The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Will Crossplay ever be implemented?

HalfRain216
HalfRain216
✭✭✭
Just wondering if crossplay has ever been spoken about being implemented in the future?
It would be great to be able to crossplay with PS5/Xbox. I know pc might be a different but like other games you only play in the pc server if you group with someone on pc. It would bump up the population a lot and cut down the times waiting for dungeons and BGs some nights I can wait over an hour.
I would assume the more people the worse performance it would be but with only the one set of console servers to deal with they would have more time to put work into it and I would think it would have to bring in new players now being able to play with there friends it couldn’t be a losing situation really.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many accounts migrated at console launch to allow this.

And, Addons would be an issue.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Too many accounts migrated at console launch to allow this.

And, Addons would be an issue.

Sorry, could you elaborate on what you mean haha?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back at console launch, players could copy to the consoles, so lots of dups.

PC Players have Addons, unfair advantage
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah fair enough.
    I suppose though if you choose to play in a pc group you would be accepting that disadvantage so you could play with your friends.
    Like fortnight and so on you only play in a pc server if you choose to group with a pc friend.
    I think a lot would anyways I would play the pc server as most my friends are on pc but I prefer console and don’t want to fork out the coin for a gaming pc.

Duplicate accounts doesn’t seem like a dealbreaker that would be to hard to sort out you can only have one unique email address linked to an account something like that if that’s what you mean.

Nearly all games these days have implemented crossplay or will be, seems like ESO would be getting stuck in the past.

It definitely wouldn’t be an issue of work or money now Microsoft has acquired Bethesda...
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On PC the game is plenty busy. The more people in an area the more systems will struggle to render the game. We want to improve performance not make it worse.
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    ThorianB wrote: »
    On PC the game is plenty busy. The more people in an area the more systems will struggle to render the game. We want to improve performance not make it worse.

Then why hasn’t performance been addressed and improved?
    As consumers we pay for this game under the impression it will work how it is marketed to work.
    We are essentially paying there wages and they won’t fix the performance issues [snip]

There will be no lack of money or manpower once Microsoft’s acquisition goes through in July.

[Edited to remove Bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on 18 April 2021 12:28
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @HalfRain216
    1. Understand how ESO works differently from other MMORPGs. This games uses "mega servers" versus individualized. As a result every player on a server is immediately able to contact and play with one another with instances rarely being limited.
    2. Now imagine a system now cross checking with all mega servers and essentially all players at once without lag. You're starting to get into the problems.
    3. Now consider server strain. NA servers don't really experience it but EU PC servers certainly do.Imagine the strain on them solely because of "rush hour" log-ins every day. More trouble.
    4. Microsoft has no incentive to build out servers or improve them to an insane degree just to accommodate ESO. It's not Fortnite.
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As consumers we pay for this game under the impression it will work how it is marketed to work.
    We are essentially paying there wages and they won’t fix the performance issues [snip]

There will be no lack of money or manpower once Microsoft’s acquisition goes through in July.

It isn't that simple. First of all the population of ESO grew by about 20% last year alone that comes out to about 3 million players. Granted all don't stay but the game is significantly more populated than it was just a couple of years ago.

Second, performance has been constantly addressed and improved. CP 2.0 ( U29) actually had performance improvements to cut how many checks the server was required to do. They have also or are also getting new servers this year though the claim it will only make the game more reliable and not directly improve performance. They did several optimizations last year.

Third, the game engine does have limitations. You can only do so much with it and it is likely 10 years or older at this point. There is also a lot of patchwork coding from my understanding.

Fourth, how well the game works for players depends a lot on the players. Some players will be on a rather low end system and trying to do 100 man VS 100 man ball groups in cyro. Some will max their graphics settings and leave them pegged and demand that ZOS fix performance instead of just turning their settings down a few notches.

Each user's experience is going to vary depending on system hardware, settings, and what they are doing in game. ESO runs fine most of the time on my system at ultra graphics for example but im not trying to squeeze 144 FPS at 4k. A lot of people don't understand much about graphics and instead of learning the limitations of their hardware, its easier to blame ZOS for performance issues. For example reducing your resolution from 4k to 2k will greatly improve performance as the game has to render twice as many pixels( roughly) at 4k than it does at 2k. Running a monitor at 144 HZ when you are only getting 70-80 FPS is just wasting resources as your graphics card has to draw each frame twice but the frames are identical. Adjusting little things like these to the correct settings rather than the max settings will greatly improve performance for many people.

The game does have its issues but a lot of these issues can be made a lot more tolerable by using different settings. Older hardware will struggle as time goes on. This is normal in any MMO that is updated regularly. The devs use modern tech and tools and as they do older hardware has a problem keeping up. A PC that ran the game great in 2016, for example, won't run it as well now with the same hardware. But if you get on a modern PC with modern hardware, you can see a pretty decent difference in textures, shadows, etc. in newer areas. Older hardware has a harder time processing newer areas of the game.

So it is not as simple as you make it sound. The devs just can't "fix it" or plug in new hardware and make everything run better. There are many factors affecting why the game may run like crap for you but run fine for me and crash every 30 minutes for player X.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on 18 April 2021 12:40
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    @HalfRain216
    1. Understand how ESO works differently from other MMORPGs. This games uses "mega servers" versus individualized. As a result every player on a server is immediately able to contact and play with one another with instances rarely being limited.
    2. Now imagine a system now cross checking with all mega servers and essentially all players at once without lag. You're starting to get into the problems.
    3. Now consider server strain. NA servers don't really experience it but EU PC servers certainly do.Imagine the strain on them solely because of "rush hour" log-ins every day. More trouble.
    4. Microsoft has no incentive to build out servers or improve them to an insane degree just to accommodate ESO. It's not Fortnite.

If there was crossplay between Xbox and PS5 wouldn’t they merge them into one set of Mega Servers just console NA/EU?

Why is it the consumers issue to have to worry about what the servers can handle if they can’t handle increased activity they should be upgraded with cost going to the developers not passed onto the consumers.
    What if ESO suddenly gets a boost of popularity it would all just be lost because they can’t handle it.

I understand it doesn’t have the same amount of players as fortnite but even smaller not as popular games are implementing it.

Good performance is expected of any game. it would be a drop in the ocean compared to their profits they are a multi billion dollar company.
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭

We are essentially paying there wages and they won’t fix the performance issues and are more concerned with how much money can be squeezed out.

It isn't that simple. First of all the population of ESO grew by about 20% last year alone that comes out to about 3 million players. Granted all don't stay but the game is significantly more populated than it was just a couple of years ago.

Second, performance has been constantly addressed and improved. CP 2.0 ( U29) actually had performance improvements to cut how many checks the server was required to do. They have also or are also getting new servers this year though the claim it will only make the game more reliable and not directly improve performance. They did several optimizations last year.

Third, the game engine does have limitations. You can only do so much with it and it is likely 10 years or older at this point. There is also a lot of patchwork coding from my understanding.

Fourth, how well the game works for players depends a lot on the players. Some players will be on a rather low end system and trying to do 100 man VS 100 man ball groups in cyro. Some will max their graphics settings and leave them pegged and demand that ZOS fix performance instead of just turning their settings down a few notches.

Each user's experience is going to vary depending on system hardware, settings, and what they are doing in game. ESO runs fine most of the time on my system at ultra graphics for example but im not trying to squeeze 144 FPS at 4k. A lot of people don't understand much about graphics and instead of learning the limitations of their hardware, its easier to blame ZOS for performance issues. For example reducing your resolution from 4k to 2k will greatly improve performance as the game has to render twice as many pixels( roughly) at 4k than it does at 2k. Running a monitor at 144 HZ when you are only getting 70-80 FPS is just wasting resources as your graphics card has to draw each frame twice but the frames are identical. Adjusting little things like these to the correct settings rather than the max settings will greatly improve performance for many people.

The game does have its issues but a lot of these issues can be made a lot more tolerable by using different settings. Older hardware will struggle as time goes on. This is normal in any MMO that is updated regularly. The devs use modern tech and tools and as they do older hardware has a problem keeping up. A PC that ran the game great in 2016, for example, won't run it as well now with the same hardware. But if you get on a modern PC with modern hardware, you can see a pretty decent difference in textures, shadows, etc. in newer areas. Older hardware has a harder time processing newer areas of the game.

So it is not as simple as you make it sound. The devs just can't "fix it" or plug in new hardware and make everything run better. There are many factors affecting why the game may run like crap for you but run fine for me and crash every 30 minutes for player X.

I play on console so I’m not sure what if any settings I could tweak to improve performance?

I do understand what your saying about pc a lot of games I do have to lower the settings to improve lag.
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭

We are essentially paying there wages and they won’t fix the performance issues and are more concerned with how much money can be squeezed out.

I play on console so I’m not sure what if any settings I could tweak to improve performance?

I do understand what your saying about pc a lot of games I do have to lower the settings to improve lag.

Edited by HalfRain216 on 23 May 2021 07:12
  • Lintashi
    Lintashi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot comment about crossplay between different consoles, but pc cannot be grouped with either of them because of addons. They make game completey different in every aspect, and give many advantages. Like minimap on the bg's showing you where your team is, addon that shows you where every overland chest is, once you found them once, similar for lorebooks, skyshards. Addons for trading, treasure maps, auto fish filleting, writ crafting and weapon charging. All those qol stuff will make console players feel disadvantaged. And if they ban addons, significant part of pc population will leave
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sony has spoken out before they would never do cross-play with other platforms for any of their game titles whereas Microsoft is all for it. Cross-Save like Destiny 2 is possible, but highly unlikely unless ESO can be patched at the same time for all platforms otherwise you have a week where it gets disabled when PC gets updated first. However Cross-play between PC and Xbox is highly unlikely for examples: Addons, Type-Chat, controlled Voice Chat, higher FPS, and second monitor.

Addons already explained above.

Type-Chat if you do have that on consoles, its considerably slower without an actual keyboard or is disabled entirely.

From my understanding console Voice Chat is determined by vicinity, solo, and grouping; if you're alone you hear everyone around you whether you want to or not, it switches when you join a group. PC can Voice Chat with anyone regardless where they are, in a group or solo, even in PvP with the other faction players to coordinate with a mole.

Consoles are capped at 30 FPS I think, with newer generation consoles still only pushing 60 FPS max. PC default caps at 100 FPS, editing a text file can get higher, I play at 150-165 FPS.

Having an extra monitor to do other things is a big bonus, in fact I'm playing the game right now as I'm typing this on the second monitor. Pull up information, change discord, etc.
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There isn't a lot you can do on console. Though i heard the newer gens allow for more customizable graphics settings.
  • perfiction
    perfiction
    ✭✭✭✭✭

hBJbiA5.png
    Edited by perfiction on 18 April 2021 09:02
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    Sony has spoken out before they would never do cross-play with other platforms for any of their game titles whereas Microsoft is all for it. Cross-Save like Destiny 2 is possible, but highly unlikely unless ESO can be patched at the same time for all platforms otherwise you have a week where it gets disabled when PC gets updated first. However Cross-play between PC and Xbox is highly unlikely for examples: Addons, Type-Chat, controlled Voice Chat, higher FPS, and second monitor.

In regards to Sony? Has that changed as you can cross play games like Apex between PS5 and Xbox or do you mean something else?

Like I said before I’d be happy to be at a disadvantage with addons to play on the pc server but seems like there is a lot more to it like you mentioned.
  • Elo106
    Elo106
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Creative Director Rich Lambert said its possible but its a technical issue and they have a lot of those on the list before they even attempt cross save or cross play :(
  • Khaleer
    Khaleer
    ✭✭
    Would he nice to have my PS4/5 StamSorc over on PC. Let us at least merge the accounts back
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Performance issues and addons are a massive problem with this. Plus, the idea that Microsoft's purchase of Bethesda somehow creates a golden money tree for ESO's developers is wishful thinking and completely unsubstantiated.
  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭

Well, I am playing with Stadia, and I dont have any addons and its fine playing
    @HalfRain216

If there was crossplay between Xbox and PS5 wouldn’t they merge them into one set of Mega Servers just console NA/EU?

Why is it the consumers issue to have to worry about what the servers can handle if they can’t handle increased activity they should be upgraded with cost going to the developers not passed onto the consumers.
    What if ESO suddenly gets a boost of popularity it would all just be lost because they can’t handle it.

I understand it doesn’t have the same amount of players as fortnite but even smaller not as popular games are implementing it.

Good performance is expected of any game. it would be a drop in the ocean compared to their profits they are a multi billion dollar company.

I feel server laggs playing with Stadia,and its not bcse of my pc settings or internet connection.. it seems bcse of the derver itself.. but I think this type of issues is being treated, if not, so it is pointless keep playing bcse in a year this game will increase his players and the server wont be able to handle it.
    Lintashi wrote: »
    I cannot comment about crossplay between different consoles, but pc cannot be grouped with either of them because of addons. They make game completey different in every aspect, and give many advantages. Like minimap on the bg's showing you where your team is, addon that shows you where every overland chest is, once you found them once, similar for lorebooks, skyshards. Addons for trading, treasure maps, auto fish filleting, writ crafting and weapon charging. All those qol stuff will make console players feel disadvantaged. And if they ban addons, significant part of pc population will leave

As a Stadia Player I cant apply any addons, I am more console playing on PC server, and it doesnt affect me

Addons already explained above.

Type-Chat if you do have that on consoles, its considerably slower without an actual keyboard or is disabled entirely.

From my understanding console Voice Chat is determined by vicinity, solo, and grouping; if you're alone you hear everyone around you whether you want to or not, it switches when you join a group. PC can Voice Chat with anyone regardless where they are, in a group or solo, even in PvP with the other faction players to coordinate with a mole.

Consoles are capped at 30 FPS I think, with newer generation consoles still only pushing 60 FPS max. PC default caps at 100 FPS, editing a text file can get higher, I play at 150-165 FPS.

Having an extra monitor to do other things is a big bonus, in fact I'm playing the game right now as I'm typing this on the second monitor. Pull up information, change discord, etc.

I think most of the players just want to enjoy the game with friends on the weekend

Anyways all the problems and issues are overcome-ble it only need the good will to do that. If xbox servers are getting empties and ppl are waiting for hours to gether and do dungeons so better they come to main server.

I am playing dead by daylight and it takes me 30min to find ppl on pc-stadia server. If it would have crossplaying with xbox and ps, it wouldnot be like that. The destiny2 is was almost empty the same stadia-pc server so it seems like they did crossplaying..
    Once ESO will stop having ppl in xbox servers and the pass to pc servers, xbox will want the crossplaying.. the same will be with ps, wanted they or not, money rules, and more ppl want crossplaying in the game and having no crossplaying is the real disadvantage

Anyways we will see this when amazon will release his BIG MMO game project, if that will be multiplataform crossplaying, than we are entering into complately crossplaying era. Personally i dont think i will play that game, I like more elfic fantasy MMO. I just started playing this game, I hope it will run atleast for the next 5 years
    Edited by HyekAr on 18 April 2021 10:14
  • NoMoreChillies
    NoMoreChillies
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    give it time.

gotta fix more pressing issues first
    Insulting people on the internet is cowardly.
  • HyekAr
    HyekAr
    ✭✭✭
    perfiction wrote: »

hBJbiA5.png

There is no disadvantage with Stadia, only upcoming advantages
  • relentless_turnip
    relentless_turnip
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The only add-on I use that currently gives me a combat advantage is action duration reminder. This changes next patch as everyone will have it. Lazy writ is a convenience advantage, but not competitively. I think zos is closing this gap, there are no other add ons that give you a combat advantage as far as I know. Console players are pretty ignorant to this imo.
  • HalfRain216
    HalfRain216
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    Performance issues and addons are a massive problem with this. Plus, the idea that Microsoft's purchase of Bethesda somehow creates a golden money tree for ESO's developers is wishful thinking and completely unsubstantiated.

Quotes taken from
    https://www.theverge.com/21449178/microsoft-xbox-bethesda-zenimax-media-acquisition-xbox-game-pass

Bethesda Game Studios director Todd Howard echoed similar sentiments, saying that it’s Microsoft’s vision that convinced the company to agree to join the Xbox platform. “Why does it matter where the screen is or what the controller is? There are many people without the same access, and we can bring it to them,” he wrote in a post on Bethesda Game Studios

Sounds like a good sign.

As of today’s announcement, Microsoft says it has 15 million Game Pass subscribers. At an average of $10 per user, accounting for some $5 and $1 limited time signups and subscribers of the $15 premium Ultimate subscription, that’s more than $1 billion in annual subscription revenue. Add to that any revenue Microsoft plans to make off third-party games on Xbox consoles and through the Microsoft Store on PC, any console revenue it might earn from the Series X / Series S sales, and full game sales and microtransactions for its first-party titles, and you’ve got a healthy Xbox business.

Microsoft could double its Game Pass revenues with 30 million subscribers. At 50 million, Game Pass is generating an estimated $6 billion a year, more than three times what Fortnite made last year and close to the entire annual revenue of Activision Blizzard, the most valuable third-party game publisher in the industry.

Plus all the in game purchases that will now be going to Microsoft, if they are not a money tree I don’t know what is lol.
  • Irfind
    Irfind
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Xbox and PC could work, PS5 ? ..... Sony goes BRRRRRRRRR
    PC EU no CP PVP
    EP Irfind - Stam NB Dunmer
    EP Iswind - Mag Warden Dunmer
    EP Ko'runa Silberklaue - Mag Temp Khajiit
    EP Eldrid Hagal - Mag DK Dunmer
    EP Feyne R'is - Stam Sorc Dunmer ...with Bow
    EP Wynn Loraethaine - Mag NB Dunmer
    AD Runare Loraethaine - Stam Sorc Altmer
    AD Skadi Hagal - Stam DK Khajiit
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No the game barely runs with 1 server of people never mind multiple servers from multiple platforms.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Quotes taken from
    https://www.theverge.com/21449178/microsoft-xbox-bethesda-zenimax-media-acquisition-xbox-game-pass

Bethesda Game Studios director Todd Howard echoed similar sentiments, saying that it’s Microsoft’s vision that convinced the company to agree to join the Xbox platform. “Why does it matter where the screen is or what the controller is? There are many people without the same access, and we can bring it to them,” he wrote in a post on Bethesda Game Studios

Sounds like a good sign.

As of today’s announcement, Microsoft says it has 15 million Game Pass subscribers. At an average of $10 per user, accounting for some $5 and $1 limited time signups and subscribers of the $15 premium Ultimate subscription, that’s more than $1 billion in annual subscription revenue. Add to that any revenue Microsoft plans to make off third-party games on Xbox consoles and through the Microsoft Store on PC, any console revenue it might earn from the Series X / Series S sales, and full game sales and microtransactions for its first-party titles, and you’ve got a healthy Xbox business.

Microsoft could double its Game Pass revenues with 30 million subscribers. At 50 million, Game Pass is generating an estimated $6 billion a year, more than three times what Fortnite made last year and close to the entire annual revenue of Activision Blizzard, the most valuable third-party game publisher in the industry.

Plus all the in game purchases that will now be going to Microsoft, if they are not a money tree I don’t know what is lol.

I didn't say there wouldn't be a money tree for Microsoft, I said it was wishful thinking and unsubstantiated to think it would be a money tree for ESO's developers.
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @HalfRain216
    This, cross play on ESO would require them to merge the 3 servers on each continent.
    on server level this is possible you get more servers and more instances, you need more Cyrodil and IC campaigns.
    However ESO has some bottlenecks, dungeon and BG finder is one, another is the login server.

They would also need to merge the user and character databases so lots would need to rename characters.
    And they need to make an tool to move accounts from one database to another first.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crossplay between PC and consoles? No.

Crossplay between Xbox and Playstation? Yes please.

I think Sony is the problem here, they don’t share the vision of crossplay between consoles, which is a shame. To this day I am waiting for Final Fantasy XIV to launch on the Xbox.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Dunning_Kruger
    Dunning_Kruger
    ✭✭✭✭
    I could only see a future if it was implemented between Xbox and Pc. Why?
    Because the game and the console is owned by the same company, and Microsoft is trying to create an ecosystem of interchangeability of its titles between the two platforms. Will it happen? Likely not. Should it happen? I don’t believe the team could do this without further degradation of performance.

For the Queen bby