Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Elemental Fury – PvE Heavy Attack DK Build (Wolfhunter Ready)

Masel
Masel
Class Representative
titlenew.png

Do you play a Magicka Dragonknight? Do you want something else than the usual 5 BSW/ 4 Aether/ 2 Grothdarr/ 1 vMA Inferno Setup and still be raidmaterial?

Then this guide is for you! The Goal of this Build is to provide strong DPS on a Dragonknight while using shock and fire damage and Heavy Attacks with a Lightning Staff. I’ve tried several builds that use lightning staff heavy attacks on a DK, and while they are very survivable, sustainable and very easy to play, the single target DPS mostly suffered and I’ve never managed to get past the 30k sustained single target DPS parse (selfbuffed).

This build does exactly that while using only AoE skills, and in the right hands and raid setup, it can surpass 40k Single target DPS easily while giving your group a lot of utility that Dragonknights have. I’ve had a breeze in vDSA (46.5k score) and every vet trial with this, including vHoF HM, vMoL HM and Craglorn Hardmode Trials, no death runs for the DLC-Dungeons etc. I even got the Duelist Title with the vMA version. This build is flexible to the extent that you can do both a Melee or Ranged Version, depending on what you are assigned to within your group or what the dungeon or fight requires you to do. For solo play, the build requires minor tweaks, but I added a vMA build for people who'd like to get their safe weekly and the DK flawless conqueror as easy as possible.

Base Stats:

O40VWqM.jpg

Race:

Altmer or Dunmer. Dunmer gets 3% more out of the fire abilities than Altmer, and Altmer gets 2% more out of the shock abilities, so it doesn't make that much of a difference. I prefer Altmer for the regen and 1% more max magicka, plus you get better results in vMA and you have enough stamina due to undaunted infiltrator. Everything else is a DPS loss, after those two, Breton would be third.

Gear:

To understand the nature of heavy attacks, it is important to know that the Flat Damage Buff of the vMA lightning Staff Buffs every Tick of Lightning Staff Heavy Attacks and adds like 5k DPS to the Build. With summerset, we can use 2+5+5, so Torugs pact is very nice on this build. Torugs pact lets your enchants proc insanely often and makes them hit incredibly hard (12k+ per enchant).

PR8Phbb.jpg

Bar Setup:

rTK7VLh.jpg

Front Bar (Lightning Staff): Harness Magicka , Burning Embers, Engulfing Flames, Flames of Oblivion, Inner Light, Thunderous Rage (For 8% Destro passive on this bar)

cZFDg1f.jpg

Back Bar (vMA Lightning Staff): Molten Armaments, Eruption, Elemental Blockade, Channeled Acceleration, Inner Light, Standard of Might

CP Setup:

Green Tree:

Depends on the trial

Red Tree

Depends on the trial

Blue Tree

61 Thaumaturge

56 Elemental Expert

56 Elfborn

49 Master-at-arms

Rest into spell erosion and staff expert

Rotation Video:

https://youtu.be/akWiUi4QDIM

Molten Armaments > Bar Swap > Flames Of Oblivion > Bar swap > Eruption (every second rotation) > LA > Elemental Blockade > LA > Chanelled Acceleration (every third rota) > Bar Swap > Fully charged heavy attack > Burning Embers > Fully charged heavy attack > Engulfing flames > LA > Flames of Oblivion > Bar Swap > restart at Eruption

Robust Target skeleton parse (alone, with Breach, without Ele Drain):

X7qZlWD.jpg

iCqMnpg.jpg

Keep in mind that these are Robust target dummy parses. I can get more on a normal one, but i usually test on the big one so one can see the consistent base DPS that you can get in trials and factor in Sustain rather then a bursty 3m parse.

Also keep in mind that every single ability and attack except burning embers is full aoe here, and that i suck at remembering rotations and screwed them up quite often.

Big shoutout to all the Peeps who let me use those weird Builds in Endgame Content :*

The build is constantly in development, so any advice in how to improve it further (while staying outside the box please, I know what is BiS on mag dks) is welcome! I will update it continously.
Edited by Masel on 28 July 2018 18:09
PC EU

All Trial Trifecta Titles Done!

Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChVEG6ckuAgGs5OyA6VeisA
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see a bloodspawn clip of this. Being on console, seeing a parse sheet just doesn't do it for me. I also feel like there's a few positive changes you could make. I won't post my heavy attack build until he's mages guild 10 though.
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I'd like to see a bloodspawn clip of this. Being on console, seeing a parse sheet just doesn't do it for me. I also feel like there's a few positive changes you could make. I won't post my heavy attack build until he's mages guild 10 though.

The dps will just be the same, but I can do a video for you if you want :) do you have any concrete suggestions to what I can improve? I've tried many skill combinations and different sets, and this is the most I got out as far as selfbuffed single target is concerned. Bear in mind that the tank wasn't using pierce armor, but inner fire, so with that, you can add 11% on top of the dps parse and the purple precise swords on my back bar took out a lot too, as you spent around 10% of the time on your back bar.

I would farm sharpened ones, but you simply can't find people who run are corinium :D
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭
    Masel92 wrote: »

The dps will just be the same, but I can do a video for you if you want :) do you have any concrete suggestions to what I can improve? I've tried many skill combinations and different sets, and this is the most I got out as far as selfbuffed single target is concerned. Bear in mind that the tank wasn't using pierce armor, but inner fire, so with that, you can add 11% on top of the dps parse and the purple precise swords on my back bar took out a lot too, as you spent around 10% of the time on your back bar.

I would farm sharpened ones, but you simply can't find people who run are corinium :D

Yeah I just like to see how the rotation and also the end time, etc and the numbers during the rotation. It's kind of what we have to work with on Xbox so if I see that I can compare to what I'm putting out and give you some tips.
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

Done like 10 bloodspawns today, messed up all of them and forgot to film twice. Best time to kill was 92 seconds. I think I'll just use the dps-dummy when it comes out. I added some more parses, no good ones, but that is probably as much as I will get as I'm in no real raiding guild.
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭

Done like 10 bloodspawns today, messed up all of them and forgot to film twice. Best time to kill was 92 seconds. I think I'll just use the dps-dummy when it comes out. I added some more parses, no good ones, but that is probably as much as I will get as I'm in no real raiding guild.

Send me a link to one man so I can have a look!
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

Send me a link to one man so I can have a look!

There you go:
    https://youtu.be/6fjXMgpakcQ
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been using that for a while dude. However I found that it worked better using 5 aether, 5 elegant and a vma lit staff. Just using Ele blockade it was seeing 16.7k ticks alone. That's huge damage and was self buffed. Other that was exactly the same as yours, good work but I do think elegant and Aether go hand in hand with each other
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I've been using that for a while dude. However I found that it worked better using 5 aether, 5 elegant and a vma lit staff. Just using Ele blockade it was seeing 16.7k ticks alone. That's huge damage and was self buffed. Other that was exactly the same as yours, good work but I do think elegant and Aether go hand in hand with each other

Illambris and undaunted infiltrator definitely outperforms elegance dps-wise. Even sergeants mail is stronger than elegance, try it out.
    My ticks hit as hard as that, and Illambris adds 3-4k dps on top :)
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭

A flat value is way better than a % in this instance, it works the same same as nirn vs. reinforced on shields.

It's a dps loss, and really 2 buff sets with flat values are also a dps loss.
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like 30k dps, based on that. It's decent but can definitely be improved! I just don't think infiltrator is worth it.
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    It looks like 30k dps, based on that. It's decent but can definitely be improved! I just don't think infiltrator is worth it.

What else would you suggest? or do I have to wait for your build again? You can just send me a message if you don't want to publish it, i won't add changes until you posted your build :) I usually get between 30-32k, depending on how well i perform the rotation.

I wanted to keep the rotation relatively simple, and for that easy rotation, the DPS is very strong, and with sharpened swords on the DW bar, you could get out even more. The DoT ticks are losing around 7% for the time on the back bar because if my precise swords.

And due to the loss of monster set crits in update 13, we have to reconsider illambris, as it will lose a lot of dps, so going for 2 5 piece bonuses might be better.
    Edited by Masel on 31 December 2016 14:23
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Pallio
    Pallio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea, but, I am probably too lazy or not coordinated enough to bar swap ever 10sec. I like IA/Ele. With 1 kena, holding in the 25k range with a good rotation, buff/heals on back bar with vma resto... Getting ready to run vMA some more just getting comfortable, great build ideas keep them coming..
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭

What else would you suggest? or do I have to wait for your build again? You can just send me a message if you don't want to publish it, i won't add changes until you posted your build :) I usually get between 30-32k, depending on how well i perform the rotation.

I wanted to keep the rotation relatively simple, and for that easy rotation, the DPS is very strong, and with sharpened swords on the DW bar, you could get out even more. The DoT ticks are losing around 7% for the time on the back bar because if my precise swords.

You will have to wait! I'll get meteor this week and do some more testing and a write up, I'll be adding in a ranged and melee variety, depending on what the raid group has.

In terms of simple your rotation definitely puts out some damage! However, I have a pretty decent rotation for both ranged and melee that aren't too complex.

Considering you dropped 3 meteors I just don't love the damage it's doing, I mean, in my sorc build (yes different class and spec etc) I dropped 1 thunderous rage and was 16s faster overall.

I'll keep you posted.

As for monster set change, I've been working on an adjusted setup for update 13 ;)
    Edited by Tremors on 31 December 2016 14:40
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

You will have to wait! I'll get meteor this week and do some more testing and a write up, I'll be adding in a ranged and melee variety, depending on what the raid group has.

In terms of simple your rotation definitely puts out some damage! However, I have a pretty decent rotation for both ranged and melee that aren't too complex.

Considering you dropped 3 meteors I just don't love the damage it's doing, I mean, in my sorc build (yes different class and spec etc) I dropped 1 thunderous rage and was 16s faster overall.

I'll keep you posted.

As for monster set change, I've been working on an adjusted setup for update 13 ;)

Cool, thanks. Can't wait for you to steal my thunder :D

I've been just switching out burning embers and engulfing flames, depending on if I was assigned as melee or ranged dd, E.g. for the mage in vAA.

I thought about alternatives for undaunted infiltrator such as moondancer or burning spellweave, but moondancer is not reliable enough to pop synergies (and getting the sd bonus, as you certainly don't need regen) on your back bar exactly when you need them and bsw is too short to just have it on the back bar, and doesn't always proc when you need it. And I wanted to use something else than the stuff most people use. Other than that, I don't know any sets that wouldn't require a complete change of the build setup with dw on the back bar.
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭

I'll keep you posted.

Cool, thanks. Can't wait for you to steal my thunder :D

I've been just switching out burning embers and engulfing flames, depending on if I was assigned as melee or ranged dd, E.g. for the mage in vAA.

I thought about alternatives for undaunted infiltrator such as moondancer or burning spellweave, but moondancer is not reliable enough to pop synergies (and getting the sd bonus, as you certainly don't need regen) on your back bar exactly when you need them and bsw is too short to just have it on the back bar, and doesn't always proc when you need it. And I wanted to use something else than the stuff most people use. Other than that, I don't know any sets that wouldn't require a complete change of the build setup with dw on the back bar.

Honestly I think engulfing and embers are both melee abilities, a ranged should really be around 12m+ away!

Haha there's no thunder stealing here :smile:

I don't think DW is necessary on that bar but it could definitely be viable.
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭
    I just noticed you also had a blazing shield build tanking, wearing infernal guardian...we definitely gotta get your damage up on this.
    Edited by Tremors on 1 January 2017 08:05
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    I just noticed you also had a blazing shield build tanking, wearing infernal guardian...we definitely gotta get your damage up on this.

This is a completely screwed up test, the tank didn't even know that he was supposed to not do anything except taunting, so don't take it as representative :D
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭

This is a completely screwed up test, the tank didn't even know that he was supposed to not do anything except taunting, so don't take it as representative :D

Haha yeah I only noticed the second time I watched it. But the fact he was dpsing and that was your output makes me want to push another 7-10k dps out of this build which I believe I have in my setup.
    Edited by Tremors on 1 January 2017 10:26
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Added a Melee version that does around 3-4k additional dps.
    Edited by Masel on 2 January 2017 17:06
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Toast_STS
    Toast_STS
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Masel92 Do you think this will screw up this build?

From PTS patch notes
    -Fixed an issue where some item set procs that were meant to fire off of fully-charged Heavy Attacks (such as Sunderflame or Wise Mage) were firing on every tick of a Lightning or Restoration Staff Heavy Attack.
    VR14 DK Leaps-in-keeps
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Toast_STS wrote: »

From PTS patch notes
    -Fixed an issue where some item set procs that were meant to fire off of fully-charged Heavy Attacks (such as Sunderflame or Wise Mage) were firing on every tick of a Lightning or Restoration Staff Heavy Attack.

Fudge, this might be the real killer. I feared that the destro passive ancient knowledge change would nerf it significantly, but this is far worse. If Aether doesn't proc for every tick, it gets useless all the way tbh, same holds for sergeants mail, undanted infiltrator etc.
    Edited by Masel on 4 January 2017 00:58
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Revamped the build for Homestead and added a vMA version.
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭

Deeeeecent changes man but no slayer? Need this to drop on Xbox so I can test.
    Edited by Tremors on 24 January 2017 18:25
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative

Deeeeecent changes man but no slayer? Need this to drop on Xbox so I can test.

That is an issue I know, but I wanted to keep the basic concept of the build and Undaunted infiltrator. I thought about going for Moondancer instead, but let's be realistic, who on earth is going to grind two sharpened Moondancer swords, plus the five piece bonus is too unreliable for the use in this build, and aether is a clear dps liss compared to bsw :D I'm totally fine with the 32k sustained selfbuffed dps I get with this :) heavy attack builds aren't dead, still 20k per crit tick when berserk and bsw are on B)
    Edited by Masel on 24 January 2017 18:40
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Tremors
    Tremors
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah I don't know if moon-dancer is the better option. I have 1 setup I really want to try. I'll let you know how it goes when it's live.
    Passionfruit GM - PC NA
    Godslayer | Dawnbringer
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Added a utiity version of the build.
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

From PTS patch notes

@Masel92

Does this change negatively affect this build? It looks amazing being based off heavy attacks as sustain is never an issue.
    Edited by mr_wazzabi on 29 January 2017 19:59
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • mr_wazzabi
    mr_wazzabi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edit double post
    Edited by mr_wazzabi on 29 January 2017 19:59
    Bosmer Stamina NB
    Altmer Magicka TEMP
    Dunmer DK both stam/mag (depends what I feel like)
    Altmer Magicka NB
    Breton Magicka Sorc
    Redguard Stam Sorc
    Max CP
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    mr_wazzabi wrote: »

From PTS patch notes

@Masel92

Does this change negatively affect this build? It looks amazing being based off heavy attacks as sustain is never an issue.

How does infallible aether compare to undaunted weaver based on your testing?

How about ie with different combos of the sets you used? Ie + undaunted weaver, ie + elegant, ie + bsw.

The flat minor slayer plus minor vulnerability from fully heavy attacks look interesting.
    mr_wazzabi wrote: »

From PTS patch notes

@Masel92

How does infallible aether compare to undaunted weaver based on your testing?

How about ie with different combos of the sets you used? Ie + undaunted weaver, ie + elegant, ie + bsw.

The flat minor slayer plus minor vulnerability from fully heavy attacks look interesting.

I spent two months literally testing all sets that buffed heavy attacks(elegance, undaunted infiltrator, aether, spider cultist etc.). I used aether in the prior version of this build and it was slightly stronger than BSW, but now with the change you mentioned, BSW became the uncontested Best in Slot for this Build. I get a 45-50% uptime on concussion by myself now and as that gives minor vulnerability now, aether has become obsolete in raids as long as you have one or two sorcs or dks with Lightning damage.

I will update the vma version as soon as I get some testing done by myself on live.

But please mess around with this build and maybe you discover a way that to improve it that I missed until now.

Edited by Masel on 29 January 2017 19:59
    PC EU

Youtube:
  • Masel
    Masel
    Class Representative
    Undaunted unweaver is trash, don't use that, it requires using stamina based skills. Undaunted infiltrator is good as it is based on magicka based skills :)
    PC EU

Youtube: