The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

No Time Gating please

• geschmonz
    geschmonz
    ✭✭
    [snip]

Time gating, in every case, means the locking of content behind time passed. What you talk about is how some MMORPG especially implemented it. [snip]

[edited to remove quote and baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 12 May 2021 12:33
  • OutLaw_Nynx
    OutLaw_Nynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don’t get it
  • geschmonz
    geschmonz
    ✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    But isn’t this just... Time gating?

Actually it is time gating, the story progress and the content itself is locked behind a year schedule in the story chapters.

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    geschmonz wrote: »
    Time gating, in every case, means the locking of content behind time passed.

But they're not locking it behind "time passed." They're locking it behind "we still have to make it."

Like I said before, by your definition of "time gating" literally everything that's not released All At Once is "time gated" and therefore bad. Television shows, book series (heck, serialized novels, that came out chapter by chapter in monthly magazines", comic books, movie trilogies, sports seasons, game DLC...

(my god, how dare Marvel time gate us with a year between Infinity War and Endgame! /gasp)

edit: the media universe has operated this way for hundreds of years. Content creators can't hope to create content as fast as people consume it.
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 12 May 2021 12:34
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time gating, in every case, means the locking of content behind time passed. What you talk about is how some MMORPG especially implemented it. [snip]

Ummm... Since person after person in this thread seems to be trying to figure out what in eso could possibly meet the definition of “time gated”, perhaps it is you which are using the term incorrectly.

I believe it is commonly understood that time gating implies an artificial with holding of content for a roughly predetermined amount of time.
    In eso they just don’t release content if it is not finished yet, that is literally the only reason.
    After this chapter there will be a dungeon dlc. It’s not even up for testing yet because it is not finished.
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on 12 May 2021 12:34
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know, this thread reminds me of WoW back in the day. When there were actual "time gates" in the story releases - like "we're invading <zone>! Once the players complete enough Establish Beachhead dailies, the next stage of the invasion will unlock!"

Time gating is way more than that. In the case of ESO, the story itself is time gated behind a fixed amount of time. And part of the questing progress.

ESO is not gated on questing progress. I think that is what you were trying to say in the last sentence. The players do not have to achieve a certain quest stage to "unlock" anything, which is what WoW did, and no quests span quarterly updates.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • geschmonz
    geschmonz
    ✭✭
    But they're not locking it behind "time passed." They're locking it behind "we still have to make it."

It does not matter if they still have to create the content. Actually, the story progress and the full contents availability is locked behind a year long schedule, and that is all that counts.

What i propose is to split such chapters in smaller DLCs, but tell a story that starts and ends in the DLC itserlf based on the part of the world it plays in. I think, ZOS would also get the money they needs from those who either sub or stay subbed due to subsequent releases of monthly or two-monthly DLCs.
    Like I said before, by your definition of "time gating" literally everything that's not released All At Once is "time gated" and therefore bad.

Well, i think time gating is bad, if get a cliffhanger for half a year. My wish is that the story of a released region is told to its full extent with the release of that region.
    Television shows, book series (heck, serialized novels, that came out chapter by chapter in monthly magazines", comic books, movie trilogies, sports seasons, game DLC...

Yeah, and i talk about splitting up those chapters into closed DLCs. You might stay subbed to HBO just to see every part of a series every new week, i just do not do that. I wait until the series is fully released to sub then and watch it to its full extent.
    (my god, how dare Marvel time gate us with a year between Infinity War and Endgame! /gasp)

Bad example. Every movie has a closed story.

• geschmonz
    geschmonz
    ✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »
    ESO is not gated on questing progress. I think that is what you were trying to say in the last sentence. The players do not have to achieve a certain quest stage to "unlock" anything, which is what WoW did, and no quests span quarterly updates.

I did not say it is gated behind questing progress. I say that part of the questing experience of a chapter is time gated. That is quite different. And no, i did not "try to say" anything else.

• Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, and i talk about splitting up those chapters into closed DLCs. You might stay subbed to HBO just to see every part of a series every new week, i just do not do that. I wait until the series is fully released to sub then and watch it to its full extent.

I'm going to guess you never watched network TV. Where there was no "wait til it's all available", unless you waited years and lucked into them releasing a season on VHS or DVD. You watched the episode when it came out, and you obsessed with everyone else about that May season cliffhanger until the conclusion came out in September.
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok ok. I think I figured out what you are getting at.

What I think you are upset about is that the chapter and following dlc tells a complete story. You want the chapter itself to be the complete story, while the following dlc to be its own complete story.

While this is a criticism I understand, it is not time gating. It’s more like a movie story that is split into two parts (Infinity War - Endgame).

I am not for or against the year long stories in upon itself, I just want them to not make the story suffer just to fit this mold. Greymoor is an example of bad storytelling in this affect. Elsweyr though was much better. (In my opinion.)

• Jeffrey530
    Jeffrey530
    ✭✭✭✭

It does not matter if they still have to create the content. Actually, the story progress and the full contents availability is locked behind a year long schedule, and that is all that counts.

What i propose is to split such chapters in smaller DLCs, but tell a story that starts and ends in the DLC itserlf based on the part of the world it plays in. I think, ZOS would also get the money they needs from those who either sub or stay subbed due to subsequent releases of monthly or two-monthly DLCs
    Like I said before, by your definition of "time gating" literally everything that's not released All At Once is "time gated" and therefore bad.

Not every movie has a closed story, infinity war and endgame as mentioned is the perfect example where a movie literally ends on a cliff hanger, the hobbit is another example I can come up with, anyways the issue here is your definition of time gating applies to literally every tv show, every mmo and many other media format, and the definition you gave doesn't make much sense, the world itself is time gated lol in your definition unless you can teach zos how to release content that they haven't created yet
  • geschmonz
    geschmonz
    ✭✭
    I'm going to guess you never watched network TV.

I did. I tell you what, i payed a flatrate for all of their content. We europeans partly have public state television which is paid by taxes, and everyone has to pay. You see all content for a flat price. The private companies broadcasted as well, but they were literally free (commercials).

It was never something i had to pay for any kind of specific content. And nowadays, things like Netflix and Amazon prime are popular, where you also do not pay for the content, but just a smal flatrate for all content. And some series release fully, some scheduled. I just stay subbed to them due to their massive content.

Do you think the content in ESO last year was massive?
    Where there was no "wait til it's all available", unless you waited years and lucked into them releasing a season on VHS or DVD. You watched the episode when it came out, and you obsessed with everyone else about that May season cliffhanger until the conclusion came out in September.

Yeah. But the content on those networks was overwhelming. I cannot say that about nowadays MMORPGs, which are even way more expensive than a typical network or streaming service, which offers hundred of movies and series.

It i would have to pay $15 for all of Microsofts games including ESO+, i would stay subbed for sure.

Apples and Oranges.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Time keeps everything from happening at once. It has since almost the beginning of time. You are tilting at windmills with this one.
    If you want to only sub two months out of the year and do everything quick as possible fine. Nothing wrong with that if it is how you enjoy the game. Many players like to take their time and mosey about. We get new content each quarter. Might as well be interconnected stories. Whether it is a continuation of a story or a whole new story you get the new stuff once every three months. Keeps the game fresh for those who like to follow the stories and doesn't interfere with players that decide to wait and do everything at once.

Just like you wait for a full series to be released you can wait for a full years worth of content to be released.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • geschmonz
    geschmonz
    ✭✭
    Jeffrey530 wrote: »
    the world itself is time gated lol in your definition unless you can teach zos how to release content that they haven't created yet

I do not ask them to release content they have not created yet. I ask them to release content with closed story archs which are available once the content patch is being released. Means, small DLCs and no year long story chapters where there is no monthly update, but a half year update with new qusting content.

Better small content updates every month than one large content update twice a year.
  • omegatay_ESO
    omegatay_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Far as I know zos does not time gate any content. It's the one main reason, (among others) that I enjoy eso.
    IF zos started down the same road as World of Time gating, (Warcraft) I would be gone faster than Flash. Keep that in mind zos.
  • geschmonz
    geschmonz
    ✭✭
    Far as I know zos does not time gate any content. It's the one main reason, (among others) that I enjoy eso.
    IF zos started down the same road as World of Time gating, (Warcraft) I would be gone faster than Flash. Keep that in mind zos.

But the story content of the actual chapter is time gated.
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    For me, all this thread shows is that different people play the game for different reasons and are inspired to keep playing by different things (dungeons and trials, PVP, achievement hunting, item collecting, housing, role-playing, etc, etc.).

I like questing, too, but I tend to take each quest as a separate entity, sometimes part of a larger story and sometimes a stand-alone. I don’t care about doing the quests in order. I may have cared about that once, back in 2014, when the game started, but I stopped caring about it quickly because there were so many other things to do in the game — exploring multiple zones, joining the Mages, Fighters, and all the other guilds and learning their stories and skills, crafting, creating new characters and learning new classes, housing when it entered the game, improving my combat skills, occasionally doing group content, etc.

By now, there are still a few zones where I haven’t completed all the zone stories, and yet I’ve been here (and a subscriber) since closed beta. I haven’t run out of content yet, so I guess I don’t understand the OP’s problem. But I attribute that to having different play styles, not to any inherent flaw in the way the game’s content is released.

ESO has held my interest for more than 7 years, so even though I didn’t particularly enjoy Greymoor and have my doubts about the upcoming chapter (because companions are so disappointing on the PTS), I am still here and still forking over my monthly subscription fees. So whatever “time gating” is, it doesn’t seem to have any effect on me!
    Edited by DarcyMardin on 12 May 2021 00:00
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Elsonso wrote: »

I did not say it is gated behind questing progress. I say that part of the questing experience of a chapter is time gated. That is quite different. And no, i did not "try to say" anything else.

Nothing in the chapter is time gated, unless you consider the prologue quest.
  • omegatay_ESO
    omegatay_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭

Really? Like what? Explain. Because I have yet to find anything stopping me when I quest.
  • cyclonus11
    cyclonus11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    TIME GATE

ttshjR.gif
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Really? Like what? Explain. Because I have yet to find anything stopping me when I quest.

I am feeling like this thread is not communicating thoughts well...
  • hizium
    hizium
    ✭✭✭
    What i propose is to split such chapters in smaller DLCs, but tell a story that starts and ends in the DLC itserlf based on the part of the world it plays in. I think, ZOS would also get the money they needs from those who either sub or stay subbed due to subsequent releases of monthly or two-monthly DLCs.

You mean like how the chapters were before Elsweyr? ZoS changed to a one-year model for a reason and since they still haven't changed it back after 2 years, the yearly model probably worked well (for profit, I mean).

It was an excellent example. There are several movies that don't have a closed story, but a closed PART OS THE STORY and then a cliffhanger. Examples are: I Am Number Four; Alita: Battle Angel and Arrival. There are several more that we can say like Harry Potter movies, Marvel movies and etc. These movies have cliffhangers because they have (or at least had planned) sequels. WHICH IS EXACTLY HOW THE ESO YEARLY CONTENT WORKS. The story from Northern Elsweyr was closed with a cliffhanger. The Southern closed with a cliffhanger and (once you completed both) you got the closing end for dragon's story. The same happened with greymoor and the same will happen with blackwood. They are doing pretty much what you were suggesting (fragmenting in smaller DLCs) but now adding a third smaller story that connects both of them.

I can't see how only selling the DLCs for crowns would work better since the players ALREADY have the option to buy the DLCs for crowns (or money on release) and still THERE ARE SEVERAL PLAYERS WHO DON'T BUY BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO. Really, we have several options for buying the DLCs and now we have more quests than the older model. It's relly a win-win for everyone.

• VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please correct me if I'm misunderstanding things, but would you prefer that the existing content is created and then doled out to us in bite-sized pieces so you always have something to do? Or that the entire content is bundled and dumped on us at once?

Content takes time to create. Each year, ZOS is putting out 4 Dungeons, 2 zones, a trial, possibly an arena, and whatever new feature they are selling with the trial. We don't know exactly how long it takes them to write the story, record voice actors, design the assets and new monsters, and code the new features from scratch. We do know that each PTS Cycle takes 5-6 weeks, and certification for consoles takes roughly two weeks. I say it's reasonable to assume that it takes ZOS around 9 months to put all the new content together and test/certify it (and 12 months is eminently reasonable when we consider that there are base game updates, balancing on classes and sets, and a lot of work on performance being done on top of *new content*).

ZOS does not appear to develop these all in a giant batch and then slowly release them. Some elements are probably done all together, such as the writing and voice actor work, while many elements are reused. However, some assets that only appear in Q3 and Q4 are likely developed later, and a lot of the balancing for Q3 and Q4 is redone after Q2. In this case, there's some flexibility for if a new feature isn't working for Q2, they can push it back to Q4 or something.

But let's assume for the sake of argument that ZOS did decide to change their development schedule to make it so they had a full years worth of content ready to go at once. What does that look like,, practically? Let's use "The Dark Heart of Skyrim" as an example.

Mega Dump: Would you prefer that all of the content is dumped on us at once? Assuming that ZOS had it all ready to go at one time, we'd get:
    Icereach Coven dungeon, Unhallowed Grave dungeon, Prologue quests, Western Skyrim, Blackreach Caverns, Antiquities, Kyne's Aegis Trial, Stone Garden dungeon, Castle Thorn Dungeon, Markarth, Vateshran Hollows Arena, and the Epilogue.

While that seems like a lot of content, the main storyline of Greymoor only takes around 30 hours to compete. I finished Markarth's main storyline in two play sessions.

If your complaint is that you'd rush through the new content and then be left hanging, waiting for more new stuff to play, I fail to see how a "megadump" helps. Its not like ZOS can put out all that amount for brand new content for you every month or two. But hey, at least you wouldn't have to worry about any cliffhangers?

Piecemeal: if the concern is that you do the Chapter and then sit their twiddling your thumbs, such that you want the Chapter split into smaller DLC with more frequent release dates, how do you see that working?

Something like?
    Jan 1st - Icereach Coven Dungeon
    Jan 15th - Unhallowed Grave dungeon
    Feb 1st - Greymoor Prologue
    Feb 15th - Greymoor Tutorial & 1st Main Story Quest
    Mar 1st - 2nd, and 3rd Greymoor story quests
    Mar 15th - 4th and 5th Greymoor Story quests
    Apr 1st - 6th and 7th Greymoor Story quests
    Apr 15th - final Greymoor quest,
    May 1st - Western Skyrim Delves and Public dungeon
    May 15th - Antiquities skill line
    June 1st - Kyne's Aegis Trial
    June 15th - Stone Garden Dungeon
    July 1st - Castle Thorn Dungeon
    July 15th - Markarth Prologue quests
    Aug 1st - 1st and 2nd Markarth zone story quests
    Aug 15th - 3rd and 4th Markarth story quests
    And so on.

Lots of cliffhangers there, and it really breaks up the flow of the Western Skyrim and Markarth zones, as you can see them opening up piecemeal week by week. If ZOS did this, I think we'd see a return to the railroaded questing that we had before One Tamriel. (So yes, this means ZOS could do it well if they wanted to. On the other hand, ZOS already knows the majority of their playerbase doesn't care for railroaded questing.)

I'm looking at the two options above and thinking that neither seems ideal.

The "megadump" option looks like a ton of content, but when that's approx 9 or so moths of work, well, it's not going to take me 9 months to play it. ESO already has a lot of players who basically show up for the new content, play it, and then go to other games until the next batch of new content. This is only going to make that gap of time longer, because new content takes time to create.

The "piecemeal" approach would require a whole new design to questing in small segmented zones. It could be done, though fans of the open world TES games would find it pretty lacking in the same way they disliked the railroaded questing pre-One Tamriel. And while it would lessen the amount of time in between bits of new content being released, it would be more akin to a TV series running half hour episodes every two weeks. That's not necessarily a great recipe for player retention either.

But maybe you see something different in all that.
    Edited by VaranisArano on 12 May 2021 01:34
  • EvilAutoTech
    EvilAutoTech
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP has suggested 6 to 12 story dlc per year. It's still a year long schedule. If the dlc were small enough to release every month, the OP would finish every one within a week and would still have the same issue. If you subscribe only when there is enough new quests to last a month or two, you will still only subscribe when there is enough questing to last a month or two. The only thing that is "gained" is that none of the tiny releases are related to any other release.

As has already been mentioned, there is more to this game than questing.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Well, i think time gating is bad, if get a cliffhanger for half a year. My wish is that the story of a released region is told to its full extent with the release of that region.
    Television shows, book series (heck, serialized novels, that came out chapter by chapter in monthly magazines", comic books, movie trilogies, sports seasons, game DLC...

• Each Chapter and DLC zone has it's own individual and fully realized story with a conclusion. IDK what your on about but I think everyone here agrees it makes no sense.

• Again the story of each zone is told within each individual DLC. There is no abrupt end and a zone has no resolution to the crisis at hand. Clockwork City is saved from its threat. Vvardenfell faces down the Daedric tricksters. Summerset stops an invasion. Elsweyr ends one Dragon's attempt at power. Dragonhold ends another Dragon's attempt at power.

• You clearly want a Netflix model where everything is dropped all at once. That is insanely bad business for a media company and only works for Netflix because they have so much content rotated in and out that you can always find something new. Netflix also doesn't care if you drop subs. NO OTHER STREAMER can operate like that, esp if they plan to produce original content. YOU ARE EXACTLY THE TYPE OF INDIVIDUAL THOSE COMPANIES ARE TRYING TO CHANGE AS A CUSTOMER BECAUSE PLAYING DOUBLE DUTCH WITH A CONSUMER BASE IS A BAD WAY TO OPERATE A LONG TERM SERVICE.
  • geschmonz
    geschmonz
    ✭✭

How many players, do you think, play Trials?

If i could take a guess, it is not even a one digit percentage.

How many players, do you think, play PVP?

Probably a bit more, as you do not need a premade group to play it.

Same goes for group dungeons.

Fact is, that everything that needs a premade group, a guild and a schedule is played by a very few only. One of the main selling points of ESO is the great questing content, but surely not new trials.

That could change, if trials were available for solo players. Blackwood brings companions. Which is the best chance to allow players to customize that system to allow them to actually play trials without the need to join a rock hard scheduled trial guild.
  • trackdemon5512
    trackdemon5512
    ✭✭✭✭✭

How many players, do you think, play Trials?

If i could take a guess, it is not even a one digit percentage.

How many players, do you think, play PVP?

Probably a bit more, as you do not need a premade group to play it.

Same goes for group dungeons.

Fact is, that everything that needs a premade group, a guild and a schedule is played by a very few only. One of the main selling points of ESO is the great questing content, but surely not new trials.

That could change, if trials were available for solo players. Blackwood brings companions. Which is the best chance to allow players to customize that system to allow them to actually play trials without the need to join a rock hard scheduled trial guild.

I feel like I’m being trolled here because again none of this makes sense or is remotely based in facts. You’re clearly a new player otherwise you would have known that a large percentage of the active player population gets into both trials and dungeons. Between the activity finder, guilds encouragement, and people always asking in chats within a game that doesn’t segment its servers many players know of and regularly engage in PVE group content.

Far more engage in PVP content with Cyrodiil and BGs being their main reason for playing and only occasionally engaging in PVE group content for great synergy gear. I think anyone in PVP seeing the prevalence of sets like Caluurion or Crimson or Spell Power Cure can easily confirm that.

Add on top of that game celebration events that push and encourage players to do PVE and PVP group content and you have a rather high level of engagement in group activities for active players.

Trials will NEVER be made for solo characters. I can’t think of any game that has raids that are designed to be done solo. Every trial in this game has a group mechanic.

Companions solves a player issue that has crept up over the years: certain play styles are a chore to progress with. Playing through and progressing in solo content as a tank or healer is considerably more time consuming than as a DD. Companions look to make that easier by providing basic assistance. But the key thing there is that the assistance is basic at best. The AI of companions will never be of the caliber that they will complete essential key mechanics to get past PVE group content. They can fill a spot but they aren’t a true substitute to run the game alone and never will be. It’s a waste of resources and money to design them as such.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I really don't think that a single player + companion trial would be a trial. It would just be a private delve or something like a public dungeon that only you are in.

End-game group content does not exist because a ton of people play it. As I see it, that content exists because those who do play it influence others to join the game. If that content does not exist, then those group players wander off. They take all the people they would have influenced to join ESO with them.

There is a lot of questing in this game, and the game supports solo players. That influences new players to join ESO. Making trials so they can be done solo+companion is preaching to the same audience. It will bring in the same people who would have joined without that.

ESO needs a variety of content to attract new players. Those new players may not even end up spending the bulk of their time in the game doing what attracted them. They may see a Trial or Vet dungeon run and think that ESO looks cool and fun and end up doing little more than questing and low or mid level content. They may join ESO, power level to Trials and Vet dungeons, and go on to influence others.

This is why I think that the poorly performing Cyrodiil is a problem. They need to fix it or close it down. Yes, it can be fun, but I think it takes a skilled person to make it look like fun, without slamming ZOS for performance or balance problems that eat away at the new player potential.

Edited by Elsonso on 12 May 2021 12:28
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, if you like the "mega dump" style of being able to do all the content in a storyline with no breaks and no cliffhangers, I suggest that you stay one year behind ESO's release schedule.

After the new Chapter launches, the old one becomes DLC, so you could then subscribe to ESO+ for a month or two, binge-play the whole storyline from the previous year-long story arc, and then leave until the next Chapter launches. Rinse repeat, always staying a year behind.

But you'll be waiting a year or so in between sessions of binge-playing ESO, because it's not like ZOS can dramatically speed up their development schedule without cutting corners. Nor is ZOS particularly likely to dump a year's worth of content at once for their whole playerbase, because binge-playing then going to other games for the rest of the year is, uh, not at all ideal for an MMORPG who has to keep the servers active 24/7.
  • ZOS_Lunar
    ZOS_Lunar
    admin
    Greetings!

We've removed some posts from this thread as they violated our rules on baiting. We understand that everyone has their own opinions they want to express, but we also want the forums to be a constructive platform for ESO and its community. If a discussion gets heated and turns into a debate, remember that you should stick to debating the post and/or thread topic. It is never appropriate to resort to personal comments or jabs about those participating in the thread discussion.

Thank you for your understanding, and please keep the Community Rules in mind when posting on the forums.
    The Elder Scrolls Online - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post