The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Dps nerf next update

• jonathanb16_ESO
    jonathanb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Hexi wrote: »
    [Quoted post was removed]

No, its merely an observation about then thing you were writing, most of it, if not all of it is blatantly false, if you have played the game for some time and had the urge to get better at it. But if you didn't learn to wave in all the time you say you play this game, that wasn't your goal and that's fine, too. [snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on 17 May 2021 14:03
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Galbsadi wrote: »
    If you're looking for a challenge, PvE is not it. Never has been and never will be. They got rid of Vet levels and zones because the vast majority of their playerbase COULD NOT DO IT. The Vet zones were COMPLETELY deserted.

While I welcome the changes that One Tamriel brought and I LOVE the CP system, as I think it's a massive improvement over vet levels, this is incorrect.

Vet zones weren't deserted at all (in fact, I personally basically lived in Craglorn at the time). The change was more that non-endgame zones ended up deserted (a la WoW), and this helped make the whole game more vibrant.

Non-vet zones were never deserted. The moment you left Coldharbour the game became a ghost-town in comparison.
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    SP39EMC2 wrote: »
    I understand In the soon coming update overall dps for all will be nerfed. No more capable of hitting 100K+ dps. Maybe around 80Kdps max? Maybe because ZOS is not happy with people getting the "Godslayer" & more & more will get it. Maybe "Godslayer" is not suppose to be attainable but as a motivation for high end players to try to get it but would be impossible therefore they will continue playing, especially the elite players. The title "Godslayer" meaning is "God" cannot be slayed therefore it will be impossible to get it?

I swear, a few months ago I've seen dozens of threads just like this one. "No more veteran content!", "DPS nerfed by 50%!", Flames of Ambition came out and voila, same 100k DPS builds are out.
    "We grew under a bad sun"
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally attacking me doesn't make my point invalid, it just proves it right.

No, its merely an observation about then thing you were writing, most of it, if not all of it is blatantly false, if you have played the game for some time and had the urge to get better at it. But if you didn't learn to wave in all the time you say you play this game, that wasn't your goal and that's fine, too. But pls stop trying to blame everything on the game.

You can out-dps the vast majority of players by weaving Blood for Blood with pale order ring equipped. That's 1 button+mouse clicking.

If that doesn't tell you everything you need to know about the "average player", I don't know what will.

Just because I understand the POV of someone other than myself doesn't mean I can't play the game.
    Edited by Hexi on 17 May 2021 13:42
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Vet zones were COMPLETELY deserted.
    You kinda forget that it was before Open Tamriel. These zone were deserted not because they were impossibly hard but because you literally had nothing to do in them after finishing your quests and people were thinly spread across all maps, as all alliances were playing in their own "layers".
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thavie wrote: »
    You kinda forget that it was before Open Tamriel. These zone were deserted not because they were impossibly hard but because you literally had nothing to do in them after finishing your quests and people were thinly spread across all maps, as all alliances were playing in their own "layers".

The forum was full of nothing but complaints that the Vet zones were too hard.
  • NinjaApacHe
    NinjaApacHe
    ✭✭✭✭

mobicera wrote: »
    Alurria wrote: »
    madrab73 wrote: »
    DPS needs a nerf. No point giving us dungeon mechanics which nobody sees.

ZOS Designs a dungeon to be completed with gear gained from previous tier of content.

People with gear form the tier above the dungeon go in.

"OMG Y IS GAYME SO EZ?!"

Why don't you go do those Vet dungeons with overland and normal dungeon gear and see how it goes.

What tiers are there?
    Perfect and non perfect?
    That's like 1k dps?
    Would overland and base game dungeons count as a tier above dungeons?
    Because I can burn through stuff in 4 person fast af with bsw/ms or medusa and 2 piece crit.

It's not tiers of gear, it's tiers of knowledge.
    Knowledge and skill are the key factors in dps in this game, sorry this isn't wow.

Base game vet dungeons were not designed with weaving and animation cancelling in mind.

Weaving has been here since day 1.

Let's be clear weaving was unintended.

For what a month at release?
    By the time it hit console it was accepted.
    They even tell you how in load screens

Here since PC Beta. It was accepted, but not intended, because, as usual, they did not know how to get rid of it.....
    CP 2120+Lord Yakhin- Magicka NB - High Elf - DC Jack Templar - Stamina Templar - Dark Elf - DC Darth Morbius - Stamina Sorcerer - Dark Elf - DC Bloody Merril - Stamina Vampire NB - Redguard - DC Master Kun - Stamina DK - Redguard - DC Exarch Kun - Magicka Vampire NB - High Elf - DC Ace Bollah - Stamina Warden - Dark Elf - DC Icy Jack - Stamina Warden - Nord - DC Prior Tedas - Stamina NB - High Elf - DC 10 traits Woodworker - lvl 50 Enchanter - lvl 50 Alchemist - 10 traits Clothier & Smither - 10 traits jewelcrafterProud member of the Band of Daggers - www.bandofdaggers.eu
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ZOS Designs a dungeon to be completed with gear gained from previous tier of content.

"OMG Y IS GAYME SO EZ?!"

Why don't you go do those Vet dungeons with overland and normal dungeon gear and see how it goes.

What tiers are there?
    Perfect and non perfect?
    That's like 1k dps?
    Because I can burn through stuff in 4 person fast af with bsw/ms or medusa and 2 piece crit.

Knowledge and skill are the key factors in dps in this game, sorry this isn't wow.

Base game vet dungeons were not designed with weaving and animation cancelling in mind.

Here since PC Beta. It was accepted, but not intended, because, as usual, they did not know how to get rid of it.....

Yup. You can't ban people for doing something you are incapable of fixing. The whole thing is an oversight in the engine and there is no way of fixing it without a new engine, and that's *NEVER* happening.
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"OMG Y IS GAYME SO EZ?!"

What tiers are there?
    Perfect and non perfect?
    That's like 1k dps?

Yup. You can't ban people for doing something you are incapable of fixing. The whole thing is an oversight in the engine and there is no way of fixing it without a new engine, and that's *NEVER* happening.

This^ I remember this clearly.
  • Jem_Kindheart
    Jem_Kindheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hexi is right about all of the above. ZoS even came out and openly stated, on record, that ani canceling was unintended but they just went with it bc it was fine. The informative on the load screen was a pretty recent addition, maybe ~8 mos ~ 1 year.
    Longtimer since beta, the usual. 26 CP toons. ~1700cp on main account, 1000cp on 2nd account. Endgame-ish lol. Most Vets / some HM's cleared.
  • ZOS_ConnorG
    Greetings all,

After review we have had to edit or remove several posts for Baiting. Ensure when engaging in a discussion that you keep said discussion civil, constructive, and within the rules. If you see a post that is baiting in nature do not engage it with further hostility and instead report it for the moderators to review.

You are welcome to review the Community Rules here.
    Staff Post
  • mobicera
    mobicera
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hexi is right about all of the above. ZoS even came out and openly stated, on record, that ani canceling was unintended but they just went with it bc it was fine. The informative on the load screen was a pretty recent addition, maybe ~8 mos ~ 1 year.

They are only 1/2 correct and I have a feeling they don't know the difference between weaving and animation cancelling.
    However well part of it was unintended 6 years ago, it was accepted before even console launch and content was built with such in mind.
    [snip]

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on 17 May 2021 15:13
  • Hexi
    Hexi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. Really.

It's so incredibly frustrating when these people refuse to accept basic facts.
  • Khaleer
    Khaleer
    ✭✭

Would be a good start. Then change game mechanics so that real tanks and healers are more needed and therefore more appreciated.

If this fake heal/tank plague does not stop, I list with my healer as DPS and start spamming breath of life.
  • Riptide
    Riptide
    ✭✭✭✭✭

What? No, it wasn’t. We were split between three factions and it was higher level as it wasn’t scaled is all, so if a level 5 person walked there well of course they would get killed - because it was linear.

But we’ve been pleading for optional harder mode overland content since the alpha, with no interruptions in that - so I think you are misremembering and conflating how the word “veteran” was used. It was not harder content, re: normal vs veteran dungeons. It was merely higher, linear levels.

Overland being difficult has never, at any time, been a serious issue. In fact the forums have been filled with posts saying it is too easy since before closed beta.
    Edited by Riptide on 17 May 2021 14:35
    Esse quam videri.
  • Thavie
    Thavie
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thavie wrote: »

Forums are always nothing but complaints though.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Coatmagic wrote: »
    Dragonnord wrote: »
    DPS nerf? Then why groups already completed in the PTS the three hard modes of the new trial?
    PigofSteel wrote: »
    This is when 2 elite guilds log in just to break records and make couple youtube builds than other mortal players suffer for months.

nuff said

Power creep is a helluva thing.
  • chaz
    chaz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, this whole subject is just too sad.

So if I stink, and other people stink like trash, nerfing DPS makes matters worse and there for, we stench and become less than trash. If thats even possible.

I mean look, I'm not expert here, and my DPS last hit 60K, but frankly to be honest, I'm here to game, not blister my fingers trying to weave and animation cancel and hit every second on the second so that my hits register to give me an accurate parse. In fact I really hate it. And don't use it.

I will only bend over backwards to attempt my best and hurt myself in order to post that necessary and mandatory screenshot of a dps parse in order to join a guild to run a vet trial or dungeon so I can get the goodies at the end, a trophy, bust, achievement, skin, mount, personality.

Which I'm missing a whole lot of stuff I like to get but cannot because of many random facts. 1. being you cannot find a guild these days that want to run a vet trial. For me, like last night, we started vHof and as soon as it was time to go up the next lever (4 players) to hit the 4 switches, someone made a mistake and didn't synergize their switch and everyone gave up and we ended up downgrading to normal.

Thats just 1, next things like some guild require a higher level of DPS parse, or you might find some high end DPS guild to carry you, but you have to pay the price of 150 million gold minimum and im sorry i'm lucky if i even have 50k to 300K gold on my account at any given time.

This game is becoming more and more stupid as time goes on where it's not only a trend but fad to always seek new ways to upset people.

Lets take that mount system with speed as an example.

I have many toons, all have unlocked, purchased or earned the 60/60/60.

Now we have to use a cp system to unlock a speedy mount, so how is it that I allocated the same amount of cp into the specific node, and activated that node in the top bar of 4 allotted nodes to activate, and ONLY one of my toons has a super fast mount? Everything is exactly the same. So is that system broken?

I'm a casual player, like RPG and adventure, also like the achievements and in game awards. A lot of them are near impossible to get, with a DPS nerf now, I might as well accept the fact I will never see those items even long after this game is dead.

Oh and BTW, I have always been here from day one and voiced an opinion on just about everything from voting against mindless nerfs like this DPS thing, to adding feature and or creating new things, and I love the fact that they say would never create something publicly posted yet over the years they have made exactly what I asked for 2 times over.

I know ZOS doesn't personally like me and lord knows if you know me, you know just how much they pushed me out of the way and or silenced me like a dark hand puppet. But the fact remains, if you pay attention, eventually they act on what I ask for in game and , and my predictions of failure has always been spot on.

DPS nerf is just wrong.

Not everyone can weave and ani-cancel, and some whom can may not want to over exhaust themselves or cause pain in their fingers , hands and wrists doing so. So what you have 2 high end guilds that pump out 100K dps, big deal, even if there were 10K people who can, why is it so important to ZOS being concerned with 10K that hit hard and fast like that when there are millions of players who do not...?
    Those in power only have the illusion they are powerful, however in reality, those in power are only so because we allow them to be.

ESO Beta Test Ultimate Question for control!
    Lord Dagon's Mythic Dawn Guild is now recruiting. Dailies, trials, Raids, Fun, Discord (required for staying on Crown), guild bank and so much more. Msg me or mail me in game @Chaz for invite. **See Link Here** ElderScrollsOnlineYouTube

ElderScrollsOnline Purchase History April 17, 2017 through May 30th 2022 (Crowns,Upgrades, ESO Plus) = $5,610.38
  • Grandchamp1989
    Grandchamp1989
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Any DPS nerf is indirectly a nerf to the tank player aswell, since the Tank player has to get hit in the head for longer periods of time.

Probably not a big nerf for high end groups but PUGS and progression groups will probably see a difference I can imagine.
    Edited by Grandchamp1989 on 19 May 2021 05:39
  • Stevie6
    Stevie6
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS has lost its way. "Raise the Floor" will never happen when nerfing top end players. Separate PVE and PVP finally and end the needless suffering of nerfs. I could care less about players who do 100k plus. I'm not in their click/world and I never see them. ZOS should look at this as a SOLO experience because of the solo storyline experience. Everything that I do is basically solo story mode. So why not give us the tools (crap load more damage) to deal with all encounters. I would like to see in PVE a one button click for 30k + damage on a target without the need for twitch finger or key smashing 4 times to get any skills to work. Lag and no actions after key inputs is getting really old...really old. A single LA should be 10k to 15k damage and a hvy attack should be about the same and with a resource return.

SO ZOS put the damage back into damage and stop this divide between magicka and stamina. Power creep is a nothing burger to casual players. New players without a lot of cp will most likely level out and stay in overland content. There is nothing in this game that will guide a new player to get better dps. Some may pick it up LA weaving and become great players. However, what will ZOS do for casual heavy attack players? Nothing. Raising the Floor sounds like Build Back Better lol.
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"OMG Y IS GAYME SO EZ?!"

OK I'll go in with Mothers Sorrow (overland) and Medusa (base game dungeon) which is BiS gear and im sure I will struggle.
    Oh no wait, that's what I already use.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see much in the PTS that nerfs low level play. If you don't have CP points the CP changes don't matter. If you do then you hit a few caps earlier so the top end benefit of some things is now lower but the base is not changed. The gear changes won't apply to someone wandering around in non proc set gear, and even when they do only significantly if they are trying to do things like DPS on a tank. That's an issue but a separate one.

The bigger changes in the CP also tend to helper lower CP and in some cases perhaps less skilled players. U28 boosted the base performance of a low level toon. U29 reduces the number of CP to reach a (now slightly lower) peak in a few spots. It also adds some other changes that I suspect will help heavy attack builds.

The changes around sustain matter only against stuff that takes a long time to die, which isn't overland stuff except maybe world bosses and dragons. Everything else should be dead long before that kicks in if the basic character setup is right.

Weaving also also a red herring. It's not where most of the gains come from. I've helped a bunch of guild members get their DPS up. The big issues- people splitting points between magicka and stamina, not knowing about the armour passives and wearing interesting gear mixes, not knowing about major prophecy/sorcery/savagery and friends, wrong (often no) mundus stone, not wearing appropriate (but often easy to get) gear and not understanding a bit about penetration (or at least just blindly following the skils for it) are all far more important and often trivial to fix.

Those are in most cases *each* worth more than the ability to weave.

Eg for stamina:
    full medium armour is 15% weapon damage with the passives, it's also 2296 critical more stam regen and skill cost reduction
    major savagery is 2191 crit
    major brutality is 20% weapon damage
    lover mundus stone is 2.5-4.5k penetration and very useful for solo (depending on the amount and quality of inufsed pieces)
    razor caltrops is major breach for a group of targets
    wielding a maul for 2H is a ton more penetration

and that's before you get to class skills. armour and group buff effects (easily another 30% in most cases)

Once you've got then weaving might actually matter to your dps.

Without weaving or even using many skills you can do 25k/sec real - not dummy parse - damage to actual targets solo on a simple one bar stamplar in the right (non trial) gear. At that point everything in the overland and normal dungeons just melts.

Weaving is just the cake icing.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok. Pulling this back on target. There is a great thread discussing this here;

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/572775/7-0-2-proc-set-changes-the-death-of-proc-sets-in-pve/p1

The big issue is two fold.

Cp passives are getting nerfed, but dps wise they left an “out” for people who light attack weave. So really the cp nerf will effect healers and tanks disproportionately more.

And then there is this from the 7.0.2 patch;

“Sets that use Weapon and Spell Damage now require 6574 of either in order to reach their original values, up from 5478, resulting in approximately a 17% reduction.

Sets that use Magicka or Stamina now require 39,901 of either in order to reach their original values, up from 38,350, resulting in approximately a 4% reduction.

Sets that use Health now require 43,968 to reach their original values, up from 38,350, resulting in approximately a 13% reduction.

Sets that use Physical or Spell Resistance now require 30,680 of either, up from 27,890, resulting in approximately a 9% reduction.”

High end dds don’t really use proc sets. They favor crit and flat sustain. So this dps loss has been (inadvertently?) targeted at the mid to lower end dds.

The more casual dds are more dependent on passives (nerfed) and general prefer proc sets (nerfed), as the visuals are fun.

That is the issue, high end dds are generally staying close to where they are now. The lower end dds are going proportionally much lower.

All these threads about “fake” dds and their low dps output? Well, buckle up...
    Edited by BlueRaven on 17 May 2021 20:52
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/572775/7-0-2-proc-set-changes-the-death-of-proc-sets-in-pve/p1

Cp passives are getting nerfed, but dps wise they left an “out” for people who light attack weave. So really the cp nerf will effect healers and tanks disproportionately more.

“Sets that use Weapon and Spell Damage now require 6574 of either in order to reach their original values, up from 5478, resulting in approximately a 17% reduction.

Sets that use Magicka or Stamina now require 39,901 of either in order to reach their original values, up from 38,350, resulting in approximately a 4% reduction.

Sets that use Health now require 43,968 to reach their original values, up from 38,350, resulting in approximately a 13% reduction.

Sets that use Physical or Spell Resistance now require 30,680 of either, up from 27,890, resulting in approximately a 9% reduction.”

High end dds don’t really use proc sets. They favor crit and flat sustain. So this dps loss has been (inadvertently?) targeted at the mid to lower end dds.

The more casual dds are more dependent on passives (nerfed) and general prefer proc sets (nerfed), as the visuals are fun.

That is the issue, high end dds are generally staying close to where they are now. The lower end dds are going proportionally much lower.

Yeah, the experienced players who weave and AC aren't really going to suddenly not play well. They will always play well, even with stat sets and stacking crit. Experienced players don't really have to rely on proc sets to be successful, as opposed to less experienced players who need an extra helping hand when it comes to DPS or healing.
  • axi
    axi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still possible to get 100k+ DPS on PTS.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did this really need to turn into an opinion thread with misinformation about weaving and animation canceling? There are plenty of those already.

On the original topic, DPS is looking fine next patch. Just get the kilt and you’ll be about the same as current builds without mythics, maybe a little higher. The only thing that took a large hit was Simmering Frenzy builds with Pale Order, and those were only used for score runs, not achievement attempts.

It always does. It will be a nerf sorc thread by page 3.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"OMG Y IS GAYME SO EZ?!"

What tiers are there?
    Perfect and non perfect?
    That's like 1k dps?

Animation canceling was NOT unintended as skill priorities were clearly put in place. LA weaving as a biproduct of this was unintended, but it was literally identified, discussed, and embraced during Beta.

There is nothing new or unusual about this. Game creators have to build systems based on rules and priorities. There is no way for them to know every possible outcome of a new system until it is thoroughly tested. Sometimes these have unintended consequences that are bad and the devs work to remove them. Sometimes those unintended consequences are good and they are embraced by the devs. That later is clearly what has happened in ESO. They have doubled down so much on AC and specifically LA weaving that to argue that its somehow an exploit or against the devs wishes is just not reality, and frankly just sounds silly to most of us.

Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    DPS does need to be addressed. Rationalize it how you will, if you're doing 100k+ dps, nearly the whole game is trivial to you. That's not good for the game, or for you.

My characters average between 5-10k dps... and overland content is largely trivial to me. If I find things trivial at THAT level of dps... anyone with higher dps is only going to benefit from the top end being pulled back down to reasonable levels.

From what I've seen (and I could be wrong), a large part of the problem is animation canceling. This has allowed people to essentially fire off two attacks at once, more or less DOUBLING dps. Lower level, less experienced/skilled players are not generally able to do this effectively, so eliminating animation cancelling strikes me as a move that would lower the top end without affecting the bottom end substantially.

But, that's just my first take on it. I don't know what they've chosen to do with it.

To be candid, you are wrong. AC does not allow you to bypass global cooldowns. You can only cast 1 skill per second, whether or not you AC. You can use AC to add a light attack into every globabl cooldown, known as a LA weave. It doesnt even come close to doubling your DPS. There was recently a thread where OP made that claim, but it was ultimately shut down, both my empirical data and the forum mods. At the extreme end of things, talking a 95-100k, parse, LA damage will count for approx. 20k DPS. In other words, 20% of damage, for 50% of your APMs.

Remove AC completely, and a 100k DPS will still pull 80k or so. A 30k DPS, will certainly fall as well, how much, tougher to say. Bad DPS AC more than they realize.

Edited by Oreyn_Bearclaw on 17 May 2021 21:32
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »

Yeah, the experienced players who weave and AC aren't really going to suddenly not play well. They will always play well, even with stat sets and stacking crit. Experienced players don't really have to rely on proc sets to be successful, as opposed to less experienced players who need an extra helping hand when it comes to DPS or healing.

Agreed. I keep reading about “lowering the ceiling and raising the floor”, but I never really ever see any movement in this direction. Patch after patch it seems they keep targeting tanks, healers, and low end dds in the nerfs. I don’t understand it.

Is “lowering the ceiling and raising the floor” actually something zos stated they want to do? Or is it a forum myth/meme?
  • Auztinito
    Auztinito
    ✭✭✭
    If you want to raise the floor . It’s pretty simple.

Stop making mechanics passable because of dps.

Remove the NEED to use weaving and animation cancel.

Remove or Rework skills to be much better and never useless.

These three step alone would raise the floor and close the gap.

Here’s the problem with a lot of their decisions since day one. They allowed weaving because they couldn’t fix it and it added a gap between “bad” and “good” players. This is fine in a competitive game which this game was originally designed as. Except, more and more this game blew up because people wanted it to be a PvE experience and PvE should never be a competitive experience except for specific events or occasions because you’re supposed to be cooperating not competing with others. That’s the problem.

They created a gap and now they changed directions with the game and have now just realized that same gap is biting them in the ass.
  • RevJJ
    RevJJ
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something I've always wondered. If animation canceling was intended, as some people are saying, why did ZOS go through the trouble of having the animations designed and implemented in the first place?