The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Crash to Login, No Error, comes in mysterious waves? [SOLVED]

Alchemical
Alchemical
✭✭✭✭✭
PC -NA Megaserver

I've been having the hardest time staying connected to the game since switching to the PC. I can log in and play for a bit, but eventually I'll be disconnected, booted to the login screen with no error whatsoever. It's a very sudden disconnect usually, I could be in the middle of running somewhere or fighting something when it suddenly drops. There is no 'hang' or lag like with other connection related crashes. It happens in every zone, including Cyrodil, but none more often than any other. Moving between zones also does not appear to influence when the error occurs, as it can begin happening in the middle of a trial even.

There's no error code whatsoever, and the announcements on the login page load fine. I'm also able to log back in almost immediately without problems (aside from being disconnected again after a few minutes). I'd be completely willing to lay the blame on my ISP, but other services using the internet still continue to work without interruption during these disconnects. I also have never had this problem with the PS4 version, recently or in the past.

The problem mysteriously seems to come and go in waves. I was able to play with a group in Imperial City uninterrupted for about an hour and a half, then was assaulted with disconnects every 4 or 5 minutes until I eventually just gave up and came here. I'd played earlier in the day for 2-3 hours without it being a problem, but took a break when the disconnects caused me to miss looting a world boss I'd been camping twice.

I've already tried restarting my PC and cycling my modem, it has made no difference. I reformatted my PC (unrelated problem) and did a clean install of the game just yesterday, so I don't have any reason to think its something on my computer causing it. I haven't installed any mods either.

This problem has been going on for several weeks now and it's becoming somewhat unbearable. It strikes so randomly it's frustrating me to no end when I just want to complete one or two dailies before heading to bed. I've wracked my brain trying to come up with a solution. A cursory google search turned up other complaints about this from over a year ago, but with no actual fix ever provided for it.

EDIT: I do believe the ShaderCache.cooked file in the MyDocuments/ElderScrollsOnline file was the culprit. I was playing uninterrupted without much lag for most of the last two days. I began lagging out with my group in Imperial City again last night and when booted out to login I closed the game, deleted the ShaderCache.cooked file again, relogged, and was able to play without issue for the rest of the night.
Edited by Alchemical on 12 April 2017 13:19
  • Thorvarg
    Thorvarg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Disable IPv6 in your Routersoftware ! I discovered this workaround 2 month ago and it helped many other Players in Germany.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en-GB/discussion/326432/constantly-kicked-to-the-login-screen-why-is-this-happening#latest

Edited by Thorvarg on 10 April 2017 09:43
  • Alchemical
    Alchemical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey @Thorvarg
    I logged into my router this morning to switch off IPV6, but it already says it's disabled? I don't remember turning it off, but its always possible I did while trying other stuff.

A friend of mine thinks it may simply be a symptom of server stress. Considering that my switching to PC servers happened about mid-Jester's Festival, I've consistently been playing during high traffic periods of time. It seems plausible, but it's kinda frustrating if so, since all I can do is wait it out.
  • Thorvarg
    Thorvarg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Stay with IPv6 turned off and delete ShaderCache.cooked in your Elder Scrolls Online Folder (Documents). At least try to disable the Addons you are running..
  • Alchemical
    Alchemical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had only one mysterious, unidentified crash today so far. After logging back in I wasn't kicked again.

The weather today is pretty bad, which can knock my internet out, so I don't know if I can reliably confirm the fix atm. I did delete the ShaderCache.cooked now though and I'll see if the weather will permit me some game time.
  • Alchemical
    Alchemical
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I updated the OP, in case anyone in the future also has this issue. I believe the ShaderCache.cooked file is the culprit of these mysterious disconnects, at least in my situation. I was playing mostly uninterrupted for the past two days, despite the additional server strain of the free week starting. When I noticed the lag and disconnects becoming more unbearable last night I deleted the file again and the problems immediately ceased.