Maintenance for the week of April 1:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 1

Console players - We want text typing chat?

Uberkull
Uberkull
✭✭✭✭✭
With the announcement that there will be NO text based chat on console, only voice proximity chat, is this acceptable for a MMO? Think of PvP, Trade professions, and general text chat in any MMO, then decide...do we want text typing chat?
Edited by Uberkull on 27 April 2015 00:20
▬ஜ Seeds of War, Piles of Skulls ஜ▬
▬▬▬ஜ twitch.tv/uberkull ஜ▬▬▬

Console players - We want text typing chat? 307 votes

Yes, there has to be text chat in a MMO
62%
cozmon3c_ESOZazaajimanyrabidratsEQBallzzThe_Drexilltallennc.p.garrett1993_ESOx_Kitty_xElder_MartinObscureNaivefanboijazon1972_ESOConquersRook_Masterryanmjmcevoy_ESOWolfaenMisterBigglesworthjustsimon_ESOThesirenSau 193 votes
No, voice chat is enough
25%
NerioHexosArgoniawindgradius_ESOrikimm16_ESOAnrikThymoslordspyderCupp21NewBlacksmurfboilers61b14_ESOdefcon.dealer1b14_ESOdjnapstyb14_ESOJandoGodofgames13b14_ESOAngersRevengeStaticWaxOsteosphil.growb14_ESOSer Lobo 77 votes
I'm not going to play console now that I've seen there is no text chat
12%
Ilawynderetyler3_ESOZhoyzuDiviniusglakSentinelLionxoftAmsel_McKayKendaricSigunoLordSockNebthet78SylvyrVariciteSoulScreamBuggeXEbert1988VaerthJochamoRobo_Hobo 37 votes
  • MercyKilling
    MercyKilling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get used to disappointment. Many people have been asking for this or that feature only to get the generic "we currently have no plans for this" answer.

I am not spending a single penny on the game until changes are made to the game that I want to see.
    1) Remove having to be in a guild to sell items to other players at a kiosk.
    2) Cosmetic modding for armor and clothing.
    3) Difficulty slider.
    4) Fully customizable player housing that isn't tied to anything in the game other than having the correct resources and enough gold to build. Don't tie it to PvP, guild membership, or anything at all. Oh, make it instanced so as not to take up world map space, too. Zeni screwed this one up already.
    Any /one/ of these things implemented would get me spending again, maybe even subbing.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're asking a question directed to console players on a forum where almost everyone is a PC player. Yeah, that'll go over well.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Going to edit this post to add some potential solutions that I posted on later posts in this thread(page 5)

Added a quick video of Warframes console chat on Xbox One (pretty raw, so cut me some slack)
    LINK
    You can use any mobile device with SmartGlass including your phone and in Warframe a USB keyboard plugged into the Xbox One will also work. The experience is the same. When you press X you will get the keyboard pop up on the TV. I honestly don't mind it, I never was one that typed and battled in combat on MMOs...it really not possible. You hotkeyyed common things to say to one button. I want text more for trading, selling, and pvp.

To expand on that, if you eliminate the onscreen keyboard popping up and just let SmartGlass be the keyboard....this is what text chat could look like with SmartGlass
    - This is the SmartGlass app on Xbox One, running on a Ipad. I have added a image of the keyboard over the ESO screen, but understand it will be in your hands on the iPad or Android.
    - The player would activate the chat ability by selecting the appropriate button combo mapped on the controller, LB+Left Dpad for example
    - The SmartGlass keyboard is up and active the entire time, you just have to swipe the screen to make it 'listen' and interact with the chat box that is on the screen.
    - While in chat mode, the buttons, like Y in this case would change to do other things. For this example, Y is mapped to 'Link Item'. Pressing this on the iPad would tell ESO to bring up the regular inventory screen where you can navigate by swiping up and down the iPad screen. Get to the item you want to link and confirm by selecting A.
    - All the normal keyboard function work as expected.
    - The Chatbox would fade away completely if there is no activity after a certain amount of time, set by the player in options. This occurs today in the PC if you set it right.
    wDrh206.jpg

Or on controller with USB keyboard(USB dongle) is another option:
    51rCqHzK64L._SY300_.jpg
    Edited by Uberkull on 29 April 2015 12:53
  • Darkonflare15
    Darkonflare15
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    No I do not like to type anyway because it is not easy to convey feelings and emotions with text. I have to short hand everything in order to get my point across fast. It is not needed since there is plenty of multiplayer games on console which do not need text chat and since this is a going to be a console game for console players and not pc players. Communication will not be a problem.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MCMancub wrote: »
    You're asking a question directed to console players on a forum where almost everyone is a PC player. Yeah, that'll go over well.

Is there a console forum?
  • StaticWax
    StaticWax
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    You forgot:

• I'm only playing console because there is no text chat. ✔

Edited by StaticWax on 27 April 2015 00:52
    I wish nothing but joy for everyone.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    StaticWax wrote: »
    You forgot:

Then honestly you shouldn't be playing a MMO. Grab Dragon Age Inquistion. MMOs are highly social, with the good and the bad (spam), but text is necessary.
  • Naivefanboi
    Naivefanboi
    ✭✭✭✭
    oh voted too fast meant to go for last option.
  • MCMancub
    MCMancub
    ✭✭✭✭
    uberkull wrote: »
    MCMancub wrote: »

Is there a console forum?

Not that I know of, I'm just saying don't expect an accurate result...
  • StaticWax
    StaticWax
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    You forgot:

Then honestly you shouldn't be playing a MMO. Grab Dragon Age Inquistion. MMOs are highly social, with the good and the bad (spam), but text is necessary.

:D I was wondering who the official MMO authority around here was. Thanks for gracing us with your presence.

But... Text is not necessary. Get with a top guild in any mmo. Guess which form of comms they use 95% of the time.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Flaming]
    Edited by ZOS_MichelleA on 27 April 2015 01:34
  • Naivefanboi
    Naivefanboi
    ✭✭✭✭
    You forgot:

:D I was wondering who the official MMO authority around here was. Thanks for gracing us with your presence.

But... Text is not necessary. Get with a top guild in any mmo. Guess which form of comms they use 95% of the time.

lol thats ironic considering the tops guilds in my factions campaign often use all the tools available too them.
    they are in voice comms with a 3rd party app, since voice chat apparently wasnt a priority for pc. and they directing pugs in zone chat,
    pugs even help with call outs for defense.
    no one is claiming guilds dont use voice comms, were saying they use both form of communication....also players bashing is against code of conduct.

[Moderator Note: Edited quote to match moderated version]
    Edited by ZOS_MichelleA on 27 April 2015 01:46
  • StaticWax
    StaticWax
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    You forgot:

But... Text is not necessary. Get with a top guild in any mmo. Guess which form of comms they use 95% of the time. You have very little idea what you're babbling about. Do yourself a solid & cease this sad disply of ignorance.

lol thats ironic considering the tops guilds in my factions campaign often use all the tools available too them.
    they are in voice comms with a 3rd party app, since voice chat apparently wasnt a priority for pc. and they directing pugs in zone chat,
    pugs even help with call outs for defense.
    no one is claiming guilds dont use voice comms, were saying they use both form of communication....also players bashing is against code of conduct.

Yes, and players will continue using the tools available to them. Thankfully in game text chat will not be one of them.

Adapt or move on.

Also, no bash, just facts.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Whoa! When was this change announced?

I already bought the console copies for myself and my daughter! Grrrr. This drove me nuts in Destiny.

Are there any plans to try implementing a chat window into ESO console once again in the future at least?!
    Edited by Thesiren on 27 April 2015 01:53
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Did you mean to post this in General vs BETa console?
    Just asking cause this can really throw off results..I just concerned about the interpretation even though the OP states console
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Get used to disappointment. Many people have been asking for this or that feature only to get the generic "we currently have no plans for this" answer.

I'm noticing that trend. The problem I have is that it was being implemented for console and they pulled it. No matter how bad it is implemented, they should at least let us decide if we want to use it or not.

Neverwinter for XB1 is a average MMO port at best, no where near as clean of a UI as what we saw in the ESO console beta, BUT they left a text chat system in the game. It's clunky to use, but it's manageable.

I just dread trying Cyrodiiil with no text chat, or managing a 500 member Trade guild. How do you even advertise your trade guild in game to get new members? Don't say advertise it in the forum here.....now we are taking massive steps back and acting like Destiny.

I wish they'd left it out of NWO. They don't give us the option to turn it off.

The only text you ever see is 'Dragon in 10, need 2'

And for consoles, Destiny works just fine and players do great things. No text chat was needed, though a looking for group tool like ESO has on consoles would've been real nice in Destiny, outside of the queue system.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thesiren wrote: »

I already bought the console copies for myself and my daughter! Grrrr. This drove me nuts in Destiny.

Are there any plans to try implementing a chat window into ESO console once again in the future at least?!

they tried and failed to do so, they then simply gave up.
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As usual, many people are seeing things through tunnel vision and self interests.

Options are good for an MMO. They are, by their very nature, attractive to people from many different demographics and many different preferences. Removing text chat from an MMO will drastically reduce the game appeal to a huge audience that is expecting a standard feature found in every game listed under the mmorpg tag.

This is not healthy for the game as a whole. Try to see the bigger picture. Options are good. Severe limitations are not. Just remember this when people complain about lack of new content. Which requires revenue. Which requires people. Of all tastes.
    Edited by Alphashado on 27 April 2015 02:02
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thesiren wrote: »

Here..
    ZOS_JasonLeavey wrote: »
    Hey everyone,

We wanted to provide an update on keyboard support for the console version of ESOTU. Unfortunately, the message I posted in this thread yesterday was based on our development plans from earlier in the year, which included keyboard support for chat. However, keyboard support for chat is not something that will be available for the console version of the game. You will be able to use a keyboard for text entry in areas such as guild naming, etc., but not for chatting. Mouse support is not planned for the console version of ESOTU.

As things change in development, we definitely try our best to stay on top of those changes to keep you in the loop, but we know that misinformation can be frustrating. Again, we apologize for the confusion.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just asking cause this can really throw off results..I just concerned about the interpretation even though the OP states console

I meant for General, I can't post on beta because I wasn't invited.

This is the only forum that's available for console right now, I'll see how it turns out.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    You forgot:

You can honestly tell me that, with all the design decisions made in ESO from Beta till today, that this isn't more of a single-player game with multiplayer elements? IT works great that way. Skyrim with friends.

But from the very beginning, this has been a terrible MMO. When you have to literally use a dozen mobs to make it a passable MMO, maybe it's time to admit that what the developers made and intend, versus what many of the players tried to make it into (rather unsuccessfully, I might add) aren't the same thing.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Thesiren
    Thesiren
    ✭✭✭
    Okay, thanks everyone for being so helpful!

That sucks though. I wouldn't have bought the copies had I known that.
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot:

You can honestly tell me that, with all the design decisions made in ESO from Beta till today, that this isn't more of a single-player game with multiplayer elements? IT works great that way. Skyrim with friends.

But from the very beginning, this has been a terrible MMO. When you have to literally use a dozen mobs to make it a passable MMO, maybe it's time to admit that what the developers made and intend, versus what many of the players tried to make it into (rather unsuccessfully, I might add) aren't the same thing.

Whether you want it to be or not, this is an MMO, it is labled as such, even by the devs.

the devs HONESTLY belived they could make an MMO without so many NEEDED features, mostly because they wanted to get the TES fans who were rabid against anything in a tes game that was not in morrowind, problems is, the two are basically impossible to actually mix.

why anyone could think otherwise is beyond me.
    Edited by PKMN12 on 27 April 2015 02:20
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

I meant for General, I can't post on beta because I wasn't invited.

This is the only forum that's available for console right now, I'll see how it turns out.
    Boooo I'm bothered by the fact that active forum participants (who obviously own the PC game) not getting automatic access **especially anyone who qualifies for a console transfer.

It's like they don't have a marketing/sales are within the company.

And if not @ZOS_JasonLeavey I'll take the job with pastime pay to "help out".
    Seriously.

Anyways. If you want on my Xbox page you can see I game footage if you have not been able to.
    The GT is NewBlacksmurf

-PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    PKMN12 wrote: »
    You forgot:

Whether you want it to be or not, this is an MMO, it is labled as such, even by the devs.

the devs HONESTLY belived they could make an MMO without so many NEEDED features, mostly because they wanted to get the TES fans who were rabid against anything in a tes game that was not in morrowind, problems is, the two are basically impossible to actually mix.

There are MANY different MMO's, though. And I've played most of them. From the traditional elements in UO, EQ, SWG, to the interesting Tabula Rasa's first-person shooter. At one point Guild Wars phasing system was seen as so bogus because the worlds weren't persistant for all players, and now look at the franchise.

I've played everything from 2d to full 3d MMO's. Heavily instanced to only one instance for everyone. Sci-fi to fantasy. First person shooter to controlling multiple avatars at the same time in group format. I even tried a turn-based asian MMO that was horrible once.

An MMO without a keyboard? Not the most extreme version of 'massively multiplayer online' game I've seen, for sure.

If your argument is that it's not like WoW, on the otherhand ... well, my only response is 'thank God'.

XBOX NA

• PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot:

There are MANY different MMO's, though. And I've played most of them. From the traditional elements in UO, EQ, SWG, to the interesting Tabula Rasa's first-person shooter. At one point Guild Wars phasing system was seen as so bogus because the worlds weren't persistant for all players, and now look at the franchise.

I've played everything from 2d to full 3d MMO's. Heavily instanced to only one instance for everyone. Sci-fi to fantasy. First person shooter to controlling multiple avatars at the same time in group format. I even tried a turn-based asian MMO that was horrible once.

An MMO without a keyboard? Not the most extreme version of 'massively multiplayer online' game I've seen, for sure.

If your argument is that it's not like WoW, on the otherhand ... well, my only response is 'thank God'.

I am confused, i was pointing out that it WAS an MMO, an MMO missing pretty much hald the options that come standard now a days with an MMO and made by a company that manges to be worse then Cryptic/PErfect World, but still an MMO...not sure where you post even came from.

• Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭
    You forgot:

This game is far from a Skyrim with friends. That would be a MSORPG, and wouldn't need thousands of players online in the same world, the story would affect the world more. All content would be soloable and scale in strength to one or three friends.

I would probably play a Massive single player or co-op rpg more than this which is probably what Elder Scrolls 6 will be. But since they have me play with hundreds of other players. There shouldn't be roadblocks to options,communication, and grouping.
    Edited by Kalifas on 27 April 2015 02:46
    An Avid fan of Elder Scrolls Online. Check out my Concepts Repository!
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    You forgot:

I am confused, i was pointing out that it WAS an MMO, an MMO missing pretty much hald the options that come standard now a days with an MMO and made by a company that manges to be worse then Cryptic/PErfect World, but still an MMO...not sure where you post even came from.

My point is that 'Massively Multiplayer Online' covers many, many different styles and varieties, with many different options. What you consider 'standard', are merely what WoW copied from other games and what every game released since WoW copied from WoW.

But there was a time before WoW, when an MMO could be many different things. Could be fun. Wasn't standardized. Could be unique. ESO by it's realm design is already reaching back to this Golden Age of MMO's, copying so much from Dark Age of Camelot.

I feel there needs to be more diversity and unique design, not less. I know that there is an era of players who only know ONEthing, because no developer has had the guts to step out of the mold.

Who knows? Maybe if ESO does well, which I believe it will do exceptionally well on consoles, the future of MMOs will be priortiy voice chat and no more keyboard reliance.

XBOX NA

• lihentian
    lihentian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    hmm how about a speech system that read message for you? though it might not sound very nice, but at least you could "hear" them ~~~
  • PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kalifas wrote: »
    You forgot:

This game is far from a Skyrim with friends. That would be a MSORPG, and wouldn't need thousands of players online in the same world, the story would affect the world more. All content would be soloable and scale in strength to one or three friends.

I would probably play a Massive single player or co-op rpg more than this which is probably what Elder Scrolls 6 will be. But since they have me play with hundreds of other players. There shouldn't be roadblocks to options,communication, and grouping.

that.....is EXACTLY what i just said. they TRIED to make Skyrim with freinds, but failed.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Kalifas wrote: »
    You forgot:

that.....is EXACTLY what i just said. they TRIED to make Skyrim with freinds, but failed.

Disagree. Players tried to make 'WoW with Skyrim theme' and failed.

Skyrim with friends works pretty damn well in my opinion.

XBOX NA

This discussion has been closed.