Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Crashing to desktop? Have a G502 mouse?

rfennell_ESO
rfennell_ESO
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I had a ridiculous crashing to desktop (with no error message) problem, basically couldn't play the game. Any time I was in combat it was a matter of time before I would crash to desktop.

I went through tech support and worked through everything they asked me to do to resolve it to no avail.

With a combination of intuition and checking the Windows error reporting system and researching every fault bucket item I finally found X64 headed errors that were linked to the mouse.

Switched mice, crashing has ceased.

I don't have a why or a how, but I'm just putting it here because it was likely I would have had to do very drastic things on the whim of tech support to fix something they would have never found. Nothing against tech support, I guess they might have made it to the mouse being the issue eventually... but fyi the G502 worked fine in everything else, it was just crashing eso for me.
  • Wily_Wizard
    Wily_Wizard
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, Im crashing like crazy too, I also have a Logitech mouse, M510. I need to swap it out and see what happens. Thanks for the post.

UPDATE: Did you also try removing the Logitech drivers and using the default Windows drivers? I tried this and the mouse worked fine, but it still crashed in ESO. Need to Dig up an old mouse next I guess.
    Edited by Wily_Wizard on 4 January 2016 09:35
  • disdaineub17_ESO
    disdaineub17_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Removed previous post.

I have the same mouse, but that wasn't my problem. The problem I had is directly related to DX9 mode. I was trying to use it for 3D Vision, but DX9 on a GTX 970 causes a severe memory leak. If you are in a major city, it literally takes 10-15 seconds to crash. Because of that, the only option is DX11 mode. You can check this in your usersettings.ini file for the game (found in %userprofile%\documents\elder scrolls online\live) and searching for "driver". If it says D3D9, try changing it to D3D11.

That fixed the memory leak / crash for me... it just means no 3D Vision for me -.-

rfennel - Try to see if you're running in DirectX 9 mode.
    Edited by disdaineub17_ESO on 14 January 2016 05:34
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been getting random crashes "The Elder Scrolls Online has quit unexpectedly" Straight to desktop.

This is worse in IC but it can happen anywhere, towns, landscape, dungeons.

Sometimes it can be up to 10 times a night and is v frustrating esp in trials.

I wondered if this was connected to my Logitech G500s mouse as it often happens with a long left mouse click.

Its been going on for about a month

At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • martinhpb16_ESO
    martinhpb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thorvarg wrote: »

Thanks, but I'm not having an issue with being kicked to login screen.

Game just stops, straight to desktop with error message "quit unexpectedly" and a crash report.
    At least the spelling is difficult for you.
    Hew's Bane*
  • rfennell_ESO
    rfennell_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The best method for troubleshooting these type of crash programs is to check the event viewer very carefully, then research anything in the fault buckets.

You should go through the basic stuff that ZOS will run you through (and check their stickied in this forum), but for my case it was the mouse and while it didn't generate any ESO errors on crash to desktop it was listed as an X64 process and IDed as HID/VID with a code that you can find in the logitechs listing.
    Thorvarg wrote: »

Thanks, but I'm not having an issue with being kicked to login screen.

Game just stops, straight to desktop with error message "quit unexpectedly" and a crash report.

If you are PC and have windows 10 (or most any other version) you can check for errors in the windows reporting system. It's accessed by right clicking on "this pc" or "my computer" and choosing manage. Under computer management go to event viewer. Check through the events, particularly critical errors. If there is a critical error (which a crash straight to desktop is) there will be a fault bucket listing of the detail of it. Therein might contain critical information regarding what exactly caused the crash.

In my case I was able to find the device id and upon searching for found that every critical event was that mouse's device id (I had to search through logitech device ids via google to locate it.