" It comes across as a bit rude. Just saying.

Issue we have with just written text. I personally found nothing rude about it though, I saw it more as that the OP has read it all, but for the OP him/herself the most important remains that Bastian gets an update, and clearly feels passionate about it. That is totally fair, I think, same as others dream about new companions. We all have our own priorities <3
  • M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want a quest added that allows us to slap the snot out of Mirri's grandfather.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • Tinyfangs
    Tinyfangs
    ✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »

You are scaring the bejesus out of me! Yes, that warden bear skin.. it can get one rather worried, considering that would have been so very easy, and even been a money maker if it would have been turned into a store feature (I would have spent on it >.>)

I think however that this is an insanely big update to the game, and if they do not expand on it, I think that will turn a lot of people VERY unhappy. The bear skin is a meh, but to leave us with only 2 companions, which do not really work for thieves or assassins, and if we do not even get hairstyle/hat options - I know it would start to grind on me bitterly. There is huge expectation within the player community that this will be build on further, and the devs no doubt will have taken this into consideration, and the consequences of disappointing their playerbase.

Guess we have to wait and see, hope for the best/be prepared for the worst - and enjoy the moment we got right now.