The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Radiant Bastion] - this set is even weaker than Ashen Grip....

Ruder
Ruder
✭✭✭✭
Radiant Bastion – Heavy Armor
2 – Adds 1206 Maximum Health
3 – Adds 129 Weapon Damage
4 – Adds 1206 Maximum Health
5 – Deal 10% of all direct damage done to you back to the attacker, up to 4250 damage.

Just to be clear, I`m looking at this set from PvP perspective - it is pure trash.
The average Direct Damage that someone would take vary between 3 and 7k (excluding ultimates).

So lets take the best average value 7k of an ability and add additional 1k to it (light attack weaving) so this is total of 8k damage taken which equals to 800 damage returned to the attacker, I mean WHAT THE HELL? How can you come up with this low %, when you have proc sets with 20-30k tooltips that do 2-3k dps with the only condition to fart at someone with a light attack or gapclose or use some execute ability.

PLEASE BRING MORE COMMON SENSE INTO NEWLY ADDED ITEMS.

This set has a potential for a brawler but is PURE TRASH at this state.
  • Charon_on_Vacation
    Charon_on_Vacation
    ✭✭✭✭
    change the bonus to "reflects 150% of all Damage done by Procs back to the Attacker" :D
  • Xebov
    Xebov
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the feeling the set is bad from every perspective. For PvE the reflected amount is to small and for PvP the exclusion of non direct damage removes alot of sources.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to test sets on PTS before drawing any erroneous conclusions ... especially in PvP.

• Ruder
    Ruder
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to test sets on PTS before drawing any erroneous conclusions ... especially in PvP.

I hope you are joking, there is nothing to test here, it is underwhelmingly weak set, same goes for the new mythic item that heals in PvP, it will be obsolete, any other mythic is 2 times better for PvP.
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ruder wrote: »
    Radiant Bastion – Heavy Armor
    2 – Adds 1206 Maximum Health
    3 – Adds 129 Weapon Damage
    4 – Adds 1206 Maximum Health
    5 – Deal 10% of all direct damage done to you back to the attacker, up to 4250 damage.

Just to be clear, I`m looking at this set from PvP perspective - it is pure trash.
    The average Direct Damage that someone would take vary between 3 and 7k (excluding ultimates).

So lets take the best average value 7k of an ability and add additional 1k to it (light attack weaving) so this is total of 8k damage taken which equals to 800 damage returned to the attacker, I mean WHAT THE HELL? How can you come up with this low %, when you have proc sets with 20-30k tooltips that do 2-3k dps with the only condition to fart at someone with a light attack or gapclose or use some execute ability.

PLEASE BRING MORE COMMON SENSE INTO NEWLY ADDED ITEMS.

This set has a potential for a brawler but is PURE TRASH at this state.

% based sets and skills are buffed by % based things, like major and minor berserk, Malacath and CP. it's going to be better then youre saying. Perhaps i shouldn't of said that :open_mouth:
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • ssewallb14_ESO
    ssewallb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm going zerg diving.
  • aeowulf
    aeowulf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not played with it yet, but the only thing is dislike about this set is the 3 piece weapon damage bonus. I was semi under the impression light & medium sets were for damage dealers and heavy for tanks.

What is ‘weird’ though is there are three limitations on damage -, % done, hard cap and off direct damage only. Wonder how it will work with block & shields.

Where this is likely to shine will be trash...
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you are not looking at this set correctly.

There isn't any cooldown (that I am aware of) on the damage reflect so if someone is hitting you with several different damage sources at once then cumulatively the returned damage is likely to be comparable to a proc set.

And it's not limited to a single target, you can just stack it with the toxic Necro Threws build and return crazy damage to anyone foolish enough (e.g. entire groups) to attack you and not realize why their health keeps going down.

So, sure, it might be weak against one single attack but that's not really how PvP combat usually plays out.
  • Bashev
    Bashev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I think you are not looking at this set correctly.

There isn't any cooldown (that I am aware of) on the damage reflect so if someone is hitting you with several different damage sources at once then cumulatively the returned damage is likely to be comparable to a proc set.

And it's not limited to a single target, you can just stack it with the toxic Necro Threws build and return crazy damage to anyone foolish enough (e.g. entire groups) to attack you and not realize why their health keeps going down.

So, sure, it might be weak against one single attack but that's not really how PvP combat usually plays out.

Nah he is right, the set right now is trash. If I am hit by multiple sources I will die, if I mitigate their damage with block or some mitigation buffs in order to survive then the returned damage will be extremely low.
    Because I can!
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another set with a interesting premise that's dead-on-arrival due to absurd numbers.
    No problem making 25,000 tooltips for brain-dead easy proc sets, but something interesting and requiring/rewarding an active defensive playstyle gets laughable damage numbers.

This set needs to either return a significantly higher percentage of damage taken, or it needs to return a small percentage of damage taken before mitigation.

As it is, it's garbage in PvP and PvE;
    - PvE because of the disparity between health bars. Average tank? 50K health. Average dungeon mob? 50K-400K. Average boss ~6Mill health. Any boss/mob attack attack with high enough base damage to make 10% reflection meaningful, will delete any tank from existence... and even if it didn't, the hard cap makes that useless anyway.
    - PvP it likely quadruple dips in Battle Spirit and damage reduction - Lets assume 5,000 damage tooltip. That's 2500 after Battle Spirit and Probably about 1600 after average mitigation (~33%). Now the damage is "returned" to the attacker... 10% would be 160 damage. Already that's absolutely absurdly low even before calculating Battle spirit and mitigation again which would get you likely somewhere in the realm of 50 damage. From a 5,000 damage tooltip attack.

5,000 damage tooltip. ~50-160 damage returned. Are you kidding me?

Sets like this are why people on the forums say inflammatory things like "Can the Devs do basic math?" or "Do the devs even play their own game?". Even a cursory look at something like this would tell someone with basic knowledge of the game (or game design in general) OR basic math, that it's utterly worthless.

Nowhere, in any situation, can I see this set being useful or even remotely viable, over any other choice.
    A Tank wearing this would get more value out of equipping a damage set and light/heavy-attacking between blocks ALONE.

I understand that they (likely) don't want people running troll builds with perma-block and stacking damage reflection like Thews and Spiked Boneshield and such, but the math on this is absolutely bonkers. One of the trashiest trash-sets they've ever released.
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    Benthar the Unkillable - lvl 50 StamDK - AD
    High Confessor Celosia - lvl 50 MagDK, AD
    Aeolyndra Sunstrider - lvl 50 Magplar Support God, AD
    Maldreth Angala - lvl 50 Magicka PetSorc, AD
    Veldrosa Wyldwind - lvl 50 StamSorc, AD
    M. Night Shatupon - lvl 50 MagBlade, AD
    Vestonia Ironhardt - lvl 50 Warden GuardTank, AD
    Bone Daddy - lvl 50 Stamcro, AD
    Abra Kedaver - lvl 50 Magcro, AD
    CP 1100+
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be fair since Ashen Grip got buffed it's a decent 2 research set.

Anyways, Radiant Bastion is just awful. I don't have much pvp experience so I can't say much there even though I bet it's even worse considering Battle Spirit and players having more mitigation options than mobs. Out of curiosity, I tested it on a Dragon on like a tank build, they hit reasonably hard so the damage return should be like >2000 I thought. I laughed when I saw 247 pop up, and it's even worse if you decide to use a damage shield and it returns nothing. I find it even more laughable that there's a damage cap on it which I don't think it even possible to even hit that cap without dying.

This set really needs to return the base damage of the attack before resistance and other mitigation sources to even be considered worth putting on since it already has the "Direct Damage" restriction attached to it. Maybe then you'll see a pvp use and a solo build use in pve.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be edge cases where this set can shine and it is at least unique. I'll admit it looks very limited in pvp but in pve it provides a unique "afk damage" source which could be broken in the right situation. It doesn't kill fast, but it deals damage while you just stand around. You can kill bosses while you flip the laundry and do dishes... as long as you also have a set that can "afk heal" you at the same time.

In pvp, you could stack 100 people in a tight space with this set and force aoe back at the attacker multiplicatively. Any aoe with no cap would be instant death to the attacker, though one might question the logic of attacking 100 players solo to begin with. On a smaller scale, 6 - 12 stacking this set still multiply the aoe reflect by 6 - 12 turning that small number into something much more interesting.

I haven't tested this so I'm only speculating how it would function.
  • Dragonredux
    Dragonredux
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There may be edge cases where this set can shine and it is at least unique. I'll admit it looks very limited in pvp but in pve it provides a unique "afk damage" source which could be broken in the right situation. It doesn't kill fast, but it deals damage while you just stand around. You can kill bosses while you flip the laundry and do dishes... as long as you also have a set that can "afk heal" you at the same time.

The game would log you out for inactivity before you even kill the mob. Leeching Plate or Crimson Twilight would provide better afk damage.

This set does 10% of the damage after your resistance and mitigation. It also gets mitigated further through the actual mitigation of the enemy so really it does <10%. Also this only works on direct damage so DoT won't do anything useful for you.
  • thegreat_one
    thegreat_one
    ✭✭✭✭
    This set is terribad. I don't expect to be hit by, let alone survive a 43 k Attack. In Pve or otherwise.

My PVP testing did not get higher than 400. average was about 150. Not maxed but i wasn't about to spend the mats/

Edited by thegreat_one on 8 November 2020 06:23
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does "back to the attacker" imply it also mitigates that damage done?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does "back to the attacker" imply it also mitigates that damage done?

Huh, I hadn't thought of that, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. The wording says seems to suggest not, and the various other things in the game with "damage return" like Spiked Bone Shield and DK's Spiked Armor skills don't function that way either, so I would be very surprised if that were the case.

If it were then I'd say the set is slightly less bad; more like an alternative to the Buffer of the Swift set, but with a little added cherry on top of returning a tiny fraction of damage that, on it's own is useless, but might proc other effects? Stil not something I'd chose to wear in most cases, but if I were already wearing Buffer, I might consider running this instead if the 2, 3, 4 set bonuses worked.
    Might even consider it an "upgrade" over buffer, but that in itself creates another problem of destroying another set's 'identity'. :/
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    CP 1100+
  • Ruder
    Ruder
    ✭✭✭✭
    Even if it was 20% reflect the set was still gonna be trash when compared to other pros like Sheer venom, Azureblight etc..
  • kapachia
    kapachia
    ✭✭✭
    This set is effective for a meatbag tank in the middle of zerg/siege in Cyrodiil. Just troll and let burst dps kill themselves before realizing they are hitting Bastion tank in the middle of chaos.
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 Months since introduction, several set updates and passes, and this set still lies dead on the trash heap.
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    CP 1100+
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    But imagine if 2 full groups wearing this stacked at resource and bomber pops ulti...
  • Oakmontowls_ESO
    Oakmontowls_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if it delt unmitigated damage? Would that make it decent?
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 Months since introduction, several set updates and passes, and this set still lies dead on the trash heap.

Another three months and another major update and tuning pass. Still dead as a doorknob. :)
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    CP 1100+
  • xDeusEJRx
    xDeusEJRx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if it delt unmitigated damage? Would that make it decent?

would get nerfed instantly. Thats what happened to oblivion damage, it dealt unmitigated damage and had no cap but was deemed too op because of sload's and nerfed along with sloads back in the sloads meta. Wouldn't last long at all
    Solo PvP'er PS5 NA player

90% of my body is made of Magblade
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Radiant Bastion is crap, Ashen Grip though is not too bad as a starting melee dps set now that procs can crit again.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not every set has to be pvp meta, nor does every set have to be PvE meta.

Nor does every set have to be meta at all.

You could pair this set with the blue cp slottables that also reflect and counter damage but that of course would mean sacrificing your own damage.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Fizzyapple
    Fizzyapple
    ✭✭✭
    I've tested this on PTS against a couple WB's and several add encounters both overland and dungeon and yes it mitigates exactly the amount of damage it sends back to the attacker.

Edited by Fizzyapple on 20 January 2022 12:52
  • brtomkin
    brtomkin
    ✭✭✭
    Fizzyapple wrote: »
    I've tested this on PTS against a couple WB's and several add encounters both overland and dungeon and yes it mitigates exactly the amount of damage it sends back to the attacker.

So, for clarification, does this mean that a 5000 point attack will deal 4500 damage to me and 500 back to the attacker?
    PS5 NA: Pickmans__Model, CP 2000+
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    brtomkin wrote: »

So, for clarification, does this mean that a 5000 point attack will deal 4500 damage to me and 500 back to the attacker?

i believe so, but the point of this thread looks like it was more to discuss the abysmal return dmg

i think a lot of people were thinking that this set might have been the next harbinger set or stack it with harbinger (since that was a huge meta at the time of high hp harbinger tanks)

if you think about it from the dmg mitigation side with the added bonus of it returning a little dmg, that could put it in a better perspective, just dont expect the dmg to do much (as was noted in pvp it double dips on battle spirit AND mitigations which is why its just bad there)

so in pvp using your example a 5000 dmg attack

5000 would get reduced by your armor + battle spirit (before the reflected dmg)

then the reflected dmg would be reduced by target armor + battle spirit
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • Fizzyapple
    Fizzyapple
    ✭✭✭
    brtomkin wrote: »

Yeah that's exactly correct. Keep in mind that it only "blocks" and returns direct damage which from my tests isn't as abundant a thing in the NPC world as you might suspect (tested on PTS). I let myself be killed by a lot of different NPCs and each time I wore either Radian Bastion or Radian Bastion with one piece replaced by one piece from another set so as to have everything exactly the same but have the 5th piece inactive. I then did a third test and slotted revealing flare to compare the 10% damage mitigation that it provides to Radian Bastion (wearing the inactive radiant). Radian Bastion didn't come close. The numbers were exact though. If Radiant Bastion did 500 damage to the attacker that is exactly the amount it mitigated and the longer I lived. My results are only as accurate as Combat Metrics but they were consistent. I wouldn't suggest this set to a friend but there must be some scenario where it might be useful. Although I have no clue as to what that might be.