The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Load Screen Times Consistantly not Uniform

Rudrani
Rudrani
✭✭✭✭✭
My best friend lives down the road from me. We literally have the same gaming ISP. She is also literally ALWAYS the last person to load into any instance, by a lot. What could cause this? (we play from PS4)
  • Solid_Metal
    Solid_Metal
    ✭✭✭✭
    deleted, didnt see you use console, not PC lol
    Edited by Solid_Metal on 12 May 2021 10:38
    "i will walk through the fog, as i welcome death"
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on which loading you are talking about... the character load from the server, or the game loading itself. As you both play on console, you have the same hardware.
    Some things that may be going on:
    -Her in-home network speeds may differ from yours(or multiple users). Meaning the server receives her requests slower/later.
    -Her console could have lots of other things going on in the background, like updates/update requests for other software. Or any other stuff to keep track off.
    -She may have her inventory/bank full of stuff, which might affect loading speeds. Both character loading, and instance loading.
    -There may be a console hardware damage/slow somewhere.
    -Her console may not receive enough cooling, causing loading times to increase. This is usually caused by having hardware in a closed/confined space.
    -She could be doing something and just chooses to zone in later, while not telling you.

Just some things that may differ.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Inventory, achievements, quests completed, etc all have an impact on your characters load times.
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it's a local issue in her home, then the only two things would be possible hardware issue with her console, or connection to her Internet. You both may have the exact same provider/service, but her internal environment such as router/firewall used, wireless, etc are not exactly the same - that alone can and does affect connectivity and makes a difference of yours and her connection. Another thing to consider is she is likely on a different network node with the ISP than you or possibly a weaker signal to her modem (assuming cable or dsl).

Also, understand that loading screens are highly affected by the servers. Nothing is verbatim when it comes to the Internet for one users experience versus another. An example; if there is a delay in response from a server request from the client (player), then there is a delay waiting on a loading screen until that request has completed. This same reason is also why a few years back it was taking 15-30 seconds traveling just wayshrine to wayshrine in the same zone. Since you both have the same hardware (consoles) and likely more than enough Internet (it doesn't take hardly any connection speed to just be playing an online game), I would almost guarantee that if server related unfortunately there isn't anything you can do to fix. It will like just "correct" itself over time with server infrastructure changes.

Even though logically at first glance everything seems the same between you and her, behind the scenes is a very stark difference that is causing what is being experienced. Exactly what without extensive troubleshooting is anyone's guess. Personally, if it's not something that is causing major issue, but rather a minor annoyance or inconvenience, I would just try to look past it and just enjoy time together with your best friend in Tamriel. :smile:

Edited by scorpius2k1 on 12 May 2021 17:50
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    Rudrani wrote: »
    My best friend lives down the road from me. We literally have the same gaming ISP. She is also literally ALWAYS the last person to load into any instance, by a lot. What could cause this? (we play from PS4)

Character load takes ages, all the time.

Loading from zone to zone faster can be accomplished by either adding an ssd to your ps4, get a ps5, or build a pc with an ssd.

Other than that not much help I can offer

Enjoy Loading Screens Online.
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    danno8 wrote: »
    Inventory, achievements, quests completed, etc all have an impact on your characters load times.

What? Lol is this a true story?
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xv1_me wrote: »

Think of it in terms of the amount of data that needs to be loaded.
  • ArchMikem
    ArchMikem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There was also the idea that people in Guilds would suffer longer load times and lag because their client would have to constantly search for the details on every player in the Roster. A possible workaround was to go into the Roster and manually search your own name so only you showed up in the list, removing everyone else.

A lot of the game's load time and lag comes from the amount of data being requested from the Server.
    CP1,900+ Master Explorer - AvA One Star General - Console Peasant - The Clan
    Quest Objective: OMG Go Talk To That Kitty!
  • scorpius2k1
    scorpius2k1
    ✭✭✭✭✭

As silly as it sounds, if you think about what is going on in the backend constantly it makes sense. What impact it may have on load times is truly only know by ZOS. One thing to remember is with ESO being an online game, all player data is stored on a remote server database, not locally on our hardware (console, pc). As with any request made to the server, our game client must wait for that data request to be looked up by the server, sent back, and then finally received by the game client to display the information properly to us. If this data is requested during loading screens, etc, then it could absolutely impact things like this.
    🌎 PC/NA
    🐧 Linux (Arch)
    🧑‍💻 ESO Addon Dev
    ⚔️ Stamplar | Magplar | Stamcro | Magsorc | Magcro Healer