The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Stop this "year long story line" trend

• Hydra9268
    Hydra9268
    ✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    New content is new content.
  • Hydra9268
    Hydra9268
    ✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    You need a third voting option. "I'm impartial" for those who are neither for or against the change (in other words, "meh").
  • opaj
    opaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the concept of year-long story lines, and I enjoy much of the stories being told. I don't entirely agree with some of the creative decisions in how they implement the year-long stories, so I wouldn't necessarily say "this is fine," either. I'd like to see them further refine their approach to these stories.
  • Hydra9268
    Hydra9268
    ✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    opaj wrote: »
    I like the concept of year-long story lines, and I enjoy much of the stories being told. I don't entirely agree with some of the creative decisions in how they implement the year-long stories, so I wouldn't necessarily say "this is fine," either. I'd like to see them further refine their approach to these stories.

Hence my recommendation to add a third voting option, "I'm impartial."
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    I think the year long stories would go over well if they ended with the chapter rather than the zone DLC. At this point it feels like we are buying an extended prologue for the DLC.

I would rather them go back to the multi year stories though, they feel more epic and meaningful like you are actually fighting a war against some powerful outside force.

The chapters don't even really have to be super connected. With the Triad, Morrowind and Clockwork City were almost stand alone from each other, With hints of things to come, then the story got tied up with Summerset nice and neat. Only the last chapter in the story has to be directly tied to the other stories, the others can do their own thing with a common theme.
    Edited by Greasytengu on 11 May 2021 21:32
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    I think its worth them trying something new, it has been a while.

But year-long-story or no, what they really need is something different.
    A lot of the new mechanics tend to be re-skins, take the various mechanics that are all based on delves for example. And a lot of the new mechanics tend to just layer on top of everything else.

The dungeons are always good, the trails are always good. The worlds are well designed but it would be interesting to see them try something new. The stories are good but the questing system is identical to that which the game launched with. More can be done, just look at wow.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, this is fine
    I don't care about the arc of a story line. What I DO care about is that it is engaging. That being said, better writing is sorely needed. Summerset was that last story line that held my interest. Since then I make it about a third of the way through before all I want is to get through it quickly for the skill points.
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    Elsweyr and Dragonhold were good. Not fantastic, but quite good. Greymoor was a disappointment for me, but then that is my least favorite part of Skyrim and the plot was a bit of a mess, Markarth more than made up for it thought, it is easily my favotire zone now.

It's a new story format and that would take them a bit to get used to. I'm going to see how this year goes before drawing any conclusions as to whether or not this is a good idea, but as things stand right now I'm more for than against.
  • Thannazzar
    Thannazzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    TBH I'm fine with the year long story. I just wish ZOS would consult with players on new systems before they start developing, rather than have us bug test a finished product that they have no intention of changing. Simple things like:

1.is customising companions beyond costumes important to you?
    2. If companion AI is too difficult to develop, would you rather have house guests with stories and unique quests and\or more animal intelligence combat pets?
    3. What abilities do you think an expanded vampire skill line should have?

Simple stuff, ask your customers what they want.
  • Malthorne
    Malthorne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    It’s predictable and monotonous. Maybe I’m placing to much blame on the year long method of delivery for the story idk... but the writing quality has certainly diminished since Summerset and Murkmire.
  • geschmonz
    geschmonz
    ✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    Yeah, i also think the story should not be time gated. It should all be available in the new zone from start.

New DLCs should be released instead (which also would allow ZOS DLC monetization via the crown shop or extended subs from ESO+), where we get new regions with new quests and new stories. Instead just adding a few new questlines over one full year.

And yes, that IS time gating.
  • Iccotak
    Iccotak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think ZOS should do 3 content drops a year instead of 4. More time for polish and quality control
  • Rudrani
    Rudrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    Morrowind and Clockwork are so good its amazing.
    In comparison the rest of the stuff before and after is mostly underwhelming
  • matterandstuff
    matterandstuff
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    The year-long story lines, as the OP noted, really lend themselves to an extremely predictable end of Q2 and plot for Q4. There is a broader problem there about predictable writing, but it's just hard to avoid with this structure.

It's also a bit of an issue as the map increasingly gets filled in, because some of the gaps in the map they've left that are ideal for a Q4-sized DLC (Central Elsweyr being an obvious one that comes to mind) are difficult to fit into a year-long story unless they go out of their way to do it story-wise (we probably missed any chance of Central Elsweyr ever fitting into such a story when the Blackwood Q4 DLC was announced as in Oblivion).
  • Ekzorka
    Ekzorka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    In the form in which it exists now, it is far from ideal. Another global threat (that actually is going on only in 2 locations), another similar locations.
    The story is feels not good when it splits between dungeons and zones. If you don't complete dungeon: don't be upset, here's a brief retelling for you in the next zone DLC. If you have complete dungeons: cool, you're awesome, take a dynamic fights and some piece of story or even lore, but it won't give you any plot advantages and there will be a repeat of all what you already know and your char can't tell about. The standardization of story quests in a zones is also cause to a plot, making its narration slow or fast: for example, "Elsweyr" story is oversaturated with events and characters and obviously 8 quests is not enough, while "Markarth" story is smeared with a thin layer on these 6 quests that the dialogues is repeating the same over and over again, you participate in meaningless events, and then — boom! — epilogue blast. The Chapters seems less appropriate to buy for this price, because you know that you will not see anything grandiose in this part of story, everything is moved to Q4 DLC. As a result, we have boring huge DLC of the year — the Chapter — and small DLC in which as many events occur as in 3/4 of the entire year and the grand finale takes place during only 2 quests. Do I need to mention that despite already 4 long-year stories we are still stuck in 2E 582? :D
    One plot during a year is cool when a story is appropriate for such long and fractional narration. It doesn't give the desired effect when it is too long or too short, also one-year pattern is restricts the writers to make more deep and tied plot by 2 locations, a bunch of defined characters and a theme set by a single global threat.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    opaj wrote: »

Same. I voted no just because it's a biased poll.
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    Genuinely surprised there's even 30 percent of people liking it the way it is. I've met zero in-game myself throughout the years, but it's interesting.
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No, this is fine
    Crikey, less than 150 votes, I am sure the marketing department is positively quaking in their boots.

Personally I like the year long method, I found the stories engaging and well structured. Although my pleasure may have a bit to do with making a point of only playing them a months after release so that I actually have some enemies to kill. Let’s face it, when a chapter is released it is hard to tell if they’re actually any enemies in the zone at all as there is always some try hard with that goofy looking whirlwind set going around nuking everything that moves.

I agree that I don’t see the point of the dungeon DLC is though, most players don’t do dungeons and as the primary reason for them being part of the long story is clearly to get people to play them, this hasn’t worked. Maybe if they forced tanks to actually slot a taunt before they could queue as thanks the frustration with those things might be a little less severe.
  • DreadDaedroth
    DreadDaedroth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They could keep the year long story but at least one of dlc dungeons could be untied to the plot something totally different to explore thematically.
  • kirgeo
    kirgeo
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    I feel like the story going Q3>Q4>Q1>Q2. With the big bad being in the Q2 DLC would be the best they can do for the year long story.
    Still not a fan of the format.
  • Snowstrider
    Snowstrider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    I want a proper expansion like other MMOs have
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    Overland & dungeon DLC should be seperate stories
    This 1 story 2 dungeons that few want to go anywhere near doesnt really work!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    ikr....the greymoor story is childish, heavy handed, and too on the nose....

i would argue Worthgar is the pinnacle of ZoS content, great story, great zone design, i especially love Orsinium design, its just so majestic and natural

the problem is, even if they're stopping the year story, not sure if it will improve ZoS design, it seems they will keep the "KISS" design

my only problem with the "Year long story" is, how imbalance it is interm of content they offer

we pay $40 more or less, for greymoor, yet the content that they offer is much less than other game/MMO that also offer the same price tag for their expension pack, not only content but also feature

BUT, if that $40 include the Q4 story/zone DLC i might have not problem with it, but the problem its not, its feels like they kick the player in the butt
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • PrimusTiberius
    PrimusTiberius
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    I enjoy the year long story and think its a great way of progressing the game. Looking forward to what comes next after this chapter...and the next chapter and so on.
    Everyone is going in one direction, I'm going the other direction
  • Thechuckage
    Thechuckage
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    Shantu wrote: »
    I don't care about the arc of a story line. What I DO care about is that it is engaging. That being said, better writing is sorely needed. Summerset was that last story line that held my interest. Since then I make it about a third of the way through before all I want is to get through it quickly for the skill points.

Part of the problem is time. To write the story, to design the zone and environs in game .To deconflict the two. And it all has to be tested. Unless a lot of this was already in the pipeline for a long time (doubtful) then the quality is going to suffer. There comes a point when throwing more bodies at a problem just makes it worse.

Given more time, stories could be more fleshed out, zones deeper and everything more polished.
  • JMadFour
    JMadFour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    I like each year having an overarching theme to its story beats.

I think this is complaining just to complain.

Also, on a side note, in regards to Delve design being "boring" there is a delve in The Reach that is literally a whole fortress. I don't think Delve Design is lacking because of "year long story".

90% of the Delves in the game are small caves. That has always been the case, even before "year long story."
  • Asdara
    Asdara
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's time to stop
    100% agree, the storyline are sooooo boring it's a shame to charge people that much for such bad writing, MLP was better lol
    Forget new content for a while & forget adding new DLC, this is a list of what is actually needed in the game:
    1: Handheld magic/ giving you the option to not use your staff to L/H Attack but instead it will shoot from your hand, like a spell.
    2: Spellcrafting.
    3: Combat pet skin / summon Atronach.
    4: Summon weapon.
    5: Change the Housing item limit.
    6: Multi Attunable crafting station.
    7: Add Writ boards and Writ Drop-off's for housing.
    8: Cut the crown price of Mundus stones (4000x13? 52000 crowns?).
    9: Visual upgrade for all spell and animation.
    10: More structural item, door, floors, arch, walls for all size and shape.
    11: Dusting and adding things to the mage guilds.
  • Rasande_Robin
    Rasande_Robin
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    I don't mind the year long story. Though I'd rather see the trial in the 4Q DLC.
    With the main protagonist as the last boss.

It's just that the villain has been such an anti-climatic boss fight in these year long stories.
    PC/EU: Orcana "something"-stone
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    I don't mind the year long story. Though I'd rather see the trial in the 4Q DLC.
    With the main protagonist as the last boss.

It's just that the villain has been such an anti-climatic boss fight in these year long stories.

They woulld have to include the 4Q DLC with the Chapter purchase. Then the story really would be time gated. :smile:

Edit.. the year long story should start with the 3Q DLC and end with the Chapter, anyway. That would make people angry, though. They would have to pay for the conclusion of a story they started.
    Edited by Elsonso on 12 May 2021 21:18
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, this is fine
    JMadFour wrote: »
    I like each year having an overarching theme to its story beats.

I think this is complaining just to complain.

Also, on a side note, in regards to Delve design being "boring" there is a delve in The Reach that is literally a whole fortress. I don't think Delve Design is lacking because of "year long story".

90% of the Delves in the game are small caves. That has always been the case, even before "year long story."

I also enjoy having a connecting storyarc, although I can take it either way-- connected DLCs, or separate DLCs. The point that was brought up about how it's going to be more difficult to fill in the map with those small left-out portions was a good one.

As for delves, one thing that's noticeable in the base game delves is that a lot of them follow similar layouts, especially the ones that are in Ayleid ruins. That's not necessarily a bad thing-- or rather, not entirely bad-- but after a while it starts to seem like you'll go into a delve and think, "Haven't I done this delve before? The map says I haven't, but it sure looks familiar." I think it actually makes sense that for delves or dungeons which are set in a ruin or crypt or building of a particular style-- be it Ayleid, Dunmer, Redguard, Nord, etc.-- there might be similarities with other delves as far as the construction and layout. And as long as the enemies inside are different, that can often be enough to give the delve a more distinctive feel. But if the floor plan is such that your movement through the delve follows a highly predictable pattern, it can make the delve go more quickly because you can end up bypassing all of the "unnecessary" areas and making a beeline for the skyshard and the boss.
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!