The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stop with these maintenance!!

• Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Levianna wrote: »
    In almost whole Europe people are unable to play literary whole maintenance-day, because it finishes at the evening and then its the time for gym, sex with husband/wife/bf/gf and sleep for everyone who aren't unemployed or little kids who doesn't go to school...

Um, I would rather say that the timing is perfect because normally people in Europe are at work between 10am and 6pm and free time (and time to play) starts after 6pm. And then you just have to set priorities, whether you prefer to go to the gym, to bed or not better play ESO... ;)

• WithMyLaserGun
    WithMyLaserGun
    ✭✭✭
    They could at the very least write the maintenance times with CET and GMT and not just the times that NA users use.
  • george66b14_ESO
    I understand maintenance, but I wonder why theirs seems to take longer then most other MMO's. Plus, they are doing it during an event and if you have people that can play for solid blocks only today around this time, it hurts them.

As a whole, something that needs to be done, but I understand why some are upset about it.
  • blkjag
    blkjag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just wait until it’s extend muh hahahhaa
  • Rast
    Rast
    ✭✭
    8 hour standard maintenance for 7 years old product is a sign of glaring incompetence from infrastructure team.

Anyone who deny that needs to realise that most of other similar services has ZERO minutes maintenances - they still happen in the background, they just have a tech to spin servers up with updated code in the background.

The most I've seen is like BDO, they do like 2-4hour maintenance every 2 weeks, while they add TON of new content every time they do this. Having 8 hour maintenance with minimal or zero changes is embarrassing.
  • JonMichael
    JonMichael
    ✭✭
    I’d be happy with the maintenance times if there were actual fixes involved or the game played better after an 8 hour maintenance...
  • Mastercris91
    Mastercris91
    ✭✭
    They could do the EU servers for PC, PS and Xbox at the same time and the NA servers at the same time.
    This way maintenance time could be more friendly for EU players.
    Hail Sithis
  • PigofSteel
    PigofSteel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lugaldu wrote: »
    In almost whole Europe people are unable to play literary whole maintenance-day, because it finishes at the evening and then its the time for gym, sex with husband/wife/bf/gf and sleep for everyone who aren't unemployed or little kids who doesn't go to school...

Um, I would rather say that the timing is perfect because normally people in Europe are at work between 10am and 6pm and free time (and time to play) starts after 6pm. And then you just have to set priorities, whether you prefer to go to the gym, to bed or not better play ESO... ;)

Not in my land of corona... no social life left everything barred and closed, police hours etc...
  • alanmatillab16_ESO
    alanmatillab16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dear ZoS...

May you please PLEEEEASE please stop with these 1 or 2 per week frequent maintenance!

We love you but we prefer to play this game. :D

Organize yourself differently, don't waste our time!

Give us GAME, pls!! We are paying you for it!! Love ya... <3

Clearly you never engage in any of those activities otherwise you would take the opportunity to do more of them while the servers are down instead of wailing about not being able to play.

Or in other words: Find something else to do.
  • ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ClawOfTheTwoMoons
    ✭✭✭✭
    Eight hours with nothing to show for it lmao.
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm curious how Anet GW1 & 2 has no down time, update as you play.

In the years I played GW2 PC the servers never went down.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on 17 May 2021 15:18
  • Evergnar
    Evergnar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    damned if you do, damned if you don't.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Rast wrote: »
    8 hour standard maintenance for 7 years old product is a sign of glaring incompetence from infrastructure team.

Anyone who deny that needs to realise that most of other similar services has ZERO minutes maintenances - they still happen in the background, they just have a tech to spin servers up with updated code in the background.

The most I've seen is like BDO, they do like 2-4hour maintenance every 2 weeks, while they add TON of new content every time they do this. Having 8 hour maintenance with minimal or zero changes is embarrassing.

I would not go as far as labeling it 'incompetence'. I have no reason to believe their infrastructure staff to be incompetent.

IMO they don't do it because they don't have to; this is how 'things have been done' with regard to MMOs since as long as I can remember and every time - like the present - when is suggested that they could do better we quickly jump in to make excuses for them.

For as long as we do that and we actually allow it to happen with no consequence for the publisher nothing will change; how would you justify to your employer the - I may add non-trivial - additional expense when us, the customers, are not only fine with how things are done but we actually defend the practice?
    Edited by ApoAlaia on 17 May 2021 15:36
  • SgtPow3rs
    SgtPow3rs
    When is the server back online in western Europe time?
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Computers need to be rebooted, especially ones that service multiple login from multiple people all day and night. You'd rather them reboot or maintain their hardware less?
  • Huyen
    Huyen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SgtPow3rs wrote: »

It already should be.
    Huyen Shadowpaw, dedicated nightblade tank - PS4 (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, nightblade dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Lightpaw, templar healer - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, necromancer dps - PC EU (Retired)
    Huyen Swiftpaw, dragonknight (no defined role yet)

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again. Only this time, more wisely" - Uncle Iroh
  • Twyst
    Twyst
    ✭✭✭
    Wolfpaw wrote: »

So their servers are Virtual Machines which are spun up/down as needed.
    The beauty of this approach means that they roll out a patch and broadcast "you must restart your game in 3 hours".
    During this window, if you restart your game with the patch you log into an updated server, if you don't then you play on your current un-updated server.

There are some exceptions to this - PvP stuff must be at the same patch level.
    Playing WvW you get a short 15 minute notice (if you're lucky).
    Once this timer is up, WvW is unavailable for about 5 mins while the server is updated and then you can play once more.
  • Twyst
    Twyst
    ✭✭✭
    Huyen wrote: »

It already should be.

The servers should come up at 16:00 UTC ..... which is just over 30 minutes from now.
    So they *should* be up Soon (TM).
  • Wolfpaw
    Wolfpaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Twyst wrote: »
    Wolfpaw wrote: »

So their servers are Virtual Machines which are spun up/down as needed.
    The beauty of this approach means that they roll out a patch and broadcast "you must restart your game in 3 hours".
    During this window, if you restart your game with the patch you log into an updated server, if you don't then you play on your current un-updated server.

There are some exceptions to this - PvP stuff must be at the same patch level.
    Playing WvW you get a short 15 minute notice (if you're lucky).
    Once this timer is up, WvW is unavailable for about 5 mins while the server is updated and then you can play once more.

Thanks for the schooling! Great game.
    Edited by Wolfpaw on 17 May 2021 15:35
  • Mefromnorway
    Mefromnorway
    ✭✭✭
    After mainteance this game only be more and more bugs. Only hope craftbag will be fixed.
    Have fun and dont be rude. Im Norwegian so im sorry for my spelling, but hope u understand.

Grand Master Crafter.
    5 chars full 9 traiter.
    3 chars Flawless
    2 chars Stormproof.

Total 13 chars, evryone got full gold armor both roles.

PS5 Europe.
  • vapandreiub17_ESO
    Maintenance is needed and their schedule is catered to NA users.

It would be great if they had a different schedule for EU servers but there could be technical limitations on their end to do that. Who knows.

The timing is awful for EU. I couldn't care less about their technical limitations, just as they can't care less if I have financial limitations for ESO+ and other store purchases.
  • Khenarthi
    Khenarthi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

18.00 CET or 17.00 GMT, so soon (one hopes)
    Edited by Khenarthi on 17 May 2021 15:45
    PC-EU
  • Nowa133
    Nowa133
    ✭✭✭
    Well, in ffxiv, they always apologize even without extensions and i've never seen a maintenance longer than 4h there. (They usually finishes before)
  • Rast
    Rast
    ✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    Rast wrote: »

I would not go as far as labeling it 'incompetence'. I have no reason to believe their infrastructure staff to be incompetent.

IMO they don't do it because they don't have to; this is how 'things have been done' with regard to MMOs since as long as I can remember and every time - like the present - when is suggested that they could do better we quickly jump in to make excuses for them.

For as long as we do that and we actually allow it to happen with no consequence for the publisher nothing will change; how would you justify to your employer the - I may add non-trivial - additional expense when us, the customers, are not only fine with how things are done but we actually defend the practice?

Operating at absolute tail end of industry practices IS the definition of being incompetent.
    Definition of incompetent

a : lacking the qualities needed for effective action

They act, i.e. the do maintenance, and they do it ineffectively for today's standards. I challenge you to find another live service which has such wide hardware support timeframes.

There is hardly anything us - the customers - can do here other then highlight this issue and spread the knowledge. While the maintenance schedule is atrocious, the overall product is good, and since support is non-significiant part of overall product it's quite unlikely they glaring issues with those schedules could have any noticeable impact on revenue ZOS brings in.

All this is not dispelling the fact, that this part of the business is in dire state.

Business often invest in parts of it's activities that brings zero returns. For instance, take a look at visual identification overhauls. Such campaigns cost million of dollars, yet the benefits are totally intangible. Does not mean there is no benefit for the business in such spendings. There is always a reputation which is worth investing in.
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    10 mins to go, but real life soon calling me back, soooo, dead for me today... The usual... :/
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
  • vapandreiub17_ESO

This one does not know, but he hopes his character is safe in Belkarth..
  • Johnfred24
    Johnfred24
    ✭✭✭
    Computers need to be rebooted, especially ones that service multiple login from multiple people all day and night. You'd rather them reboot or maintain their hardware less?

You guys always say that, "It has to be done". Fact is that every other MMORPG I have tried has significant less down time than ESO.
  • Mesonyx
    Mesonyx
    ✭✭✭

This one does not know, but he hopes his character is safe in Belkarth..

One is never truly safe in Belkarth....
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    does not matter when the EU server is back. as soon as it is, the log in the server does not work anymore, like every time
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    They could at the very least write the maintenance times with CET and GMT and not just the times that NA users use.

You do know what UTC means, right?..
    "We grew under a bad sun"
This discussion has been closed.