The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8100050/#Comment_8100050

Psijic Skill Imbue Weapon Toggle

Reistoph
Reistoph
✭✭
Imbue Weapon is a nice skill, but it's very clunky. If it's toggleable, I think it would be better. Every attack cost resources and heavy attack will cost more, but heal more.
  • Kory
    Kory
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone help me understand what is nice about this skill? It cost over 2k stamina, you're supposed to hit a light attack WITHIN 2 seconds for X amount of damage or else have half the cost refunded to you. The damage isn't substantial, I don't get it.
  • Reistoph
    Reistoph
    ✭✭
    Umm, the damage of Crushing Weapon is around 10K + heal + LA damage. If they can make this skill toggleable or duration or ended when certain amount of attack, it would make it less clunky and more viable. The damage is high if you ask me.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The trick to Imbue Weapon and its morphs is to be weaved into your light attack rotation like a standard spammable. If you use a projectile weapon though I learned you can light attack to send the arrow/magic bolt out and then cast imbue weapon while its in flight. It'll apply the ability to that shot, which is how I weave Elemental Weapon with my Flame Staff.

Another thing is once you weave the ability 5 times it makes up for its lack of damage with the Spell Orb passive which deals a pretty nice chunk of damage to an enemy near you. It is a very clunky skill but only because its meant to reward perfect light attack weaving.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Reistoph
    Reistoph
    ✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    The trick to Imbue Weapon and its morphs is to be weaved into your light attack rotation like a standard spammable. If you use a projectile weapon though I learned you can light attack to send the arrow/magic bolt out and then cast imbue weapon while its in flight. It'll apply the ability to that shot, which is how I weave Elemental Weapon with my Flame Staff.

Another thing is once you weave the ability 5 times it makes up for its lack of damage with the Spell Orb passive which deals a pretty nice chunk of damage to an enemy near you. It is a very clunky skill but only because its meant to reward perfect light attack weaving.

For one, this skill mostly focus on timing to make the most of it. I played from Malaysia where ping here normally 250ms-350ms. Do you think player with this ping can use this kinda timing?
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like with Mesmerize requiring your target to be looking at you, as well as skills like Surprise Attack requiring a flanking attack for it's full effect, this game is not balanced around ping and positioning errors. If your ping is so bad you can't use the ability simply don't use it.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • SodanTok
    SodanTok
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reistoph wrote: »
    Vevvev wrote: »

For one, this skill mostly focus on timing to make the most of it. I played from Malaysia where ping here normally 250ms-350ms. Do you think player with this ping can use this kinda timing?

Yes, easily. Even with 500ms ping its possible to weave in combat, just slowly. As 500ms would not make you take 2s to use light attack.
    Edited by SodanTok on 17 November 2020 16:30
  • Reistoph
    Reistoph
    ✭✭
    Mesmerize is just a buggy skill that need to be fix, and surprise attack has no problem. My aim here is to improved the Imbue Weapon ability, not other skill. Option is:

1. Toggleable
    2. Max of 5 attacks (or more)
    3. Duration
    4. Will automatically execute light attack upon activate

Any of the one will do.
  • SillyPlay
    SillyPlay
    ✭✭
    The skill is a spammable that only works with lights. Some of your suggestions sounds like dk stone fist that sucks and no one uses except tanks.
    Plus if it’s a one time toggle that lasts a decent time it would be too much damage since you’ll still slot a spammable. Might be reworks for it but they would have to change a lot to balance. don’t think they will and don’t think they should
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kory wrote: »
    Someone help me understand what is nice about this skill? It cost over 2k stamina, you're supposed to hit a light attack WITHIN 2 seconds for X amount of damage or else have half the cost refunded to you. The damage isn't substantial, I don't get it.

The damage IS substantial. Hence why in many builds it is the main spammable.

Its extremely clunky and does not weave well without practice, this is the main issue. Its why I do not tend to use it, with the lag in the game how it is, often it wont weave efficiently and thats actually a dps loss.

Do not forget also, that using this as the spammable, procs additional Psijic damage from the passives, this must also be taken into account, its not just about the skill itself when it comes to the damage.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the idea of it being a toggleable skill seems nice on the surface, the amount of damage you could stack would be too much. A mag player could toggle this on and still light attack weave with their spammable, effectively giving every light attack spammable damage added on and the light attack damage and the damage of their other spammable. You would have crushing shock, imbue weapon, light attack, and enchants firing at the same time. And the cost wouldn't really matter, with that much damage at once you could afford to drop a damage set for sustain, or run sustain glyphs/mundus and the spammable damage alone with light attack is going to net you 20K dps.
  • Foodbagger
    My sorc light attacks with elemental weapon hit for 30k+ when they crit, and they crit often. + they apply a condition. Not unusual to have all 3 conditions up.
  • x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaws343 wrote: »
    While the idea of it being a toggleable skill seems nice on the surface, the amount of damage you could stack would be too much. A mag player could toggle this on and still light attack weave with their spammable, effectively giving every light attack spammable damage added on and the light attack damage and the damage of their other spammable. You would have crushing shock, imbue weapon, light attack, and enchants firing at the same time. And the cost wouldn't really matter, with that much damage at once you could afford to drop a damage set for sustain, or run sustain glyphs/mundus and the spammable damage alone with light attack is going to net you 20K dps.

Yeah, the cost wouldn't matter if it saved you a GCD and let you weave in something else with it
  • merpins
    merpins
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The damage for this skill is good, but is outclassed by most mainstay class abilities. However I use this skill as my main attack (the magicka one) on my main and do 65-70k dps consistently for pve, however my build does slightly more damage with Puncturing Sweep, despite having gear to make the other skill stronger. I agree it could use a minor buff, but making it toggle-able or making it a duration would kill balance. Everyone would use it because everyone light attack weaves. If anything, the duration for the effect to happen should increase by a second or two, and either the cost should lower by 5%, or the damage should increase by about 5%. In my opinion, as someone that uses this skill regularly.

Alternatively, it could be a toggle-able skill, but would need the downside of if you activate another skill, the toggle ends, and it can't be used with the sorc ulti (that would be borked).
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It rewards skilled gameplay. It is not about the refund as that only happens when one messes up. Further, it is one of the ways Zos has put an emphasis on weaving basic attacks.

The design of the skill works as intended.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Others have pointed out why making it a toggle would be unwise.

Elemental weapons along with all other ranged magicka spammables need a slight damage buff. Elemental weapons in particular could use some work when it comes to more fluent weaving. I personally would also love if they brought it closer to crystal weapons by increasing its duration from 2 to 3 or 4 seconds. That would also make it less frustrating in pvp.

Especially because the duration of elemental weapons is so short, that you can not use it from max range. Even when you shoot your light attack right away, the charge can be lost by the time your light attack actually hits.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

It rewards skilled gameplay. It is not about the refund as that only happens when one messes up. Further, it is one of the ways Zos has put an emphasis on weaving basic attacks.

The design of the skill works as intended.

^This.^

The skill is only "clunky" for players that haven't actually spent the time to practice with it.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing clunky about this skill. Weave it like every other skill in the game.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not clunky imo either, it's just unforgiving. People get hung up on the animation and details of the tooltip, I haven't been able to see my stam sorc animations for years due to hurricane so I'm not sure why people would watch for the animation queue anyway. There are so many effects going on the screen that you need to learn how to weave without visual queues.

Weaving is about rhythm. Weave it like any other ability in the game, the fact that it procs from light attacks shouldn't matter, besides potentially being more unforgiving to people who don't weave well or deal with lag.

I see this spammable as a utility based skill in comparison to other options and because of that, it's nice to have available from a universal skill line.

For example, while Silver Shards does the same damage, cost, and range, Silver Shards does cleave damage with a small bonus of 3% weapon damage for slotting and a chance for +20% damage to daedra, undead, etc. This feels like a more aoe based spammable I sometimes use in arena's to clear trash faster rather than a single target dps spammable.

Crushing Weapon does the same damage, cost, and range as Silver Shard, but it's single target with a unique proc for extra single target damage pulling it out ahead in dps, it also has a pretty large heal based on damage done and a passive shield when blocking for slotted.

It would be like looking at the options between Rapid Strikes vs Bloodthirst, it has it's place. The magicka morph is also utility based in that it guarantees status effect procs which can be very useful for DK that relies on them or for frost/lightning staves and wall of elements, helping to proc off balance or minor brittle.

That being said, I only use it in pve, expecting a light attack to land in melee range for pvp is pretty annoying.. I'm fine with the way it is.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on 22 November 2020 08:20
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • cheesefome
    cheesefome
    ✭✭✭
    It's not clunky imo either, it's just unforgiving. People get hung up on the animation and details of the tooltip, I haven't been able to see my stam sorc animations for years due to hurricane so I'm not sure why people would watch for the animation queue anyway. There are so many effects going on the screen that you need to learn how to weave without visual queues.

Weaving is about rhythm. Weave it like any other ability in the game, the fact that it procs from light attacks shouldn't matter, besides potentially being more unforgiving to people who don't weave well or deal with lag.

I see this spammable as a utility based skill in comparison to other options and because of that, it's nice to have available from a universal skill line.

For example, while Silver Shards does the same damage, cost, and range, Silver Shards does cleave damage with a small bonus of 3% weapon damage for slotting and a chance for +20% damage to daedra, undead, etc. This feels like a more aoe based spammable I sometimes use in arena's to clear trash faster rather than a single target dps spammable.

Crushing Weapon does the same damage, cost, and range as Silver Shard, but it's single target with a unique proc for extra single target damage pulling it out ahead in dps, it also has a pretty large heal based on damage done and a passive shield when blocking for slotted.

It would be like looking at the options between Rapid Strikes vs Bloodthirst, it has it's place. The magicka morph is also utility based in that it guarantees status effect procs which can be very useful for DK that relies on them or for frost/lightning staves and wall of elements, helping to proc off balance or minor brittle.

That being said, I only use it in pve, expecting a light attack to land in melee range for pvp is pretty annoying.. I'm fine with the way it is.

The fact that you can only strictly and viably use it for PvE proves it's a flawed skill. The dmg reduction passive doesn't make up for the long animation. It's very unforgiving in pvp, You should be able to block between weaves BUT still maintain the cast time/"CLUNKYNESS".

Reason I don't use it in PvP is cause it gets interrupted by everything and unlike most skills, the dmg from it doesn't proc until the full animation has been completed which is horrible.

The skill could use some very minor adjustments. I would start with increasing the amount of time you can hold on to the proc'd auto to maybe 3 seconds. More importantly, make it so that you can still block after the animation starts while still maintaining the bonus dmg instead of it being cancelled and then needing to recast the ability again. It's bad enough that the animation is almost 2 seconds long. OFC you couldnt shoot the auto until the animation is complete. You can't cut the animation short by blocking. They just need to set it so that you can weave blocks between the skill without it being cancelled.
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cheesefome wrote: »

Reason I don't use it in PvP is cause it gets interrupted by everything and unlike most skills, the dmg from it doesn't proc until the full animation has been completed which is horrible.
    what u mean with "interrupted"? Its an instant and ur LA is an instant too. I used the skill on stam and mag Sorc and it works fine.

• fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Imbue Weapon is a nice skill, but it's very clunky. If it's toggleable, I think it would be better. Every attack cost resources and heavy attack will cost more, but heal more.
    Hahahahahaha. Oh wait. You were serious? What you're describing is called Overload and there is a reason why that is an ultimate. Can you imagine the carnage a sorc would wreak in PvP by turning on Imbue, Overload and hitting you with Frags and delayed burst at the same time? No, thank you. That's the equivalent of a proc that hits you for the damage of a spammable every second and you're proposing this can remain active while sustain lasts - stamin or magicka, not ultimate? Completely out of the question.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The fact that you can only strictly and viably use it for PvE proves it's a flawed skill.
    Are we still talking about Imbue Weapon or is it light attacks? Heavy attacks? I run Elemental Weapon on my PvP magblade for the burst. I also run Swallow Soul. The timing of the attack is needed for my combo and blocking or being interrupted is not an issue when you're attacking from stealth. Certain skills for certain classes. Elemental Weapon is viable in PvP, maybe just not for the builds you play.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • cheesefome
    cheesefome
    ✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    The fact that you can only strictly and viably use it for PvE proves it's a flawed skill.
    Are we still talking about Imbue Weapon or is it light attacks? Heavy attacks? I run Elemental Weapon on my PvP magblade for the burst. I also run Swallow Soul. The timing of the attack is needed for my combo and blocking or being interrupted is not an issue when you're attacking from stealth. Certain skills for certain classes. Elemental Weapon is viable in PvP, maybe just not for the builds you play.

[snip]

Not every class is a MagickaNB. Psijic is a Global skilline. Means every class has access to it. It is certainly not a viable pvp skill against players who know what they're doing. To troll with, i guess it's fine. For PvE, its great. As a magnb there are way more important skills to slot than to slot both swallow soul and elemental weapon in the same set up. Literally a waste of a slot.

I can see how it could be useful as a stealth class though but still, there are more important skills nb needs than to slot 2 spammables.

[Edited to remove Baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on 24 November 2020 15:20
  • cheesefome
    cheesefome
    ✭✭✭
    Luede wrote: »

what u mean with "interrupted"? Its an instant and ur LA is an instant too. I used the skill on stam and mag Sorc and it works fine.

the animation.

No one is arguing that it doesnt work as intended.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

[snip]

Not every class is a MagickaNB. Psijic is a Global skilline. Means every class has access to it. It is certainly not a viable pvp skill against players who know what they're doing. To troll with, i guess it's fine. For PvE, its great. As a magnb there are way more important skills to slot than to slot both swallow soul and elemental weapon in the same set up. Literally a waste of a slot.

I can see how it could be useful as a stealth class though but still, there are more important skills nb needs than to slot 2 spammables.
    Unfortunately I am not trolling. The burst combo I run is usually Elemental Weapon (from Cloak) -> Soul Harvest -> Fear (Caluurion) -> Swallow Soul / Impale. The timing of that combo is such that Caluurion activates after Soul Harvest (for the 20% damage buff), at which point people usually dodge roll or block, which is why I Fear.

Magblade healing is in such a state that I need heals from any source I can get. The Swallow Soul heal is not that effective against players, but it is not nothing and I spend a lot of time in IC where it's useful against bosses. I also use Concealed passively on the other bar. It is what it is. I play an open world build. It's the end of a long line of experimentation on my main character. Things are not so black and white. The skill is clearly viable in PvP and my build is on example. I view it as a burst skill, not a spammable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FR0M7hlpFXk
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on 24 November 2020 15:20
  • cheesefome
    cheesefome
    ✭✭✭
    Hahahahahaha. Oh wait. You were serious? What you're describing is called Overload and there is a reason why that is an ultimate. Can you imagine the carnage a sorc would wreak in PvP by turning on Imbue, Overload and hitting you with Frags and delayed burst at the same time? No, thank you. That's the equivalent of a proc that hits you for the damage of a spammable every second and you're proposing this can remain active while sustain lasts - stamin or magicka, not ultimate? Completely out of the question.

Are you trolling with this post?

Unfortunately I am not trolling. The burst combo I run is usually Elemental Weapon (from Cloak) -> Soul Harvest -> Fear (Caluurion) -> Swallow Soul / Impale. The timing of that combo is such that Caluurion activates after Soul Harvest (for the 20% damage buff), at which point people usually dodge roll or block, which is why I Fear.

Magblade healing is in such a state that I need heals from any source I can get. The Swallow Soul heal is not that effective against players, but it is not nothing and I spend a lot of time in IC where it's useful against bosses. I also use Concealed passively on the other bar. It is what it is. I play an open world build. It's the end of a long line of experimentation on my main character. Things are not so black and white. The skill is clearly viable in PvP and my build is on example. I view it as a burst skill, not a spammable.

With the way you play, just about any set up can be used. I dont abuse my stealth this way, cause it really doesnt show case skill, just the ability to hit and run effectively which i dont do nor do i have respect for players that do. I like skill to determine an outcome of a fight, and tonme personally abusing stealth in the manner showcased here is not my definition of skill being showcased. Like i said vs good mechanically sound players this will not work, trust me, or dont i really dont care. Yiu can play it however you want, but this was pretty much what i meant when i said i can see how someone can abuse elemental as a nb. Sorry but this isnt an honorable fight, its practically cheesing. Noobs in IC. That templar was oblivious, didnt ever use cc on you and those other 2 were clearly new.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

[snip]

Keep going, do not listen to the bullies. You make your own builds and that is above what most of them here could muster.

But what is up with the damage? 5,3k soul harvest crits with so much crit damage? Where do you invest your stats into? Sustain?

And regarding what others said, like Elemental weapons being slow, is just an illusion.
    It does feel slow and clunky when compared to something like force shock.

Even I feel that when using force shock. It feels so good and so fast. Though this is nothing more than a feeling. Shoot a dummy for a minute with force shock and elemental weapons and you will find you deliver the same number of hits. Doesn't mean elemental weapon could not use some quality of life.
    Edited by ZOS_ConnorG on 24 November 2020 15:21
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    [snip] Just because Elemental Weapon is not useful for your builds doesn't mean it isn't useful for other people.

I think Elemental Weapon has it's uses in PvE and in some PvP builds, which is all you could ask for. It may be true that Crushing Weapon is not used on either side of the fence, but what a curious thing that is. A heal attached to a spammable is common among magicka skills. How do stamina characters get away with not wanting that? In high-end PvE only DPS counts, I get that, and for PvP I guess you can't beat the skills everyone uses, Dizzying Swing, Snipe, Suprise Attack and Jabs. When you think about it, there is an equally long list of spammables that don't make the grade as meta skills. Flurry, Stone Giant, Cutting Dive and Necro Skulls. That doesn't make them bad skills. In fact, if they're just a hair worse, I think the community often establishes a consensus that doesn't really reflect the true value of the skill.

I like things I find fun to play, but playing something off meta can also be really effective as it surprises people. For example "poop stomp" plus Corrosive Armor (my back bar ulti - I use Leap as well) catches other players out as they're not expecting a stam DK to hit from range and through all their armor. Does that work in duels? No, duelists catch on to it. Does it work in open world? You betcha, even against another stam DK I've duelled and who I know to be as good or slightly better than me.

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 25 November 2020 14:05
  • cheesefome
    cheesefome
    ✭✭✭

[snip]

With the way you play, just about any set up can be used. I dont abuse my stealth this way, cause it really doesnt show case skill, just the ability to hit and run effectively which i dont do nor do i have respect for players that do. I like skill to determine an outcome of a fight, and tonme personally abusing stealth in the manner showcased here is not my definition of skill being showcased. Like i said vs good mechanically sound players this will not work, trust me, or dont i really dont care. Yiu can play it however you want, but this was pretty much what i meant when i said i can see how someone can abuse elemental as a nb. Sorry but this isnt an honorable fight, its practically cheesing. Noobs in IC. That templar was oblivious, didnt ever use cc on you and those other 2 were clearly new.
    [snip] Just because Elemental Weapon is not useful for your builds doesn't mean it isn't useful for other people.

I think Elemental Weapon has it's uses in PvE and in some PvP builds, which is all you could ask for. It may be true that Crushing Weapon is not used on either side of the fence, but what a curious thing that is. A heal attached to a spammable is common among magicka skills. How do stamina characters get away with not wanting that? In high-end PvE only DPS counts, I get that, and for PvP I guess you can't beat the skills everyone uses, Dizzying Swing, Snipe, Suprise Attack and Jabs. When you think about it, there is an equally long list of spammables that don't make the grade as meta skills. Flurry, Stone Giant, Cutting Dive and Necro Skulls. That doesn't make them bad skills. In fact, if they're just a hair worse, I think the community often establishes a consensus that doesn't really reflect the true value of the skill.

I like things I find fun to play, but playing something off meta can also be really effective as it surprises people. For example "poop stomp" plus Corrosive Armor (my back bar ulti - I use Leap as well) catches other players out as they're not expecting a stam DK to hit from range and through all their armor. Does that work in duels? No, duelists catch on to it. Does it work in open world? You betcha, even against another stam DK I've duelled and who I know to be as good or slightly better than me.

[snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 25 November 2020 14:06
  • Reistoph
    Reistoph
    ✭✭
    I think most of it agreed that Imbue Weapon is ok as it is, so I think that's ok. Maybe clunkiness feeling is just from my side, but if everyone ok, then it's ok. Just my humble opinion, tryna make this skill feel more ok from my side. Maybe add more duration, from 4 rather than 2.