The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Jewelry Crafting: Get ready for the worst grind in ESO's history

• Thunderknuckles
    Thunderknuckles
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully they'll work this out before launch and make the grind MUCH less dismal (save, perhaps, for gold jewelry).
  • Kram8ion
    Kram8ion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well I suppose it means less people in pvp and to an extent dungeons because they will be grinding for this forever
    ps4eu
    Kramm stam man kittyblade

• Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    And the best part?

Have you taken a peek at the fresh PTS patch notes that arrived today, @code65536?

No change in the jewelry crafting mat drops ... but ZOS did acknowledge other fixes to jewelry crafting based on “player feedback”.

So far, that’s got to be the best part.

(Please forgive my unmitigated sarcasm ...)
  • xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    xenowarrior92eb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    worst grind in eso history ???? bro you clearly haven't farmed vma sharp flame staff... stop mislead others.
  • PlagueSD
    PlagueSD
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anything currently on the PTS I take with a pinch of salt. I see this being no different than crafting now. I'm sure they'll probably adjust it a few more times before it ends up on the live servers.
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    PlagueSD wrote: »
    Anything currently on the PTS I take with a pinch of salt. I see this being no different than crafting now. I'm sure they'll probably adjust it a few more times before it ends up on the live servers.

youre in for a very unpleasant surprise if the current iteration goes to live
  • eagles9595b16_ESO
    eagles9595b16_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Sievertsv wrote: »
    lol i preordered specifically for jewelery upgrades not knowing the grinding needed to actually craft/upgrade jewelry... thanks for the info but feelsbadman

That's my major issue !!!

ZoS knew from the start that it'll be a grindy and boring process to craft any ring or necklace from the new Jewelry craft system.

What did they do when they announced this new crafting system ?
    Well they just said we we'll be able to craft jewelries.

They knew, by hiding the truth about the grind process, that many people will think that the new craft system will be just like the other existing one : enough resources around the world, leveling the same way by crafting or deconstructing rings etc.
    So MANY guys like me pre-ordered Summerset for that !

Then BOOOM !!! the truth is revealed from the PTS tester...

ZoS, if I would have know about all this grind process I would had not pre-ordered at nearly 70€ this expansion.
    I could have easily kept my ESO plus membership and give up this new craft and skill tree.

By not having told us all the truth (you hide the worse part of the system) I think you simply LIED to all of us.
    Right now I'm thinking about cancelling my ESO plus membership and do like many others, playing for free and not supporting your work by giving you money every month.
  • tplink3r1
    tplink3r1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good. I look forward to more things like this.
    VR16 Templar
    VR3 Sorcerer
  • dsalter
    dsalter
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    this will punish newer players who join much later down the line as its an intense time sink and material dunk.
    hopefully for a while some INSANE gold costs for BoP crafted jewels will appear in cyrodiil to help quell the massive amounts of gold in the game.
    i'm talking a billion or 2 per jewel, being able to nullify some of the terrible economy damage from way back when will help make a better game and allow them to rub their epeens for a little while till everyone makes their own stuff, then we can buff drop rates of mats.
    this grind can be turned into a game improving thing if abused right by combating the "gold stacking" players (lets face it when some exploits existed these guys hit that stuff first, just look at the banker map exploit.)
    PLEASE REPLY TO ME WITH @dsalter otherwise i'm likely to miss the reply if its not my own thread

EU - [Arch Mage Dave] Altmer Sorcerer
    Fight back at the crates and boxes, together we can change things.

• SickDuck
    SickDuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a year’s time most of it won’t matter, people will accumulate enough mats to do their crafts as usual. Probably ZOS will cave in and relax the requirements and/or provide more means to gain those precious mats (remember v15-16 mats in IC initially? or the rarity of columbine?).

But in between there will be a massive amount of pissed and disappointed players. So really it is a great strategy...
    Edited by SickDuck on 8 May 2018 09:58
    Holdviola - Khira'de Regalo - Lélekvadász - Used To Be An Adventurer - Zetor - Does-Not-Give-A-Duck - Lord Sugar - Tenar Arha - Da'rinka - Violent Moon - Extreme Runner
  • Jhalin
    Jhalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    SickDuck wrote: »
    In a year’s time most of it won’t matter, people will accumulate enough mats to do their crafts as usual. Probably ZOS will cave in and relax the requirements and/or provide more means to gain those precious mats (remember v15-16 mats in IC initially? or the rarity of columbine?).

But in between there will be a massive amount of pissed and disappointed players. So really it is a great strategy...

The scarcity of the materials isn't something that's going to disappear with time if they insist on keeping the 10x requirements on upgrading.
  • Horker
    Horker
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're making me depressed
    ROSES ARE RED, VIOLETS ARE BLUE, TRINIMAC IS DEAD, MALACATH IS TRUE
  • Palidon
    Palidon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't plan on even getting involved with it. For me this entire game after 4 years is just old. Even with new content its still all the same. Go here, do that, turn in get a lousy reward. Or farm for this BIS gear that is out dated with the next update. For PvP put up with lag, crashes, constant load screens and cheating etc etc. Nothing changes. Same old crap, just another day.

Jewelry crafting should of been structured the same way the other crafting skill lines were done from the start of this game. But that is not ZOS's way of doing things. It all changed with Craglorn and the Nirnhoned grind and ZOS has continued that trend since.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    worst grind in eso history ???? bro you clearly haven't farmed vma sharp flame staff... stop mislead others.

Post #36
    Nightfighters ― PC/NA and PC/EU

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
    Media: YouTubeTwitch
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Palidon wrote: »
    It all changed with Craglorn and the Nirnhoned grind and ZOS has continued that trend since.

Something that I haven't touched on in this thread is that the grind of the new traits will be like Nirnhoned all over again. Except worse. And covers 6 traits instead of just 2 traits.

The full trait stone for the Triune trait, for example, will cost 100K AP to purchase, which at a 5-to-1 AP/gold ratio, will make the trait stone cost 20K--higher than the previous most expensive trait stone, Potent Nirncrux. And there will be 5 other trait stones that will be similarly difficult to acquire (I just used the PvP one as an example as it has the most readily quantifiable value). Deconning items with a particular jewelry trait will yield only 1/10th of that trait stone--if you get lucky enough to even get anything trait-related out of the decon.

If you plan to craft jewelry pieces for your own use in one of the 6 new traits, my guess is that most people will find it easier to just craft the item traitless and then transmute to their desired trait. As a creation craft jewelry crafting just doesn't look very appealing. At all.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • BoloBoffin
    BoloBoffin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the raw materials will be able to be harvested by anyone, Summerset purchaser or not. If you don't own Summerset, you have nothing you can do with this material. You can't access a jewelry crafting table to even refine it. The only thing you can do with the raw mats if you don't own Summerset is to sell it in a guild store or in zone chat.

Or sell it to a merchant. Let us not consider the mats that will be wasted like this. Sigh.

So for non-Summerset owners, they have an easy way to make good gold from day one. Those raw mats will be worth quite a lot. Their unneeded jewelry drops, too, will be a good market. It will be a long time before I can sell Summerset-dropped jewelry - I'm going to level Jewelry Crafting on three characters. But I will be scouring guild stores for raw mats and Summerset jewelry. Save your gold, folks!
    I ride in a zerg ball of one.
  • Charliff1966
    Charliff1966
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it.
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wing wrote: »
    I feel like these same people probably rock DOS because and icon based system is to easy and only for casuals.

I’m guessing Linux with terminal only. Set to green text on black background. 4 point font.
  • BrightOblivion
    BrightOblivion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I, too, would like them to reconsider the 10x grain idea, the unfortunate truth of the matter is that they've already published that number in their official guide to jewelry-crafting post. So while they could theoretically still decide to walk that back, I don't see it happening, no matter how much evidence anyone presents to them that it's really not a good idea. They've picked their course, and evidently did so even before the PTS even started if you look at the date on the article, and they're probably going to stick with it.

That said, we've already looked at statistics that point toward refining one piece of jewelry to green requiring 80% of the effort (when comparing material decon to material decon) of refining one piece of any other crafted equipment to gold. They stated one of the main reasons to make this ten times as difficult stupidly tedious is to "keep high-quality jewelry a rare and valuable commodity," right? Well, you can buy green jewelry in a set like Spriggan's for under 300 gold. Even green jewelry from sets in zones without dolmens can be gotten for under 500. As for dungeon and trial sets, they don't even have green jewelry. So are we really trying to protect that by making people have to decon six or seven stacks worth of raw materials? Seriously? Even blue jewelry can be gotten for under 1k, at least until this shambles of a system comes out. I'd guess that maybe they want to protect jewelry from a set in a tough trial (War Machine), but the lowest you're going to get that in is blue, so there's really no reason for blue mats to have the 10x requirement added to them. In fact, it's not even until purple that there's anything that might be worth "protecting."

That said, I find it profoundly hard to believe that even purple war machine is balanced by requiring 26 or 27 stacks' worth of raw materials for each upgrade. Being generous and assuming someone could manage a stack of raw materials an hour (not gonna happen), that's over a day's worth of nothing but farming. You want to go the decon route? That'll be eighty purple jewels. Each.

You want to know why I'm displeased? Why I'm objecting? Because I've fervently wanted jewelry crafting for months and what's given is something so tedious and soulless in its grind that the "crafting" portion might as well not exist, because no one in their right mind is going to find it worthwhile. Something so poorly optimized in terms of space with its grains and its slivers of pieces of trait stones that those alone take up 26 slots, not even counting raw materials and their refined versions. With a $30 price tag to even make use of any of it.

But "it's new content, so I have no right to complain." Nevermind the fact that my most awaited feature has been turned into this...thing...that ZOS can slap on their box and go "You can craft jewelry now! (Eventually. Theoretically. Good luck upgrading it!) Yayyyy!"

Don't get sucked in by the hype and hit "buy" based on some blurb on the box. Do the math. Read about the features. And if it's still something you want, if you just want to research and transmute, swell. Go for it. But if you harbor any hope of putting the "craft" in "jewelry crafting," you should probably just skip it for now.
    Edited by BrightOblivion on 8 May 2018 14:44
  • Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have no content to offer, you "fill" that gap with a mindless grind.
    "keep high-quality jewelry a rare and valuable commodity,"
    Yeah, selling dungeon gold jewelry for gold/AP is totally cool in their mind. Jewelcrafting should require as same amount of materials as other crafts. Dungeon gold jewelry should randomly drop at their repsective dungeon hardmodes. Why so much fuzz about it.
  • ninibini
    ninibini
    ✭✭✭
    There we go, the thread has been moved to Oblivion.
  • jedtb16_ESO
    jedtb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ninibini wrote: »
    There we go, the thread has been moved to Oblivion.

um.... crafting thread moved to crafting, well that's sinister.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    leeux wrote: »
    I do think they'll be tweaking and adjusting this as they go... Nobody in his right mind will be investing time in something like this as it is designed... it's madness.

But they like to use this tactic often... start with a ridiculous forced scarcity so early adopters that don't have a life can fill their pockets with gold and take advantage over the rest of the player base and months from now they'll patch it up and ease the access to the system for the masses. That method guarantees exclusivity and "specialness" for the few people that like that kind of stuff for a few months at the expense of the the rest of the game population that would like to use the system too, but have normal lives.

Nobody remembers what was like when IC came out? How difficult was to acquire vr15 mats back then... vr16 gear didn't drop anywhere, the most you could get is vr15 gear and *only* in IC... until Wrothgar came out there wasn't a single material node for vr15 in the game.

The trouble with this tactic they use.. is that you cannot trust them, they're not open about it and they can change anything on a whim... and they're tweaking drop rates for everything all the time.

not een the no lifers will be able to use this system, i did the math and farming is going to take like 10 days of game play for 3 gold jewelry
    @ezio45 How many in-game hours does that equate to, so really emphasize the suck-factor for those that do play a lot, and drive (the impossibility of) it home even further for casuals?

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Nebthet78
    Nebthet78
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert

Threads like these need to STOP being moved from the General Discussion into areas where other players will rarely see it.

Players have the right to know what is going on and to have an opinion about it.

These threads being moved tells me you are just trying to cover up bad publicity and stiffle the truth from getting out to a majority of your player base.

I am now informing people that they need to cancel their Summerset Preorders. Especially the digital ones. And yes, you can cancel them.

Speak with your wallet people. The only thing that was really attractive about Summerset was the Jewellery Crafting and they have made it into such a horrid grind, you would be better off just going to get a real job for the 8 hours a day and making real money that you can spend on yourself to buy a game that will bring you more joy that a game like ESO that makes you work worse than my ancestors in the cotton fields.
    Far too many characters to list any more.
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    code65536 wrote: »
    And the best part?

Have you taken a peek at the fresh PTS patch notes that arrived today, @code65536?

No change in the jewelry crafting mat drops ... but ZOS did acknowledge other fixes to jewelry crafting based on “player feedback”.

So far, that’s got to be the best part.

(Please forgive my unmitigated sarcasm ...)
    I'm sure we'll find out that for whatever changed we anticipated, we were misinformed (see Class Balance)

I anticipate the jewelry mat equivalent of Crown Mimic Stones on the not too distant horizon.

Ironic on some level that it will be easier to transmute existing jewelry than it will be to set craft to white quality.

Between all the other grinds, and their associated inventory hell, it appears the crafting portion of this line may as well not even exist.

The wind in my game's sails is dwindling quickly, and there isn't much left to begin with.

Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • TelvanniWizard
    TelvanniWizard
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Don´t worry, ZO$ will start selling those mats for a coupple thousands of crowns each "complete" unit.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ezio45 wrote: »
    leeux wrote: »
    I do think they'll be tweaking and adjusting this as they go... Nobody in his right mind will be investing time in something like this as it is designed... it's madness.

But they like to use this tactic often... start with a ridiculous forced scarcity so early adopters that don't have a life can fill their pockets with gold and take advantage over the rest of the player base and months from now they'll patch it up and ease the access to the system for the masses. That method guarantees exclusivity and "specialness" for the few people that like that kind of stuff for a few months at the expense of the the rest of the game population that would like to use the system too, but have normal lives.

Nobody remembers what was like when IC came out? How difficult was to acquire vr15 mats back then... vr16 gear didn't drop anywhere, the most you could get is vr15 gear and *only* in IC... until Wrothgar came out there wasn't a single material node for vr15 in the game.

The trouble with this tactic they use.. is that you cannot trust them, they're not open about it and they can change anything on a whim... and they're tweaking drop rates for everything all the time.

not een the no lifers will be able to use this system, i did the math and farming is going to take like 10 days of game play for 3 gold jewelry
    @ezio45 How many in-game hours does that equate to, so really emphasize the suck-factor for those that do play a lot, and drive (the impossibility of) it home even further for casuals?

Gold out 3 pieces of jewelry? That's insanity. You'll need 240 grains. At 5% chance of a grain per refinement, that's 4800 refinements, and at 10 raw mats per refinement, that's 48K raw mats, or 240 stacks of raw mats. Each node harvest yields an average of 3.85 raw mats (50% chance at 3, 50% chance at 4 plus 10% chance of double harvest from CP passive). That's nearly 12.5K nodes that need to be harvested.

How quickly you can harvest the nodes, though, is variable. It'll depend on the density of spawns, how many people are competing for them, whether you completely ignore and skip the other nodes you come across, etc.

If you harvest a node every 15s, that's 52 hours of non-stop harvesting. 104 hours if it's a node every half minute. 208 hours if it's a node per minute. Oh, and one week of a full-time job is 40 hours. Except that pays you, whereas here, you're paying ZOS for the jewelry crafting "feature".

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas:
  • Charliff1966
    Charliff1966
    ✭✭✭
    Nebthet78 wrote: »
    @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_RichLambert

Threads like these need to STOP being moved from the General Discussion into areas where other players will rarely see it.

Players have the right to know what is going on and to have an opinion about it.

These threads being moved tells me you are just trying to cover up bad publicity and stiffle the truth from getting out to a majority of your player base.

I am now informing people that they need to cancel their Summerset Preorders. Especially the digital ones. And yes, you can cancel them.

Speak with your wallet people. The only thing that was really attractive about Summerset was the Jewellery Crafting and they have made it into such a horrid grind, you would be better off just going to get a real job for the 8 hours a day and making real money that you can spend on yourself to buy a game that will bring you more joy that a game like ESO that makes you work worse than my ancestors in the cotton fields.

Crafting belongs in the crafting forum.
  • TequilaFire
    TequilaFire
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, I just did one run around the perimeter of a starter island and found 22 seams in about a half hour.
    This is more than I found on the run before the update.
  • code65536
    code65536
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth, I just did one run around the perimeter of a starter island and found 22 seams in about a half hour.
    This is more than I found on the run before the update.

So that comes out to one node every 80s. So to answer @Merlin13KAGL's inquiry of how many hours it'd take if people harvested at this rate, it'd be ((48000/3.85)*80)/3600 = 277 hours of straight nonstop harvesting to gold three rings. Or almost 7 weeks of a full-time job.

Dungeons and Trials:
    Personal best scores:
    Dungeon trifectas: