The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which has the most players - Players that just PvP, just PvE, or players that play both?

• RogueShark
    RogueShark
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You enjoy playing BOTH PvP and PvE?
    I primarily PvE and the only "serious" content I do is PvE.
    But I do really enjoy PvP, too. Majority of my PvP is during events for the tasty double AP, but sometimes I just get the urge to jump in and do it regardless. I suck at it, but I still have tons of fun running around on janky builds. :) Some of my most fun ESO moments have been in PvP and I've met some really cool people in Cyrodiil.
    PC NA
    Will heal DPS for memes.
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only play PvP
    ImSoPro wrote: »
    because if you’ve been fans of the earlier ES single player games then idk how you don’t want to play the PVE.

Quality of quests doesn't compete, except for some good DLC storylines. Single player games are also harder in general questlines, so you can't kill bosses while you are half-asleep. Veteran overland would definitely help here.

Dungeons/Trials is just not my cup of tea. I don't feel like there is something very hard at memorizing & following mechanics. Lots of content just requires you to have certain DPS checks on top, which falls down to building one meta build (because duh, there is no damage-sustain-survivality triangle here, you just need damage, so only one build is the best build - one that has top DPS) and memorizing a rotation.

It all sounds very mechanical to me, I like the unpredictability of fighting with players way more. I like building weird stuff, and PvE doesn't offer a way to do weird build that would have some benefits compared to meta, while in PvP you can do that.

And idk about other MMOs, that's definitely not the first MMO I play (duh I played a whole lot in my life), but I didn't jump off from something to ESO when I started.
  • noneatza
    noneatza
    ✭✭✭
    You only play PvE
    Im a competitive pve player mostly raiding and rarely flipping items.
    I can appreciate that pvp is well made in eso but i completely despise it. I only do it for the 50 crystals because i seem to always need them.
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MacCait wrote: »
    Every single PVPer does both. 100% of them. We have to run dungeons, farm leads, etc for monster sets and gear. Vateshran 2H/Staff anyone? That's from PVE. Crimson Twilight? From PVE.

There should be a 4th option "I only like PVPing, but also PVE because gear useful in PVP is locked behind PVE walls".

I get your point. Its ok though, I think it goes without saying that every PvP-er will PvE just for gear...

But would those PvP'ers PvE at all if they didn't need to?

So the question is really which one do you play? Not which one do you have to play ;)

If the question is "Which game mode do you prefer" my answer is PVP 100% of the time, in every game I've played since Quake 3/Unreal Tournament back in 1999. If I could avoid PVE outside of grinding to max level, and grinding for gold, I 100% would.

But the question positioned was which category has the most players, people that play PVP or people that play PVE, which is a different question. I was commenting that the poll itself is missing an option.

The outcome of votes gives an idea of percentage of players and what they play, presenting a rough idea of which category has the most players from forum users voting, but that is not the question you vote on, the question you vote on is what do YOU play.

The first two options simply ask what we play, regardless of what we enjoy playing. Just "what task do you do in the game". The 3rd option suggests we enjoy doing both...so it sets a new standard of options because now it asks what we "enjoy", rather than simply what task we do, because you can do a task without enjoying it.

With the currently proposed poll options, I do not fit into any of those 3 categories. I don't just PVP. I don't just PVE. So I do not fit into options 1 or 2. I do both PVP and PVE, but I don't enjoy doing both, so I don't fit into category 3. I fit into a 4th category, which is not listed in this poll: "I enjoy PVP, but also PVE as only a task because I have to if I want gear for PVP". I don't actually enjoy PVE very much, but there is no option for that in this poll.

Well, I just presumed that if someone were ONLY playing PvP, or ONLY playing PvE... they would be enjoying it. So I did not add the word 'enjoy' B)

There is also a 'NOTE' under description that indicates you could just click PvP as you only PvE to get gear and do not enjoy it.
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You only play PvE
    Ive played a lot of PVP in the past but in recent times Ive only played PVE.

Maybe after Im done with all the new stuff of next chapter I'll give it a try again, usually the server performance ends up being pretty frustrating around prime time.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only play PvP
    usually the server performance ends up being pretty frustrating around prime time.

Try BGs. They are much better than cyro in terms of performance. PC/EU too.
  • peacenote
    peacenote
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I play and enjoy both.
    My #1 wish for ESO Today: Decouple achievements from character progress and tracking.
    • Advocate for this HERE.
    • Want the history of this issue? It's HERE.
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for everyones votes.
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You only play PvE
    I can't really vote because I play both PvE and PvP but I wouldn't go as far as saying that I enjoy the latter.

Is something that I have to do because some of the stuff I require happens to take place in PvP areas.

Fortunately despite the constant changes I can still create 'builds' that are so obnoxiously unengaging that they pretty much ensure that anyone who chooses to initiate PvP with me is going to have as good a time as myself.

There is solace to be found in making sure that one's time is not the only one wasted, every encounter is as unrewarding as it can be and one's entertainment value is a low as it can be achieved.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You only play PvP
    I'm just not motivated to do any grinding in order to beat end game NPCs. The only thing that has me farming gear/mats or leveling skill lines is the desire to try different things in PvP.

There's no satisfaction for me in PvE. Defeating other players in PvP is my source of enjoyment in ESO.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both.
    I enjoy group play in PvE (12 man raids) and PvP either solo or in smaller groups of 5-6.
  • PizzaCat82
    PizzaCat82
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Every single PVPer does both. 100% of them. We have to run dungeons, farm leads, etc for monster sets and gear. Vateshran 2H/Staff anyone? That's from PVE. Crimson Twilight? From PVE.

There should be a 4th option "I only like PVPing, but also PVE because gear useful in PVP is locked behind PVE walls".

Then there should be a 5th option I only like PVE but also do PVP because I want to get gear, motifs, and recipes that are locked behind PVP walls.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To enjoy PVP you must PVE to get the necessary power, levels, and gear to be proficient and strong enough to survive. Because of this I'll see many PVPers I recognize in PVE areas and I'll wave and give a shout out to them when I can. Like yesterday I ran into Ahtu, and while he is my enemy in Cyrodiil, I waved and said hello!
    Edited by Vevvev on 12 May 2021 14:54
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Lugaldu
    Lugaldu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You only play PvE
    I only play solo. When I travel to Tamriel, I want to switch off and immerse myself in the world - and for me that doesn't go well with other players. Back then I played GW with others and at some point it got too much on my nerves (beside some other negative things), since then I have no longer been interested in any group play or pvp.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you’re looking for an accurate measurement you won’t find it here, it’s just the nature of forums. I used to work for another company that ran an ongoing online world, if this one is anything like that you can probably figure maybe one player in 1000 will visit the forums even once, of that fraction approximately 1 in 100 will post at any point during that time with the game.

The most likely population distribution, given all visible records of achievements on different platforms as well as the absence of any new cash generating PVP content, would suggest a population breakdown of approximately 94% PVE, specifically open world questing, with a 6% population crossover with PVP, 3% serious dungeon players, i.e. those who do veteran content of any sort, and a similar fraction for PVP only.

If the percentages were different to this the release schedule will be completely changed. Companies make content to service revenue streams which provide the most stable return. They do not make content for parts of the game that do not generate them any money or that they do not expect to.

Ultimately the most important thing is what do you enjoy, answer that question and play to the best of your ability, do not concern yourself with the preferences of others, there will always be those who do not like what you do, this is a natural part of the world.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    PizzaCat82 wrote: »

Then there should be a 5th option I only like PVE but also do PVP because I want to get gear, motifs, and recipes that are locked behind PVP walls.

I don't know what PVP gear can't be bought from traders but sure, why not add a 5th option.
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    I can't really vote because I play both PvE and PvP but I wouldn't go as far as saying that I enjoy the latter.

Is something that I have to do because some of the stuff I require happens to take place in PvP areas.

Fortunately despite the constant changes I can still create 'builds' that are so obnoxiously unengaging that they pretty much ensure that anyone who chooses to initiate PvP with me is going to have as good a time as myself.

There is solace to be found in making sure that one's time is not the only one wasted, every encounter is as unrewarding as it can be and one's entertainment value is a low as it can be achieved.

You may have missed this note on the first page:

NOTE: All PvP players have to PvE to get PvP gear, but many would likely not PvE if they did not have to. So if you are solely a PvP player, tick PvP ;)

Likewise, if you only go to PvP to get skyshards and wouldn't PvP oterwise, just tick PvE ;)

Edited by MacCait on 12 May 2021 15:06
  • ApoAlaia
    ApoAlaia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You only play PvE
    ApoAlaia wrote: »

You may have missed this note on the first page:

NOTE: All PvP players have to PvE to get PvP gear, but many would likely not PvE if they did not have to. So if you are solely a PvP player, tick PvP ;)

Likewise, if you only go to PvP to get skyshards and wouldn't PvP oterwise, just tick PvE ;)

I most certainly did. Thanks for the heads up!
  • MacCait
    MacCait
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you’re looking for an accurate measurement you won’t find it here, it’s just the nature of forums. I used to work for another company that ran an ongoing online world, if this one is anything like that you can probably figure maybe one player in 1000 will visit the forums even once, of that fraction approximately 1 in 100 will post at any point during that time with the game.

The most likely population distribution, given all visible records of achievements on different platforms as well as the absence of any new cash generating PVP content, would suggest a population breakdown of approximately 94% PVE, specifically open world questing, with a 6% population crossover with PVP, 3% serious dungeon players, i.e. those who do veteran content of any sort, and a similar fraction for PVP only.

If the percentages were different to this the release schedule will be completely changed. Companies make content to service revenue streams which provide the most stable return. They do not make content for parts of the game that do not generate them any money or that they do not expect to.

Ultimately the most important thing is what do you enjoy, answer that question and play to the best of your ability, do not concern yourself with the preferences of others, there will always be those who do not like what you do, this is a natural part of the world.

Yes, that's not a problem. This was brought up on page 1 already ;)

I was just looking for a rough idea based on players that actually use the forum, and who actually take part. If then considering the actual percent of players as a whole, including the much larger percentage of players who do not use forums, and those who do but rarely take part in polls, I imagine you can just inflate the numbers, but still see a similar percentage

please excuse my frequent typos... corrected
    Edited by MacCait on 12 May 2021 15:12
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like both, although I'm spending more time in PvE because I like taking my sweet time and just want to have fun with like-minded people. It doesn't surprise me at all that most people who play Elder Scrolls Online prefer PvE though, not even because it's like that with most videogames, but even more so when you take a good look at this particular game's history and its predecessors.