The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Console players - We want text typing chat?

• PKMN12
    PKMN12
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, there has to be text chat in a MMO
    PKMN12 wrote: »
    Kalifas wrote: »
    uberkull wrote: »
    StaticWax wrote: »
    You forgot:

• I'm only playing console because there is no text chat. ✔

Then honestly you shouldn't be playing a MMO. Grab Dragon Age Inquistion. MMOs are highly social, with the good and the bad (spam), but text is necessary.

You can honestly tell me that, with all the design decisions made in ESO from Beta till today, that this isn't more of a single-player game with multiplayer elements? IT works great that way. Skyrim with friends.

But from the very beginning, this has been a terrible MMO. When you have to literally use a dozen mobs to make it a passable MMO, maybe it's time to admit that what the developers made and intend, versus what many of the players tried to make it into (rather unsuccessfully, I might add) aren't the same thing.

Whether you want it to be or not, this is an MMO, it is labled as such, even by the devs.

the devs HONESTLY belived they could make an MMO without so many NEEDED features, mostly because they wanted to get the TES fans who were rabid against anything in a tes game that was not in morrowind, problems is, the two are basically impossible to actually mix.

why anyone could think otherwise is beyond me.

This game is far from a Skyrim with friends. That would be a MSORPG, and wouldn't need thousands of players online in the same world, the story would affect the world more. All content would be soloable and scale in strength to one or three friends.

I would probably play a Massive single player or co-op rpg more than this which is probably what Elder Scrolls 6 will be. But since they have me play with hundreds of other players. There shouldn't be roadblocks to options,communication, and grouping.

that.....is EXACTLY what i just said. they TRIED to make Skyrim with freinds, but failed.

Disagree. Players tried to make 'WoW with Skyrim theme' and failed.

Skyrim with friends works pretty damn well in my opinion.

not according to the ENTIRE DEV TEAM they did not, they outright said they were trying to make a multiplayer

um, no, it would be a failure, everyone would be using the same abilties, weapons, and armor, people like you need to learn what MMOs are like before you type something like this.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot:

Then honestly you shouldn't be playing a MMO. Grab Dragon Age Inquistion. MMOs are highly social, with the good and the bad (spam), but text is necessary.

You can honestly tell me that, with all the design decisions made in ESO from Beta till today, that this isn't more of a single-player game with multiplayer elements? IT works great that way. Skyrim with friends.

But from the very beginning, this has been a terrible MMO. When you have to literally use a dozen mobs to make it a passable MMO, maybe it's time to admit that what the developers made and intend, versus what many of the players tried to make it into (rather unsuccessfully, I might add) aren't the same thing.

Whether you want it to be or not, this is an MMO, it is labled as such, even by the devs.

the devs HONESTLY belived they could make an MMO without so many NEEDED features, mostly because they wanted to get the TES fans who were rabid against anything in a tes game that was not in morrowind, problems is, the two are basically impossible to actually mix.

There are MANY different MMO's, though. And I've played most of them. From the traditional elements in UO, EQ, SWG, to the interesting Tabula Rasa's first-person shooter. At one point Guild Wars phasing system was seen as so bogus because the worlds weren't persistant for all players, and now look at the franchise.

I've played everything from 2d to full 3d MMO's. Heavily instanced to only one instance for everyone. Sci-fi to fantasy. First person shooter to controlling multiple avatars at the same time in group format. I even tried a turn-based asian MMO that was horrible once.

An MMO without a keyboard? Not the most extreme version of 'massively multiplayer online' game I've seen, for sure.

If your argument is that it's not like WoW, on the otherhand ... well, my only response is 'thank God'.

I am confused, i was pointing out that it WAS an MMO, an MMO missing pretty much hald the options that come standard now a days with an MMO and made by a company that manges to be worse then Cryptic/PErfect World, but still an MMO...not sure where you post even came from.

My point is that 'Massively Multiplayer Online' covers many, many different styles and varieties, with many different options. What you consider 'standard', are merely what WoW copied from other games and what every game released since WoW copied from WoW.

But there was a time before WoW, when an MMO could be many different things. Could be fun. Wasn't standardized. Could be unique. ESO by it's realm design is already reaching back to this Golden Age of MMO's, copying so much from Dark Age of Camelot.

I feel there needs to be more diversity and unique design, not less. I know that there is an era of players who only know ONEthing, because no developer has had the guts to step out of the mold.

Who knows? Maybe if ESO does well, which I believe it will do exceptionally well on consoles, the future of MMOs will be priortiy voice chat and no more keyboard reliance.

You're going through all these MMO facts, and all we are really asking for is a standard function that's been in every MMO I've ever played....text chat. Anytime you label a game as a MMO, text chat is required as default.
    Edited by Uberkull on 27 April 2015 02:59
    ▬ஜ Seeds of War, Piles of Skulls ஜ▬
    ▬▬▬ஜ twitch.tv/uberkull ஜ▬▬▬
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    You forgot:

There are MANY different MMO's, though. And I've played most of them. From the traditional elements in UO, EQ, SWG, to the interesting Tabula Rasa's first-person shooter. At one point Guild Wars phasing system was seen as so bogus because the worlds weren't persistant for all players, and now look at the franchise.

I've played everything from 2d to full 3d MMO's. Heavily instanced to only one instance for everyone. Sci-fi to fantasy. First person shooter to controlling multiple avatars at the same time in group format. I even tried a turn-based asian MMO that was horrible once.

An MMO without a keyboard? Not the most extreme version of 'massively multiplayer online' game I've seen, for sure.

If your argument is that it's not like WoW, on the otherhand ... well, my only response is 'thank God'.

I am confused, i was pointing out that it WAS an MMO, an MMO missing pretty much hald the options that come standard now a days with an MMO and made by a company that manges to be worse then Cryptic/PErfect World, but still an MMO...not sure where you post even came from.

My point is that 'Massively Multiplayer Online' covers many, many different styles and varieties, with many different options. What you consider 'standard', are merely what WoW copied from other games and what every game released since WoW copied from WoW.

But there was a time before WoW, when an MMO could be many different things. Could be fun. Wasn't standardized. Could be unique. ESO by it's realm design is already reaching back to this Golden Age of MMO's, copying so much from Dark Age of Camelot.

I feel there needs to be more diversity and unique design, not less. I know that there is an era of players who only know ONEthing, because no developer has had the guts to step out of the mold.

Who knows? Maybe if ESO does well, which I believe it will do exceptionally well on consoles, the future of MMOs will be priortiy voice chat and no more keyboard reliance.

You're going through all these MMO facts, and all we are really asking for is a standard function that's been in every MMO ove ever played....text chat. Anytime you label a game as a MMO, text chat is required as default.

I agree, but with the caveat that it's due to the fact that the technology behind voice chat has been 'iffy' at best until recently. As VOIP becomes more reliable and mainstream, it's entirely possible it will replace the long-used but outdated system of text chat.

At one point in time every MMO included public dungeons and non-phased world zones, until the technology to allow on-demand shard splitting and phasing became good enough to make it useable.

My point to both this post and the next, is that my very long and very involved experience in MMO's has shown me that NO function or feature is required to make a game an MMO, outside of the large number of players you can meet. Everything else is up for evolution.

And heck, even Guild Wars really only let you meet them in limited social zones, and it was still considered an MMO. Go figure.
    Ruze Aulus. Mayor of Dhalmora. Archer, hunter, assassin. Nightblade.
    Gral. Mountain Terror. Barbarian, marauder, murderer. Nightblade.
    Na'Djin. Knight-Blade. Knight, vanguard, defender. Nightblade.

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Kalifas wrote: »
    You forgot:

This game is far from a Skyrim with friends. That would be a MSORPG, and wouldn't need thousands of players online in the same world, the story would affect the world more. All content would be soloable and scale in strength to one or three friends.

I would probably play a Massive single player or co-op rpg more than this which is probably what Elder Scrolls 6 will be. But since they have me play with hundreds of other players. There shouldn't be roadblocks to options,communication, and grouping.

that.....is EXACTLY what i just said. they TRIED to make Skyrim with freinds, but failed.

Disagree. Players tried to make 'WoW with Skyrim theme' and failed.

Skyrim with friends works pretty damn well in my opinion.

not according to the ENTIRE DEV TEAM they did not, they outright said they were trying to make a multiplayer

um, no, it would be a failure, everyone would be using the same abilties, weapons, and armor, people like you need to learn what MMOs are like before you type something like this.

Hahaha ....

XBOX NA
    Ruze is a veteran of the PC Beta, lived through the year one drought, survived the buy-to-play conversion, and has stepped foot in the hells known as Craglorn. He mained a nightlbade when nightblades weren't good, and has never worn a robe. He converted from PC during the console betas, and hasn't regretted it a moment since.

He'd rank ESO:TU (in it's current state) a 4.8 out of 5, loving the game almost entirely.

This is an multiplayer game. I should be able to log in, join a dungeon, join a battleground, queue for a dolmen or world boss or delve, teleport in, play for 20 minutes, and not worry about getting kicked, failing to join, having perfect voice coms, or being unable to complete content because someone's lagging behind. Group Finder and matchmaking is broken. Take a note from Destiny and build a system that allows from drop-in/drop-out functionality and quick play.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You forgot:

You're going through all these MMO facts, and all we are really asking for is a standard function that's been in every MMO ove ever played....text chat. Anytime you label a game as a MMO, text chat is required as default.

I agree, but with the caveat that it's due to the fact that the technology behind voice chat has been 'iffy' at best until recently. As VOIP becomes more reliable and mainstream, it's entirely possible it will replace the long-used but outdated system of text chat.

At one point in time every MMO included public dungeons and non-phased world zones, until the technology to allow on-demand shard splitting and phasing became good enough to make it useable.

My point to both this post and the next, is that my very long and very involved experience in MMO's has shown me that NO function or feature is required to make a game an MMO, outside of the large number of players you can meet. Everything else is up for evolution.

And heck, even Guild Wars really only let you meet them in limited social zones, and it was still considered an MMO. Go figure.

I've made this point elsewhere. Let's take voice. In a crowded room, a party, your ears have the ability to filter out distant voices, focus on close conversations. There is distance between sounds in that room, which allows you to filter out those voices you don't want to hear.

In Cryodiil, for example, if it is to work you will need more than the planned proximity voice. You need to communicate with everyone at one point or another in your faction. So imagine, all the voices coming at you at once in your headphones or speakers. You can't tell who is where, what location the hoard of voices is coming from. There is no depth in voice chat, you can't discern from who's voice is where.

Same would apply to 500 guild members, if only 50 talked at the same time...voice overload for speakers.

Text chat allows you to direct and discern the information you need to know.
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Taking Cyrodiil as your for instance:

Why do you need to communicate with everyone? If you are organizing an event to capture a keep, for instance, you can do so using the 'looking for group' tool, your friends list, or anyone who may be in your local area. Make a raid party and have a blast!

You will know where the action is if you simply look at your map. Most players may not be aware of this since the minimap addons don't all show the same info, but on your map it shows scroll locations and current battles. Want to get into the fight? Charge!

Text chat gave players more information, no doubt. It also highly encouraged zerging and discouraged independent tactics.

I realize that it was merely players using the tools that best suited them. And I realize that, even with no text chat, zerging will still be priority numero uno on consoles. But it's quite possible that forcing players to work the next step and aquire more information, using group scouts and whatnot, may add another dimension to Cyrodiil which just isn't there on the PC.

That's what I'm hoping for. In the meantime, these little group fights are fun as heck, let me tell ya.

XBOX NA

• Argoniawind
    Argoniawind
    ✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Enough with these posts about a chat screen, I don't want it in my Elder scrolls game, it's bad enough there is one on the pc and I have to keep closing it....
    "Live Another Life In Another World"
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Enough with these posts about a chat screen, I don't want it in my Elder scrolls game, it's bad enough there is one on the pc and I have to keep closing it....

Your Elder Scrolls game? Funny, last time I checked it didn't say Single a player game on the box. Definitely the wrong game choice if you don't want to be social. Go play Skyrim.
  • Argoniawind
    Argoniawind
    ✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

Your Elder Scrolls game? Funny, last time I checked it didn't say Single a player game on the box. Definitely the wrong game choice if you don't want to be social. Go play Skyrim.

When I play I play alone, my game my world... I will continue to play Morrowind and Oblivion on my 360 thank you very much and infact eso on Xbox too...
    Edited by Argoniawind on 27 April 2015 04:39
  • Alphashado
    Alphashado
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Perhaps you should consider playing an ES game that wasn't designed to be played with a million other people then.

• Nerio
    Nerio
    ✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Prior to playing in the beta I felt that text chat would be necessary, but after playing and pvping with a dozen or so people all weekend, I didn't find myself missing it.
  • Kalifas
    Kalifas
    ✭✭✭
    You forgot:

No matter how good voice chat becomes it will never replace text based communication completely. Plus audio equals more bits to stream over the web. If it didn't video chat would replace both methods in some arenas. Not only will the game have to run through internet but now also extra audio for chat, not for a couple of guilds like teamspeak or something but the whole damn server.

Even if voice chat became standard and typing become obsolete, not everyone would talk. Often people do not like talking while playing games in types besides player versus player.
    An Avid fan of Elder Scrolls Online. Check out my Concepts Repository!
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nerio wrote: »
    Prior to playing in the beta I felt that text chat would be necessary, but after playing and pvping with a dozen or so people all weekend, I didn't find myself missing it.

A dozen people isn't Cyrodiil pvp. The beta didn't have enough people that leveled to 10 AND participated in PVP.

You didn't experience what will be there in June, that's if the console can even handle that number of people on the screen. Also something the beta couldn't prove out.
    Edited by Uberkull on 27 April 2015 11:22
  • Robotmafia
    Robotmafia
    ✭✭✭
    just gonna suck for people with out keyboards but it does bring a lot of advantages with it.. for example selling stuff in zone chat or guild recruitment or searching for people to grind or quest with
    Robot Who Owes Money: Look into your hard drive and open your mercy file!
    Donbot: File not found.

EU/PC
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭
    Robotmafia wrote: »
    just gonna suck for people with out keyboards but it does bring a lot of advantages with it.. for example selling stuff in zone chat or guild recruitment or searching for people to grind or quest with

Not sure about the Xbox one but the PS4 has a build in keyboard app for texting along with supporting USB & Bluetooth keyboards.

Mirra Halfelven, Templar Troublemaker
    Daggerfall Covenant - PS4 NA
    PSN: Scooby_609
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    You forgot:

I've made this point elsewhere. Let's take voice. In a crowded room, a party, your ears have the ability to filter out distant voices, focus on close conversations. There is distance between sounds in that room, which allows you to filter out those voices you don't want to hear.

In Cryodiil, for example, if it is to work you will need more than the planned proximity voice. You need to communicate with everyone at one point or another in your faction. So imagine, all the voices coming at you at once in your headphones or speakers. You can't tell who is where, what location the hoard of voices is coming from. There is no depth in voice chat, you can't discern from who's voice is where.

Same would apply to 500 guild members, if only 50 talked at the same time...voice overload for speakers.

Or you could just plan and organize so that people can jump in and out as needed.
    Raid leaders can use party chat (outside of the game) while staying grouped inside and keeping the kids clear

It's 2015 we can do so much now....text chat is getting outdated. It's 20 years+ old in the MMO market
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure about the Xbox one but the PS4 has a build in keyboard app for texting along with supporting USB & Bluetooth keyboards.

Xbox has the SnartGlass app that had a very good keyboard interface that allows you to type anywhere throughout the Xbox UI and Games.

I'm starting to wonder if ZOS scrapped text chat support because they didn't want to moderate/police it. And no way for bots to spam their gold selling racket.

At this point from what we saw in beta, there doesn't even need to be a full time MMO GM...nothing to do.

• Hogzknuckle
    No, voice chat is enough
    With the announcement that there will be NO text based chat on console, only voice proximity chat, is this acceptable for a MMO? Think of PvP, Trade professions, and general text chat in any MMO, then decide...do we want text typing chat?

Haven't read all the post so sorry if I repeat anyone else's thoughts but I am pretty ZOS realizes that proximity chat won't be enough when trying to form groups, sell items, create guilds, look for crafters, etc. So I would imagine, and strongly hope, that they will have a system in place to address these needs. Who knows, maybe the Group Finder on console will actually find you a group.
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    You forgot:

Or you could just plan and organize so that people can jump in and out as needed.
    Raid leaders can use party chat (outside of the game) while staying grouped inside and keeping the kids clear

It's 2015 we can do so much now....text chat is getting outdated. It's 20 years+ old in the MMO market

[...]

I played the beta and along with other console games it's very easy to do.

Also the transition of technology doesn't have the roadblocks that ppl feel it does as the consoles have many alternate means of communication via text that can easily provide better communication methods than what PC is limited as its just one game vs an entire gaming network of millions off ppl across many games.

Also the reality that MMO games that "good" guilds or those who feel they are good require voice chat.

I disagree that text chat is a requirement but it's more of a form of comfort to the MMO market. It's definitely not the best form of communication as the world has proven that text or type information over the Internet is very limited in comparison to voice. It's why the websites write and article that now we see more and more, it's a video article vs text only.

[Moderator Note: Removed moderated quote]
    Edited by ZOS_ArtG on 27 April 2015 15:01
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

Xbox has the SnartGlass app that had a very good keyboard interface that allows you to type anywhere throughout the Xbox UI and Games.

I'm starting to wonder if ZOS scrapped text chat support because they didn't want to moderate/police it. And no way for bots to spam their gold selling racket.

At this point from what we saw in beta, there doesn't even need to be a full time MMO GM...nothing to do.

On Xbox at least, there's the 'report player' feature. That's our GM for multiplayer games.

XBOX NA

• Argoniawind
    Argoniawind
    ✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Alphashado wrote: »

Perhaps you should consider playing an ES game that wasn't designed to be played with a million other people then.

Perhaps you and everyone else that wants the chat window should just continue to play the pc version that has that feature!!!
    I don't want the console version to be like the pc version!! I don't want addons with all stupid stuff all over my screen and I don't want or will use the chat window... headset is more than enough and im not gonna be using that!
  • RainfeatherUK
    RainfeatherUK
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Not everyone wants to use voice comms. So his/her point is valid. Ignorant pretty much sums it up. Text hasnt just lasted so long because of technological capability, we've had the capacity to move beyond it for a while. It simply works, and by many is prefered. Its popular. Not sure what else there is to say.

That said, the games are headed that way anyway. Why bother trying to vote against the dumbing down anymore :/
    Edited by RainfeatherUK on 27 April 2015 12:35
  • Ser Lobo
    Ser Lobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough
    Not everyone wants to use voice comms. So his/her point is valid. Ignorant pretty much sums it up. Text hasnt just lasted so long because of technological capability, we've had the capacity to move beyond it for a while. It simply works, and by many is prefered. Its popular. Not sure what else there is to say.

That said, the games are headed that way anyway. Why bother trying to vote against the dumbing down :/

You can still send players messages, emails, and use forums for communication. As well, there are emotes if your feeling mime-ish.

Not everyone does want to use voice. Just like not everyone uses text. Text has been the major holdout across MMO designs, but other games have already gotten rid of the keyboard for chatting, and MMO's are about the last real champion of text-based communication.

When and if ZOS ever add in vocal callouts on a radial menu similar to the emote wheel, we'll see even more participation.

I feel NewBlackSmurf isn't ignorant by any means. He may be more educated in the transitions of the gaming market as a whole than other players, seeing not just the trend of MMOs but the trend of multiplayer games in general. And I agree with him on this.

Console players are going to love this game. PC players may never be able to get over the fact that they can't do slash commands or spam zone chat to communicate. Nothing has highlighted the differences in the two gaming mindsets to me like this one issue.

Because for straight console players that I've seen and played with, there is no issue.

XBOX NA

• NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, voice chat is enough

That said, the games are headed that way anyway. Why bother trying to vote against the dumbing down :/

Your statement is very very very true and correct.
    Take into consideration there is a population that feel the exact same way about text chat.

Tradition isn't a good validation to add something that has proven its outcome on the PC platform.
    We all realize that text chat can definately open up communication to cover large areas but that can also be a very negative thing. What comes with text chat is unavoidable.

Picking a method of communication in a game and allowing users to opt in or out also works just as well.

Human behaviors will adapt as needed and this allows the console versions to be different than PC which tend to market to a completely different target and customer base.

Three platforms and two different experiences creates value in owning both for someone like me who has played since 2013 beta. Owns all bundles on PC but just purchased the console version too

If they make the two the same then there is no expectation or reason to sub for ESO plus on both.

It's different and awkward if your use to traditional MMO social communications but to say it's not logical is a big assumption.
  • Mirra_Halfelven
    Mirra_Halfelven
    ✭✭✭

If you think voice only chat is going to solve this then you are sadly mistaken, I've heard more vile, racist, annoying, & rude comments spoken in game voice chat than anything I have ever seen in a text chat on any game I ever played....

Point is we need both voice & text chat for a MMO like ESO because simply there are instances where yes voice chat is much better for example dungeon runs. Other times text chat is really the only option ... recruiting for guild in game, offering craft-sevices "Blacksmith for hire", or when you need to communicate across a zone "Hey dolman X is up anyone wanna come help?" or "Bunch of AD/EP/DC are heading to Keep X".

Mirra Halfelven, Templar Troublemaker
    Daggerfall Covenant - PS4 NA
    PSN: Scooby_609
  • Cry_Wolfe
    Cry_Wolfe
    ✭✭✭
    from what i saw on the dev vlog:
    2 simultaneous voice channels at any one time
    an emote wheel similar to the PC quick item radial
    and they said that the same system for "equipping" emotes would be used for "equipping" standardised text, they pointed out that they have scanned thousands of chat logs to gather a list of the most used text lines.

selling items could be as easy as clicking on an item, selecting [link to chat], selecting a text line (sell) dialing up a figure (gold) and sending to text, probably less key presses that typing it up. Of course its just conjecture seeing as they said the text chat ui isnt in the beta yet.

I'd love the emote wheel on pc, and the text chat wheel as well really, oh and the voice comms :(
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anytime you label a game as a MMO, text chat is required as default.

Text chat exists because there was nothing else and no other way to communicate. Today, text chat is supplemented by voice chat and that is an evolution. It is getting to the point where voice communications is now the preferred way to communicate in tactical situations and that is why guilds and parties are using it in ESO, for both PVE and PVP. Text chat is for the people who are still stuck without voice.

I want to see filtered proximity voice chat be a standard feature in MMO games on every platform. Not Team Speak, or Vox, or Ventrilo, or any third party application. True integrated and coordinated voice chat. That is the direction that MMOs need to be heading towards, not text chat.
    Let's take voice. In a crowded room, a party, your ears have the ability to filter out distant voices, focus on close conversations. There is distance between sounds in that room, which allows you to filter out those voices you don't want to hear.

There is a ton of room for innovation in terms of voice communications between players in an MMO. Applying filtered 3D positional audio that allows the player to determine direction and get a feel for distance is to audio what games already provide for visuals. Can Player A hear Player B and how is that translated into direction and distance in real time?

I am not saying that the console will have this level of technology, but there will come a time when it will be expected.
    I'm starting to wonder if ZOS scrapped text chat support because they didn't want to moderate/police it.

Voice is a whole new level of OMG for the MMO police force at ZOS.

The terms of service still apply for voice chat. People are not allowed to say certain things, and they will. People will assume that they are a faceless and anonymous person and will say whatever they please. Because it will be easier than typing, this will include all sorts of "open mouth before engaging brain" situations. There will be death threats, sexual harassment, racial/language harassment, and more. People will break the ToS and, since this is a primary form of communication, it is not ideal for ZOS to just ignore what happens in voice. If they do, and things get bad in there, people will be driven away.

I certainly hope that they are prepared for this and did not just bolt a shiny on the side of the game because it was low cost. They need to have a way to police voice chat, and that may be recordings, people listening in, or even machine transcription for the supported/common languages.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    HarryWolfe wrote: »
    from what i saw on the dev vlog:
    2 simultaneous voice channels at any one time
    an emote wheel similar to the PC quick item radial
    and they said that the same system for "equipping" emotes would be used for "equipping" standardised text, they pointed out that they have scanned thousands of chat logs to gather a list of the most used text lines.

selling items could be as easy as clicking on an item, selecting [link to chat], selecting a text line (sell) dialing up a figure (gold) and sending to text, probably less key presses that typing it up. Of course its just conjecture seeing as they said the text chat ui isnt in the beta yet.

I'd love the emote wheel on pc, and the text chat wheel as well really, oh and the voice comms :(

For console? You sure this was a current VLog and not what they tried and scrapped?

What we have in console beta is what we're getting in the June release. And that has a awful emote implementation, have to go to the settings menu and scroll down and through all the available emotes....all while not seeing your character.
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you think voice only chat is going to solve this then you are sadly mistaken, I've heard more vile, racist, annoying, & rude comments spoken in game voice chat than anything I have ever seen in a text chat on any game I ever played....

On Xbox, voice chat is handled by the Microsoft servers and such is policed by Microsoft. It's up to you to report the player via the Microsoft system to take care of these player issues.

I don't think ZOS is handling the policing of voice chat as they are using the Microsoft servers for chat. Any reports that they are using their mega servers for voice too??
    Edited by Uberkull on 27 April 2015 13:21
  • Uberkull
    Uberkull
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's take voice. In a crowded room, a party, your ears have the ability to filter out distant voices, focus on close conversations. There is distance between sounds in that room, which allows you to filter out those voices you don't want to hear.

There is a ton of room for innovation in terms of voice communications between players in an MMO. Applying filtered 3D positional audio that allows the player to determine direction and get a feel for distance is to audio what games already provide for visuals. Can Player A hear Player B and how is that translated into direction and distance in real time?

I am not saying that the console will have this level of technology, but there will come a time when it will be expected.

I highly doubt ZOS is intending to blaze the trail for MMOs of the future. They are focusing on anything required to save another sinking MMO that started out sub and went B2P, trying to hang-on.

On to that technology you are referring too won't exist for another 10 years, if it's even practical. It's not practical when a majority of console players still just use the TV speakers as their primary sound source. I have to keep telling my friends how great the sounds and soundtrack are on a certain game, yet they don't hear anything special because they are listening through their TV speakers.

So now you ask all console players to get headphones with future spacial sound technology...still won't work with more than 20 people in an area talking at the same time. In a real environment, you use sight to correlate the sound you are hearing with where it's coming from. 'WTF did she say about Bob?' ...and 'she' is 30 feet across the room from where you are, holding a conversation with three other people.

Edited by Uberkull on 27 April 2015 13:22
This discussion has been closed.