Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Scammed

Smolt
Smolt
✭✭✭
So I tried to buy a bunch of wax from someone selling in zone in Craglorn... I'd buy 120 wax for 360k. Good deal right? Somehow he managed to instantly pull his wax out of the trade window and confirm, leaving me with nothing and taking my gold. Apparently the trade window is only for use between friends, played since beta and nothing like this ever happened to me. I submitted a ticket, got a robo response... replied and this is the response I got from a customer service rep.

"The player market in The Elder Scrolls Online is a "buyer beware" market, and we are unable to provide any compensation or reimbursement for a trade or mail scam that occurred in-game.

If you are playing on a console and wish to take further action, you may submit a griefing report to Sony Support if playing on the PlayStation 4 or report the abuse to Microsoft Support if on the Xbox One. Players on the Xbox One also have the option to submit a player review against a player’s reputation through their profile. Please visit either Sony or Microsoft’s support sites for more information on how to submit a report.

Best Regards,
Elder Scrolls Support"

I replied again and got the same bs response. So, my message is of course that if you want to earn gold quickly in this game the easiest way is to scam people! Nothing will happen to you at all, and you get to keep your ill gotten gains! If someone gets mad, make sure tell them to submit a ticket for some sound advice about how stupid they were for being robbed, if they manage to get a human to paste a generic reply. Can we please make customer service great again?
Edited by Smolt on 8 March 2017 16:10
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently the trade window is only for use between friends

Correct. Only use COD for buying or selling.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah lots of scams in player face to face, they really need to modify trades better GW had the same problem, there trade system is based off GW 1 style
  • Smolt
    Smolt
    ✭✭✭
    casparian wrote: »

I feel like there ought to be a little disclaimer at the top of the trade window... Seems like a lot of trouble to go through to realize this.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Watch out for Coding too, lots of "***" out there that purposely leave them on COD till it returns
  • Smolt
    Smolt
    ✭✭✭

Watch out for Coding too, lots of "***" out there that purposely leave them on COD till it returns

An inconvenience to be sure, but at least you don't lose your stuff.
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Smolt wrote: »

An inconvenience to be sure, but at least you don't lose your stuff.

Yeah true, but have to wait 3 days till you can resell again
  • alexkdd99
    alexkdd99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Isn't it supposed to undo the accept trade if the other person pulls their item from the trade window?
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, I'm really sorry for what happened to you but thank you for sharing this with us! I don't do direct trades often but I wasn't aware this could happen! Unbelievable what some people can do.
    Edited by luen79rwb17_ESO on 8 March 2017 20:57
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • NinJake
    NinJake
    ✭✭
    When spending big bucks... be very cautious and don't rush trades. If you've ever been scammed before, I'm sure you've never let it happen again. (Reminisces back to Runescape....)

But as others have stated, COD is a much safer option.
    Lunaethir - Dark Elf Dragonknight
    Lunithia - High Elf Templar
    Oden Ravenson - Nord Dragonknight
    Za' Rei - Khajiit Nightblade
    Vlanarus Curassius - Imperial Sorcerer
    Helventhia - Breton Templar (Current WIP)
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    alexkdd99 wrote: »
    Isn't it supposed to undo the accept trade if the other person pulls their item from the trade window?

It does, but sometimes there way to fast before the other person accepts it just like how it was in GW1, they somehow either time it perfectly, or use some sort of programs that determine when the other person presses ok, so basically they hit ok first with the gold, but then replace the gold with 0, and then other person accepts right away without noticing.
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought the trade window automatically un-confirms the trade for you if the other party changed ANYTHING.

Just be extra careful, NEVER confirm the trade unless the other party has the proper stuff input into the trading window, and then make sure you click confirm only ONCE. From there, they can confirm the trade and finito. IF they change anything it will auto unconfirm for you. If however you double/triple confirm/click thinking lag, or you know.... anxious and all, well... if the other party sees you confirm with money before they even put stuff, you might run across less scrupulous people that will just profit from the occasion and confirm with nothing input on their side...
  • rotaugen454
    rotaugen454
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tons of scum out there, and if you name them, YOU can get banned.
    "Get off my lawn!"
  • ZiRM
    ZiRM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Feel bad for you. :'(
    I've been scammed in other MMO's.
    Want to become Vampire? 5k @ZiRM in game.
    ESO Server Status. ( ^_^)o自自o(^_^ ) SkåL!!!!!
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    COD only never trade money for items......even if its a trusted person cause of bugs, you still may not get the item or the gold
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tons of scum out there, and if you name them, YOU can get banned.

Yeah that's the thing I don't get naming & shaming has been going on in every MMO but they want to stop scammers, so what the heck
  • Smolt
    Smolt
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the condolences, I was really bummed that ZOS customer service was so worthless. I know there are more important things to fix in this game than returning my gold, but when people can go around doing this it hurts the game. This guy was actively looking for more victims in zone after he got me, though I posted a warning message about him that doesn't do much. I feel like customer service used to be really good in this game...
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NinJake wrote: »
    When spending big bucks... be very cautious and don't rush trades. If you've ever been scammed before, I'm sure you've never let it happen again. (Reminisces back to Runescape....)

But as others have stated, COD is a much safer option.
    Runescape was insane in the amount of scamming going on.
    Swapping items in trade was for the professionals.
    The idiots used the drop item on ground and press Alt-F4 to duplicate
    Up to hard core grieving, getting otter players killed so you could loot them was one.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Another MMO I played had a double-confirmation trade system. Each person locked what they were offering, and then after both sides had done that, each person clicked again to confirm. People still pulled bait-and-switch schemes occasionally, but that was mostly dependent on the other person not paying attention and not double-checking what was there before they confirmed the second time.

Sounds like ESO would benefit from adding a second layer of confirmation to make it harder for people to pull last-second switcheroos with no recourse.
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do the system in ESO work?
    I put in my offering and press ok so my part grays out, the other part can add stuff and press ok to trade,
    If I'm last my second ok finalizes the trade.
    Obviously pretty easy to scam here.

As you say it should obviously been required that both verified after the window was locked, you could mouse over items to inspect and verify but not add or remove something without removing the lock.
    So first phase is adding offer, then lock then both had locked both then had to press "trade".
    It would make switching items impossible and would just require one extra click.
    Yes you could still scam on value
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I asked this exact question yesterday on a other thread and got put down. The OP there had a problem with COD taking a while to get paid and thus felt it was open to being scammed.

The preference on that thread was to manual trade as it was more secure. I KNEW stuff like this could happen, knew it.
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smolt wrote: »
    "The player market in The Elder Scrolls Online is a "buyer beware" market, and we are unable to provide any compensation or reimbursement for a trade or mail scam that occurred in-game."

@ZOS_GinaBruno when did this change? Last time I checked, someone deliberately scamming players was a bannable offense?
  • MythicEmperor
    MythicEmperor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must be very cautious when dealing with others. People are generally selfish, so you must counteract that with cunning.
    With cold regards,
    Mythic

Favorite Characters:
    Kilith Telvayn, Dunmer Telvanni Sorcerer (main)
    Kilith, Dunmer Magblade (old main)
    Vadusa Venim, Dunmer crafter (older main)
    Hir Hlaalu, Dunmer Warden
    Søren Icehelm, N'wah Warden
    Fargoth of Morrowind, Bosmer commoner
  • Cpt_Teemo
    Cpt_Teemo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Easiest, & Safest route to traveling is through guild traders even though we all hate them, they're is no possible way to scam someone with it atm.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    alexkdd99 wrote: »

They pull it immediately after your items go up, it takes a sec so if you hit confirm, you'll confirm on their previously removed items.

Im very careful and still had it happen, requires good timing on their part but it's almost unavoidable (if the scammer is good)

They need to put in a item lock, and then a confirmation page.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I used the trade window, anytime you change something, it un-confirms for both players. Meaning if they put wax in, you put in gold and hit confirm, and they then removed the wax, it un-confirms your selection. And you have to hit confirm again to have it go through.

Did this somehow change?
  • ThePonzzz
    ThePonzzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen it where someone can change after you lock in/confirm. Usually I don't ever put gold up until I see the item.
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last time I used the trade window, anytime you change something, it un-confirms for both players. Meaning if they put wax in, you put in gold and hit confirm, and they then removed the wax, it un-confirms your selection. And you have to hit confirm again to have it go through.

Did this somehow change?

If their timing is good enough, they can immediately remove the item, before you confirm. Usually this is accomplished with a macro.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easiest, & Safest route to traveling is through guild traders even though we all hate them, they're is no possible way to scam someone with it atm.

There can't be a more ironic typo than that :smiley: !
  • Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    Enemy-of-Coldharbour
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I see people in zone chat selling their stuff and they say "face-to-face trade only". Instant red flag. I only COD.

Silivren (Silly) Thalionwen | Altmer Templar | Magicka | 9-Trait Master Crafter/Jeweler | Master Angler | PVE Main - Killed by U35
    Jahsul at-Sahan | Redguard Sorcerer | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites | PVP Main
    Derrok Gunnolf | Redguard Dragonknight | Stamina | Werewolf - Free Bites
    Liliana Littleleaf | 9-Trait Grand Master Crafter/Jeweler (non-combat)
    Amber Emberheart | Breton Dragonknight | Stamina | Master Angler
    Vlos Anon | Dunmer Nightblade | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Kalina Valos | Dunmer Warden | Magicka | Vampire - Free Bites
    Swiftpaws-Moonshadow | Khajiit Nightblade | Stamina
    Morgul Vardar | Altmer Necromancer | Magicka
    Tithin Geil | Altmer Sorceress | Magicka
    Dhryk | Imperial Dragonknight | Stamina

Guild Master - ESO Traders Union
    PC/NA - CP 2220+
  • Soleya
    Soleya
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Did this somehow change?

If their timing is good enough, they can immediately remove the item, before you confirm. Usually this is accomplished with a macro.

So they have to guess when you're going to press confirm then?

I've never run into this because I just sell.buy on a guild trader.